The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:48 pm

"Yes. I would hope that it would be innocuous. Perhaps even a communal celebration. But I fear the worst. We should try to scout it out."

(Kal's Nature check is also an 8.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:24 pm

Lizard Group
Curious about the smell, the group pause and sniff the air. It's certainly unpleasant, but you can't tell much more from here other than it's some sort of rotten, burning smell,

Artho looks nervous at the group's hesitation.

((Are you guys going to check it out or ignore it and continue onwards? What's your marching order going to be?))

It is currently around 2 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Druid Group
Gwen, Syli, Varsk and Mehriv head south, slowly making their way through the rainbow-bark trees. The ground is wet and muddy, and pools of water filled with mosquitos and snakes become more and more common until it there is simply no chance of keeping your feet dry any more and your boots and trousers are soon soaked through and caked with mud. The rest of your clothes are wet with sweat as the suffocating heat of the tropical afternoon fills the swamp. You miss the relative ease with which your were able to travel along the lizardfolks' rope bridges, but are nonetheless pleased that there seems to be no sign of the bridges or lizardfolk in this part of the forest. Still, for all that the forest here is full of bugs that seem to want nothing more than to drain you dry, it is bursting with life. The vegetation is lush; trees and plants of all kinds crowd each other for space, reaching up towards whatever sunlight they can reach; birds sing in the canopy above you; monkeys hoot to each other; insects click, hoot and squeak at each other and there are small lizards everywhere. Butterflies of all colours dance overhead, flitting gracefully between all kinds of tropical flowers.

An hour passes, and then two, and still there is no sign of any kind of clearing as the afternoon rain starts. You estimate that you must have traveled more than a mile by now... You can't have missed your turning, surely?

After another hour or so of second-guessing your directions and strange map, you finally reach what is unmistakably a clearing in the forest. The open ground ahead of you is covered in a dense meadow of wildflowers, which forms the rise of a low hill, surrounded by a rough circle of jutting, grey rocks that make the hill look like it's wearing some kind of ancient crown. Tree branches reach over the edges of the clearing, providing a little shade. The afternoon sunlight floods the little meadow and your wet boots begin to steam a little as the swamp water begins to evaporate.

It is now around 4 pm

((Perception checks please))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm

"If we check it out and it's bad, we can leave it be, but at least we'll know. If we don't check it out, we won't know what it is, or if it's bad or not."

"Well... I mean burning rotten meat is probably bad, but is it more bad for us, or more bad for the lizard folk?"

((Where is it coming from in relation to our previous direction of travel?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:35 pm

I think you were travelling pretty much south? The smell is coming from somewhere off to your right, but you can't get an idea of distance with those rolls.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:38 pm

Aside from the periodic burst of lemonleaf, Syli contents herself with swatting at insects as the group presses onward. As they enter the clearing, she lets out a low whistle. "...trip's worth it just for the view."

But despite admiring the view, her guard was still up.

--Perception (+5): 25 (CRIT!)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:58 pm

As she appreciates the view in the little clearing, Syli is certain she sees the butterflies come together into the shape of a humanoid, just for a second. The shape seems to pause and contemplate you before fluttering off deeper into the forest towards the south-west.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm

1d20+1 = [15]+1 = 16

"So, where are we heading from here?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:24 pm

"If we can smell it like this, it can't be that far out of the way. We should take a look. If it's something dangerous we should at least know what's around. If not, they might have a better idea of where to find the tribes we're looking for. Artho, what do you think? "
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:44 pm

((We seem in agreement, unless Artho balks. Korrik would be near the front, keeping Merric from dashing headlong without warning.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:04 pm

"I agree, it is very beautiful."

per: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Syli stares at the departing butterflies for a few moments, not actually registering the words of her companions. "...okay, now you're just showing off." She murmurs under her breath.

Nevertheless, she pulls out her map again and looks it over, murmuring a quick incantation and checking her direction to confirm the butterflies are heading in the same direction. "Southwest this time, and we're looking for a... pool? Hmm... not pond, they deliberately said 'pool'. Probably not your typical hole of standing water, then."

Syli sighs, then glances up at the sun. "...how's everyone for light sources? Based on the markings on this map and how much daylight we have left, we may be traveling well past nightfall in order to reach the next landmark."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 am

"I can provide us with ample light."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 am

Varsk remains silent for the exchange and mostly tries to enjoy the momentary break from sloshing through muck holes. He will ask before they move out,

"Anyone got any idea where we are in relation to the big river and Morley's camp?"

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 am

"Let's go find out!"

Merric decides to give stealthy a bit of thought now that he knows someone might be just around the next tree.

Merric stealth: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:53 am

Lizard Group
The group decide to check out the smell. Korrik and Merric take point, and Artho and Kal bring up the rear. The group moves slowly and quietly through the trees, but end up travelling far further east than they anticipated, as the faint burning smell gradually builds to an almost overwhelming stench of rotting meat and rancid smoke.

Ill need CON saves for you guys if you want to progress further towards the smell, unless you can come up with some way to block it.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Kal tries to think of a way to block the smell. Perhaps a useful plant? Or maybe there's a way to build an effective mask or something?

Nature: 1D20+3 = [1]+3 = 4
Survival: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:48 pm

Merric will attempt to use his own smelly clothes to block the smell.

Merric con save: 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:21 pm

When, and if, the group stops gaping at the flowers Varsk will take the lead again, following Syli's directions to the southwest.

Second leg of the druid search survival: 2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [16, 16]+2 = 18

He will also be on the lookout for more druid tracks or indications treehugger magic.

Looking for druid tracks/signs: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:08 pm

I slow and pinch my nose, "Ugh, I've hidden in latrines that smelled better."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:07 pm

Druid Group
Pausing only briefly to admire the meadow, Syli urges the group onwards towards the southwest. The heavy smell of perfume wafts all around you from the flowers as your steps disturb the meadow. It's incredibly pleasant, and you feel relaxed and content here, probably for the first time since entering the swamp. The heat of the day, and the weariness from long days and nights sleeping on hard ground, and fatigue from being on constant alert begins to just melt away.

This seems like a wonderful place just to stop for a moment and rest... After all, what's the hurry?

----------------------------------------------------------

Lizard Group

Merric wraps his robes around his face. The smell of his own stale sweat mingles with the dirt and mud on his clothing, combining into a remarkably unpleasant amalgamation of bad smells. It doesn't really make anything better and he gags a little as a fresh waft of the burning, rotten smell assaults his nostrils but he keeps his lunch in his stomach at least.

Kal doesn't manage to find anything around that would help the smell, but he does eventually remember his pouch of lemonleaf, and manages to fashion a crude lemon-scented scarf out of a spare shirt that he manages to secure around his face. It's horribly hot and sweaty, but the smell is blocked enough that he can stand it.

((There is enough lemonleaf for the others to try something similar, but I'll need probably a survival check to craft something. You can do it with advantage though since Kal has already blazed the trail :) ))

Artho retches but manages to keep it together for now. He looks a little pale.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Following Kal's example, I ask him if I could have a few leaves as well, and attempt to fashion something similar.

Survival: Lemonleaf sniffing: 2D20.HIGH(1)+2 = [16, 1]+2 = 18
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:48 pm

((you want to reroll that one?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:25 pm

((Didn't think I could, since it wasn't what was used, but the internet says I do... sooo...))

Halfling power!: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7

((Looks like I'm staying with the 18.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Korrik copies Kal's facemask effort and manages to make a decently secure anti-smell device for his own face. It's almost unbearably hot, but you suppose it's better than throwing up.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:09 pm

Enjoying the beauty and scent of the flowers, Gwen picks up one of the flowers and puts it behind her ear. "How much further must we go? Surely it shouldn't be too far. We should keep moving."

While the piece and quiet is comforting, Gwen can't help but feel something is off about the place. Nature: 1D20-1 = [17]-1 = 16