Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Discuss the comic here!
FliesManyKites
Mumbles Incoherently

Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog post

Post by FliesManyKites » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:02 am

All I can say is... WOAH!

This is huge and I am SO excited :D

Thunt gives a public announcement about new in-development animated series, plus a happy update on the card game!

ETA: Campaign relaunch is live!

Last edited by WearsHats on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Indiegogo link

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Goblins, the Animated Series! (BIG NEWS) - Aug 30 blog p

Post by Krulle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:18 am

Cool.
Plus, from the bottom of the page it looks like they're trying to implement Disqus comments to Goblinscomic.org. :=)
Nice. Can I reactivate my Disqus account. :)

Also, we're running into abbreviations problems.
I find Goblins, GobCom okay, but then we also have G:AR, and now we can add G:A... Or better use Ganimated?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 am

Sounds pretty impressive so far. I'm looking forward to hearing more.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:10 am

Ok, this is really really neat. Can't wait to see the trailer, however "unfinished" it might look.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Hjerne
Of Few Words

Post by Hjerne » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:48 pm

So Thunt has now achieved George R R Martin status. For the first couple of seasons we'll all be saying "Ha ha we know what happens next." After that we'll be like "This hasn't happened yet in the strip. Thunt stop going to conventions and talk shows and start writing again!"

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:50 am

Yeah, he'll need to seriously speed up his comic pages output to keep ahead, or at least close to, the animated series...

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:12 am

Well, Thunt wrote the entire story before the first page was posted, and he's been drawing for a decade. And he's done with G:AR, so hopefully updates will be more regular. It'll be a while before G:TAS catches up with the comic.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:17 am

Who's doing the animation for the animated series?

Rooks
Speaks Quietly

Post by Rooks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

WearsHats wrote:Well, Thunt wrote the entire story before the first page was posted, and he's been drawing for a decade. And he's done with G:AR, so hopefully updates will be more regular. It'll be a while before G:TAS catches up with the comic.
It also seems like Thunt has gobs of side story that hasn't been told through the main story as well. If the animators ever start getting too close the main story, you can just go all "Naruto" on things and give 50 episodes of filler material that is side stories.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Who's doing the animation for the animated series?
We don't know yet.
Thunt's Blog wrote:Aside from Matt [King] and Phil [LaMarr], I don't think I'm allowed to officially name any of the actors, the animation studio, who's doing the music, etc. At this point, I'd rather err on the side of caution since this whole thing has like... lawyers involved with contracts and percentages and lots of grown-up stuff like that.

mightclark
Remains Silent

Post by mightclark » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:18 am

Whoa! I'm super excited for this, I remember bringing up the idea for an animated series to him on the twitter a while back, I was planning on making it my first big high quality level animated series, but this is so much better than what I could make I'm sure with pro voice actors too!

"Replying to @Voss_Guides
@Vossguide DO EEEEEET!
9:39 PM - 28 Oct 2013"

Ah the memories.

cj95
Remains Silent

Post by cj95 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 pm

....."hopefully updates will be more regular".......

Unofficial motto of this site.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:26 am

Yes. Yes, it is our official motto.
Thank you for noticing. ;)

But we also have the slight variance of:
....."hopefully updates will be more often".......

[edit]BTW:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:
@FidelSarcasto wrote:Everyone seems so excited about this. I just miss the weekly comics. Really made Mondays a lot brighter
I miss them too. But now that I'm finished building the card game, a lot more of my time can focus on the comic.

DragonTurtle
Keeps Eli Balanced
UStream Username: HyperHalfling

Post by DragonTurtle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:59 pm

For people interested in following the progress of the Goblins Animated project, we have places you can go :) :
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GoblinsAnimated
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/goblinsanimated/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/goblins_animated
Tarol's Twitter: https://twitter.com/Thunt_Goblins
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/dragonturtle
Matt King's Twitter: https://twitter.com/maddking
Phil LaMarr's Twitter: https://twitter.com/phillamarr

Why those last two? They're our writers, and two of our voice actors. If you're not familiar with their names, go check them out. I guarantee you've heard their voices. :)
I am always me, but go by many names, depending where you find me.
@HyperHalfling and @DragonTurtle on Twitter; DragonTurtle here; the_kender, DragonTurtle, or the Hyper Halfling on Twitch; Theodora van Zeeland in the Society for Creative Anachronism; Danielle Stephens in real life, and when you hear me on a live stream. (I don't do Facebook any more.)

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:49 pm

I won't be able to follow the updates in that much detail, but I did see an interesting page with drawing characteristics of Big Ears:

cj95
Remains Silent

Post by cj95 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:07 pm

How does the animation project affect the comic schedule?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:57 am

I think he's an advisor at most. Made some drawing examples, and the rest should be handled by the animation team.

His time is still getting eaten by G:AR...

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm thinking the progress with the webcomic will be slowed still further by this news. I'm unsure how I feel about this. For Tarol and co, it's clearly great news that many more can enjoy the world he has created (Throws Confetti), but for us hardened fans seeking plot development, maybe less happy.

If anyone remembers, Galaxion rebooted with new art and same plot, it took some years to catch up to where the last iteration got to before new plot material was forthcoming.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:03 pm

He's been doing a lot of work on G:AR because of G:TAS. It didn't seem right to launch a new project with the last one unfulfilled, even though it was a licensed product and not ever supposed to be his job. But he's just about done with that. G:TAS is another matter. He's a consultant, doing animation guides to help others draw the characters and reviewing the dialog to make sure it's in character. He's involved in regular meetings. But the bulk of the work will be done by experienced professionals.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Good luck with the new show, I hope it will be a success.

Do we know if they are going to use the goblins comic material or this is a new story?
Seems like they should make the material more kid friendly if they want to do animated series.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:45 pm

Just because it's animated, doesn't necessarily mean it's a kid's show. I'd hate for him having to twist his story to placate the "think about the kids" people. :roll:

And it has to be (at least partially) animated, because there are no real life goblin (actor)s. Or Yuan-Ti. Or owl-bears. Or most of the other residents of the goblins universe...
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:06 am

Matt Freeman wrote:@Thunt_Goblins I just realized something. How is the Animated Series going to handle "that" storyline with Kin?
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I honestly don't know if I'd have to change that story arc or not. It might have to be implied instead of said outright, I'm not sure.
Which does not tell us if the story in G:TAS will be the same, or an adaption of the comic's story line. And whether Thunt will have a say in that.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 am

GathersIngredients wrote:Just because it's animated, doesn't necessarily mean it's a kid's show. I'd hate for him having to twist his story to placate the "think about the kids" people. :roll:

And it has to be (at least partially) animated, because there are no real life goblin (actor)s. Or Yuan-Ti. Or owl-bears. Or most of the other residents of the goblins universe...
Strangely enough, there aren't any real-life dragons, or orcs, or ents, and yet (most of) the Lord of the Rings movies weren't animated... ;)

But I agree, "animated" does not equal "made for kids." It's something that many people still haven't learned, even though shows like The Simpsons and South Park have been a thing for more than twenty years.

Overshot
Mutters to Themself

Post by Overshot » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:57 am

WearsHats wrote:He's been doing a lot of work on G:AR because of G:TAS. It didn't seem right to launch a new project with the last one unfulfilled, even though it was a licensed product and not ever supposed to be his job. But he's just about done with that. G:TAS is another matter. He's a consultant, doing animation guides to help others draw the characters and reviewing the dialog to make sure it's in character. He's involved in regular meetings. But the bulk of the work will be done by experienced professionals.

I thought he said he's done with G:AR?

It's not been good lately.. I think we got 1 single comic update in the last 5-6 weeks.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Morgaln wrote:
GathersIngredients wrote:Just because it's animated, doesn't necessarily mean it's a kid's show. I'd hate for him having to twist his story to placate the "think about the kids" people. :roll:

Strangely enough, there aren't any real-life dragons, or orcs, or ents, and yet (most of) the Lord of the Rings movies weren't animated... ;)

But I agree, "animated" does not equal "made for kids." It's something that many people still haven't learned, even though shows like The Simpsons and South Park have been a thing for more than twenty years.
Simpsons and South Park handles many topics (including contemporary issues), that is very different from goblins comic which is more story oriented.
The fact the Thunt considers changing Kin storyline shows he considers the medium and the crowd he need to address.