May 16th, 2017 - I gotcha.

Discuss the comic here!
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: May 16th, 2017 - I gotcha.

Post by RocketScientist » Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am

Morgaln wrote:This is throwing me off a bit; I don't have a problem with not having seen every item identified by the wall. But one would think that the page that showed various items and their effects would have focused on those that will be plot relevant and survive the explosion. Yet this is the fourth item now that hasn't been on that page but must have come from the wall, while apparently nine items out of eleven that we saw didn't make it through the explosion.
Storytelling-wise, that's not very economic; it uses exposition time on things that aren't plot relevant while later forcing more exposition to explain the items that do have some importance.
It does seem an odd choice. Maybe he was trying to showcase some G:AR magic items? That doesn't make it any less odd, mind you.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

I would assume it's more of a plot reveal kind of thing. Like telling us what this cloak did would maybe spoil the cool factor of seeing it in action? He does put thought into these things, so I would assume there's a reason for it.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

ForgetsOldName
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TwoCoo

Post by ForgetsOldName » Thu May 18, 2017 10:48 am

Maybe it's not all that important.

Some of the wall items were all but worthless...except in a very particular situation where they were potentially insanely powerful. For example, give someone a +8 pike out of the goodness of your heart, and arrange to be out of town when an army of overpowered undead with an attitude problem show up. For the nonce, these are just moderately advantageous items.
The old name was Twocoo. The avatar is the scariest thing in Wizardry I, circa 1981.

Shardstorm
Of Few Words

Post by Shardstorm » Thu May 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Krulle wrote:I already linked the tweet further above, just like Shardstorm did even before me.

Not as obvious as I did now... ;)
Yeah, I don't know how to be as good on the forums as you =P But quoting your post and looking at it taught me enough for next time I think.

It doesn't bother me that not everything was revealed. I know my players would try and sit there and do every item they owned or found, and I know that I'd try to introduce a time element to stop them and make them pick what's important. MM overloaded that by slamming everything through, but because of that some info was missed. I just see that comic as a depiction of that, and our lack of knowledge as an extension.
- ANZ based gamer and reader.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 am

Don't worry about your forum-fu.
I got mine because phpBB boards are my main social online interactivity....

I also agree with you. The page clearly shows an information overload.
It would've been nice to immidiately see stuff which did not get identified, but as GM I would've been disappointed if my group would've even catched all of that information I threw at them in sooo short a time.

And the identified ones are mostly sophisticated adventuring tools where I would ask myself "why?".
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 am

ForgetsOldName wrote:Maybe it's not all that important.

Some of the wall items were all but worthless...except in a very particular situation where they were potentially insanely powerful. For example, give someone a +8 pike out of the goodness of your heart, and arrange to be out of town when an army of overpowered undead with an attitude problem show up. For the nonce, these are just moderately advantageous items.
Now that you mention it, that actually might be why he showed the ones he showed. "Look at all the crap items they got! Won't it be amazing if something in there is useful? ... Good thing that not-crap thing didn't get destroyed."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm

I don't understand why ears did not die and a lot of items are intact. It's like what they do have no real consequences.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Are we reading the same comic, burns? Ears may very well still die. He's at -9, after all, unable to move or act (at least if he'd stick to the rules) and a person who wants to kill them is on their tails on top of some demons who just popped into existence because of a prayer one of his group was saying, trying to get their claws on his soul. Thanks to the axe of Prissian being badly damaged and the whole realm changing. Oh, and he lost a hand.

If that's what you call no consequences... :paranoia:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 20, 2017 2:22 pm

The other characters treated it like a joke. Maybe consequences is the wrong word. It feels... really forced. Tension with no real reason (because of lol pearl). It has been this way almost the entire dungeon and its hard to think there are real consequences if the characters don't.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Sat May 20, 2017 4:03 pm

[quote="GathersIngredients"]Oh, and he lost a hand. /quote]

Wow, did not notice that. And it was the hand that was closest to the LOL pearl, too.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Yeah, it got destroyed in the explosion I think. So big ears is now potentially unable to attack if that axe is two handed (assuming it's still functional).

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun May 21, 2017 2:41 am

And the pearl is the reason they didn't finish identifying stuff.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sun May 21, 2017 4:43 am

WearsHats wrote:And the pearl is the reason they didn't finish identifying stuff.
How so? The pearl was the last item to be taken from the wall, with some delay, so everything else from the wall should have already been identified at that point. And they only found out they can identify other things through the wall after the explosion, when the pearl was long gone.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 am

I assume it's because most of the party got blown up and their priorities shifted from identifying stuff to getting a not-dead healer and getting everyone on their feet again.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun May 21, 2017 9:15 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:The other characters treated it like a joke. Maybe consequences is the wrong word. It feels... really forced. Tension with no real reason (because of lol pearl). It has been this way almost the entire dungeon and its hard to think there are real consequences if the characters don't.
Well, as far as MinMax goes... he has been to the MoM recently, where almost none of his actions have mattered at all (if you are inclined to believe the counter). Maybe he still has yet to realize that this dungeon won't reset.
Maybe it's just his general demeanour.

Thunt has been illustrating repeatedly in the past how the characters are players of a pen and paper game (e.g. see the dark elves/drows - not sure if we're allowed to use that term or if it is not monopolized - who also talked and did stuff they were not supposed to be able when they were in the negatives) and don't necessarily take what happens seriously.
But I do agree that the goblins (who are they players of their own characters now) should not be acting like that, because if their characters lose limbs/die, so do they and it's more than just a mathematical inconvenience for their future die rolls to them.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

AXIS
Of Few Words

Post by AXIS » Mon May 22, 2017 7:51 pm

You know I always preferred Thunt's colouring/shading to Morikhan's work.

I mean nothing against Morikhan, he did good stuff as well. But I prefer Thunt's own shading ability himself every time (especially the later years)

But daaaaaaaaamn.

Cheyenne is the BOMB!

He's really settling into things now, seems he's got his eye in for the Thuntonian world.

Killer stuff, really really killer.

Definente Cheyenne fanboy now.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue May 23, 2017 7:01 am

Thunt's later work was based on the stuff Morikhan did though...

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Tue May 23, 2017 9:08 am

Hmmm and here i thought he poured that levitation potion on a cape but it seems its something else. Anyway I thought of something. Goblins are typically mostly static in what they are in this world and the teller ceremony starts to kill at 2 with almost no deaths at 1. But lets consider a few things. First off they have classes even if fumbles is a mishmash of classes instead of a solid one. Plus they all leveled up so they are also stronger. In a sense they are some of the strongest goblins even likely.

Also add in the fact that they are using magical items which the former teller said when expecting the adventurers. Such as we can't lock up the chest or use the magical items just because it "makes sense". Which means they don't use magical items really for well anything in my mind. So if you take into consideration the levels the class benifits and magical items it shouldn't be to hard for fumbles at this point. Now that being said not enough for indefinite imprints but still.

or i could be thinking to much into it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 23, 2017 9:28 am

I disagree that they're static - the viper clan goblins were considerably tougher than the cryptic falls guys (though it's never really been explained why... Better leaders I guess?). I do think Fumbles is the dark horse of the party though and I'm excited to see what he does with his badassery. He's definitely switched from carefree comic relief to a far more serious character at heart, and I think he's going to be very interesting.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 am

The cryptic fall clan isn't even static. They were a lot stronger under Kills a Werebear. That at the very least means that their challenge rating has changed. It also probably means that the goblins during Kills' time were probably a higher level. Not because of adventuring, mind you, but because of better training, tactics and maybe even weapons (because the warcamp was happy to buy crap from some orc during chief's reign).
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Wed May 24, 2017 10:16 am

but goblin slayer said something like how thaco had more health than any goblin in the realm during their fight wondering if he had potions etc so they have to be noticeably stronger if someone whose namesake says that they are able to take more abuse than other goblins ever have it means it is a noticeable increase. the level ups and classes have to be a huge thing vs a goblin. also the only other amped up goblin i can think of was fox who took adventuring levels. and the guy who had the hots for her, one of their best goblins, was surprised by how strong she was etc. just my thoughts.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 am

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:39 am

Holy crap, the last two panels *are* Fumbles!

I'm assuming that his, umm... recently acquired pain tolerance will let him be very effective wearing the pain cloak.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed May 24, 2017 11:41 am

But this is not the pain cloak, as a reminder....
► Show Spoiler

new permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/05172017-2/
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 24, 2017 12:32 pm

It's interesting that the flame colours are different between the comic and the card. I wonder if this is our first glimpse of fumbles' IME