08 January 2016: Under the Moss

Discuss the comic here!
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: 08 January 2016: Under the Moss

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:26 pm

Sorry, i meant somehow cursing maked a sourse of dark energy which demons probably eat. Makes about the same amount of sense. It does not make sense that dark power only comes from a few words but not from horrendus actions like killing innocents.

Morgaln
Likes to Contribute

Post by Morgaln » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:27 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:
Morgaln wrote:Quote from the blog (emphasis mine): " This language is so old, so drenched in nightmarish horror, that simply hearing a demon speak it, can cause mortals to go insane or become evil"
So I misread "hearing" as "speaks", and I'm very sorry for that. But still, Thunt is invoking Lovecraftian themes with this detail and you're still only showing your own weakness by not understanding that. Also, thank you for giving up on the rest of your points.
Arch Lich Burns wrote:....Seriously that is your argument? To put words in others mouths to get your point across? You did not explain why you think he is wrong, just quote mining and false quotes. You did not even go to the root of the problem why cursing is somehow bad, yet killing and raping somehow isn't. One would think demons would feed better on actions instead of some curse words, after all the actions bring the most suffering, but instead it is relatively harmless words that somehow give them power, and hearing or saying them somehow makes you a worse person than one whom kills innocents.
I really don't get how what I did is putting words in another person's mouth. The bolded text was a comedic touch founded on how I perceived his critzisms and I even made it clear the first time that I was adding the bolded text; a better complaint would be that it was a bad joke. And for quote mining, I fail to see how that's automatically bad. As you can see in that very exchange, these arguements can get over-sized and trimming quotes down to the essentials helps to at least subdue the effect, which I didn't even do to the fullest. And then you go ahead and dream up your own misunderstanding, as if it was ever stated that demons feed on words. Did you even read the blog post?
I am not giving up on my points. What I'm doing is refusing to keep explaining them to someone who doesn't reply to the actual points I'm making and instead insults me for making them.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:42 pm

I really don't get how what I did is putting words in another person's mouth. The bolded text was a comedic touch founded on how I perceived his critzisms and I even made it clear the first time that I was adding the bolded text; a better complaint would be that it was a bad joke.
I looked over those posts to make sure I did not misinterpret you previously, but it is clear that you intended to change Morgaln's words to make your argument look better. Even if I give you the benefit of doubt and that it was a joke, you still cannot belittle other users on the forum no matter how much you agree or disagree with them.
Everybody, please respect others, even if you disagree.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:39 pm

Morgaln, it's strange that's your reason when you went ahead and argued the one point where I was clearly wrong. Regardless, I was probably more cruel than what's advisable with my bold-text joking. Sorry.

Arch, you're still dreaming a demonic diet never described, which is nearly as bad as your false accusation. Try that again and I'll report you.
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:03 pm

BuildsLegos wrote:Try that again and I'll report you.
Ooh, tough guy.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:47 pm

buildlegos wrote: which is nearly as bad as your false accusation. Try that again and I'll report you.
Despite evidence on the contrary to this statement. And threatning other users? That is pretty low. And not being nice to other users. I know mods don't like it when you do that. So go ahead, I am only pointing out that what you said comes off as insulting and belittling. I have nothing to fear from one whom cannot stand his opinions questioned, or critisised.

BuildsLegos
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: BuildsLegos

Post by BuildsLegos » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:06 pm

There's a big difference between belittling insults that I've already apologized for (thanks for demonstrating the bad kind of quote-mining, by the way) and
Arch Lich Burns wrote:...it is clear that you intended to change Morgaln's words to make your argument look better.
Could you please make up your mind?
The only one to pay attention to what happens in Goblins.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:37 pm

I already have. You altered his words to make your argument and to insult him. Your apology is not one about altering words, in fact you put up a farce about it being a joke which is not how you appologize.

Besides my quote mining is not any worse than what you did.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:07 am

...keeping out of this, but hey, guys, it's getting a little heated in here. I think everyone has already made all their actual points about the blog post, so let's go back to talking about the comic. Get your predictions in now -- what do you think? Are they going to go through one of those three doors?

If you were in their place, would you? Which of the three doors would you pick? How would you decide? What precautions would you take?
► Show Spoiler

BlueAmaranth
Of Few Words

Post by BlueAmaranth » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:11 am

Definitely neither one of the mouth doors. That seems like a great way to get eaten by the Door Monster while the DM laughs.

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:29 am

That leaves only the eye.
Maybe all the Doors are fakes/traps except for one? Good roll on magic detection (arcana in 4th, don't know about previous versions) and they find the actual portal. They sure could've used a mage in so many situations...
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

extrabigmehdi
Of Few Words

Post by extrabigmehdi » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:20 am

I think each door they open would damage / curse a part of their body. If they open the door with an ear they would become deaf and so on. And to progress, they'll have to choose a door that induce less damages. My idea.

jbrecken
Whispers Softly

Post by jbrecken » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:53 pm

I kind of want a life-size decal of the toothy door that I can cover my refrigerator with.

LooksClosely
Whispers Softly

Post by LooksClosely » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:10 pm

It seems like the doors are connected to the pillars. The pillars have eyes, mouths, noses, etc, and show people you've loved or the favorite place you've been or your favorite food or what you lust after etc... Maybe the portal takes you to the thing that the corresponding pillar shows??

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Sessine wrote:...keeping out of this, but hey, guys, it's getting a little heated in here. I think everyone has already made all their actual points about the blog post, so let's go back to talking about the comic. Get your predictions in now -- what do you think? Are they going to go through one of those three doors?

If you were in their place, would you? Which of the three doors would you pick? How would you decide? What precautions would you take?
I am going to disagree here, as long as the discussion is in a respectable manner, I feel like it can carry on. There is a possibility of others wanting to comment on it or bring a new light on the blog post. I feel it to be unfair to deny reasonable conversation.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:39 pm

Just checking that we're all getting along. Image

0z79
Whispers Softly

Post by 0z79 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:04 pm

*shuffles back in, timidly*

Have... have they quit throwing things? I quite liked the comic, though I unfortunately haven't had the attention span for the blog post..

I'd always wondered whether eating it faster would improve yum-yuck moss.

Sessine
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by Sessine » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:54 am

0z79 wrote:I'd always wondered whether eating it faster would improve yum-yuck moss.
Points to you, then. Perfectly logical in hindsight, but I admit I hadn't thought of it.
► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:11 pm

The doors have a spoler on twitter by showing a panel of Friday's upcoming comic.
Interesting, but spoilery, so I'll shut up.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Krulle wrote:The doors have a spoler on twitter by showing a panel of Friday's upcoming comic.
Interesting, but spoilery, so I'll shut up.
For half a second I thought you meant "The Doors" like the band. I was thinking, "Why do the doors have a panel of Goblins up on twitter? Do they even have a twitter? Do they know what Goblins is?" They I kinda realized what you were saying. I had a bit of a brain fart moment.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:29 pm

Yeah, indeed, unlucky formulation on my side....

The doors are shown in a spoiler on twitter....

But still, one if those doors may lead to The Doors.
Anyone wants to do a fan comic?
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:38 pm

Interesting idea about quickly eating the YumYuck moss, but unless the component that causes the "Yuck" is magical, you'd still have the essence of the Yumyuck moss in your mouth ready to turn foul. Little pieces of the moss still remaining in your mouth even after swallowing would also cause the yuck reaction, assuming that the bad flavor is caused by prolonged exposure to saliva.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:34 am

raaabr wrote:Interesting idea about quickly eating the YumYuck moss, but unless the component that causes the "Yuck" is magical, you'd still have the essence of the Yumyuck moss in your mouth ready to turn foul. Little pieces of the moss still remaining in your mouth even after swallowing would also cause the yuck reaction, assuming that the bad flavor is caused by prolonged exposure to saliva.

OMG, raaabr! I haven't seen you in AGES! Good to know you're still kicking. I miss playing that "impossible request for the butler" game with you.

On the moss: well, you could always try and swallow without chewing at all.
Or, if it's indeed saliva that triggers the bad taste, you could just grind it in a mortar (turning it into little bits without the saliva), so that your stomach doesn't have to do all the work...

On why no one has found the doors yet: A) how do we know no one found them before? and B) if so, that might have been because most adventurers have some sort of provisions with them, when entering a dungeon, because you don't know what/if you can find anything edible in it. So no one might have resorted to eating the moss before, under which the door "handles" were hidden.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

raaabr
Likes to Contribute

Post by raaabr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 am

GathersIngredients wrote:
OMG, raaabr! I haven't seen you in AGES! Good to know you're still kicking. I miss playing that "impossible request for the butler" game with you.

On the moss: well, you could always try and swallow without chewing at all.
Or, if it's indeed saliva that triggers the bad taste, you could just grind it in a mortar (turning it into little bits without the saliva), so that your stomach doesn't have to do all the work...

Hey GathersIngredients. Yeah, Senior year at High School combined with the first year of University have taken all my time. I'm considering restarting "Butler, cut me some milk", but I'm not sure about the forum policy on that.

Regarding your idea on how to eat the moss, that'd certainly work, but whoever ate it that way would not get any taste at all. Which is fine for survival, but not for the intended purpose of only getting the Yum instead of the Yuck. Though this is all speculation on my part.

Actually, I only just realized that the game is still going, thanks to you! I think I'll hop back in.
Sometimes I get the feeling that If I was a goblin I would be called "Chews scenery". I have no idea why people might think that!