Twitter: [now] new colourist, again.

Discuss the comic here!
Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter: [now] Goblins change forever

Post by Krulle » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:22 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I just realized that a gay character in the next page just happens to make THIS speech and I teared up. #Orlando
Sounds like, despite the hashtag, that the group is discussing Kore.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:37 am

Deep words and never truer, nor more in need of a voice.
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:43 am

Krulle wrote:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I just realized that a gay character in the next page just happens to make THIS speech and I teared up. #Orlando
Sounds like, despite the hashtag, that the group is discussing Kore.
But I can bet events more recent than the comic's writing influenced it, namely Thunt's experience of Twitter mobs

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:54 am

Seriously? That's shameless.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:38 am

Guus wrote:Seriously? That's shameless.
The panel was written before the events in Orlando. Thunt has had a shorter version pegged to the top of his Twitter feed for quite a while. The timing is coincidence. Thunt is only posting now that on re-reading the page he was shaken to discover how very close to home it hit, especially with Ears being gay.

...and I don't know why Ears being gay makes a difference. Logically it shouldn't - his sexual orientation has had no bearing on the events of the comic, and Thunt has said that it never will. I suppose it's still an important thing Thunt knows about the character, and a creator's relationship with a character is more multi-valued and emotionally complicated than ever shows up in the finished work.
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:14 pm

Oh, I don't think that he wrote this for the shooting. I just think it has no place in the whole Orlando tragedy. Especially because the only connection is the fact that BE is gay, which was supposed to be no big deal. There is also not enough information about the shooting to connect it to something broad like "evil". Plugging it under the Orlando hashtag is misplaced in my opinion, and downright tasteless.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Guus, that's a damn cynical outlook you've got there. Does it occur to you that he might be doing it out of solidarity, rather than self-promotion? Why go straight to assuming the worst possible interpretation?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:12 pm

Because he tweeted about other things for attention?

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:48 am

I don't think he's doing it for self promotion. I just think it has no place in the whole tragedy at all because it barely has anything to do with the shooting in itself, and to get involved in a discussion/comment on a tragedy by sharing or mentioning something that barely has to do with the situation at hand is tasteless.

My (now ex)-girlfriend tried to show solidarity to me when my grandparents died within three weeks of eachother. She said: "I know how you feel, I felt the same when my grandmother's dog died". She meant well, but it was only a little related and it was very insulting, even though she tried to make me feel better. So yeah, I feel like he's doing kind of the same thing. I realize he does it out of a sense of solidarity, but I think he's doing it very wrong.

You're probably right about me being cynical though, but I don't think it applies to my opinion on this particular situation. I don't know where I gave off the vibe that I thought he did it for self promotion?

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:22 pm

Guus wrote:I don't know where I gave off the vibe that I thought he did it for self promotion?
Here:
Guus wrote:Seriously? That's shameless.
Shameless means immodest, or lacking humility.
Guus wrote:Plugging it under the Orlando hashtag is misplaced in my opinion, and downright tasteless.
I took "plugging" to mean promoting. Did you mean something else? Maybe we're just having a communication problem?

As for its relevance, I'm pretty comfortable categorizing someone who murders 49 people as evil, no matter what the details are. I don't believe in gods or the supernatural; mass murder is about as evil as it gets, IMO. A gay character talking about taking a stand against evil seems pretty relevant to me. It's not that the specific plot line is relevant. It isn't. It's that the theme is relevant.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:16 pm

I didn't mean to say that he was promoting himself. I looked up the definitions of plugging, and it meant something else than I thought it did, my apologies.

Of course a gunman that shoots down innocents is evil. I'm not contesting that. However, what BE says in that one panel is for the upcoming page, is some broad blanket statement about evil, that might very well be completely wrong in the context of the shooting. It assumes too much and is only relevant because he talks about evil and happens to be a gay character, which is supposedly only a trait for BE that is not a big deal (if I remember correctly). However, now something happens to people that happen to be gay, and now Hunt puts the character on twitter under the hashtag Orlando, which is used for direct remarks about the shooting. A fictional character, making a sweeping statement about evil, in a situation where people are still in the dark why it happened exactly, and placing it in the public and by doing that implying that it has any bearing to the situation. I think that's rather shameless, and Hunt would've been wiser to (once again) not post something. Simple condolences would've been decent, taking part in the discussion might've been good (probably not), but this, to me, is absolutely not good.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:22 pm

OK.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter: [now] Pok├®mon GO photo comic

Post by Krulle » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:03 pm

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I made a little #PokemonGO comic.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Re: Twitter: [now] How it all ends!

Post by Sessine » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:56 pm

Okay, so no-one else has posted this exchange. Someone had to do it, might as well be me!
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:40 pm

So this just occurred to me. Does Kin remember getting the birthday mice? And the poorly spelled banner?

Thanks for posting that, Sessine.

Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Glemp » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:52 am

RocketScientist wrote:So this just occurred to me. Does Kin remember getting the birthday mice? And the poorly spelled banner?
She does, but she doesn't know why that made her trust MM so much. The universe isn't very good at cleaning up after Oblivion Holes - it papers over the memories to try and get rid of the paradox of, say, a beard having suddenly never existed, but it can't rewrite events or personalities that changed because of the now missing item. It's like when the Silence from Dr. Who turn up - they vanish from your memory, but the mark on your arm didn't.

Tofu
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: Tofu

Post by Tofu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:30 pm

Anyone know how Tarol is? Last few posts on twitter had one remarking on his regular doctor being unavailable. Hope all is OK. Also, I'm mildly concerned at the lack of a post yesterday... Just putting it out the there.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:19 am

If the Goblins community wanted to show support for the new colourist, Cheyenne Wright after a house fire where his comics and games were damaged...
ÔÇÅ@Thunt_Goblins wrote: So the Goblins colourist has had a house fire. His comics & board games are water damaged. Here's an address to send new comics/games to. https://twitter.com/i/web/status/821774200335515648
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Re: Twitter: [now] nwe colourists' house got damaged in a fi

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Gsviv rh z SFTV Tlyormh kiltvxg xlnrmt! Hl nfxs evib uznlfh gzovmg rmelew! Gsrh gdvvg droo hvou wrhgifxg.
For those unfamiliar with ciphers: atbash

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter: [now] nwe colourists' house got damaged in a fi

Post by Krulle » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks, alas the tweet already self-destructed......

I wonder what kind of project he means?

Guest comics during his holidays?

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Re: Twitter: [now] Old Notebook sketches

Post by Krulle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote: Danielle just found the sketch pad where I drew my very first concept sketchs for Goblins. These are the first goblins I ever drew.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:This is my 2nd attempt. And this was where I decided to give them willowed eyes (when they darken).
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Here is the very first time I ever drew Chief and Y and B! Check out Chief's toenails.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:The very first time I ever drew Complains and Fumbles. Complains was to look like a bumblebee & Chief would look like a turtle.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:Here are the first sketches of the scared paladin from the beginning of the comic. I didn't want him to look *too* good guy ish.
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:
@Brefin wrote:@Thunt_Goblins I love that they are recognizable as Goblins.
For those initial sketches, I took them straight from the 3rd edition Monster Manual and made 'em a bit more cartoony.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Krulle wrote:
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:
@Brefin wrote:@Thunt_Goblins I love that they are recognizable as Goblins.
For those initial sketches, I took them straight from the 3rd edition Monster Manual and made 'em a bit more cartoony.
They look nothing like 3rd edition D&D Goblins. Not one similarity at all, so why both saying that?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:51 pm

Xavier78 wrote:They look nothing like 3rd edition D&D Goblins. Not one similarity at all, so why both saying that?
Sorry it has you so upset, but probably because he's describing the process of how he did the thing. I see more similarities in the early sketches to the 3rd edition D&D goblins (provided the below image is the correct edition) than to other incarnations or to goblins in other properties. Wide mouth, nose slits rather than a proper nose, limbs are wiry and a bit lanky.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:29 am

@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I live streamed yesterday for like, 1 nano second and after a tiny bit of talkingImage, last night/this morning, my face is all...
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:I was gonna post the gif of that nazi's face melting off in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I figured that was a bit too gross. :p
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote:So obviously, there's no update this Monday.
ImageImageImageImage

What would you guys like to see instead? Sketches of something crazy? Background info?...
@[color=red]Thunt[/color]_Goblins wrote: Map of a location? Magic items? How do draw some of the characters? Let me know.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:20 pm

I'd like to see a layout of Brassmoon city, that'd be pretty cool.