December 7, 2013: Fancy Moves

Discuss the comic here!
Wears Many Mustaches
Remains Silent

Re: December 7, 2013: Fancy Moves

Post by Wears Many Mustaches » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:30 pm

Sessine wrote:A whole long list of consequences have flowed from that pivotal point, including the whole Maze of Many.
Consequences that the prophecy has taken account for. "when the serpent becomes your prey, friends will become enemies and love will fuel hate." That line of the prophecy seems to directly involve Kin and Minmax's relationship.

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Of course there is nothing saying Forgath has to die in his first battle with any dwarf. While it seems like most of the conditions have been met (Not really convinced about "friends will become enemies" yet) It could be an in universe red-herring to get Forgath to lower his guard.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Kamos » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:45 pm

I dunno. This is pretty Great as far as battles go. Be hard to top a time to go. Unless there is a dragon involved.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:04 pm

Is there some English-speaking country where 'prophecy' is spelled with an 's'? If not, can we please just spell it right? Pretty please?

I'm not usually a spelling Nazi, but the way this keeps getting repeated is slowly making me crazy. Sorry.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:53 pm

Nerre wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:Me --> :stab: <-- Nerre
You know Thunt likes drama. :) Don't stab me until it really is what will happen. o:)
That stabbing is for prophecy talk... :x cause I'm sick of hearing about it. People have be speculating about it for years now... I just want it to end. >:(

So....

Me --> :stab: <-- anyone who mentions prophecy (exempting the Cupcake Bringer)

;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

vonpenguin
Whispers Softly

Post by vonpenguin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Bah, your knives are like delicious candy to me.

But I'll respect your wishes.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 pm

vonpenguin wrote:Bah, your knives are like delicious candy to me.

But I'll respect your wishes.
Just making my feelings known. Feel free to ignore. I'm just some guy, ya know? :shrug:

However, there are entire threads dedicated to pointless circular reasoning about stuff regarding prophecy. Prophecies NEVER make sense until after they happen anyway... For your enjoyment/ease of use, here are some threads you all can feel free to pollute with rampant speculation.

Speculation about Kin/ Serpent Prophesy

The only thing I hate more than prophecy speculation is 'OMG!!!@ Kore's 8th eye!!!!1" speculation... This thread has BOTH! Kore Discussion / Speculation

And in case you needed Another Prophecy Theory....

Otherwise, I feel like my signature contains some really good advice.... rabble rabble
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:08 am

The maze of many is a little universe of its one, with its own physical rules. So maybe that wasn't considered in the prophecy, even if one could not alter his fate. In this case, MinMax armor, Forgath beard,all three weapons they own and their levelups might have taken place in a place, which was outside the universe the prophecy was made in, and therefore, maybe not considered.
:zzz:

Brings Cupcakes
Of Few Words

Post by Brings Cupcakes » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:10 am

Nerre wrote:The maze of many is a little universe of its one, with its own physical rules. So maybe that wasn't considered in the prophecy, even if one could not alter his fate. In this case, MinMax armor, Forgath beard,all three weapons they own and their levelups might have taken place in a place, which was outside the universe the prophecy was made in, and therefore, maybe not considered.
You should change your name to "Clutches at Straws". :lol:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah... there's no evidence for any of that! We know Forgath will die in some battle at some time with a dwarf and the goblins are probably going to win this current fight (based on the prophesies), but anything else is just a guess. I see no reason why the MoM shouldn't 'count' since if you believe in destiny their path through that dungeon was already a certainty when the prophesy was made. And we probably should believe in destiny because there are prophesies. Otherwise all speculation is (even more) pointless.

Personally, I'd like to see Forgath die to Kore in a last-showdown type battle rather than on this bridge by accident but there's no way to predict that without wild guessing :)

GroundPetrel
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by GroundPetrel » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:55 am

Sessine wrote:
YardMeat wrote:The main difference is that the wall mentions that things are going to end badly for both MM and Forgath. I guess there is still a possibility that the prophecy will fail, though, and Saves a Fox is actually right about characters being in control of their own destiny. And I'm wondering if the axe and the indestructible beard are going to alter that fate in any way.
I'm kind of conflicted about this. On the one hand, narrative logic usually demands that if you introduce a prophesy, and even underline it by repeating it, you can't just let it fizzle out. It has to come true in some way -- preferably unexpected.

But, on the other hand, Thunt's theme does seem to involve destinies being mutable based on later actions. So on that score, I'd point out that both of the prophesies were made before MinMax stood up to Goblinslayer. A whole long list of consequences have flowed from that pivotal point, including the whole Maze of Many. So, yes, the axe and the indestructible beard could conceivably change the outcome of the fight with Kore.

(I take it as a given that Kore is just going to open fire without worrying overmuch about MinMax and Forgath being in the way. He's never showed any sign of concern about incidental casualties; I don't imagine he's going to start now. His approach seems to be more on the lines of "Slaughter them all, let the gods sort it out." MM and F will be forced to fight him in self-defense.)
This. This + 10.

I'll admit that I don't want to see MM or Forgath die (Chief dying was heart-wrenching enough), so i'm kind of biased, but this idea seems logical given previous comics.

Also, MM defeating psionic MM is one of those pivotal moments, like MM throwing GS out the window and starting the big fight. If they went back to the wall now, I bet you a hundred bucks that it would say something different.

Your final paragraph is completely logical and makes perfect sense. I still want to see how Kore keeps his paladin status, because he's basically behaving like a sadistic psychopath.

OnceUponATime
Whispers Softly

Post by OnceUponATime » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

what if Kore kills Complaims, which upsets MM because he swore to kill him?

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 pm

OnceUponATime wrote:what if Kore kills Complaims, which upsets MM because he swore to kill him?
Complains swore to see MinMax die, and foreshadowing not coming true in the most horrible interpretation imaginable is foreshadowing wasted!

Causes Malfuntions
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Causes Malfuntions » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:55 pm

Okay so dumb question again...

I was looking for it in info about the axe of prisan or about paladins and I couldn't find it--

What is that fancy move that ears just did? Has everyone else here just seen that before and I dont remember it?

RandomNPC
Remains Silent

Post by RandomNPC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:59 pm

That's no fancy move, that is the Prissan armor rebuilding.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:59 pm

The fancy move was a simple back-flip, he just happened to do it at the same time as [url:http://www.goblinscomic.org/10232009/]this[/url].
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

warrl
Of Few Words

Post by warrl » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:37 pm

On the one hand, narrative logic usually demands that if you introduce a prophesy, and even underline it by repeating it, you can't just let it fizzle out. It has to come true in some way -- preferably unexpected.
Forgath dies in battle with another dwarf - but not at the dwarf's hands. For that matter, he and the other dwarf might even be on the same side.
Brings Cupcakes wrote:Is there some English-speaking country where 'prophecy' is spelled with an 's'? If not, can we please just spell it right? Pretty please?
Technically, I believe the answer is "pretty much all of them". However, "prophecy" is a noun and "prophesy" is a verb; they also differ in the pronunciation of the final syllable - the noun being "-see" and the verb being "-sigh".
My blog: Alien America - amusing incidents and creative misinterpretations

wyrmbear
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by wyrmbear » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:40 am

Plays_Games wrote:Since nobody mentioned the prophecy in the last four pages, just a little reminder.
Take note of the final three panels.

Talking wall of Brassmoon City
Been away a few weeks, and I don't remember back that far, but has anyone else noticed the talking wall could very easily pass for an older Min-Max? Long and involved story arc indeed?

In any case, I'm thinking both Kore and Forgath are doomed in this little venture, though Forgath is going to get better. Not unlike being turned into a newt.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:58 am

wyrmbear wrote: Long and involved story arc indeed?
No, it's pretty short.

Shield of Wonder.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:21 pm

wyrmbear wrote:
Plays_Games wrote:Since nobody mentioned the prophecy in the last four pages, just a little reminder.
Take note of the final three panels.

Talking wall of Brassmoon City
Been away a few weeks, and I don't remember back that far, but has anyone else noticed the talking wall could very easily pass for an older Min-Max? Long and involved story arc indeed?

In any case, I'm thinking both Kore and Forgath are doomed in this little venture, though Forgath is going to get better. Not unlike being turned into a newt.
Like Spiderwragler said, it was the Shield of Wonder. If you go back to the battle between the GAP and the Brassmoon guard you can see it newly formed.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett