The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan (The End)

For all games that are now over.
EvilCoatrack
Game Master
UStream Username: EvilCoatrack

The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan (The End)

Post by EvilCoatrack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:30 pm

► Show Spoiler
The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan

After escaping an all-out assault on their warcamp near the city of Brassmoon, six goblins of the hunted Stonetear Clan made their way to one of their clan's ancient outposts, an underground mining camp at the bottom of a steep ravine.

Inside, they would find friends, enemies, old secrets, powerful relic, and - perhaps - salvation.

Their story, once well-documented, was lost to the world during a fairly aggravating "dark age." All that survives lies onward.

The six Stonetears arrived to find things not entirely as they had hoped.

Skeletal remnants of their tribes fought with them, as did the more recent living residents!

Sealed passageways were opened, though not entirely in the more dignified fashion.

Curiosities were discovered.

Golems were awakened.

Knowledge was gained - both history and arcane.

An exit was found, though mysteriously sealed.

Puzzles awaited solving.

And deathly traps awaited triggering.

But these goblins did not fear death!

Except for those times where they fear death!

Sealed passages presented more history, and more puzzles.

An old clan hero was reawakened, though how remains a mystery to these exiles.

A puzzles solved...

Revealed their new ally.

More passages, newly opened, were explored.

And old threats were destroyed.

Lightning was discovered, somehow contained below the ground.

The depths revealed stronger foes!

Traps lay hidden below the water's surface!

Jarred energy revealed new passages!

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Re: The Destiny of the Stonetear Clan (The End)

Living beings were discovered, albeit through arson.

Thankfully, these goblins were diplomatic.

Puzzles below the water were solved.

And dangers above were unleashed.

More undead awaited beyond darkened doors.

Through courage, watery graves were avoided.

A statue, come to life, unleashed its rage!

And forced the goblins to flee.

Packing their bags full of skulls turned out to be a bad idea as they awoke angry souls!

Luckily, they were skilled at combat even below water.

A new creature was thrown down the ravine!

A kobold, utterly shocked by what he found below.

The statue, destroyed by violence.

New friends were made where new enemies were discovered before.

The kobold bravely advanced!

...Which wasn't too bright on his part.

Ancient challenges awaited further below.

The kobold USED to be an adventurer, it seemed.

The cavalry arrived!

More demons, discovered.

They turned out to be hostile. Who knew?

An exit, now opened, was explored.

While challenges below were confronted.

A vision of the future, first glimpsed from afar.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Challenges below, gradually conquered.

A stoney cliff, circled by death.

A curious goblin discovered a gear-eating "friend."

Challenges below, finally defeated.

Beneath an old structure, treasure awaits down a well.

A shrinking device was found!

Treasure waited out of reach.

Skeletal mice were dangerous foes for those small enough to enter their lairs!

Mechanical rats were less of a challenge for the mighty warriors.

A small switch was activated, powering another shrinking device.

Shrunken goblins worked together to open the way forward.

But danger awaited when greed waived caution.

A helpful mechanical friend was found below the water.

A sad moment, the first casualty fell.

And anger was harnessed to repay old enemies.

Though some old enemies were not so readily dispatched.

Pursuit was given for the fleeing foes.

And treasure below was finally won!

The demon's lair began to unravel.

Until it was too well-defended.

A deal with a sphinx led to fertile land.

Enchanted armor and blades were deconstructed.

More golems awaited below, strangely inactive.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 pm

On the floating island, secrets were "cleverly" uncovered.

A sacrifice was contemplated.

And transformation was achieved.

A sealed tunnel gave warning.

An ally was given a new body.

Flung further below, the goblin-golem stomped onward.

A teleporter on the floating island was triggered, but only one-way.

Getting used to heavy feet is a process.

The enemy was awakened as the path onward was opened!

But no foe could stand against the Stonetear's new might!

No matter how many defenses needed to be smashed.

At the bottom of the maze, the Stonetears had arrived late.

Their demonic opponents were draining all that remained of a dead god!

Explosive force was needed to achieve victory!

Though the cost was high.

Attempts to free the god were made half-heartedly.

A devastating strike ended its pain.

The battle between demon and golem left the dungeon in ruins.

And doors were left unopened.

An empty shell, located, allowed an old friend yet another new body.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Finale

Having prevented a demonic presence from twisting the essence of a dying god into a vile abomination, the four remaining Stonetear goblins and their Kobold friend resurfaced.

Yells-at-Dragons, the kobold, decided to steal the wyvern egg from the nest at the end of the stone bridge. He was nearly clawed to death, but Acts-Hard-Boiled, a goblin soul living now in yet another golem body, arrived in time to shield him with his metal body, giving the rest of the goblin clan the opportunity to strike the beast down.

Appreciating the removal of the wyvern threat, the sphinx allow safe passage for all that she could carry to the floating island paradise. Unfortunately, she could not carry Acts's new body.

They arrived at their new home, an isolated haven large enough to sustain what was left of their small clan.

Newly arrived, the goblins honored their fallen heroes before they started to rebuild their clan.

Wields-Two-Shields was known for her ferocious bravery, and her statue reminded all who looked upon it of her selfless acts of service to her clan. For many seasons after her death, new generations of the Stonetear Clan would always be taught to follow her example. Every young warrior was first instructed in the use of the shield before they were given any other weapon.

Thinks-Too-Much fell in the final battle to end the demonic threat, upon which may have hung the fate of the entire realm. In life, he had used his arcane abilities to strengthen the morale of his clan mates, which was essential to their survival against much more powerful enemies. For generations, Stonetear warriors chanted "TOO MUCH THOUGHT! TOO MUCH THOUGHT!" to rile themselves up before charging into battle. It worked pretty well.

Crimson-Fire and Tends-To-Get-Lost, who had fallen in love with one another during their search for this new home, settled into building a home and a life together. Each also sought out help from Yells-At-Dragons to bring new members of their clan up to the island (more on the "how" of that later). Within a few seasons, quite a few younglings were running wild all over the island, thanks to these two.

Fond of Amulettes became a builder, learning to hew and sculpt rock as well as build wooden structures. It was he who carved the statues for his honored friends, and it was he who built many of the ladders and shelters that the goblins required in their new home.

Saves-The-Realm was finally free to pursue a peaceful life. She primarily hunted game to feed her clan, and was quite good at using her throwing weapons to take down fast or flying prey. She also (accidentally) discovered the joys of cooked meat, when her flamethrower bracer went off while she was carrying home a wild bird for dinner. The Stonetear goblins, who had been accustomed to eating their meat raw since time immemorial, promptly decided that this was her greatest accomplishment ever.

Over time, the island was filled with Stonetear goblins rescued from the world below - often snatched from the hungering blades of their human or orcish pursuers. A time of peace and plenty lasted for many, many seasons as the clan made its home in the sky.

Yells-At-Dragons, never satisfied to stay in one place for too long, helped the Stonetears to build their new home while he waited for his stolen wyvern egg to hatch. And when it did hatch, he suddenly found himself to be the creature's de facto mother! He became the first kobold in the history of the realm to take to the skies atop a trained wyvern, and absolutely loved every second of it. He used his newfound mobility to help transport the Stonetears and from their new home, bringing back new recruits and fresh supplies. In return, he always had a safe place to land when he was in the area.

One place that Yells never ventured to, however, was the neighboring island. He tried, on multiple occasions, to get his wyvern to land there, but the beast always bucked and violently dived away from it, sensing something supernatural and evil about that place.

Acts-Hard-Boiled never made it to his clanmates new home - his body was simply too heavy for either the sphinx or the wyvern to fly him there, and the teleporter only functioned from the opposite end. He remained a lasting guardian of his clan, however, standing watch over the teleport pad in the event that his clan ever needed to evacuate en masse. While he was visited somewhat frequently by his clanmates as they aged, he outlived every last one of them, and was never able to visit their statues when they passed away. Instead, he was able to see their children and grandchildren when they flew over (on the children and grandchildren of Yells' wyvern), and always passed on the story of how a small group of goblins (and one annoying kobold), saved their clan and their realm by striking down a god.

Very few of them ever believed him.

~fin

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:51 pm

And with that, my presence on these forums is just about officially over.

I'll try to hang around and answer any questions people may have about the game (if you can remember it well enough to ask). Thanks for reading!

Trench
Remains Silent

Post by Trench » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:37 pm

ECR: Thanks man. It was awesome. Well done.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 am

Thanks so much ECR. It's too bad that we probably won't see you again, but I enjoyed the game immensely while it lasted. :)

My only questions are what the different modes of the challenge room would do, and what was on the other island.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:48 am

If you did the Stonetear symbol challenge, which meant that each section of golems in that room activated on three consecutive turns, you would have got the gun from the last golem. I never drew up stats for it.

A few other hidden things:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
All of the named weapons in this game were named after characters I played online - most of them from WoW or UO, with one of them being "Late, the Party Crasher" after my character in LSN's Last Ditch Dungeon.

Glad that you enjoyed it! There's an outside chance that I might do another one sometime in the future, but I'm pretty burnt out on making forum games (it was a fun couple of years though). Was starting to stall a bit (but was still going strong) by the time Blind Ferret's hosting screwed us over and took all my text updates with it. After that I really lost interest.

Ironically, making an MS Paint forum game here was kickstarted by me losing interest in Minecraft, which happened after I just finished building something on a public server and had it trashed 5 minutes later. I tell ya, losing your work is disheartening.

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:17 am

Oh, and the castle island, right.

Plan was for that to be the start of another game - years from now, the descendants of the DotSC players sense a great evil power rising from the isolated castle. Concerned that it may threaten them, they construct a way to fly there (none of their wyverns would take them), and have adventures. Probably would have included the escaped devil-leader guy from EFB and DotSC, would have been his final appearance as a villain. I started the art for the castle a looooong time ago, but it never even got past rough outline stages. I wanted it to all be in 3D style and fully colored, which would have just been a ton of work.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 am

Shit yeah! Yells the sky pirate!

Thanks ECR! That was worth waiting for :) And I'm sorry you're leaving the forums, it's been awesome having you around. I hope you do come back some time even just to swing by and say hi once in a while :)

What was behind the demon door?

vidius
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by vidius » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:17 am

Being in both games you ran on these forums will forever be some of my fondest memories. Thank you ECR. I really can't say anything other then that. Thank you.
"Winter is coming"

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:11 am

Awesome ending :D on behalf of all the silent readers, thanks so much, it's been a joy to follow your games over the last few years :)

On a personal note, cheers for the inspiration to make my own game, although I know it doesn't measure up to the master :P

Peace ^^

Jib
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

EvilCoatrack
Game Master

Post by EvilCoatrack » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for the kind words guys - and for playing interesting characters.

Behind the demon door was the Builder, the construct who built all of the defenses and left the message that Saves received. The demons captured her while they were working on tunneling around her defenses, but they couldn't kill her. Players could have opened her door by collecting five keys from the top demon warriors, but that would have required a pretty strong commitment to clearing out that side of the dungeon first. When the D20 died, her power source died too, so opening the door wouldn't have accomplished much.

Jib: I'm glad you enjoyed the games, and it is even better if they inspired you to create your own (which I haven't had a chance to check out yet, but will try to make time for). Don't worry about trying to measure up to others when creating games here - taking the step to create is one step further than most make, and should free you to build something that brings you joy. If you are having fun with it, chances are that others are too.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 am

Great going with the game ECR! It have been awesome reading it. The players also added a lot to the game so a thanks to them as well.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:58 am

Awesome game and finale!

Which players went with which characters again? And what were end game char stats, before the finale?
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Arles
Game Master
UStream Username: sir_arles

Post by Arles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks for the hard work, ECR. It was a hell or a ride.

Here's a preview of a little something I'm working on to celebrate TDotSC ending:

Crimson and Tends

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:Which players went with which characters again?
From: http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.ph ... 0#p3674429
Characters:

Crimson Fire, played by arles.
Tends To Get Lost, played by YoungAndBeautiful.
Fond Of Amulettes, played by LooksAndSmiles.
Acts Hard Boiled, played by Trench.
Wields Two Shields, played by vid20.
Thatgoblin, played by thatguy.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 am

And of course Yells at Dragons (Mighty Adventurer) the kobold, played by me :)

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 am

thinkslogically wrote:And of course Yells at Dragons (Mighty Adventurer) the kobold, played by me :)
Yeah, I was looking for a source for that but it seems that the post where ECR announced your inclusion to the game was lost in oblivion too. That, or I searched poorly. :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:48 am

No, the forum died around Turn 98 or so and Yells didn't arrive until Turn 100. Until this summary there was no record anywhere on the internet of his awesomeness, so I'm glad he's back :)

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:45 am

I have to Tune in here ECR.. this have been one of my great inspirations, and truly a great game to follow.. I understand your pain at loosing so much to the crash, I do believe others do too.

Thanks for the run, I hope your popping in from time to time will be more than just that in the future.. but life calls... cheers to you.

A tenfold hooray for the stone-tear clan, and the maker god that saw them through this adventure and many more in our minds.!
-Best regards LAYF

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 am

Also, I was playing Thinks Too Much, who replaced ThatGuy(and his character ThatGoblin) quite awhile before the end.

Arles
Game Master

Post by Arles » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:33 am

madmartin26 wrote:Also, I was playing Thinks Too Much, who replaced ThatGuy(and his character ThatGoblin) quite awhile before the end.
Oh, yeah, hahaha. Remember ThatGuy?

Maiandra
Speaks Quietly

Post by Maiandra » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Something I had been wondering all the time I was reading: down in the well, where Crimson finally got the tantalising sword, the right part of the wall was straight. Was there anything hidden there?