22 December 2013 - "Shut up"

Discuss the comic here!
Wandering Mage
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: Wandering_mage

Re: 22 December 2013 - "Shut up"

Post by Wandering Mage » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:21 am

YardMeat wrote:
Meridianson wrote:Could he even carry it, being a cleric? It IS a bladed weapon.
It doesn't matter in 3.x. He could take a feat to be proficient with the axe (though I seriously doubt that he has the feat). There are no restrictions to which weapons clerics can be proficient in, and he can use the weapon even without the proficiency. He gets penalties, but the +7 helps compensate for that.
Ya, really the only penalty he'd have is a -4 to attack. So he'd basically be carrying a weapon with +3 to attack and +7 to damage. Still a pretty good deal, especially at that lvl.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:59 am

Isn't the penalty something like a -2 anyway? While that is a highly inconvenient modify in most cases, when wielding the Racist Axe against your Race It's still pretty dang powerful.

Edit: Ninjaed. At least I was close, I thought it was -2 to hit and damage, so same number of minus just distributed wrong.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:50 pm

-4 to hit. No damage penalty. So +5 to hit + whatever his Str is so a minimum of +6 due to the ring. Not that great, Complains can match that with his +1 sword and he didn't hit Kore either WITH a demonic rage bonus. Though that could've been luck. Now granted if Forgath does hit his damage will outclass anything anyone else can likely do other than Minmax.
Minmax probably has the best chance if he takes the ring with a +4 base attack, +1 traded bonus, +6 strength without rage, +1 from the axe or whatever Oblivious provides. So +12 with the axe. Half plate gives +7 + any enhancement the armor has + 4 against the crossbows. 21 min against crossbows 17 min against an axe.
Honestly the only thing Forgath has going for him right now even keeping the Racist Axe in mind is likely his AC with that ring and that's really only if he has full plate. Minmax only needs to get someone inside that gate before dropping it and is probably the only one who can open it again to escape Kore. He also has a speed of 60 allowing him to escape faster and with the ring he's most likely to resist the shots while lifting the gate for himself.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Aegis J Hyena wrote:I should edit what I said earlier... 3rd level fighter, 1st level barbarian. So his HP would be lower than the 52 I sorta-kinda-halfassed dug out of my butt. I'll drop that by 10 and say he has about 40-45, still low enough for Kore to make him miserable if the dice go bad.
This is 3.xE rules. Fighters get d10 hit dice; Barbarians get d12. With the level-1 hit die (a d10 in this case) automatically maxed. Also, the Con modifier is added to *each* die. (Also, no matter how bad your rolls are and how bad your Con is, you get at least one HP added at each level, period, end of discussion. And if your Con changes in a way that alters your Con modifier, the alteration applies retroactively.)

So Minmax has a minimum plausible HP (assuming Con 8 or higher) of:
8 at level 1
1 at each level 2-4
-----
11 HP

And his maximum plausible HP (ignoring possible feats or magic items that haven't been revealed to us, and assuming Con 19 or lower) is
14 at level 1
14 at level 2
16 at level 3 (Barbarian)
14 at level 4
-----
58 HP

The Goblins Character Stats thread lists his Con as around 10, but this is explicitly because we have no evidence. If 10 is in fact correct, his maximum HP drops to 42. However I would not consider Con 10 to be minmaxed for a Fighter.
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations