Requests for Forums/Features?

For creating groups, suggesting features, reporting problems and the like.
gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Requests for Forums/Features?

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm

I confirm, it works.

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 am

Can we mess with the thread icons, so it's a little easier to tell types of threads apart? It's basically impossible to tell a normal thread with unread posts from a stickied thread with no unread posts. They have the exact same icon, but with very slightly different shades of brown. It'd be nice if stickied threads had shields with thumbtacks on them or something to differentiate them a bit.
Last edited by Godbot on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:36 am

I'd second that. I also hate the reply button in its current form :)

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: CelineSSauve

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 am

SeeAMoose wrote:We could set that up. I've actually been trying to find a way to give game masters the ability to move their own threads but it doesn't seem to be possible.
Any progress on the recruiting place for games? (I didn't see anything when I just checked, of if it's there, my bad.)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 am

Yeah, there's been talk of changing the shield sprites for "shields of wonder". I have cool ideas, but I lack the ability I believe to draw something of the kind that would turn out looking okay, since I can only draw pixelart. :P

Anyways, I'll just post my ideas here... You know... Just in case anyone would be interested. :shifty:

Normal topic: Slightly dulled shield of wonder
Normal topic with new posts: Normal shield with the gems lighting up
Hot topic: Similar to normal topics, but with the shield being "monstrous" (like with that one adventurer that brought it to the village?)
Sticky topic: Metal tentacles sprouting from the shield
Announcement/global topic: Wall of brasmoon face

I think those are a good idea at least. :shifty:

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

M0rtimer wrote:Yeah, there's been talk of changing the shield sprites for "shields of wonder". I have cool ideas, but I lack the ability I believe to draw something of the kind that would turn out looking okay, since I can only draw pixelart. :P

Anyways, I'll just post my ideas here... You know... Just in case anyone would be interested. :shifty:

Normal topic: Slightly dulled shield of wonder
Normal topic with new posts: Normal shield with the gems lighting up
Hot topic: Similar to normal topics, but with the shield being "monstrous" (like with that one adventurer that brought it to the village?)
Sticky topic: Metal tentacles sprouting from the shield
Announcement/global topic: Wall of brasmoon face

I think those are a good idea at least. :shifty:
It's a cute idea, but the gems on them would be pretty tiny, so it'd be nice if the difference was a bit more visible. People are going to be glancing at them for information, so the differences should be intuitive and obvious, like red shields for unread posts and darkened brown shields for no unread posts. So if threads with no new posts had completely dulled gems and threads with new posts had brightly lit gems, that might be a bit better, but still possibly a little too subtle. And ordinarily I'd be a little iffy on having unique icons for hot topics and sticky topics, but your ideas seem intuitive enough that I think people will get what they're supposed to mean.

Also the wall of brassmoon face for global topics is brilliant.
Last edited by Godbot on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 am

Yeah I don't take full credit though. Moose suggested to use the wall of brassmoon face for the FAQ icon, and I figured it'd also be great for an announcement topic.

Also, I'd also have the shield change slightly from color, not only the gems. Similar as to how it is now, to make it more clearer. Also, hot topics the only change currently is they gain a little icon, so I think that'd be alright. :P

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:24 am

Moose did say that he and the Duke are working on it when they have the free time.

I also agree that we need new icons... I keep having to double check there's no arrow indicating a non-read post
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:34 am

Godbot wrote:People are going to be glancing at them for information, so the differences should be intuitive and obvious, like red shields for unread posts and darkened brown shields for unread posts. So if normal posts with no new threads had completely dulled gems and threads with no new posts had brightly lit gems, that might be a bit better, but still possibly a little too subtle. And ordinarily I'd be a little iffy on having unique icons for hot topics and sticky topics, but your ideas seem intuitive enough that I think people will get what they're supposed to mean.
:P

I suspect you mean "unread" then "read" and "no new posts" and "new posts"?

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am

CelineSSauve wrote: :P

I suspect you mean "unread" then "read" and "no new posts" and "new posts"?
Edited. Thanks for proofreading my post, I guess?

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:32 pm

Wolfie wrote:I keep having to double check there's no arrow indicating a non-read post
Personally I use "View unread posts" feature. It will be even more handy if you read every topic.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:42 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Wolfie wrote:I keep having to double check there's no arrow indicating a non-read post
Personally I use "View unread posts" feature. It will be even more handy if you read every topic.
I do use that once in a while, but if the icons were clearer it wouldn't be an issue.. which is what the other Admins are working on. Which was my point.

I don't mind laughing at myself for clicking on a post that I've read in its entirety.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Is there any way to display the gender information next to our avatars for people who opt in?

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Maybe, I'll look into it.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:17 pm

I'm just musing... shouldn't the Games forum have an OOC subforum (Within the Forum Games part, not outside)? There are several threads that are OOC threads for ongoing games, and there are also threads that are just general chit/chat game or gaming related. Not that it is disturbing or anything, I was just wondering whether it would make finding / using them more comfortable...

While we are at that, if the GodSchool thread restarts at any point, will it be moved to the resources? If it also restarts with tasks for the students, that could stay in the forum games, though.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:21 pm

We can always sticky certain threads like GodSchool.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:35 pm

ok guys I don't like being the odd one out here ( son of odd I know,super funny :meh: )
but well I really think the hidden thread should become a part of the gaming section again....
that place was our hang out I had a ton of fun sharing just random day to day crap. then the forum broke got sucked in a big black hole destroying every thing
pieces were put back together and we built a new forum, one that hopefully be our last.
it's all great and all, it even got that new forum smell I kinda like, but well hidden doesn't really work as a thread as it own, it's practically dead now.
in the old forum if you blinked there would be like 30 new posts, now the posts can be counted on a hand... hidden doesn't work as a stand-alone kind of thing it needs the people of the gaming community,
and with the thread on the other side of the forum traffic is slow. and well with out hidden a large part of what mad this forum so fun in the first place is lost....

it worked the last time, let's trying again :)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:15 pm

I agree. Hidden seems pretty slow as it's own forum. It did get more hits when it was part of games.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:47 pm

Sorry, but there's a reason I set up the new forum the way I did. You may have noticed that all of the major subforums have been moved up a level including one I've long resisted moving up (and it seems to be flourishing with the new layout). The reason was that I wanted you guys to have to use the index more and see that there were more things going on in other parts of the forum. I want this to be a more interconnected community. Additionally, a hidden forum has value for the whole forum, it isn't something that should be buried and reserved for one subset of users. If it isn't getting traffic it's because you guys aren't using it. If you want the subforum to prosper, use it. The same people who seem to care so much about it are in games, so all you have to do is convince them to go and use it while it's located elsewhere. If it doesn't the best you can hope for is that I'll either move it up the index page (which I may do anyways) or that I'll move it into the Discussion forum, which presumably everybody uses.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:49 pm

The Hidden forum has probably more active threads right now than it's ever had before. The particular threads might not be quite as busy right now, but it's not that different than it was before.

If you feel it's slower, it's probably just that not everyone's came back who maybe used the thread, or people don't have as many personal things they wish to be sharing right now! It IS a forum just for things to do more with our personal lives after all.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't know, but you can probably create similar threads in Communities or Forum Games if you want. They just won't be hidden from spiders and bots.

Edit: Although duplicate threads are against the rules... but still. They don't have to be exact duplicates.

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:39 am

How about a separate section for OOC game chatter and Recruitment, though?

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:13 am

CelineSSauve wrote:How about a separate section for OOC game chatter and Recruitment, though?
Pretty sure Moose is considering it, though I don't know whether he's going to go ahead with it or not. Probably best to just wait and see.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:16 am

come on this is just getting crazy, what are we gonna do next, sort all the games I separate sub forums all in alphabetic order...
there is a thing as to much structure
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

CelineSSauve
Indulges in Conversation

Post by CelineSSauve » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:25 am

askstoomuch wrote:come on this is just getting crazy, what are we gonna do next, sort all the games I separate sub forums all in alphabetic order...
there is a thing as to much structure
All I'm asking for is a way for someone who is not in a game, or looking to start a game, or looking to join another game, to easily find if anyone is recruiting (or to have a place to post where possible players can look).

Since recruitment threads turn into the OOC thread, I figure it makes sense just to leave them in the same spot. If it said "Recruit" or "OOC" in the thread title, you know which it is.

The current "grab bag" where a dozen or so active games can easily toss a new recruiting thread down to the bottom and out of sight, is the main reason I'm not offering to run anything. :shrug: