Nov 16 - Back to Goblins

Discuss the comic here!
Lumenaught
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Lumenaught

Re: Nov 16 - Back to Goblins

Post by Lumenaught » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:17 pm

Minmax you idiot... You needed to tell her you love her.
Not beat around the bush, not 'see' her... Just admit your MANLY emotions!

"Kin, I love you." /drink

Its not poetry, its not clever, its truth and thats enough. (Especially for a smart = sexy person.)
("Kin if the stars in the heavens sung of the ultimate beauty, to me they would be singing of you." would be nice & all but not Minmax 156 & stupid is not the same as knowing thyself.)
JessicaB wrote: Um..I think a better question would be, why should she?
I think because this is suppose to be true love.
If you cant forgive your true love...well...

Gryphonic
Voices Opinions

Post by Gryphonic » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:22 pm

How did Minmax and Forgath switch places? I didn't see them face around, but no one else has mentioned it so that might be me missing the obvious.
Kudos on getting Minmax's hand 'right' over a long interval, though.
Image Joiiiiiin ussssssss.....

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:47 pm

Even if Kin decides to go after Minmax, she can still run the Maze of Many a few times until she can claim the teapot and leave normally, probably with the rest of the Kinship in tow. (Why would they enter this reality? Other than the fact that the story takes place here? Maybe because Reality 156 offers them a friendly cleric ready and willing to cast Remove Curse on their leashes, and almost at a high enough level to do it.) Kin can still leave at the same time Minmax and Forgath did, just not at the same point. Having retrieved the jade teapot from the maze, she can leave it with the other Kins (or hide it somewhere safe) and then teleport herself to Minmax -- arriving just a few minutes later. Or maybe all of the Kinship teleport to join up with Forgath and travel with him until he can Remove Curse on their leashes, and then they make their way back to wherever they stashed the jade teapot and finish Kin's quest. Of course, that plan would fall apart if Forgath got killed fighting Kore in the minutes that passed before Kin rejoins them.

Maybe after a few runs (or a few dozen) through the maze, enough subjective time (weeks? months?) will have elapsed for Kin to -- maybe not forgive Minmax for grabbing the leash, but at least get enough distance to talk things out.

janitor
Remains Silent

Post by janitor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I just logged in to say this:

Hell yeah!

Punzil504
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Punzil504 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:06 pm

Now I'm concerned that Forgath isn't going to survive this encounter.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:08 pm

I suspect Forgath was thinking of that silly little goblin with terrible stats, whereas Minmax was of course thinking of that rule-breaking dink-face goblin; they simply appeared directly in front of whoever they were thinking of.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Taiine
Remains Silent

Post by Taiine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I have to wonder. Back when the oblivion holes were first noticed, Kin picked up rather fast what was going on when Minmax was throwing in his cloths.
If she remembers all the bonding and events between her and Minmax and all they shared, even if no one remembers the 'ken' neckless wouldn't she be able to put two and two together and come up with chair? Like, one moment she was fully trusting him and the next, instant mood change! Shed have to have picked up on that oddity.

Plus if she goes with the other Kin and the place resets, wont the neckless return? Sense all actions are undone even if they made the maze think they all came from the same world. So she would instantly recall why she trusted him.

Yamadasan
Mutters to Themself

Post by Yamadasan » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I've detailed why Kin and Minmax worked and un-worked prevoiusly. Having a lot to do with the whole "if he loves her, he listens to her request and leaves instead of listening to himself and staying"

The end exchange of him drinking the Tea, and her reaction to him actually drinking it, as well as the whole "hurt hand" deal, further supports my theory of the end of things.

I still have no idea how they're going to get there, but Kin and Minmax will join the Gap, while Foregath attempts to take Kore down to hell with him. Kin will end up with Foregath's Mace and becomes a Cleric for the party, with the new goal of removing her Collar upon reaching level 5, but she's behind the rest of them at the moment in levels.

The upcoming fight and realization scenes are going to be my favorite moments, but I don't doubt Kin will head over to Minmax before they even get off the bridge.

And the new Dungeon they're entering? I want it to have more combat and less booby-traps. Damn does Thunt rock at the booby Trap creation, but...give me more of the 1-hp Orc's and Plant monster, less of the 30 room's of terror.

Darthwalker
Remains Silent

Post by Darthwalker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:41 pm

The thing about Kin at this point, is that their is no wrong time she can appear. Time in the maze doesn't change, she can only appear at the instant that she entered, so the exact time that MinMax and Forgath did. To keep with the rules set by the maze of many Kin should appear in the very next update or not at all. This also gives rise to the possibility that Kin could stay in the maze for what seems like years, leveling and all around kicking ass, and actually be the savior of all of our heroes. She could come out as super badass epic leveled Kin and just kill Kore easily. This is unlikely to happen, but if Thunt listens to his own rules then Kin will be here not only soon, but immediately.

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:12 pm

drekhan wrote:Now kin will realize that she is connected to Minmax, but something will happen to the teapot or to her that will prevent her from ever seeing Minmax again.

How do I know?

Because Thunt is viscerally offended by joy and happiness.
Oh, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he intended to give the series a complete and utter downer ending... if there's any bright spots in the epilogue, it'll be only to lessen the sting of knowing just how messed up things ended up...

It kind of reminds me of a scene in one of the Sword of Truth series, where Richard had to carve statues and reliefs for Communist-expys.. he would make the most beautiful images, the most touching scenes.. and then deliberately mar them to demoralize people that much more.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Totally off topic: But isn't that PsiMax I see in frame 6 of http://www.goblinscomic.org/10262010-3/ ?

Darkpool
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Darkpool » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:35 pm

Darthwalker wrote:To keep with the rules set by the maze of many Kin should appear in the very next update or not at all.
She'll leave the Maze at the sword, so she'll need to get to Minmax and Fogarth. Either she could use the teapot immediately, which will take several minutes to brew the tea, or she can go home and teleport after finishing her quest. Of course, Minmax is about to get into a fight, so she'll know immediately if he's taking damage and will (most likely) rush to help him. Even so, it will take time, probably minutes, to prepare the tea. So she might not join the party for twenty or thirty pages, depending on the length and pacing of what comes next. Maybe longer, if the fight is interspersed with pages from the Maze of Many before Kin leaves.

Jon Snow
Mutters to Themself

Post by Jon Snow » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

SamWiser wrote:Is it just me, or do the Goblins look strange from behind?
Nah, it's just been that long since Thunt has drawn them haha

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:14 am

RJJ7 wrote:Haven't read the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been answered, but does anyone know what those weird looking creatures in the last panel are?

Must be evil creatures, they look so knobbly !. :lol:
RJJ7 wrote:Why shouldn't she forgive him?
Because forgiving someone is a big thing. And remaining afraid of someone, and not forgiving them because "Phhhft, THAT guy, who needs that guy?. Dumb, impulsive, no pants, bald, arrogant . . . he impulsively hurt me and thinks a sorry is enough to wipe the slate? . . . what do I need that guy for, exactly?" is the easy, ground state kind of reaction.

If it wasn't for the seeing thing, she would, in fact could, have not one objective reason to even regret not ever seeing him again. She isn't going to see the majority of the worlds men again, why should she care about one more?.
Last edited by AntMac on Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Overlord David
Remains Silent

Post by Overlord David » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:31 am

I have a feeling the silver clad Paladin really is Forgath.... from the future. Where he abandons all his sentimental questions about if monsters are good or evil or not an sides firmly on the view they are evil. A future where Minmax is dead and he is dead inside.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:58 am

Ruby had just better hope that Kin doesn't put two and two together. She has an indestructible tail and she hugs to win.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Insane Kitty
Whispers Softly

Post by Insane Kitty » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:18 am

something nobody has commented on is that MinMax still has his purple eye, which means that when Kin leaves (assuming the reset doesn't reset her tail) she will have her green tail.
Well, you may be right
I may be crazy
Hey!
But I just might be a lunatic you're looking for!

blargfoot
Remains Silent

Post by blargfoot » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:52 am

Talos wrote:For all the issues that waiting over 1000 days to see some characters again can cause, this is one of only two comics for which it would be worth it on the entire net. The other being the Order of the Stick. That said, I'm sure the Bad Webcomics wiki (which is usually right, but misses the ball in the case of Goblins) will use it as an example of pacing problems. To put it another way, I had no idea I was even going to grad school when we last saw the GAP, and I just graduated from that school in September. And only by Mid-November do we see the GAP. :lol:

I would put Erfworld in that category as well.

St.Rider
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by St.Rider » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:54 am

Insane Kitty wrote:something nobody has commented on is that MinMax still has his purple eye, which means that when Kin leaves (assuming the reset doesn't reset her tail) she will have her green tail.
My assumption (not actually based on anything in-comic) is that once the Kinship re-record the labyrinth's logs to make them seem to be from the same team, their state at the moment of recording will become their default state instead of the one in which they first entered the maze. Which would, sadly, mean the necklace isn't coming back on the next restart if Kin decides to join them. Well, not that it's the only thing that draws her to MM now.
MinMax, dearest of all my friends...
► Show Spoiler

sunphoenix
Of Few Words

Post by sunphoenix » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:01 am

...And thus..'lost' love... turns to hate or at least empowers and fuels the fury of a very heartbroken Minmax...

FIGHT!
"...no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything - you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is Kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein

hypothetical
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Hypothetical

Post by hypothetical » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:17 am

Kin will have to join Minnie and Forgy within a couple of pages. At this point we've got a major problem, a Paladin wearing a cursed helmet who believes that it is everything in his vision is evil, not the helmet. The helmet almost certainly has Hide Alignment cast on it that is somehow triggered to go off when worn ( a small pressure switch at the top which opens a tiny compartment with a spelled stone in it maybe?). If this is indeed dying time for Forgy, Minnie won't be far behind unless the GAP and the FAP join forces, and she is likely the ONLY catalyst that can make this happen, as she knows both sides and can act as a liaison.
I think I may be thinking, therefore I may possibly be being.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:31 am

Bird wrote:@Gryphonic: Not sure Kore would have bothered with the holy weapon if his bolts were holy.
Applied economics.

If you think maybe you'll meet one creature in your career that you need Holy to deal with, get Holy ammunition.

If you think you'll meet such a creature most weeks, get a Holy weapon.

I'd guess Kore would be of the latter opinion. (Which may or may not reflect reality.)
Darthwalker wrote:The thing about Kin at this point, is that their is no wrong time she can appear. Time in the maze doesn't change, she can only appear at the instant that she entered, so the exact time that MinMax and Forgath did. To keep with the rules set by the maze of many Kin should appear in the very next update or not at all. This also gives rise to the possibility that Kin could stay in the maze for what seems like years, leveling and all around kicking ass, and actually be the savior of all of our heroes. She could come out as super badass epic leveled Kin and just kill Kore easily. This is unlikely to happen, but if Thunt listens to his own rules then Kin will be here not only soon, but immediately.
She could also spend a few years in the Maze of Many leveling up, emerge from the Maze at the exact moment *and location* she entered (I would presume that's what happens when one leaves by the Maze's own exit mechanism), spend some time returning to her clan with the Teapot, spend a day or three with them, and *then* use the Teapot to teleport to Minmax.

In other words, there is legitimate reason for a reunion to be delayed by days or weeks.
drekhan wrote:Now kin will realize that she is connected to Minmax, but something will happen to the teapot or to her that will prevent her from ever seeing Minmax again.

How do I know?

Because Thunt is viscerally offended by joy and happiness.
Authors who aspire to write good stories cannot be Good. We have to torture our characters, or the readers will find our stories boring.

Of course, it's the readers who demand stories where characters are tortured, so they also cannot be Good.

(If you think you remember reading a similar statement on the OotS forums, there's a good reason...)
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:48 am

Even if Kin ran the maze and leveled up, unless she learned a teleport spell, she's currently quite a distance from Minmax. True, she could hide the teapot somewhere then drink some tea, but it takes time to brew. Either way, she probably wouldn't show up again til after the fight. If she'd used the teapot from inside the maze to travel to Minmax, she would have appeared at the same time they did, since the maze is outside time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

Ellendra
Remains Silent

Post by Ellendra » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 am

As much as I love happy endings, they are still endings. And I don't want this comic to end.

Hertzyscowicz
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Hertzyscowicz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am

Those four guys in the foreground.... I could swear I have seen them before in this comic.