The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Artho pauses for a moment, then turns to Mehriv:
"Where will you go next? I think I will try and reach the lizardfolk in the south. If I am lucky, perhaps they will have more information for me. If I am not...

How does that messenger bird of yours work? Can it only send messages to you?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:58 pm

"Given the use of the keyword, it can send a short message to a given person at a given location, provided the sender has been to the location before. Though you have been a good host, parting with it would require quite a hefty price."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 pm

"I see... And how far can it fly? I do not wish to purchase or take the bird from you, but I would very much like to use it to inform my contacts about these recent developments. I dare not risk my life AND the information I have learned, but I fear that time is not on my side in this. Do you know anyone in town who is familiar with these lands who could return the bird to you? House Morley, perhaps?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:28 pm

"Hrm... I do not particularly trust the families to return something of such value when they could as easily claim it never arrived... What do we think?"

Not entirely confident the bird would come back, and it would take a couple of days, but... Flaws. Artho needs help, Mehr is inclined to help.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:47 pm

((Mehriv would know that honesty amongst nobility is important to them, especially amongst merchants. Reputation is vital!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:15 pm

"If the person you send it to isn't there,
what happens? Does it just wait until they show up? You'd need someone you know where they are going to be then, right?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 pm

((Those same nobility who were trying to claim ownership of a boat for their personal gain? Yeah no.))

"Hmn, true. The effect seems to match the Animal Messenger spell, but while a normal animal would return after one day, the statue reverts after twelve hours, so if the subject isn't at the location by that time it will become a simple statue... Ah, no, I was remembering a detail wrong. The effect can only be activated once every three days. It is not overly efficient for two-way communication. For relaying information it is quite valuable, but retrieval is another matter."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 pm

((ah yes...I forgot you'd met them :) ))

Artho frowns and nods seriously.

"I see. Well, thank you anyway. I had better be moving on. I intend to try and reach the southern tribes if I can. Perhaps they can be of some assistance, or at least she'd some light on all this."

Gentlemen; ladies - it has been a pleasure."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm

"My hopes for your wellbeing, friend. May the southern lizards prove less barbarous."
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 pm

"If we cross paths again, may we have better news to share."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:19 am

To Artho

"The woman said the lizards to the south were less likely to kill you but weren't much for helping either."

To Mehr,

"So what are we gonna do now? We can try and find Trip's group if we are hopin' to have the numbers to go after the kidnapped Morley's. Otherwise I guess we can follow Syli's cat friend's message? Or just wander around in the jungle like we have been."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:35 am

"The lizards are in a fortified position. If they're the ones who took our mark, then we need a way to get her back from them. For that, we have a few options. First is that we continue to guerrilla warfare as we have been, slowly whittling away their numbers. That isn't optimal, since it's a slow solution and leaves the girl in danger. The second is that we find a way to force them out of that camp. The only way I can see that happening without putting the girl in extreme danger is to get help from the locals to bolster our strength. Mercenaries will be arriving fairly soon, so their strength can be added to ours, but they may not all be reliable. The third option is to offer up something the lizards want more than one human. They have displayed that they are more willing to die than to betray their clan, it makes negotiations difficult... That leaves one last option. Covert operations. If we can observe the camp and work out when it is least protected, one person may be able to slip in and extract our target. Leaving others behind is a painful thing, but sneaking many out would be impossible. The best that could be offered would be freeing them from their restraints and giving them a chance to fight for their freedom or death. They would likely die, but it means they won't be sacrificed, and the chaos could give the person sneaking in a chance to escape, if there are enough captives. Am I overlooking any options?"
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:08 am

"You said there was a cat druid? Do we think we can trust them? Artho, you know anything about cat druids in these parts?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 am

"I know there are more than a few who prefer the wilds over civilisation, and there are probably some who favour cats. Many are transient and prefer to keep to themselves, but they sometimes congregate in a place far to the northeast that they hold sacred. Some say that great animal spirits guard it and keep it safe; others believe it to be a campfire ghost story. I have never seen it myself so I cannot say what is there, but I believe it to be a real place."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

"Thing is, we haven't exactly been do a stellar job at the whittlin' down their numbers. If I recall I packed most of you unconscious into a ruined tower yesterday. We don't know the terrain like they do so we're gonna have that against us. Mercs may distract them though but we don't know when they're comin'. Who you gonna send sneakin'?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Artho's ears perk up a little at Varsk's comment.

"Forgive my intrusion, but... infiltration is something of a specialty of mine. Perhaps we should work together?"
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:56 pm

"Hrm, if we can confirm that the person we're looking for is in that camp, our task would be complete and there would be no issue with using the bird to send your message."
My game:

My characters:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

((Er, Syli hasn't spoken yet since she got back.))

Syli stands silently, having held her words upon noticing the newcomer. Whereas the others were discussing their plans, Syli seemed more intent on scrutinizing the newcomer, especially as he suddenly switched a stance from wanting to depart to seemingly wanting to help them infiltrate the lizards' camp. The others were far too trusting of this stranger...

--Insight (+3): 20
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 am

Varsk looks back at Artho at his offer,

"What's your angle then? We send a messenger bird in a few days and you risk your life?"
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:26 am

"Mn, it does seem rather unintuitive to risk ones life in order to relay information with less risk. Is there something more you would ask for?"
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:36 am

Artho looks at the group:
"I think you may have misunderstood. My duty is to gather information and relay it to my people. I can do neither of those things if I am dead, and so I was proposing that perhaps we may assist each other."

Syli: He seems concerned about the options in front of him, like he's uncertain about the best course for him to take.

Varsk: He certainly seems worried.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:42 pm

"You said there was a cat druid? Do we think we can trust them? Artho, you know anything about cat druids in these parts?"
As the others continue to discuss planning, Syli turns her attention to Korrik. "Considering how it went with the last druid we encountered?"

"...I dunno. I mean, he or she didn't attack us while we were camping, but that could just be simple common sense rather than any show of trustworthiness; they didn't necessarily know we were nearly spent, they could've assumed they would've lost, even with the element of surprise. And if they were really offering help, or asking for help, there's no reason they simply couldn't have asked, rather than put an extremely vague set of directions on a piece of hide. And on top of that, we'd have to navigate all the way BACK to our campsite just to get to the starting point for these directions, and then slog through an additional four-to-five miles of mosquito-infested hell... and that's assuming I'm even reading the stupid thing correctly. And to top it all off, it's also assuming the whole thing isn't a trap to bait myself and whoever comes with into a trap where he or she has the upper hand. Or reinforcements. Or, joy of joys, both."

Syli sighs and rubs her hand against her forehead.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

"Yeah... or wanting us to face justice for what happened to their friend."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:52 pm

"...oh hell, I didn't even think about that one." Syli groans.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:00 pm

To Artho,

"I may have missed some stuff before I showed up, but how in the abyss would sneakin' into, or even towards, a camp full of blood thirsty lizards keep you more alive and sendin' information than sneakin' in the other damned direction? Not sayin' I don't want your help on this but I do want ta be clear on why your doin' it."