2016-March-12: SO Evil

Discuss the comic here!
Glemp
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

2016-March-12: SO Evil

Post by Glemp » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Right here!
DAMMIT! The "well" in the 1st panel is messed up. GRRRR! I'll have it fixed up soon.
-Thunt
Last edited by Glemp on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Re: 2016-March-12: SO Evil

Post by Kamos » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Heh like the reference to the 4chan(?) comic.
ImageImage Feed the beast please.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:10 pm

:rofl:

Also, Ears's "so evil" face is awesome.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm sad that goblins always feel sad :(

Honestly, the one time I players a goblin I players one that carried a coffin with the ashes of his late family members. Our goblins weren't sad though, they loved risky undertakings that could get them killed. Everything from explosives to challenging high level paladins, the more danger the more interesting.

I like how THunt makes fun of his own story every now and again.
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

Achaedus
Remains Silent

Post by Achaedus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Just felt like asking if anybody else has noted the similarities between this group of baddies and the goblins + minmax. To the point that I'm thinking they're intended as an exact opposite type bit.

Minmax = Big blue bugger with arm that looks like its melded with a sword
Big Ears = Little green guy with big 'horns' that just happens to be wielding an axe (or a tomahawk... hey Ashton, c'mere...)
Names = Red guy with claws and another sword
Thaco = Monk-looking Gray-Black thingie

And before anybody says anything about Vorpal not being included in this list, it could be that the dungeon is maybe offering editorial commentary on Vorpal's contribution to the party...

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:10 pm

Or maybe Vorpal is incomparable?

Achaedus
Remains Silent

Post by Achaedus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:15 pm

I ain't saying one way or t'other. I was amused in the previous strip when he pointed out that Kore must have been talking to himself.

'Twas the first thing that came to my mind as well.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:49 pm

These guys each have their own color scheme, they're wearing tights, and there's four of them. I give it even odds they Voltron together into a supermonster.

Their colors also match the colors of some of the doors, so this might only be half of them. [And if that many of them combine, we'd be nearing Vehicle Voltron territory, and nobody likes Vehicle Voltron.]

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:31 am

They might just be another adventuring party stuck there.
The door is locked, and they're discussing where the key might be...
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

Someguy
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Someguy » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:06 am

jbrecken wrote:These guys each have their own color scheme, they're wearing tights, and there's four of them. I give it even odds they Voltron together into a supermonster.

Their colors also match the colors of some of the doors, so this might only be half of them. [And if that many of them combine, we'd be nearing Vehicle Voltron territory, and nobody likes Vehicle Voltron.]
Ridiculous. Given that they're likely to be evil counterparts in a team, they're Psycho Rangers.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:28 am

Anyone else notice the apparent fountain looks like one of the Kloks somewhat? At least, by what you can see in the panel featuring the four baddies?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:50 am

I don't know why, but these guys seem really familiar to me. Is there anything from Thunt's work that is similar to them?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:07 am

The Jelloh Golems from The Merchandisables?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:35 am

SamWiser wrote:I don't know why, but these guys seem really familiar to me. Is there anything from Thunt's work that is similar to them?
The demons from the final room where Dies and Fox got the Orb of Bloodlight. I noticed it and they're who I thought of, anyway.

(Edit: I return with a link...originally didn't feel like trawling the archives but it's one of the "start of chapter" ones so I found it with a brief lookit: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10112011/)

Ekodus
Remains Silent

Post by Ekodus » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:40 am

Achaedus wrote:Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Just felt like asking if anybody else has noted the similarities between this group of baddies and the goblins + minmax. To the point that I'm thinking they're intended as an exact opposite type bit.
► Show Spoiler
Long-time reader and first-time poster, too. I thought I would be the first to point this out, but I guess I'm too late :)

Anyways, what about Kore? Could he have his own altered version like everyone else? The white-yellow entity (I don't think it's a fountain) has the representing colors of good and light, so we could think that these versions may be opposites instead of evil. It's a bit short to be Kores version, but maybe it's not standing up or is being bullied by the rest since hes a goodie.
Also, Names version has only 3 fingers. This could be a hint even tho others don't have hands so we could notice.

I found it strange why the baddies wield their weapons/bladed-arm in their oposite hand, exept Evil Big Ears. Turns out that Big Ears fights well with both hands as we can see in the Thornback Clan chapter. I think Minmax-baddie is proficient with both hands too, but we can't see his other arm. Could i be overthinking this one?

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:41 am

I'm going to wait for the shaded version before jumping to any conclusions, particularly since Thunt already said the "well" needs to be redrawn.

But.

...Isn't there something really odd about their mouths? Or, I should say, the parts of their faces that would be mouths if they had any, but right now, pre-shading, look like flat drums or masks, or something. If they're demons (white glowing eyes, no mouths, SO Evil!), then then that explains the family resemblance to the demons Dies and Saves met. Except they're much less detailed.
Last edited by Sessine on Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:44 pm

nikohl wrote:
SamWiser wrote:I don't know why, but these guys seem really familiar to me. Is there anything from Thunt's work that is similar to them?
The demons from the final room where Dies and Fox got the Orb of Bloodlight. I noticed it and they're who I thought of, anyway.

(Edit: I return with a link...originally didn't feel like trawling the archives but it's one of the "start of chapter" ones so I found it with a brief lookit: http://www.goblinscomic.org/10112011/)
That's probably it. Thank you!
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:14 pm

the "I'm sad" line was pure win. :D :thumbsup: :lol:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

illocust
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by illocust » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:05 pm

Achaedus wrote:Long-time reader, first-time poster.

Minmax = Big blue bugger with arm that looks like its melded with a sword
Big Ears = Little green guy with big 'horns' that just happens to be wielding an axe (or a tomahawk... hey Ashton, c'mere...)
Names = Red guy with claws and another sword
Thaco = Monk-looking Gray-Black thingie

And before anybody says anything about Vorpal not being included in this list, it could be that the dungeon is maybe offering editorial commentary on Vorpal's contribution to the party...
There looks to be the head of a yellow one in the bottom left corner of panel one. That could be the one representing Vorpal.

Xavier78
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Xavier78 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:30 pm

GathersIngredients wrote:the "I'm sad" line was pure win. :D :thumbsup: :lol:
How so? I don't get it, nor does it feel like it fits, at all...

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Xavier78 wrote:
GathersIngredients wrote:the "I'm sad" line was pure win. :D :thumbsup: :lol:
How so? I don't get it, nor does it feel like it fits, at all...
This troll comic apparently makes Thunt laugh every time he remembers it. The 4chan comic is making fun of the tendency of Goblins characters to get into sad-making situations. No, I don't really get it either, but the point is, Thunt finds it hilarious. A couple of years ago, some fans got together to mail him a bunch of April Fools postcards, each being some variation on "I'm sad." Reports were that he "laughed his ass off."

So those two words are a very meta in-joke - Minmax is apparently mocking goblins for being cowardly and drama-prone, but it's also Thunt having a little joke at the expense of his own comic, Goblins.

True, they aren't engaging in drama at the moment. They're focusing on purely practical ways to sneak past the ...maybe-demons? Still, Minmax did witness Complains being all sad and guilt-ridden not all that long ago, and it makes a Minmax-sort-of-sense that once he'd started taunting them for not having the courage to engage in the fight, he'd use that knowledge to add in an extra taunt aimed at Names here.
► Show Spoiler

Talos
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by Talos » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Well, at least Ears had the sense to put the armor back on.

Rndom
Mumbles Incoherently
UStream Username: RndomGy519

Post by Rndom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:48 am

Talos wrote:Well, at least Ears had the sense to put the armor back on.
Speaking of his armor, in the sixth panel, how come it looks like the yellow is dull/not glowing? A reaction to the "Evilness"?

Syonique
Remains Silent

Post by Syonique » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:54 pm

Another long-time reader making an account just so I can get a word in here :)

I'm guessing less 'evil duplicates' and more of 'seeing reflection in a twisted mirror'. Aside from spot-on evidence others have pointed out earlier (such as the the yellow Vorpal 'duplicate' visible in the bottom-left corner of first panel), note the cloven hooves of the red 'Names' duplicate, and the wrapping (bracer) around the right forearm (a distinctive point for Names at least). Also, in panel 2 you can see Names is holding the door with his right hand, while his sword is held in his left - and his red 'duplicate' also holds blade in left hand.

Most importantly, however, note that two goblins are talking: one off-panel (going to hypothesize Ears) with a short "Well?"
followed by Names saying a three-line speech bubble (one medium-length line, one long-length line, one medium-length line).

At the same time, the duplicates have the green 'Ears' saying a short line of text
followed by red 'Names' saying a three-line speech bubble (one medium-length line, one long-length line, one medium-length line).

The duplicates are just talking because the goblins are just talking. Once Minmax gets the ball rolling, the big blue 'duplicate' will probably lead the charge as well.

(I'm assuming Ears's armor not glowing is due to an attempt at stealth. Not that it's easy to sneak around in full plate but thereyago)

Ekodus
Remains Silent

Post by Ekodus » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:34 am

Clever points!
We can pretty much confirm that they are duplicates already. Evil Names is even more 'Names' than I had noticed.
I also agree that speech bubbles are being mimicked as well, but only if the two first pannels are happening at the same time. It's possible.