The Goblin Adventurer's League

Home to all current Forum Games.
ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Re: The Goblin Adventurer's League (The Mouse Chef Arrives)

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:36 am

thinkslogically wrote:I hadn't intended for gold to be transferred, but I'd be happy to put it to a general vote.
Even though it goes against my personal wealth at this moment, I wouldn't transfer all gold. Though maybe new characters could start with half (or some other percentage) of their previous total (or the normal 10 if it would be less than 10). It would make it so that those who really built up can get a halfway decent restart. Starting over sucks, so it would be nice to take some of the sting out of it.
Synch wrote:When Leaves is back you're welcome to use the Beserker Axe. It doesn't suit my character, but the rage might suit Vengeful One.
hmm... which would represent it more? A firey item or an all out attack item? That's something I'll have to consider but I definitely appreciate the offer. Although lowering my defenses... why do I get the feeling you're just trying to get me killed again? :stab:
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:50 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote:
thinkslogically wrote:I hadn't intended for gold to be transferred, but I'd be happy to put it to a general vote.
Even though it goes against my personal wealth at this moment, I wouldn't transfer all gold. Though maybe new characters could start with half (or some other percentage) of their previous total (or the normal 10 if it would be less than 10). It would make it so that those who really built up can get a halfway decent restart. Starting over sucks, so it would be nice to take some of the sting out of it.
I feel like that's a pretty decent idea. An "inheritance" or something - new characters by new players get 10 gold, new characters created by old players when their old character dies get 10 gold + X% of their previous character's gold. Maybe even 20% - so people with like, 30 gold when they die start over with 16.

The issue is going to be that more recent quests are slightly more difficult to take into account that the majority of characters have at least SOME cool equipment... newbies created through character death are going to be at a distinct disadvantage, but completely-new newbies are going to be even MORE disadvantaged. So if some kind of inheritance is created, there really should be a "new guy training budget" or something that gets handed to a fully new player - another 10 gold or a set of "basic gear" (sword, armor, potion?) to help them catch up.

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:26 am

nikohl wrote:The issue is going to be that more recent quests are slightly more difficult to take into account that the majority of characters have at least SOME cool equipment... newbies created through character death are going to be at a distinct disadvantage, but completely-new newbies are going to be even MORE disadvantaged. So if some kind of inheritance is created, there really should be a "new guy training budget" or something that gets handed to a fully new player - another 10 gold or a set of "basic gear" (sword, armor, potion?) to help them catch up.
I think that's part of the benefit of merchants being added in. A new player right now could get a short sword, a wooden shield, or a couple of throwing axes, as opposed to the absolute nothing start that the first members did and while he may rotate out, another one might come offering armor or some other types of gear. I think healing potions (and possibly other types) will be available shortly on a more permanent basis.

One thing I was considering recently is that Trophies brought back to the GAL (excluding the combination box) have for the most part been cosmetic at best. The dungeon sign was posted on the wall, but other things such as the ant head, hookah, and water basin were pretty much ignored in the grand scheme of things unless we can figure some way of using them ourselves. This maybe a cool way of increasing the "starting budget." For example, if we found some trophy that the mouse chef likes the reward for giving it to him might be: all members of the GAL (current and future) get one healing potion. Then, characters start with 10gp and a healing potion. This way, as our overall item economy goes up, our starting place also improves for both restarting and new characters so that neither are too far behind other players. And it adds some fun value to trophies. Though I'm not sure we want to add too much in this regard else we end up having to increase the item budget. If everyone starts with a full set of +1 items, GMs will have to increase both difficulty, and loot. Also I've noticed that may players will loan/donate their old/less-useful gear to newbie players on quests, so I don't think that newbies are completely screwed. I gave an old weapon to synch when he joined and I believe he's currently loaning out one to another player, not to mention flat offered me one now that I restarted. So I think people's generosity will get new players up to par pretty quickly.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:56 am

ChuckDaRighteous wrote: Also I've noticed that may players will loan/donate their old/less-useful gear to newbie players on quests, so I don't think that newbies are completely screwed. I gave an old weapon to synch when he joined and I believe he's currently loaning out one to another player, not to mention flat offered me one now that I restarted. So I think people's generosity will get new players up to par pretty quickly.
I think the initial tendency was to hoard everything, when all players were fairly item poor, but now that most players have something at least, it becomes clear that having a party member that is at an item disadvantage puts the whole party at a disadvantage. So even if it isn't true generosity, but more making sure all players can pull their weight on quests, it still brings up the overall party level.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Yup, this is something I'm very very aware of in terms of balancing, but I don't ever want the gal to disadvantage new players. It's SUPPOSED to be a training ground for both players and gms to practice their stuff, it was never intended to be a campaign-type setting, and (although is inevitable) you weren't really meant to get too attached to your characters either :) encouraging new players was my aim really; keeping experienced folk happy was more of a a side bonus!

From my point of view, I think inheriting equipment is enough of a bonus over a brand new player to make things borderline unfair without starting a spiral of inflation. Of course, totally new Players could always get a 'starter pack' or something for balance, but again, we'd need to be really careful with balance.

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:41 pm

Actually the next fountain mini quest is ready to go. If you guys wanted I can do it straight away as its was going to be a easy beginner quest for 1 + adventurers. I've added on a few extra minor bits so should guess of around 20-5 turns long so a shortish quest after my last one.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:01 pm

I think there are only 3 of us in the GAL hall at the moment though, so might be a bit undersized as far as parties go...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Last count there were four, but one has a mud honey curse (nolandking)and the other already has an ability(tea), I was hoping for at least three people.
But I can run it with two or even one, if either wants to join in there are a few other things to do as it is not just the fountain. As I said it should be a quick and easy quest.

On a different note we haven't actually had any new people join in a while. So whilst its good we have a plan for keeping this balanced we've not had to use it recently and its more likely a death reset so stored item carry on works well.
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Noland has been MIA in other games recently, so it'd be me, Tea and Chuck's new character.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:54 pm

I can work with that if Tea aka naps wants to show you guys the way ;)
► Show Spoiler
- Karn, Silver golem

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:50 am

Am till here just been having collage workload drop on me. Also I haven't gotten the info on what the mask I got from the combination box does yet.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:08 am

Naps would be willing to help if needed, Tea is a little bit busy and is trying not to get into too many interesting things at once, but quick and easy sounds quite manageable!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:25 am

Well, if Kida wants to roll up a new goblin, that would increase our party by 1.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:53 am

Well William will be back soon...as well as the others...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:06 pm

yeah, GAL7 is almost done and then I'll get back to the housekeeping around here that I've been neglecting (like noland's mask stats....)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm

I think there are some pending purchases with the trader too. :)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:21 pm

I will try to update the trapper keeper this evening...just so everyone knows...im sorry for my lacking in the upkeep of it

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:08 pm

speaking of which can we get a statues of the fallen section? Would be a fun little addition now that we've started to fall.
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:15 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:Well, if Kida wants to roll up a new goblin, that would increase our party by 1.
Sorry - I don't have the time to invest in GAL right now :( , maybe in the future

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:59 pm

I have actually added a "DEAD" section...and i would like to also add a small -blip- as to how they met their most unfortunate end. Sadly I have a job where I can no longer browse the internet for 5+ hours a day and get paid for it, ...thus the majority of my online time happens at home, and I don't always have the time. I am however planning and trying to get back into it more and I will be (in the next several months) be trying to put a new game together. But part of my job as trapper keeper keeper is to go back and read all of this and find out what the crap happened in my absence.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:26 am

So the little eulogies I wrote in game, and the one I made on the last page for righteous should do for that. I think it's on page 1 as well... I'll do one for drinks in due course too.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Need to get a big can of raid for GAL 8 because the most damage they have taken is from giant mosquitos...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Quarg wrote:Need to get a big can of raid for GAL 8 because the most damage they have taken is from giant mosquitos...
Hey, I was almost killed by a particularly nasty squirrel, thank you!! >:-P
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Ahem.... So far. Soooo far. o:)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The Goblin Adventurer's League (The Adventurer's Return)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:55 am

The Adventurer's Return

Battered and bruised, the remaining adventurers who embarked on the quest to the swamp and the druid return to the GAL with the healing potion for the sick goblin upstairs. They deliver the potion to the barman and he disappears upstairs....

After a short while, he comes back downstairs.

"Thank you. He's breathing more easily now and his fever is easing. I don't think he'll be awake for a while, but I'm sure he'll want to thank you himself when he is. Now, I think you deserve a drink, don't you? These ones are on me."

Tells pays Dashon 2GP to identify his new Crystal Mask. Dashon ponders for a bit and then says:

"Hmmm... Interesting. It seems your mask has been imbued with nature magic... Very nice! If you wear this mask in a natural setting, like a cave or a forest or something, it should allow you to blend in with the environment. Providing you don't move too much of course! Very handy for sneaking around if you ask me!"

Costa decides to try his hand at the combi-box and pops some of his items in:

The sharp fork + torch snuffer go in first. The box whirs and grumbles and clunks to a halt as a "90" appears on the lid. Colourful sparks puff out from inside the box as he opens it and he pulls out a deadly-looking Spork. Interesting!

Putting the fire elemental's heart and the frog-king's crown into the box gets him the no. 25 and a clink. Opening it up, he retrieves a pretty pink Tiara with little love hearts all around the sides. Beautiful!

Finally, Costa hands the talking skull back to Steals.

"how did I even get this thing in the first place ?"
"THING!?"

Steals pays for his burning blade to be ID'd and discovers it is a Burning Blade: +2 ATT (chance to burn an enemy)

All examines her metal disc, but it sadly has no special properties. Popping the puzzle box and small bag into the combi box, she is delighted when it pops to a halt on a "93" and recovers a Pocket Portal: Can be used to hide one item (any size). Stored items can ONLY be retrieved by the person who put them there..

All then pops her Smoking Disk and Ex-Flashing Metal Ball into the combi box. It whistles and pops and pings up with a "98". Opening the box, she finds herself looking at a miniature stormcloud. It floats up to eye level and... blinks at her!

Remedy asks the barman for a dirty pint (containing one of every drink behind the bar), but isn't quite so impressed that it'll cost her 5GP! Instead, she decides to leave the box alone and go adventuring.

Naps takes his mystery blue crystal to Dashon for some identifying. Dashon grins as he takes 2GP from Naps for the work, but the smile quickly fades...

"Well, I'll be... I'm sorry friend, but I can't take your money for this. I can't tell you what it is, except that it's enchanted with some damn powerful magic... It's strange and... frightening. I've never seen anything like it!"

As a thunder storm continues to rumble on outside, a new goblin enters the League, with an appearance that mirrors the weather perfectly!

Vengeful One has joined the GAL!

"Hey new guy! *teeeeheeee* I'm Laughs Creepily, who *teee* are you?
"Welcome to the Goblin Adventurer's League, friend! Pull up a stool and have a drink! What'll you be having?"
"VengefulOne. I'll buy a drink to honor my fallen brother, RighteousOne. To my brother!
"Hey Robert, put that one on my *teee* tab. Sorry for your *hehehe* loss. You know, Right helped me get *teehe* revenge on an evil wizard for my *hahee* ear. We got him back in the end! *HAHAHAHAHAheeeee* Anything I can help you with, let me know. *tehe*

..."I need a weapon... he says and heads outside to buy a throwing axe.

Which he does.

Tells heads out to the trader and offers some items for sale.

"Well, I can take the dagger off your hands for 3GP. It's nothing special though. The puzzle box... These are unusual and people are always looking for unusual things. I can give you 20GP for that if you like? The pen and paper... You're as well keeping that to be honest. I can't resell that for very much at all."

--------------------------------

@Quarg: You've brought back the new ropes and the chest so they can go in the trapper keeper in due course.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.