GAL Q 10: Scents and Sensibility

Home to all current Forum Games.
ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

GAL Q 10: Scents and Sensibility

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:25 am

The five Goblins set out together in seek of the Spider cave. After quite a bit of travel, they reach the mountain. As they get close to the opening to the cave 2 spiders crawl out to greet them, a nasty hissing noise emanating from their mouths. They do not sound too friendly. As they Approach the goblins hear the same noise echoed behind them and turn to see 2 more spiders closing in from behind. They are surrounded and there will be a fight.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
*Let me know if there are any mistakes with inventories. @Gathers: I assumed everything on your trash/trade list went to storage but let me know if you want it to be otherwise. @Badge I assumed that you didn't want the component items from the failed combo (skull mask/magical component's bag) but again let me know if that is wrong.
Last edited by ChuckDaRighteous on Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Re: GAL Q 10: Scents and Sensibility

Post by Patdragon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:54 am

Everything in my inventory looks fine. just need to add the +2 shield when i've confirm the buy.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:32 am

((If Badge doesn't take the skull mask, I'd like to wear it to add to Laughs' creepiness.))

Trusting that everyone... except maybe the new guy... is aware of his lance and its effect, and that goblin adventurers are made of sterner stuff than a few spiders, Laughs brandishes his Lance of Terror above his head, cackling maniacally.

*Teeeeehhhhhheeeeeehhhhheeeeeeee Whaaaahaaahhhaaaaaa*
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:47 am

@ GM: Walks always takes the skull with her for trap testing, distracting enemies and whatnot. Iirc, she hasn't used it that way yet, but that's the idea of dragging it along. So I'd be grateful, if you put it back into her inventory. Likewise with the cloth sack, we might find some small items/powders/??? that would otherwise be tedious to carry. Since she has no belt, she can just tie it around her waist with the Leather Tie Cord, if need may be, so she still has her hands free (not sure if you use hammerspace for inventories.)
Also, I still need to get the mystery healing potion from the mouse cook, not sure if that's still do-able before this here kicks off. Depending on what it does, I might or might not want to take it along, even.
And last, but not least a question about the torch: will re-lighting it be a major action, minor action or free action? Will it work every time without fail, or will there be only a percentage of success?

Action:
Walks raises her shield to block the mandibles of the closest spider, which she will face and whacks at it with her knock-back axe. She carefully maneuvers to make sure she has no other spider immediately behind her and tries to keep an overview of the general situation (e.g. where are goblins, where are spiders, how's the fight going,...) during the fight.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:22 am

GathersIngredients wrote:@ GM: Walks always takes the skull with her for trap testing, distracting enemies and whatnot. Iirc, she hasn't used it that way yet, but that's the idea of dragging it along. So I'd be grateful, if you put it back into her inventory. Likewise with the cloth sack, we might find some small items/powders/??? that would otherwise be tedious to carry. Since she has no belt, she can just tie it around her waist with the Leather Tie Cord, if need may be, so she still has her hands free (not sure if you use hammerspace for inventories.)
I will use hammerspace. I see the GAL as casual and I'm not going to be dickish about inventories and what you can carry. I'll make the changes but I can tell you unless you do something really crazy and interesting (which by all means go ahead and try) a carrying sack won't be necessary.
Also, I still need to get the mystery healing potion from the mouse cook, not sure if that's still do-able before this here kicks off. Depending on what it does, I might or might not want to take it along, even.
I'll just say its something done before you leave. Check with TL but for the moment I'll just give you the same thing as Pat and change it later if necessary. Hopefully it shouldn't be needed the first couple turns. If so you have bigger problems.
And last, but not least a question about the torch: will re-lighting it be a major action, minor action or free action? Will it work every time without fail, or will there be only a percentage of success?
In combat I'd say full round action. Out of combat its a minor. You're not in the cave yet so you can wait till you dispatch these spiders without having to worry about light and shadow. Even if you don't use a torch I'm not going to screw you on vision, though there may be some advantages to using a torch (not going to say more than that at the moment). It will stay lit so long as someone holds it (1h). Lighting it is always successful though you need some reasonable way to light it.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:37 am

((Torch will be handy for burning through webs, spider silk doesn't stand up to fire well (though typically isn't arranged close enough together to give a prolonged burn)... Also, Chuck and others, I'll try to be a good RPer in this spider killing quest, but I may occasionally need to unburden spider facts on you... I'll put them in spoilers... ;) )
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:17 am

lol, well of course spider would pick up on the hidden use. I don't mind the spider facts at all. Just keep in mind these are not normal spiders, so they may not do what you expect and may have features you wouldn't normally deal with...
► Show Spoiler
Also, so far I only have 2 actions. Get your actions in people, I plan on updating tonight.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:23 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:lol, well of course spider would pick up on the hidden use. I don't mind the spider facts at all. Just keep in mind these are not normal spiders, so they may not do what you expect and may have features you wouldn't normally deal with...

If I keep telling myself they are fantasy spiders, and I'm a goblin, I should be ok. :P
► Show Spoiler
Also, so far I only have 2 actions. Get your actions in people, I plan on updating tonight.

Was there an actual link posted in the GAL? I didn't see one, I found it because I regularly check the active topics... There may be people who don't know we've started.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:30 am

Yeah, I also didn't know you were starting today... I guess you need another GAL update then! :P

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:42 am

Well, I sorta started things on Saturday. But yeah thinking about it I should have linked it in the GAL, but brain-farted that bit.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:00 am

► Show Spoiler
Zaks, readies his sword, and backs up slowly into the center of the group.
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:24 am

Forges joins forces with walks and attacks the same spider (if still alive if not a different one) using his mace and shield.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Tells stay in one place hoping to became invisible (with the use of his Crystal Mask) so as to prepare to strike when one the spider least expect it.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:27 pm

The Goblins ready themselves for the Assault of the spiders:

Laughs Creepily brandishes his weapon above his head and laughs in that all too creepy way he does. The spiders in front tentatively diminish their charge to a slow crawl for a moment before bounding forward again at his companions instead attempting to avoid him. Perhaps he was too far away for the spiders to feel the full effect?

Tells Bad Jokes hides and lets the rear spiders go right past him. They donÔÇÖt seem to see him. He could probably sneak up on them next turn.

Forges for Food and Walks With The Wind team up to smash one of the spiders from the front. It turns out it has a rather hard carapace. They still do damage but these things are tough. Luckily the spider feels the force of Walks With The WindÔÇÖs axe and tumbles backward. It spends the rest of the turn getting back up and hisses at Walks angrily.

Zaks readies his sword for the impending assault. One of the rear spiders goes for him, so he lands a vicious slice on it.

The spiders attempt to hit back in force. While the one attacking Walks With The Wind is temporarily out of commission. Both a rear and forward spider go for Forges for Food. While he is able to block the bite from the forward spider, he canÔÇÖt get his shield around fast enough to block the bite from the rear spider. He takes 1 damage. Additionally he feels a surge of venom enter his bloodstream. Forges for Food is now poisoned. (The spider rolled 100 on the chance to poison, so +1 duration, really bad luck starting out there.) Finally the spider attacking Zaks ends up biting bark. It doesnÔÇÖt like the taste and hisses in protest, but luckily isnÔÇÖt able to get through the defense.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
*Let me know if there are any mistakes with inventories. I think I fixed everything that has been brought up but I do make mistakes.
*Until one of the Admins gets around to giving me GM status, I can't use highlight, so your name is gonna be kinda funky until then pat.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Heart pumping and anger spreading along with the poison venom coursing through his veins Forges shouts out.
"god damn frickin spider bit me already "

Forges tries to attack the one that bit him while also trying to position himself so his shield protect from both his attackers.

occ: I'd guess from your description and your first GM style post that shields will have a kind of have a facing bonus if i stopped one but not the other one from behind? Plus no worries on highlight. It was originally added as his body colour was hard to read.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:05 pm

Pissed that one of the spiders bit his formerly fellow wooden eared companion, Laughs cackles as he slams his LoT (Lance of Terror) down into the spider that bit Forges. If that one is already dead, he'll attack the first one to attack Forges.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:11 pm

► Show Spoiler
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:21 am

Tells in hiding make a stealth attack against the one that Zaks fighting.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:00 am

Zaks raises an eyebrow at the creepy goblin who had laughed maniacally and as he held up the lance he felt a chill run down his spine causing him nearly to wet himself. Ripping his eyes from the weapon, Zaks brought his focus back to the spider that had attacked him, focusing on the eyes and mouth of the beast he attacked. After attacking, he takes a moment to take a 5' step backwards. :D

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:34 am

Walks can feel the hair in her neck stand on its end from the weapon Laughs is using, but since she has experienced the effects before, she grits her teeth and mentally steels her resolve against it. Cussing under her breath because one of her companions got bitten, she moves in an attempt to protect herself from any bites with the shield and positioning and attacks the closest spider (might be a different one, due to the knockback effect) with the axe. If more than one are equally close, she'll attack the one most badly wounded (and thusly most likely to be killed by the attack).
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 am

Forges for Food shouts out a curse as he turns to pummel the spider that attacked him with a swing of his mace. He takes a point of damage from the poison.

Walks With The Wind considers between the two spiders attacking Forges for Food but decides to again gang up and attack the same spider. She connects with a swing from her axe.

Feeling protective of his companion, Laughs Creepily also stabs at his companionÔÇÖs attacker with an enraged cackle on his lips. As the lance pierces his side the spider lets out a terrified shriek and skitters back away from the fight a short ways. It doesnÔÇÖt retreat but he does lick his wounds this round while eyeing Laughs Creepily with a look of hatred (you think, its hard to tell with spider eyes, cue Spider's random facts). HeÔÇÖs looking pretty battered. It shouldnÔÇÖt take much more to kill him.

Meanwhile on the other side of the fight Zaks takes another swipe at the spider attacking him and backs away.

Tells Bad Jokes sneaks up on the same spider and tries to bury his harpoon in its backside. Its carapace is pretty thick but since it wasnÔÇÖt paying attention Tells Bad Jokes manages to find a weak gap in one of its leg joints to wedge the tip between. The spider is looking like it doesnÔÇÖt have much left. It shouldnÔÇÖt take much more to drop it.

With the spider who bit him out of commission this round, Forges for Food is able to whip his shield around and block the attack from the spider that bit him. Unfortunately the spider that attacked Walks With The Wind last round decides it doesnÔÇÖt want to take another tumble going against her and attacks him too. Forges for Food takes 1 damage. Its fangs sink in deep enough to deliver its venom but since heÔÇÖs already poisoned it has no effect. (Normally it will refresh the effect but because of the critical 100 last turn, +1 duration from last turn means it refreshes to the same number. Lucky(?) you.) Finally the spider attacking Zaks is not happy about taking it from behind and twirls around to attack Tells Bad Jokes instead. Luckily Tells Bad Jokes knows how to deal with animals and avoids its bite.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
*I really do like you Pat. My dice don't feel the same way.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:12 am

OOC: I'm thankful for the better shield or i would have dies next round already then, so i'm not sure if the shield is curse or what :)

"Whaaff duuh fuush is going on...do ayee smell off friggin ffly! Wooah Im slurring guys, fink i've bin possion"

Forges doesn't feel his lips go a bit numb but the resulting speech is begin to be obvious. Being surrounded he doesn't dare draw out a potion to deal with it yet so carries on attacking the most damage spider within his reach again trying to move into a better position so two can't get him at once.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:34 am

Laughs chortles gleefully, flips off the spider he'd stabbed, and then attacks the other one going after his friend Forges.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:47 am

Zaks lips curl up into a snarl as he attacks the spider that turned its back on him.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:01 am

Patdragon wrote:OOC: I'm thankful for the better shield or i would have dies next round already then, so i'm not sure if the shield is curse or what :)
Actually the spiders only do 3 damage. So you would have been fine with a lesser shield in this fight... But don't you worry, there are tougher fights ahead where that shield can prove its worth. >:-D
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10