Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: RndomGy519

April 12, 2016: How?

Post by Rndom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:10 pm

Permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04122016-2/

This is the panel that changes the comic forever:

oohhhbooyyy.

edit: shaded permalink: http://www.goblinscomic.org/04132016-2/
Last edited by Rndom on Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Re: April 12, 2016: How?

Post by Liesmith » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 pm

I'm not sure what's worse...the fact that the Axe broke, or that a piece hit Complains.
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: valstoy

Post by vals_toy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 pm

After steeling myself for yet another heart-wrenching death scene, this absolutely floored me. Reality just hit the fan.

Edit: Here is the link to the first Axe of Prissan update.

http://www.goblinscomic.com/08122007/
Last edited by vals_toy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knows little
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Knows little » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:17 pm

Yeah it's gotten worse, let see first kore, then these guys and now the demon has been released this is where a sudden jump to the saves and dies group would be the worst time to switch

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:18 pm

oh #%@%# all i can think is someone thought that those demons were copies of the gap and minmax. The one big ears attacked i think was his opposite. while it was a demon it might have been part pally as well due to the perceived double aspect. what is the demon and pally did this?

Probably wrong but just a thought.

So many worries happening here. Kore is following. the ax broke (((went back to re read what its history was))) maybe its time with big ears wasn't enough to strengthen it enough after all that time with goblin slayers buddy. Just.....

although I am curious if this place really does make doubles will it make one of anything that comes out of the ax that will inherintly want to attack it?

edit: ok i was wrong. realized it was fumbles double he attacked.
Last edited by miados on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:27 pm

No, I agree, I believe the demons are mirror universe maze-of-many-esque versions of our heroes. Hitting one when, in their eyes, they're "good" (kinda) means performing an evil act (striking an innocent) = boom goes the axe.

Either that, or the prison was too weakened from Saral Caine to begin with.

I hate to say it but this seems too... contrived and out of nowhere. We have no warning that the axe is about to go explodey. There should have been a "Hey guys? I think the axe is going insane..." moment from Ears before the big explosion. At least a warning that something was incoming should have happened first.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:31 pm

Meh. It broke for no real reason asides to kill characters. It shouldnt have broken for hitting a demon. An evil user had the axe and it did not break, a mistake should not have made it shatter.

At least that supports my 'ears is going to die theory'

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by vals_toy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:37 pm

The sudden, out-of-nowhere +1 to Complains' sword is the key to understanding this. Is that still the same one from the poorly locked treasure chest? If so, why does it look different? If not, where'd he get it? That random +1 is the only indication anyone is given that something is going wonky before the Axe breaks; that CANNOT be a coincidence.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 pm

The sword Complains now has, he got "off camera", or so Thunt said in one of his streams, I believe.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Hmm, this page looked a lot different in pencils. I guessed wrong.

But the Axe breaks if used for an evil act. So... Either these creatures are innocent, and attacking one is evil, or Kore, still being a paladin, counts as Good aligned. Using the axe against him might have been evil, and this is (I think) the first time it's hit something since then.

I do think Kore and the Axe have some history, besides him having gotten the instant download on contact. The demon's release should, theoretically, keep him busy for a while, presuming he catches up soon.

One closing observation: There was an incident with the Axe. Ears didn't mean to break it. It was an axident.

Oh, as a reminder: Thunt and Danielle leave on vacation (their first non-working trip since they got married) in a few days, and they'll be gone for two weeks. So there's plenty of time to speculate before the next page goes up.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by vals_toy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:59 pm

I just checked the archives, and Complains' sword is from the vine snare room, just before the yum-yuck chamber. Thaco picked it up for a moment to test the properties of his new blindfold.

I'm starting to have a sneaking suspicion that there is FAR more to this dungeon than meets the eye. The entrance chamber, where the last person to speak is keyed to the Door Golem; what appear to be bizarro opposites of the GAP and MinMax; Fumbles' staff destroying the vines holding him and MM; and now a second weapon found in the Dragon's Maw is acting strangely.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Edit

When Complains asked Ears to detect evil on the GAPpelgangers, it seemed like Ears figured they'd be outside of his detection range. But when he tried, the sheer amount of evil made him physically ill. And then he sunk the Axe of Prissan into a being exuding that level of wickedness. I think that's what did it. No idea on specifics, though.
Last edited by vals_toy on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CocoaNutCakery
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by CocoaNutCakery » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:08 pm

It's pretty obvious to me that what happened is Big Ears hit Complains' mirror self (Big Ears' mirror self is the short, green one, btw). When he did, he ended up hurting Complains because it was Complains' mirror. As the axe interpreted this as attacking a treasured companion (a wholly evil act) and the axe was very close to breaking due to its time with Saral Caine, it finished off the seal on the axe.
I have a YouTube channel where I post TF2 videos. You can check it out if you like.

vals_toy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by vals_toy » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 pm

CocoaNutCakery wrote:It's pretty obvious to me that what happened is Big Ears hit Complains' mirror self......When he did, he ended up hurting Complains because it was Complains' mirror. As the axe interpreted this as attacking a treasured companion (a wholly evil act) and the axe was very close to breaking due to its time with Saral Caine, it finished off the seal on the axe.
Oh my Herbert. That fits. I wish it didn't, but that fits.
:shock:

gharp
Remains Silent

Post by gharp » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:00 pm

CocoaNutCakery wrote:It's pretty obvious to me that what happened is Big Ears hit Complains' mirror self (Big Ears' mirror self is the short, green one, btw). When he did, he ended up hurting Complains because it was Complains' mirror.
Wouldn't Complain's mirror be the red one with the sword? I assumed the yellow one with the staff was Fumble's mirror, and Complain's was only hurt due to the axe shard embedded in his leg...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the axe hitting yellow mirror's staff? The staff is a mirror of Fumble's staff (spear?), and it's already had an odd effect in the dungeon with the vines...

seriouszombie
Remains Silent

Post by seriouszombie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:08 pm

vals_toy wrote:The sudden, out-of-nowhere +1 to Complains' sword is the key to understanding this. Is that still the same one from the poorly locked treasure chest? If so, why does it look different? If not, where'd he get it? That random +1 is the only indication anyone is given that something is going wonky before the Axe breaks; that CANNOT be a coincidence.
I saw a lot of people confused or wondering about Complains' sword and its enchantment. I forget why I think this, but I'm 90% sure that his sword gains a +1 each time the user jumps and/or lands in a tumble. Thunt said something about it being a very strong weapon if charged high enough. I *think* this was all explained in a livestream or tweet back when they found the sword (in the rope room). As for why Complains was confused about the sword I think that's Thunt trying to show that Complains has to learn how the sword works, he doesn't just KNOW what it does.

EDIT: Also it seems for now that Big Ears' armor isn't gonna disappear. That would be kinda cool since it looks so well on him.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:32 pm

CocoaNutCakery wrote:It's pretty obvious to me that what happened is Big Ears hit Complains' mirror self (Big Ears' mirror self is the short, green one, btw). When he did, he ended up hurting Complains because it was Complains' mirror. As the axe interpreted this as attacking a treasured companion (a wholly evil act) and the axe was very close to breaking due to its time with Saral Caine, it finished off the seal on the axe.
That was my interpretation when I saw the penciled version. But seeing it in color, it looks more like Complains was hurt when the Axe exploded. He was knocked around by the blast, then injured when a fragment of the Axe lodged itself in his leg.

Also, as someone pointed out on FB, the trouble with the Axe started earlier. Ears hurt Minmax, and then lied about it, with a rather evil grin:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/08242015-2/

Then, on the next page, the Axe wouldn't cut the vines:

http://www.goblinscomic.org/09062015-2/

As for the armor... It comes from the Axe. Which is currently cracked, but not yet fully broken. I think that's coming soon, and I expect the armor will go then.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:45 pm

The Demons are "good", and the Goblin party is evil.
That is my first interpretation.

So Minmax was right seeing only XP in these monsters.

This comic is about how humans see everyone else as humans too, when they're in fact not human.

;)

Or BE has done sufficiently good to have killed the imprisoned Demon for good, thus destroying the Axe, as it will not be needed anymore.

I do not know what to make of this page yet.
But I do wish Danielle and Thunt a wonderful trip!
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

miados
Of Few Words

Post by miados » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 pm

just something I just noticed doing some look backs

http://www.goblinscomic.org/03132016-2/

If you look at the green one he is wielding an ax..... the ax is cracked..... cracked to the point where one hit might ruin it depending on how/who/what it hits

also I just realized the one ears hit was the mirror version of fumbles. not sure if it matters but....

Rhe
Remains Silent

Post by Rhe » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:12 am

Registered just to post!

Something I just thought of. The axe of Prussian update states that as it weakens, it begins to radiate and increasing sense of evil, in the hopes that it will attract a stronger paladin.

As far as we know, Kore is still a 'good' paladin (ie he has not 'fallen'). Perhaps he has been chasing them this hard because he detects the evil of the axe and has wrongly attributed it to them?

And on a similar note, when Big Ears does his Detect Evil on the demons and comments that they are "so evil", perhaps he was also detecting the axe itself (which was at breaking point) rather than the demons.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:15 am

Whelp, it's not like BE was doing good deeds, and the prison weakens when it's not fueled with good deeds. It's not that you only need to do no evil, you need to actively do good. Still, for the axe to break like this is kind of surprising.

If the "hit by proxy" thing is what is happening I am going to be frustrated. That'd be the most meta bullshit ever. I'd walk away from the session if the DM would pull me a fast one like that.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

SpeaksManyLanguages
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron
UStream Username: dbg_

Post by SpeaksManyLanguages » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:28 am

Look closely on the middle frame. The green creature's axe is also cracked. So probably the explanation is: these creatures' weapons copy party's weapons magic properties. So yes, that staff was probably a copy of the Fumble's staff with a "destroy magic items" special. That's why hitting it like that cracked the axe.

I don't think it had anything to do with evil acts. Mryorg did many more evil acts with it.

Since reading the page, I have the intro song from Friends stuck in my head.
"So you never though that life was gonna be this way..."
(new friend incoming!)

Re: Aegis J Hyena
Thaco picked that sword up in the vines room. Complains took it from him. It wasn't off camera. However, it wasn't explained why Complains decided to run with this sword and just abandon his old +1. Outside of "they've all had to rush forward".

The sword is called a "Tumble sword". It has 12 marks, each highlights when the bearer performs a tumble. Thunt didn't say specifically, but so far one highlighted mark is +1 and the rule looks to be N of highlighted marks = +N enchantment. Thunt didn't talk about the rules of marks fading back.

Re: CocoaNutCakery's theory
No, it doesn't really fit. Fumbles was hurt by Complain's double last page and the wound wasn't mirrored to the Fumbles' double. Complains is only hurt on this page because he was standing nearby and a piece of the Axe shrapnelled into him. You see him on the explosion panel actually.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 am

Well this is the last thing that I expected. I don't think anybody called this one.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 am

If a staff that disrupts magic is enough to destroy the axe of prissan then the Paladins gave their lives for a very sucky construction. Also: aren't paladin powers divine and not magical? Or doesn't it work like that in 3.5?
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

CocoaNutCakery
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by CocoaNutCakery » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:29 am

gharp wrote:
CocoaNutCakery wrote:It's pretty obvious to me that what happened is Big Ears hit Complains' mirror self (Big Ears' mirror self is the short, green one, btw). When he did, he ended up hurting Complains because it was Complains' mirror.
Wouldn't Complain's mirror be the red one with the sword? I assumed the yellow one with the staff was Fumble's mirror, and Complain's was only hurt due to the axe shard embedded in his leg...

I wonder if it has anything to do with the axe hitting yellow mirror's staff? The staff is a mirror of Fumble's staff (spear?), and it's already had an odd effect in the dungeon with the vines...
You are indeed correct about that. My bad.

I have to agree with other commenters here in that the axe should not be as flimsy as to be destroyed by a random magic item. I still think it has something to do with attacking the mirror, rather than the staff. Or, rather, it wouldn't be the staff by itself (instead being a combination of the staff and the mirror).

(Edit: As WearsHats pointed out, the axe has been weakening. It's not just what he pointed out, however. Remember that Big Ears also attacked Kore from behind and didn't help Forgath against him, which could be seen as not entirely selfless.

I also think WearsHats might be correct about Kore having a history with the axe.)
SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:No, it doesn't really fit. Fumbles was hurt by Complain's double last page and the wound wasn't mirrored to the Fumbles' double. Complains is only hurt on this page because he was standing nearby and a piece of the Axe shrapnelled into him. You see him on the explosion panel actually.
That would just mean that it's not reciprocal. Given the fact that Thaco and Minmax weren't injured when they injured their own, it would be possible that it doesn't apply to your own. IE Big Ears would have to fight his own mirror. Granted, this was something that I suspected would be the case as the "catch" to the battle when it was first joined, and I'm thinking now that it doesn't apply. My point is more that your argument isn't necessarily valid proof against my suspicion.
SpeaksManyLanguages wrote:Look closely on the middle frame. The green creature's axe is also cracked.
So here's a question: What's trapped inside Green Ears' axe?

Edit: Oh. It was always cracked. Thank you for pointing that out, miados.
I have a YouTube channel where I post TF2 videos. You can check it out if you like.

someone
Whispers Softly

Post by someone » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:52 am

Maybe it has something to do with the door golem returning the axe to minmax ( http://www.goblinscomic.org/02172016-2/ ) ?