Kickstarter Starts Tomorrow! (June 3rd)

Discuss the comic here!
Thunt
Draws Goblins

Kickstarter Starts Tomorrow! (June 3rd)

Post by Thunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:04 am

Well, it's time. :cheer:

After months of prep work and our big, stressful delay, the time has come to start the Kickstarter. Evertide Games has amazed me with how much work and fun stuff they've put into this project. They've got contests, surprise announcements and of course, stretch goals that offer amazing, high quality loot. They've created something that I would NEVER have been able to offer you on my own. Seriously, Richard James and Bradley Phillips are like two Rainman clones when it comes to creating games. They've got a talent for it and it shows in G:AR. I'm currently waiting for the latest version of the prototype to arrive in my mail. I can't wait to play this thing.

Behind the scenes, Evertide has been amazing and I want you guys to know about it, just... because. Richard spent a few days at my house hanging out and over the past few months, has become a very good friend. Besides creating something that I'm very proud to be a part of, EG has been helpful during the last couple weeks of stress. I just wanted people to know that if you support the Kickstarter, you're supporting a group of genuinely nice people who are passionate about making the best game experience they can. This is not a profit hungry corporation, this is a bunch of friendly geeks who really know how to make a good game.

Since the Kickstarter page won't go live until tomorrow (from the time I write this), all I can link to is the Facebook page. But feel free to post a link to the KS once it's out there.

https://www.facebook.com/GoblinsAlternateRealities

Fingers crossed! :shock:

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Re: Kickstarter Starts Tomorrow! (June 3rd)

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:15 am

This
is the one issue I have with the whole thing.

Will there be ways to join contests and stuff outside of Facebook and Twitter? You know, like on Kickstarter itself?

Don't get me wrong, you're getting some of my money either way, but still...

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:36 am

CelineSSauve wrote:This

Will there be ways to join contests and stuff outside of Facebook and Twitter? You know, like on Kickstarter itself?

Well, there's really no way to run a successful Kickstarter without utilising social media. Whether we like it or not, Facebook and Twitter have to be a big part of it. Sorry 'bout that. :shrug:

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:40 am

Thunt wrote:
CelineSSauve wrote:This

Well, there's really no way to run a successful Kickstarter without utilising social media. Whether we like it or not, Facebook and Twitter have to be a big part of it. Sorry 'bout that. :shrug:
I don't know. This is the only Kickstarter I've followed that'd used them, from what I know. :shrug:

Maybe I'm just aware here because it started before the Project?

I do take that as an unfortunate "no" though... Pity. :(

Thunt
Draws Goblins

Post by Thunt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Well, this whole thing is Evertide's work, so I don't fully know what to expect when it comes down to the details. Don't take it as a "no". Take it as a "I don't know yet". :thumbsup:

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:28 pm

YAAAYY! Kickstarter.. waiting so long for this. Wish I had more money to spend and that the thing I want wont be too expensive.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:10 pm

Behind the scenes, Evertide has been amazing and I want you guys to know about it, just... because. Richard spent a few days at my house hanging out and over the past few months, has become a very good friend. Besides creating something that I'm very proud to be a part of, EG has been helpful during the last couple weeks of stress. I just wanted people to know that if you support the Kickstarter, you're supporting a group of genuinely nice people who are passionate about making the best game experience they can. This is not a profit hungry corporation, this is a bunch of friendly geeks who really know how to make a good game.
I have to say, I've been really impressed with everything I've seen from Evertide in all this. Doing cool things, making the game because they love it more than anyone, answering our questions and taking our suggestions, and supporting you in this stressful period. I will very likely end up pledging more specifically because I feel that they've earned my support.

(But yes, the one minor thing is that this is the first Kickstarter I've seen where things were unlocked and voted on anywhere but Kickstarter itself. Yes, you have to use social media to bring people into the campaign. To spread the word and all. And this is a way to get people interested in the project - and to see how much interest there is - before it goes live. But it did seem kind of strange.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:13 pm

Thunt wrote:Well, this whole thing is Evertide's work, so I don't fully know what to expect when it comes down to the details. Don't take it as a "no". Take it as a "I don't know yet". :thumbsup:
Okay. *crosses fingers and doubleknocks wood*

I guess we'll find out tomorrow night, shortly after I get home and you unleash the besttest Goblins (and other various humanoids) card game anyone has ever see upon the Kickstarter masses!
[Yes, the grammar died somewhere in the middle of that statement but... :shrug: ]

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:39 pm

And there was much rejoicing.

Also, the eyeball shield is equal parts ick and blechh. I think it's effective because no one wants to hit the damn thing. It's really cool to see some original artwork specifically for the game.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

Maikeruu
Remains Silent

Post by Maikeruu » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 pm

I've backed multiple Kickstarter game projects with the nearly identical Facebook aspect of unlocking additional content in a manner similar to a stretch goal. In addition, running contests outside of Kickstarter is not unique either with many happening on boardgamegeek.com to drive awareness.

stevedj
Voices Opinions

Post by stevedj » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:55 am

Liesmith wrote:And there was much rejoicing.

Also, the eyeball shield is equal parts ick and blechh. I think it's effective because no one wants to hit the damn thing. It's really cool to see some original artwork specifically for the game.
Sorry, but all I can think of when I saw that eyeball shield -- is this page from Tempts Fate 11.

So, no one wants to hit it? Bah, I'd be bashing it all the time, just to hear the continued cries of "Ow! Ow! Ow, my fricken eye!" :lol:

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:07 pm

Must...not...continually refresh Kickstarter's page... Must... not...

MUST!

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm

yea.. 50 min left..

so.. how many is awake for that reason alone?

THUUUUUUUUNT!!!!

Can't you do something to the time? dont artists have some kind of time changing machines in there houses?
-Best regards LAYF

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

-Best regards LAYF

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:15 pm

10 minutes and already we're at almost 7,000. It seems people really want Senor Vorpal. :)
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:19 pm

So now.. i just cant wait till december and finealy try to play this game :)

so anyone else backed the 37 or above to gain the cardgame?
-Best regards LAYF

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:22 pm

There is a slight flaw in the Tiers, in my view:
$99 All previous rewards and map to play on.
+$52 adds a shirt and stickers for windows and such.
$252 has all previous rewards plus the future expansions (though you have to pay for shipping on them)

I am urging you all to support a $200 tier which includes the $99 tier, but not the extra $52 worth of shirt and stickers...

Also, I'd like the option to have them wait to ship expansions until they have more than one, to save on my future shipping costs. (Depending on how often expansions would be made, of course.)

EDIT: I'm at $99, looks, though I'd love to be at $200.

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:33 pm

To a large degree, most Kickstarter projects are a pledge of faith and goodwill towards the project happening.

I prefer to see it as people who pledge at the $99 aren't paying $44 for a playmat - they wanted to spend $99 on the project, and get a playmat as thanks. I like this article on the topic! http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/10/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:38 pm

Alecat wrote:To a large degree, most Kickstarter projects are a pledge of faith and goodwill towards the project happening.
And you're free to have that view. I just don't share it.

I don't have money to donate to charities, even, so I can't just give that much money as "goodwill," especially as future shipping costs are on top of the expansion tier. And there's no guarantee on the number of future expansions.

Even if they did give us the option of a $200 tier, there is the chance that the extra $101 for that tier gets us no expansions at all.

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:44 pm

And that's ok - if you're just interested in the games, then the lower pledges are the place to go. If expansions come out, you'll get a chance to grab them then. As you say, the extra shipping will be charged anyway, so there's no harm in pledging where you feel comfortable and waiting for the subsequent content to come out.

Since you seem concerned at this point, you probably want to play the game before deciding about putting down extra money anyway.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Alecat wrote:And that's ok - if you're just interested in the games, then the lower pledges are the place to go. If expansions come out, you'll get a chance to grab them then. As you say, the extra shipping will be charged anyway, so there's no harm in pledging where you feel comfortable and waiting for the subsequent content to come out.

Since you seem concerned at this point, you probably want to play the game before deciding about putting down extra money anyway.
:wall: :wall: :wall:

Wow... Do you specialize in faulty assumptions?

I've already said that I would be willing to pay $200 for the $99 rewards + Expansions. My only issue is the extra $52 for a shirt and stickers.

I'm going to stop replying to "if you don't want to give money you don't have to" type comments before my head turns into :bomb: .

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:53 pm

Eh, I feel the ball has been dropped with the introduction video. You're both very charming ofcourse but there was a huge lack of actual information in there. Info about the gameplay has been put to the bottom of the page and they're just links to other sites. You need to have the core centralized in one spot and I'd think that would be the top of the kickstarter. ( So not a blog on evertide, forum post here and then podcasts on facebook. ) You're asking for a lot of patience of potential donaters to actuelly figure out what they're buying here.

Well that's my opinion atleast. Maybe pictures of a basic character card, an item card and an adventure with some explanation of each stat would be enough.

Alecat
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Alecat » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:14 pm

CelineSSauve wrote: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Wow... Do you specialize in faulty assumptions?

I've already said that I would be willing to pay $200 for the $99 rewards + Expansions. My only issue is the extra $52 for a shirt and stickers.

I'm going to stop replying to "if you don't want to give money you don't have to" type comments before my head turns into :bomb: .
Sorry.
I just don't like seeing people frustrated. I tried offering a possibility that might alleviate yours. I'm sorry I worsened it instead.
I'll shut up.

LordsBreed
Whispers Softly
UStream Username: LordsBreed

Post by LordsBreed » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Rogbull wrote:Eh, I feel the ball has been dropped with the introduction video. You're both very charming ofcourse but there was a huge lack of actual information in there. Info about the gameplay has been put to the bottom of the page and they're just links to other sites. You need to have the core centralized in one spot and I'd think that would be the top of the kickstarter. ( So not a blog on evertide, forum post here and then podcasts on facebook. ) You're asking for a lot of patience of potential donaters to actuelly figure out what they're buying here.

Well that's my opinion atleast. Maybe pictures of a basic character card, an item card and an adventure with some explanation of each stat would be enough.

I agree. I was very disappointed in the video. I saw there was one, and though, FINALLY, we'll get SOME information about the game... Nope.

I did pledge, but hesitantly. I do have a question though.

If I pledge at a certain level, I get all the items listed for that level and all the lower level items, etc? I chose the $55 one which does not mention the full core set, but it mentions other goodies.
I know this is a sort of obvious question/answer deal, but this is the first Kickstarter I have ever funded.

Rogbull
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Rogbull

Post by Rogbull » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:19 pm

"&goblin war camp rewards" at the end refers to the previous tier. So yes you get the lower levels as well.