The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:29 pm

Yup. And Mehriv and Gwen too if they're paying attention.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:55 am

Can't decide between EK and BM but it seems like the BM would require less RP forcing based on who Varsk is (used to being a leader). So lets go with that.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:23 am

Cool, sounds good. Since that's quite a natural progression for Varsk, feel free to RP him practicing stuff on his own (same goes for everyone really). I'll add details and extras as we go.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:35 am

So in response to Burns's post, I agree. There are other classes and options to allow stealth attacks and casting, and I don't want to take away from those. However, theres nothing in the rules to say that casting breaks stealth which means it's going to require a house rule.

Personally, I think that any spell which shoots out if the caster's hands or whatever (like magic missile, ray of frost, those sorts of things) will break cover automatically, much like an archer would. Spells that just appear out of nowhere (like entangle) I think should require skill checks depending on the components needed to cast them (so vocal, somatic, material would each require some kind of check), providing that stealth casting (or bluffing it) is a realistic option.

The better the ideas you guys come up with, the more likely you'll be to get advantage on a roll.

Saying all of that, does this sound reasonable to you guys? If not, how would you change it?

FWIW, this is also why Gwen doesn't get automatic fear effects for using Disguise Self. There is a level 3 spell called fear that forces a target to flee if it fails to save. Getting that same effect for free on a L1 spell seems too much, which is why intimidate checks are needed too (and will have less certain effects).

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:40 am

Sounds reasonable to me, although near as I can tell, the one Burns was referencing (Subtle Spell) doesn't disguise somatic/verbal components, it gets rid of them entirely, making it useful for casting when you CAN'T provide verbal or somatic components as well.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:31 am

It seems there'd be a fair difference between casting a spell on the sly while in a tavern common room vs while already hiding, but I think that's well handled by giving advantage to anyone but Syli apparently!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 am

Yup, for sure. Though I think that's probably why there's no one ruling in the RAW. A bard with a decent deception check could cast a spell in full view just by singing a bar song for example, but still have it go unnoticed. Or you could engineer the circumstances so that it doesn't matter as much if they see you (eg getting someone alone to cast Charm on them or whatever). The possibilities are pretty endless, so it's probably just one of those things we'll deal with as circumstances change.

Anyway, if you guys are ok with this for now we'll go with it and see how it works out :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am

At least it doesn't impact getting the spell off... even if they notice Syli, she should still have cover against ranged attacks.

I assume casting an attack spell from stealth would still give you advantage for being hidden though? Wouldn't have to make a separate check prior to resolving the attack?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:24 am

Yes but only if there's an attack roll involved:

When a creature can't see you you have advantage on attack rolls against it. (PHB p.195)

In this specific instance, the Entangle spell requires a save so wouldn't qualify (as I'm sure you know).

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:36 am

Yeah, suppose it's going to reveal your position anyway, but being hidden gives you a bit of an edge.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:23 pm

Quick question on Varsk's most recent attack following this conversation, would he have advantage since the lizard folk archer hasn't seen him? I didn't roll with advantage, should I have? Guessing it is already a hit but there is always the hope of a crit, right?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Yes you would actually so go ahead and roll again :)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Great! It was an 11 so I'm going to stick with the 18. :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:41 pm

Fair enough! I'll update when I'm home.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:30 pm

Stealth casting options seem good, though I kinda have to wonder how a material part would become more stealthy. I suppose it depends on the material component itself, and your class if you have a focus to negate it. If you use a wand or staff it could be pretty hard to use in a busy space, if it's a religious icon you could mask it as praying.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:02 pm

I think the focus just has to be in your hand. A staff could pass as a walking stick; small stuff could fit in a pocket and be easily palmed in a quiet place before use. I guess wands and orbs are more difficult, but they could preumably also be disguised in some way and carried in plain sight.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Gwen has a green crystal necklace that she uses as her focus.

Also the dice are trying to kill us.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Wait, does the warlock focus not have to be, like, their book? Or a standard magic focus?
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:20 pm

Crystal is an arcane focus. I fluffed it to be a crystal necklace.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Only Pact of the Tome warlocks have a book as a key part of their class, and for the cantrips it grants, it just has to be on their person. If a Tome Warlock takes the Book of Ancient Secrets as an Invocation, they can cast rituals from their tome, but must have it in hand while doing so.

Otherwise warlocks can use any arcane focus or a material components pouch to satisfy the material component as long as it doesn't have a cost.

Although, by the book, that is a 1lb crystal dangling around Gwen's neck. No wonder she can't hit anything, her neck must be killing her! :lol:
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:15 pm

Speaking of which, Mehriv needed a 50gp diamond for chromatic spray(?), is that right?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm

If you're permitting XGtE spells, this is an interesting spell that could take CO's place in Mehr's repertoire...

Chaos Bolt
1st-level evocation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You hurl an undulating, warbling mass of chaotic energy at one creature in range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 2d8 + 1d6 damage. Choose one of the d8s. The number rolled on that die determines the attack's damage type, as shown below.

D8 damage type
1 Acid
2 Cold
3 Fire
4 Force
5 Lightning
6 Poison
7 Psychic
8 Thunder
If you roll the same number on both d8s, the chaotic energy leaps from the target to a different creature of your choice within 30 feet of it. Make a new attack roll against the new target, and make a new damage roll, which could cause the chaotic energy to leap again.

A creature can be targeted only once by each casting of this spell.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, each target takes 1d6 extra damage of the type rolled for each slot level above 1st.

... more variable than chromatic orb, and you can't choose the damage type, but the range is better, it's chaos themed, and doesn't need a fancy diamond!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Chromatic orb, yeah. Doesn't matter at the moment since I have no spell slots.

Chaos bolt look cool. Seems more suitable to Wild Magic too. :p

I haven't seen anything on XGtE, so I haven't been looking at it myself, don't expect me to pick out any of the cool stuff from it. :p
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:55 pm

... You have three L1 spell slots (and know 3 level 1 spells):

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Sorcerer#content

EDIT: Or do you just mean you've run out of slots for the day?
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:57 pm

I meant that I've used them all at the moment. I've also already converted my Sorcery Points into a fourth and used that, too. Only used two L1 spells this fight, but they weren't refreshed from the last fight.
My game:

My characters: