Global Moderator

Re: Twitter: [now] Thunt hospitalized!

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for the update.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Yeah, thanks wears. That sucks he's in pain, but I'm glad it seems fairly minor since far.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 pm

It's still possible that might require a shunt to fix if it doesn't clear up on it's own. They'll be watching his CSF pressures for now. And yeah, his best bet is if they give him enough of something to let him sleep. He's going to feel like he's got a whopper of a sinus headache except it'll be his whole head. Thanks for the update Wears.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:11 am

@DragonTurtle: Angiogram postponed to tomorrow so an anaesthesiologist could be present. After that test we'll have a better idea about treatment. It was a hard day, but got better in the evening. When I left, he was sleeping well for the first time since he arrived. So, now I sleep too. :)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:49 am

So we know for sure now he won't be drawing until this is over, if he's in that much pain. Even if he wants to take a much-deserved break, any idea when he'll be out?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:20 am

I would anticipate at least 2 more days, including today, if everything goes perfect, mainly to allow proper sealing of the angio site, but to also allow an additional day of observation. If his pressures stay elevated, or his pain levels stay high, about 4. If any procedures other than the angio are required, then it will depend.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:35 am

He's in for the angiogram now. It'll be a couple of hours while they poke around inside his blood vessels.

Like Lurks said, best case is he just needs to rest and heal for a couple more days. If he requires surgery, it would likely be another 10 days. Hopefully that's it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:59 am

Thanks for all you do, Wears.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Is there a way for Duke or somebody to update Tarol's blog, so that people who don't follow anything but the front page will know what's going on?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:26 pm

That's a good thought. I don't think they want to go into too much detail, but a general status update could be in order. I know Matt did one for Goblins Animated.

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:57 am

Did you recive any more news yet as to what is going on?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:56 am

Thunt is doing better today. They're thinking of transferring him out of intensive care into a regular room.

Testing shows the actual problem is a "dural fistula." Which is apparently not a character from Star Wars but rather an improper connection between a majority artery and a vein (which are not supposed to be directly connected). It's pretty rare and it can cause hemorrhaging and other serious problems, but it is usually readily fixable. They basically put a tube into the artery and caulk the hole shut.

Surgery will likely be on Tuesday, and he'll need a couple of days to heal after that.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:46 pm

Cool :) that's good news! Glad they caught it at a relatively minor stage and that fixing it should be fairly straightforward. Hopefully it might even fix his migraines :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:59 pm

The dental surgery to replace the infected bone in his face did a lot to alleviate the migraines.

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:42 pm

WearsHats wrote:the infected bone in his face.
:grem: :waitwtf:

...THAT'S what it was? Geeze, I think you can make a DnD monster out of that.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Yeah, apparently there was a tooth infection that went undetected. It spread upwards through his skull, very gradually, for decades. They had to cut open his face and replace a good chunk of his skull. He looked pretty terrifying for a while, with a big stitched-up gash running down the middle.

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:27 pm

WearsHats wrote:Yeah, apparently there was a tooth infection that went undetected. It spread upwards through his skull, very gradually, for decades. They had to cut open his face and replace a good chunk of his skull. He looked pretty terrifying for a while, with a big stitched-up gash running down the middle.
...Maybe Mr. Fingers was Thunt's subconscious trying to tell him something.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:29 pm

I was kind of wondering the same thing...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Here are the relevant tweets about it. He posted a picture at one point, but I think he took it back down.
► Show Spoiler

► Show Spoiler

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:09 pm

WearsHats wrote:He posted a picture at one point, but I think he took it back down.
Can't be any worse than what I'm imagining (Note: the linked video from Skyfall makes you imagine bad things).

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Thunt is having a harder day today. Just have to hold on through the weekend. Hopefully it'll get better.

He did want to make it clear that there is a small but non-zero risk of complications from the surgery. He was told 1%. Which I think is pretty good for messing around with a major artery in the brain. But he just wants to be clear that there are no guarantees.

► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:04 pm

1% is basically down to anesthesia risk and weird stuff that can't be planned for. They are probably going to do a coil procedure, or something similar. A Coil procedure is typically used for an aneurysm, but I don't see why it could'nt be used for a fistula as well. A small "spring" of metal is introduced into the problem area and induces the formation of a clot around it that plugs the problem. It seems to self regulate pretty well and isn't much worse than having another angiogram. I suppose another possibility would be the deployment of a goretex endograft across the opening of the fistula to seal it off. I don't know if they make endografts that small though.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:36 pm

Obviously, no surgery is without risk. Thunt just didn't want people to forget that.

When I said caulk, I meant it. They're using Onyx. It's a liquid surgical glue that solidfies into a seal.

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:42 pm

How will they keep the Onyx in place?
Still often done with a small stent.... (prevents the droplet of glue from drifting away, thus allowing the use of less glue)

Anyway, I wish him a restful night, and the strength required to,pull through umtil the docs have time to deal with him.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

TheGreatOldOne
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: the_great_old_one

Post by TheGreatOldOne » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Krulle wrote:How will they keep the Onyx in place?
Still often done with a small stent.... (prevents the droplet of glue from drifting away, thus allowing the use of less glue)

Anyway, I wish him a restful night, and the strength required to,pull through umtil the docs have time to deal with him.
Onyx isn't really glue, it's an embolic agent (EVOH resin w/ suspended tantalum powder for X-ray fluoroscopy contrast) dissolved in DMSO. The idea is that it will create a permanent embolus lodged in the fistula, and the blood flow itself serves to further solidify it. Proper placement of the catheter at the delivery site and controlled delivery of the Onyx are the primary concerns in getting proper embolization of the bAVM (brain arteriovenous malformation, the dural fistual in Thunt's case). There are a host of other concerns regarding the use of Onyx and possible contraindications, but it seems like Thunt is an ideal candidate, given what we know. This paper has a good description of the procedure in detail: http://www.ajnr.org/content/31/8/1516