1st November, 2013 - Sorry

Discuss the comic here!
sirbissel
Remains Silent

Re: 1st November, 2013 - Sorry

Post by sirbissel » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:53 am

Just wondering, but why won't the necklace pop back into existence in a little while, kind of like the beard did?

Howls_at_Monkeys
Remains Silent

Post by Howls_at_Monkeys » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:07 am

Subject A: http://www.goblinscomic.org/08102013-2/

Unless Minmax is saying "Remember Me?" to Fumbles
Unless Minmax is wearing green because he concentrated on the color of the teapot
I would say hes still focusing on Kin/Ken.
Whether its postitive or negative is anyone's guess, I personally hope its positive.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:10 am

The beard (and MM's eye and Kin's tail) was replaced by the countdown machine which summoned Psymax:

Start here - http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/

So, the necklace could be brought back if they use the countdown machine again (and it's maybe the most likely hope for a positive outcome), but I suspect Ruby will object (even if she doesn't know what she obliviated, she must know that she got rid of something...).

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:19 am

I'd say the chances that this comic will see Kin again are 100%. You'd have to give me extreme odds if you wanted me to bet against it, and even then I'd imagine Thunt dying and his notes being passed to somebody who just doesn't want Kin to come back.

As for what finally happens, I don't know, but Thunt has tweeted a reminder that the story is nowhere near over. It may involve Ruby and Onyx and Sapphire, it may involve Dellyn, or the wizard that made Dellyn, or it may not. But I am 100% certain that Kin will come back and we'll see that collar come off one way or another.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:30 am

OMG! It CAN'T BE TRUE!

Why in the world would Thunt make a teleporting teapot?

Two horrible words...

TEA LEAVES

Simon
Speaks Quietly

Post by Simon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:36 am

Hopefully this update disproves some of the 'theories' that Minmax is a horrible person. If he was as bad as some people have said he is supposed to be, I'm certain he wouldn't be crying and appologising*

*well, asking if Forgath passed on his appology.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:56 am

thinkslogically wrote:The beard (and MM's eye and Kin's tail) was replaced by the countdown machine which summoned Psymax:

Start here - http://www.goblinscomic.org/08252013-2/

So, the necklace could be brought back if they use the countdown machine again (and it's maybe the most likely hope for a positive outcome), but I suspect Ruby will object (even if she doesn't know what she obliviated, she must know that she got rid of something...).
The machine also brought back PsiMax clothed only in his natural glory, not any artificial garments. Similarly, Kin's tail and Forgath's beard are parts of their persons. As we've thus only seen the machine restore the actual person touching it, and not any other items (which would not have IMEs themselves), I'm not thinking the machine would bring back the necklace.

However, the Kins could also fix the oblivion holes, restoring the Maze and anything obliviated, the necklace included, but not until MinMax is gone.

EatsAbug
Whispers Softly

Post by EatsAbug » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:56 am

Getting tired of people complaining about bad things happening in this comic and negating all the good stuff.
People! Wonderful things happen in life.
But time moves on...
And then some bad things may happen in life.

Then time moves on...

Then some more wonderful things will happen!

But time moves on...

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:31 pm

Lady Dawn wrote:There is only one logical action left for a man who must apologize to his partner...
He must give that person flowers and/or chocolates and/or jewelry ASAP!
Hey, you might be on to something.

He is the guy that made the necklace as an attempt to correct his own feelings for Kin in the first place!. He examined his own soul, worked out a way to see her as a person, and laboured while she slept to make her a gift to express himself to her.

Now he is in extremis and thrashing around for a way to make her not hate him. I honestly think his TRUE motivation in this is anguish that she has been hurt by himself.

Isn't it very likely that he is going to make her a gift to represent the fact that he is sorry in his heart, and . . . in effect wants to celebrate that she exists as a person?.

Makes necklace in the corner of the room, this time calling out, "How do I spell Kin, please, old friend?". Says to Forgarth, "Give this to Kin for me, and tell her I want her to have a record of how much I value her, and how much I know I have lost by my actions, how sorry I am. How glad I am she exists".

At which point, Ruby doesn't understand she ought to be slithering for the exit. :)

Goblins, where we hold our torn hearts in one hand and clutch at straws, in hope, with the other. :(

kohlerikson
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by kohlerikson » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:54 pm

AntMac wrote:
Goblins, where we hold our torn hearts in one hand and clutch at straws, in hope, with the other. :(
If we keep reaching for them, we're bound to get one eventually....I hope.

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:42 pm

kohlerikson wrote:
AntMac wrote:
If we keep reaching for them, we're bound to get one eventually....I hope.

Me too. Mugs, ain't we?. :(

Your inexpressibly moving avatar moved me in ways I can't express. The poor sad sack of sonofacrap. :'(

unavoidablytiger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by unavoidablytiger » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:53 pm

I just joined to say that this strip has actually relieved me greatly on the matter of the Kin/Minmax relationship.

The misunderstanding/cruelty that threatens the relationship of the Hero and Heroine is positively CLASSIC romance formula. Without it, I would have assumed one of them was being set up to die horribly and suddenly.

If Minmax had tried to justify the misunderstanding, done something even worse while trying to "fix" it, or if we were in Kin's POV right now, I'd have to assume Thunt was killing the relationship (Charlaine Harris vilifies her male love interests like that in order to get rid of them, and it's bloody annoying). Instead Minmax is still the focus, and he's ANGSTING. In a romance, you know who sits around angsting after he accidentally does something stupid and hurtful to the heroine? The guy who's totally going to rescue her after she winds up in peril.

Of course, Thunt's not a romance writer, he's an adventure/D&D writer, so he may decide not to follow the formula. But I think he will.

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:55 pm

unavoidablytiger wrote:I just joined to say that this strip has actually relieved me greatly on the matter of the Kin/Minmax relationship.

The misunderstanding/cruelty that threatens the relationship of the Hero and Heroine is positively CLASSIC romance formula. Without it, I would have assumed one of them was being set up to die horribly and suddenly.

If Minmax had tried to justify the misunderstanding, done something even worse while trying to "fix" it, or if we were in Kin's POV right now, I'd have to assume Thunt was killing the relationship (Charlaine Harris vilifies her male love interests like that in order to get rid of them, and it's bloody annoying). Instead Minmax is still the focus, and he's ANGSTING. In a romance, you know who sits around angsting after he accidentally does something stupid and hurtful to the heroine? The guy who's totally going to rescue her after she winds up in peril.

Of course, Thunt's not a romance writer, he's an adventure/D&D writer, so he may decide not to follow the formula. But I think he will.
Thank you for that little ray of sunshine. :clap:

Misterkami
Remains Silent

Re: 1st Novemeber - Sorry

Post by Misterkami » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:56 pm

WastesTime wrote:And just to remind everybody and induce further moments of "awwww, hell no! Sniff...sniff", here is Minmax's first interaction with Kin http://www.goblinscomic.org/05312010/
On a completely different note.. reading back Kin's story of how Yuan-ti mate sounds weird when compared to her story of "seeing" someone. The two concepts both describe a part of Yuan-ti relationships, but they are almost opposites;
-mating: very basic interaction, like cells, not even knowing who succeeded
-seeing: spiritual communication between highly developed individuals, knowing beyond reason

Of course it's a different species so all bets are off, but still... sounds odd to me

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Oh, one thing THunt said in live drawing (well, just shading) today, was that the influence his mum's story had on Kin's story was only the captivity with Goblinslayer; the rest is an invention for the comic, as I understood it, including MinMax, the quest for the Jade Teapot and the half-snake stuff. So rest assured that horrible, horrible things can still happen to Kin because none of this now is based on his mum. :)

AntMac
Likes to Contribute

Post by AntMac » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:58 pm

. . . Gee. Thanks.

I guess?.

:'( :'( :'(

Malcanthet
Remains Silent

But wait, there's more.

Post by Malcanthet » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:27 am

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09292013/

Remember this comic, panel three. "Our physical actions will be reset."

Stealing the necklace is a physical action and an effect of the maze. Resetting the maze will reset the necklace. Stuff will happen.

willpell
Banned

Re: But wait, there's more.

Post by willpell » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:15 am

Malcanthet wrote:http://www.goblinscomic.org/09292013/

Stealing the necklace is a physical action and an effect of the maze. Resetting the maze will reset the necklace. Stuff will happen.
Maybe. If the oblivion holes aren't an exception.
(Welcome, by the way.)
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:56 am

unavoidablytiger wrote:I just joined to say that this strip has actually relieved me greatly on the matter of the Kin/Minmax relationship.

Generally i agree, but please no more rescuing of Kin by Minmax. That would be third time and while i dont mind the three helping each other, i would hate to see Kin transformed from a quite active heroine she started as into damsel in distress.

Maur
Of Few Words

Post by Maur » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:00 am

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:Oh, one thing THunt said in live drawing (well, just shading) today, was that the influence his mum's story had on Kin's story was only the captivity with Goblinslayer; the rest is an invention for the comic, as I understood it, including MinMax, the quest for the Jade Teapot and the half-snake stuff. So rest assured that horrible, horrible things can still happen to Kin because none of this now is based on his mum. :)
I tempted to write: i said so, but i bet it wont stop people from making claims their story has to end well. I doubt it would if Thun did a flaming letters disclaimer in the original blog post about it, tbh :meh:

Mueca
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Mueca » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:39 am

But there isn't, and hasn't ever been, a necklace to be brought back through resetting.

unavoidablytiger
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by unavoidablytiger » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 am

Maur wrote: Generally i agree, but please no more rescuing of Kin by Minmax. That would be third time and while i dont mind the three helping each other, i would hate to see Kin transformed from a quite active heroine she started as into damsel in distress.
Agreed. I'd really like to see Kin forgive and then rescue Minmax, actually.

bunnyboy
Remains Silent

Post by bunnyboy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 am

Kin has Minmax in leash called love.

LazyEmperor
Remains Silent

Post by LazyEmperor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:19 am

Mueca wrote:

But there isn't, and hasn't ever been, a necklace to be brought back through resetting.

That is not quite correct. Using the pants Minmax threw into the oblivion hole as an example: If those had never existed in the first place Minmax would have simply gotten a different one in Brassmoon since he never had the option to choose something that has never existed.

The way I understood oblivion holes is that they (since they are not true oblivion) don't make something to have never existed. Instead it seems to be closer to simply destroying something and erasing all memory of it.
If oblivion holes were real oblivion nothing could bring lost items back like the PsyGears did with Forgaths beard. So it is possible for the neclace (and the alts) to be reset with everything else in the mace. After all the oblivion holes themselves should be gone upon reset.
Still i feel the neclace will not return for the simple reason that it would be too easy for the characters.

(PS: Hope someone can make sense of what i wrote. English isn't my first language and my thoughts tend to be all over the place anyway :P )

fumblesfan
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by fumblesfan » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:28 am

I logged in to make three predictions/points. . . one has already been made and another has been alluded to.

1) The gears bring back things 'oblivioned'. . . the beard seems like an obvious literary attempt to pre-establish what will happen with the necklace.
2) Thunt used the line "I see you" in his proposal to his wife. . . I find it unlikely that it's only use in the comic will be this sad.
3) Am I alone thinking that MM will be raging when his eyes open again? (I was thinking 'stages of grief' and that has already been discussed)