Monster Mash Battle Royale (D&D 5e) Match 3

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Monster Mash Battle Royale (D&D 5e) Match 2, Round 0

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:23 am

thinkslogically wrote:((Also, this whole arena game is REALLY flagging up some inconsistencies in the CR system, at least at this end of the scale... A Kuo Toa does not seem to be equivalent to a cat!))
Cat is CR 0, and Kuo-Toa is CR 1/4, but there is a fair bit of scatter within the binned CR values.

And yes, I'm waiting on Dlover to give me a d21 roll first before I add that in and open up the arena.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:31 am

I may be a little less consistent with updating this week. I'm actually taking a "staycation", which basically means I'm helping out around the house. (Just got done with helping clean the fridge. Get to clean the coils later).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 am

BadgeAddict wrote:^Dlover needs to roll for a character, and the arena isn't being shown until we enter it. (Words of spider)
Oops! I must have missed that :)
spiderwrangler wrote:Cat is CR 0, and Kuo-Toa is CR 1/4, but there is a fair bit of scatter within the binned CR values.
Well that explains it then! I'll just keep quiet :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:19 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Oops! I must have missed that :)
:
Nope, badge messaged me outside of the thread to let me know I'd made a mistake with Burns tab and that the other url s weren't there, so he was passing on my response, not referring to something I'd said in thread.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm

If Dlover hasn't posted by tomorrow can you either roll for him or not include him....I want to kill things!!

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:45 pm

I think it's currently night for Dlover at the moment, maybe early morning :P
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Frog-Hulk want to smaSH

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:38 pm

Yeah, and I think his holidays just ended so he's back in class. I'm sure he'll be around soon enough :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Tell you what... I'll roll a d20 for his initiative, if it's super low, the top of the order can get started.

_: 1D20 = [19] = 19

Nope! Be patient!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Just more time to plot evil plans! >:D

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:27 pm

14! If I get something weak it's because I rolled 1 too high.

Sorry for the delay, Thinks was dead on with classes. In the future it may be best to roll for me if there's no decision to be made, since my time can be so awkward compared to others.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Somewhere, a final 8th room fills with a flash of purple, and as it fades, the hooves of a Satyr click on the stonework.
► Show Spoiler
You each feel a thrust behind you as you are propelled into the shimmering portal, emerging on the opposite side in a large arena. From each of your positions, you see a colored wedge of floor stretching towards a black obelisk in the center of the room. The portal behind you is flanked to either side by glowing tiles set into the floor, plain grey stone containing a ring of bright color that glows steadily. The wall into which the portal is set is solid grey stone, but to either side you can see walls of translucent yellow energy converging forward at the black obelisk. To either side, you can make out the forms of other beings that have stepped through their own portals.

SuperVaderMan the Spider, welcome! You're first up as you won the tiebreaker with Dlover!

BATTLE ROYALE ARENA!
► Show Spoiler
.[tabs: LAYF ]Current Form: Worg
AC: 13
HP: 26
Challenge Rating Points = 5/8 = CR = 1/2

[tabs: Dlover]Current Form: Satyr
AC: 14
HP: 31
Arrows: 20
Challenge Rating Points = 6/8 = CR = 1/2

[tabs: Burns ]Current Form: Black Bear
AC: 11
HP: 19
Challenge Rating Points = 4/8 = CR = 1/2

[tabs: Theis2]Current Form: Kitty
AC: 12
HP: 4
Challenge Rating Points = 7/8 = CR = 0

[tabs:Lurks ]Current Form: Kuo-Toa
HP: 18
Challenge Rating Points = 3/8 = CR = 1/4

[tabs:Thinks ]Current Form: Pony
AC: 10
HP: 11
Challenge Rating Points = 1/8 = CR = 1/8

[tabs: Badge]Current Form: Kuo-Toa
Challenge Rating Points = 2/8 = CR = ┬╝

[tabs:SuperVaderMan ]Current Form: Spider
HP: 1
Challenge Rating Points = 0/8 = CR = 0[/tabs]
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Can I get a quick explanation on range? The satyr's ranged attack is 80/320, is there some sort of penalty for shooting beyond the 80 range?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 pm

The little spider sees all the giants and bright lights scattered across the room and immediately Sprints up the wall and onto the ceiling (if it can make it that far in 40 feet of movement)! He'll skirt around whatever scary glowing things that may be on the floor and walls in order to do this.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:05 pm

A puzzle room!! Yay!! This is going to go brilliantly for me and my glorious colourblind 2 INT host-steed.

@dlover - basically, yes. Attacks made at ranges less than the smallest number are taken as normal, those between the 2 numbers incur disadvantage, and those greater than the higher number auto fail.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:11 pm

anybody with range wanna team up woth me? I can be your murderous steed

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Following the spider's skittering, the Satyr moves 40 feet east and a little north (3rd tile left of the obelisk's edge, northern tile of the starting pair), pulls out its bow and shoots at... The cat. If that little extended part of the obelisk blocks line of sight I guess just change eastern movements into north-eastern ones until I can see it.

AC=17, Damage=8

And with that I'm guaranteed a 1CR creature next round :cheer: . Don't worry Theis, you get one too, thanks to winning last round.

Also, if my guess is right I now need to kill Lurks for something interesting to happen. Either that, the two colours beside your portal need to stay alive, or the coloured tiles are just decoration.

OH HELL YEAh. Satyr on a bear! I'm in! I've gotta move into not-disadvantage range to kill the kitty right now, though.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:23 pm

Regarding Range: The first number is your normal ranged increment, you can make attacks at up to that distance as normal, attacks beyond it are at disadvantage (roll 2d20, take the lower).

The Spider scurries all out up the wall, making it nearly to the 30 ft ceiling (25 ft vertical movement for you this turn).

The Satyr clatters forward, drawing back its bow to train on a familiar Kitty... as it looses, the arrow hits the yellow wall of translucent energy, scattering into smoldering splinters. The Satyr's elation turns to dismay.

Theis the Kitty, you're up!

BATTLE ROYALE ARENA!
► Show Spoiler

Arrows: 20>19

Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:29 pm

Ah. Having range blockers is... Yeah, that may be trouble. Unless... UNLESS. Okay, depending on things it may not be so bad.

I should note that I didn't just foolishly ignore the walls, I thought they'd materialise into solid walls or some such at points through the fight.
My game:

My characters:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:34 am

Kitty will move 30 ft south west and start dodging.

Foiled from instant kitty murder, you traitor! :glare:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:31 am

Hey, I gave you the power you have now. You should have been with those 1/4CR creatures, but I lifted you from the masses, put you in place to take a 1CR next round, regardless of rank. Also, I have to kill one thing to guarantee myself a 1CR creature, and the kitty and the spider are the only ones I could insta-kill, while the kitty has less AC. Tactical traitoring. Maybe I would have let myself fall second, to make us forever equals. You don't know.

Also, can you do anything with your movement action if you don't intend to move? Say, in the case you were... Riding a bear? I have a feeling you can't, but I thought I'd ask, since there are people who know far more cheesy things than me.
My game:

My characters:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:26 am

^Or maybe, kitty can win again. or at the very least, kill the spider. :D

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:06 am

The kua-toa looks the situation over carefully, turns to the right, readies an attack, and steps on the yellow square. If he is instantly transported, he will relax if he sees the other kua-toa. Anything else and he'll attack.

spear: 1D20+3 = [11]+3 = 14

Spear damage: 1D6+1 = [2]+1 = 3

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 am

Kitty moves down, keeping the obelisk between him and his former ally, ready to avoid any future attacks.

As the loincloth clad Kuo-Toa steps on the glowing tile, it flares brightly before returning to a moderate glow, but the grey and gold portions have reversed. The obelisk in the center judders for a moment, and after a brief delay, the glowing yellow walls separating the Kuo-Toa from its neighbors retreat halfway from the obelisk. ((You've only used 5ft of movement if you'd like to do anything else.))

On the far side of the room, another Kuo-Toa, this one in a shirt, is startled by its walls retreating halfway as well. The Worg and Kitty are likely also startled by one of their walls fading back too.

@Dlover: Only actions can be held, not movement.

LAYF the Worg is up!

BATTLE ROYALE ARENA!
► Show Spoiler

Arrows: 20>19

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 am

Seeing the Worg, sensing prey nearby moves eagerly, but instead of going straight for the kill, it sneaks north west, moving into the corner between the outer wall of its own room, and the retracting wall between it at the frogman! (4 right and up)
-Best regards LAYF