The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: The Wandering Archipelago (D&D 5e)

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm

((Hmm... I don't think Mehr would have any experience there. He's more like a politician than a merchant, to be honest.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:20 pm

(Gwen has no knowledge of treasure. Or at least the conventional kind.)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:30 pm

(Kal is, of course, a country yokel who has spent his whole life tending a small shrine, out in the wilds, or inside a tiny forest village not unlike the Ewoks' treetop settlement on Endor. He knows absolutely nothing about appraisal.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:47 pm

((I'd have a decent amount of 'on the job' experience with knowing the value of things. When smuggling items for clients, knowing the value of what you're moving is useful information.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:32 pm

((Syli probably wouldn't have the same level of experience as Korrik, but she's fenced a few items back in the day. She'd have a decent idea of what items could potentially fetch if pawned, anyway, although actual value might be beyond her))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:18 pm

"Good evening my fine fellow!"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

((not sure I'll have time to update before tomorrow night cos I'm out and about this weekend but I'll get you something asap :) ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:15 pm

(So how much time do you think we have? With the bonuses I am tempted to put on a performace near the shop and maybe advertise it.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:39 pm

Up to you :) it's about 5.00pm now and you don't need to be on the ship until 6am (Dawn). Assuming you want a long rest tonight, you'll need to be in bed by 11pm ish to get 6 hours sleep (usually it's been 8 hours in the wilds, but you don't need to keep watch in town unless you're paranoid).

The streets near your shop are pretty empty at night, so if you wanted to perform you'd probably need to find a bar.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 am

spiderwrangler wrote:"Good evening my fine fellow!"
The old man snorts as he startles awake and hurriedly reached to adjust his glasses.

"Oh my! You startled me! Now... What can I do for you young man? Wait, wait wait! Where are my manners? Let me get you a cup of tea! It's a new batch fresh in just yesterday."

He hops off his stool and hurries to the back.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:13 am

((What does the shop look like? Any halfling sized shirts?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:31 am

It's a mess of high shelves all stocked to bursting with sacks of grains, seeds and other foodstuffs, various tools and useful bits of equipment are stacked high off the ground, there are rolls of cloth and sacking, bundles of clothes and piles of boots. The whole place is ordered chaos of more or less anything (mundane) you could want to buy.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:36 am

((Sounds like I'll need to ask when he returns.))

I wait patiently, idly looking about the shop.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 am

Give me a perception check.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:43 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:48 am

While you wait for the shopkeeper to return, you spot a barrel of cut-price items, which includes a nice dark green silk shirt cut to about your size. It's currently for sale at 5cp.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:02 pm

I pull it out and try it on. "What do you think Kal? Silk might be more comfortable, given the climate."

I'll lightly go through a few of the drills I'd learned during my time in the monastery, ensuring the shirt gives me enough freedom of movement to do move easily.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

It's got a small tear in the left seam, but otherwise seems a good fit and is pleasantly cool.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:46 pm

"Should be able to patch that right up... "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:59 pm

"I can't say I know anything about silk," Kal replies, gently touching the material. "It's not something we often encounter in our village. I vaguely recall something about it sometimes being vulnerable to water damage. But as you can see, my own clothing is primarily made from the hides of animals we hunted ourselves and homespun fabric bought from local traders. This does have a very nice feel to it."

(I'll be on the road today, so might not be able to check in for a while. Since it seems the party has the evening free, Once the shirt is bought and mended, Kal will either put in a few hours fixing up the shop or practicing with his woodworking kit. Or both at once, if possible. But he'll be sure to go to bed on time.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:52 am

"You mean rain will make it fall apart? That'll be an issue here. Certainly not as good as the shirt I lost when the others killed the gnome... I can understand burying the dead with some modesty, but wish it wasn't my shirt...
...What... what are the burial practices of Pelor? Don't know if that old gnome had any care for the gods, but apparently it's a gnome thing to pile rocks on their dead."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:24 am

► Show Spoiler
"I really couldn't say. Like I told you,
I have no experience with silk myself. I just vaguely recall hearing something about water being a problem. What kind of problem and whether it applies to this kind of silk is entirely beyond me.

As for burial rites, they vary by region and culture. In the swampy forest, you can't really bury your dead. Some use a pyre to return the dead to Pelor's light. But that can be dangerous in the woods. A cairn works well enough. More important is that the prayers be said for the soul.
Really, once the spirit leaves, the body is an empty vessel.
"

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:29 am

"I suppose that the other gnome would know best then... at least as far as any gnomish traditions."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Syli steps into HQ, giving a curt nod to their new shopkeeper if she sees him. Pulling the pouch off her belt, she finds an empty countertop to offload the jewelry and silverware on. "Okay, here's hoping something good came out of all this..." She turns to the spoils and starts attempting to evaluate them.

Syli Evaluation Rolls... [rolls]
...Arcana (+3): 6
...Nature (+3): 18
...Insight (+3): 7

...however, she's distracted by the appearance of a rat on the countertop, which sniffs around the jewelry a bit before looking up at Syli with big puppy-dog eyes. "And what are you after?"

((I threw an Insight check in there because I figure that might be as close to Appraisal as we might get. With a 7, it doesn't really matter much anyway))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 pm

(It seems like straight INT checks are enough for appraisal, but I'll take various knowledge checks or proficency bonuses on top of that if you can justify it (e.g. Kal could add prof when examining woodworkings, darruk for stonework etc. If you can justify it, I'll probably let you try :) I'll get you guys an update shortly)