Thuntonian Biota

Discuss the comic here!
Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Thuntonian Biota

Post by Dagazzard » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am

So, in the "Things You Never Noticed Before" topic someone suggested to create a page to archive thuntonian creatures. I thought maybe a topic would do for now! Note that most names are not canon, as few canon names are known. Canon names are in green.

Animals:
► Show Spoiler
Flora and Fungi:
► Show Spoiler
Homebrew monsters:
► Show Spoiler
Other:
► Show Spoiler
Any corrections or suggestions are welcome! =]
Last edited by Dagazzard on Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:21 am, edited 8 times in total.

Borys
Voices Opinions

Re: Thuntonian Biota

Post by Borys » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:03 pm

I think in downloadable comic there was more about those furry dragonflies... but I lost it with everything else from my comp, maybe someone else can check.
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

EatsAPeach
Speaks Quietly

Post by EatsAPeach » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:57 pm

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the International Communist Conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."
--Jack D. Ripper, Gen. USAF, ca. 1963

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:22 am

Nice work.
You either die Chaotic, or you live long enough to see yourself become Lawful.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 am

I'm glad someone with more ambition took my suggestion and ran with it. Well done, sir/madam.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:18 am

Great work Dagazzard :)
-Best regards LAYF

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:26 am

Very nice list - but might I suggest some order or another, perhaps alphabetized?

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:31 am

What about Klik-kind? Or are they excluded because they are some kind of cross-realm thingies and not really "local" population?
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks guys! =]

Added Klik-kind! (And I just noticed... If they are all over Cloudpyne Mountain, maybe there is a passage there to other dimension. Might we see Psimax or other characters from the Maze of Many again...?)

Originally I was going for canon-named (ordered by appearance in-comic), and then non-canon named, with the ones that might be real or were gags in the end. But that's too complex. So I followed your advice stevedj, and ordered alphabetically! o/ Canon names are in green.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:54 am

Thanks - the list is much better (IMHO) :D

Now let me get nit-picky over a tiny typo (here me out) ... when I scroll down the list, I keep encountering "Flora and Fungi" and think 'what is that one?' and 'why is it not alphabetical?'. Then I realize it is a category heading. But it is missing the colon : which must be part of what confusing me (at first).

So maybe I'd suggest making the category headings a different size/color?

LIke I said, a tiny nit-pick, but I keep tripping up on it. :oops:

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:19 am

Done! =] Also placed the categories in spoilers so it's quicker to find something in them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:53 pm

There's a grey nuisance moth here http://www.goblinscomic.org/09302006/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/10012006-2/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/10052006/

It's minor, but K'Seliss does interact with it in such a wonderful way.

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:11 pm

De Chinpokomon monkeys hefn't been seen...most likely made up, even in Thuntworld.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:08 am

RidcullyJack wrote:There's a grey nuisance moth here http://www.goblinscomic.org/09302006/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/10012006-2/ http://www.goblinscomic.org/10052006/

It's minor, but K'Seliss does interact with it in such a wonderful way.
Since you pointed out those strips -- what about the WORGS that Fox mentions? Sure, we haven't seen them, but they are called out by name. And we have to trust they are powerful enough to take care of K'Seliss... (or at least scare him)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:10 am

The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:31 am

BuildsLegos wrote:This is probably a worg.
Quite possibly... yes! I'm just saying it should be in the list. :D

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:58 am

BuildsLegos wrote:This is probably a worg.
The one in the middle is clearly a Goblin Dog.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/mons ... inDog.html
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning...where the seas sleep and the rivers dream. People made of smoke, and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger. Somewhere there's injustice. Somewhere else, the tea is getting Cold. C'mon Ace, we've got work to do! - The Doctor (Sylvester McCoy, last line in the old series)

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:23 am

Well then, I got nothing.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:13 pm

The blue birds don't strike me as especially strange. But I totally never noticed that ground mouth, despite it having a whole panel more or less to itself.

Also, why did you mention Blackroot but not Grass Maggots (from the same page)?
RedwoodElf wrote:The one in the middle is clearly a Goblin Dog.
No, it's a Howler. They're SRD.
Glemp wrote:To some extent, you need to be arrogant - without it, you are vulnerable being made someone's tool...for Herbert's sake, have the stubbornness not to submit to what you see instantly, because you can only see some facts at a time.
My long-neglected blog.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:10 am

On the page of the first appearance of the yellow flower, there are also plants that look like cattails in the water.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

willpell
Banned

Post by willpell » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Those are probably just cattails, and Thunt didn't invent them. Granted he probably didn't invent the yellow flowers either.
My long-neglected blog.

Dagazzard
Of Few Words

Post by Dagazzard » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:41 pm

So! Originally I created the topic thinking about listing life forms created by Thunt. But then there are those who exist in the real world (or which might exist) and those which are from D&D (or a modified version of those from D&D).

What do you guys think, should all of them be listed or just those that definately are or may be created by Thunt?

Worgs and the Howler are from D&D. The monster the goblins face at the Swamp of Silence is said to be a homebrew version of the Yellow Musk Creeper (so it's from D&D but modified by thunt).

I did not include the Grass Maggots because I assumed that they were probably real world grass maggots, but blackroot may be real world as well (real world blackroot isn't edible, I think, but goblins may eat different things).

I included the yellow flowers because I found it interesting when I noticed the same plant was present in two different locations. But maybe they shouldn't be present, they're hardly revelant.

So, what do you guys think should be the criteria for the inclusion in the list? (And is the "Prejudice Caterpillar" going to make it into the list? Dun dun DUN! Check on the next episode!)

RedwoodElf
Converses Frequently

Post by RedwoodElf » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm

Dagazzard wrote: I did not include the Grass Maggots because I assumed that they were probably real world grass maggots, but blackroot may be real world as well (real world blackroot isn't edible, I think, but goblins may eat different things).

Hey, it puts hair on your chest!

Master TMO
Speaks Quietly

Post by Master TMO » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:09 am

I would say it might not be a bad idea to at least list them, so that if someone were curious, they could check here and see that it wasn't a Thunt creation.