Here Be Dragons

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Here Be Dragons

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 pm

EDIT: This thread is supposed to be about dragons + dragon art in general, the DragonCave pixelwyrms are just a good excuse to talk about them. :) Feel free to chat around and please bear with us as we openly shelter the aforementioned beasts, too. :)

So...

I can't help but notice that the amount of dragons in the signatures are increasing. Which is a great thing, because I love dragons and love to see them all. I'm starting this thread in order to make it somehow dragon-related, in the hopes that the "original" dragons of the forum (like the ever-chatting mnem) won't crash-and-burn everything down. :D

Unfortunately once those signature dragons grow adult, they become huge pixel-wise, and it is advised to remove them from sigs. Since it's not a big deal (as adult dragons don't require any more views to survive), I'm sure everyone will eventually do it, but it would be also nice to still have them around.

I know that the Dragon Cave site has it's own forum, but it prohibits using eggs/hatchlings in the signature and I'm not sure I'd join a new forum anyway, so if any of you feel similar but would like to chat about dragons in general or about the pixel dragons they have, feel free to do so here. You may also show off your adult dragons here without being frowned upon. :)

DC Forumites
.[tabs:LooksAndSmiles]
Looking for (I don't have):
ImageImage, gold shimmer

And of course all the dragons that are not yet on my scroll, I don't mind messy linages.

Always love to receive:
ImageImageImage

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:Gryphonic]
Looking for:
red hatchies

Would also love:
CB tsunami and gold wyverns, CB/PB coppers, PB nebulas.

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:nikohl]
Looking for:
- cave born male Moonstone

Always love to receive:
- caveborns that are not on the scroll: See THIS list (in spoiler)

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:lingrem]
Looking for:
Dream Team: a chicken
Favourites: CB Skywings, Waterwalkers, Pillow and Nebula dragons

Project: 5CB Water Walkers (F), 5CB Black Capped Teimarr (M)
Project: Epic Mutt! If you come across any Mutts (non-inbred) that have a pretty big lineage... pass 'em my way!

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:gamecreator]

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:Nerre]

DragonCave Scroll

[tabs:Skulexander]

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:Zathyr]

DragonCave Scroll
[tabs:FoamyBeard]

DragonCave Scroll[/tabs]
Last edited by LooksAndSmiles on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

I'mBob
Game Master

Re: Here Be Dragons

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 pm

My dragon collection:

.[tabs: 1]Image
[tabs: 2]Image
[tabs: 3]Image
[tabs: 4]Image[/tabs]

I will try to keep updating it the more adults I will get. My method is to have 1 hatchling and 1 egg at a time, once both the hatchling grows up and the egg hatch I go and hunt another egg. This way I never have more than 2 dragon in my sig. I also try to balance the amount of dragon I have from each biome.
Last edited by I'mBob on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Oh heck, I joined in this game. Now to see if my eggs hatch :).
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 pm

http://dragcave.net/user/lingrem

That's my cave full of dragons. I tend to get a few new ones once every year or so. haha.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:08 pm

I played this game long ago. There was no areas then and dragons were distributed from the main page. I wrote a program, that checked the main page and caught specified eggs to my account. Despite I had not managed to add support of abandonment page, I was able to acquire almost any dragon I wanted. So I lost interest to this game and later considered it won, as I passed (almost) the challenge it posed to me.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:53 pm

ha, I've never thought of it as a game. I think of it more as a collection!

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:11 pm

So, they eventually grow up and then you can breed them to make more, and otherwise they stand around looking dragony?
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:36 am

lingrem wrote:ha, I've never thought of it as a game. I think of it more as a collection!
Actually I think collection is a sort of game.
Dragcave is one of those games with free objective. You can catch them all, produce intricate genealogical trees, name them in some fashion and so on.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:49 am

Zathyr wrote:So, they eventually grow up and then you can breed them to make more, and otherwise they stand around looking dragony?
Yes, more or less.

@gamecreator: Well, it is kind of a game, but since as you stated it has open goals you can't really "beat" it. Of course if your aim is to catch'em all (or at least the ones you want), then sure, you have beaten it. As for me, I just like simply having them around, 'cause they look cool.

I'm thinking of making a forum roleplaying game based on the dragons you have (so applying to the game would eventually require you to have a dragon), what do you guys think? This could wait of course until more people joins the dragon bandwagon. I'm also not sure whether to make it pure role-playing, or adding some battle/skill system underneath so you can wreak quantified havoc on your neighbourhood...
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 am

Sounds cool, L&S.
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:43 am

Ah... while im not up to creating yet another account another place... I do like to pose all the dragon lover a chalenge.
Dragon breeding...

Create your own dragon... using any drawing tool you'd like, and the dragons from THIS page...

Here is my result of said experiment:

and the process
Dragonmorph.png

Remember to give due credit to Dagon cave.

all original images was taken from the Dragon cave wiki: dragcave.wikia.com/ and the result of said images are fan art.

(I have created a thread in Games for the result, so not to spamm this thread)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Best regards LAYF

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 am

Does anyone ever pick up abandoned eggs? I just did mostly because I was curious to see which eggs are abandoned,
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." - anonymous

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 pm

There are most common dragons for the most part. IIRC before introduction of habitats it was flooded with green and one or two other dragons. I don't know if they intoduced transfer mechanics after all, but earlier people transferred eggs between scrolls through abandonment and those rare eggs could sometimes be sniped in process. Also as there is limit for number of eggs and hatchlings on scroll, all excess eggs from breeding also go onto abandonment page.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Arydra wrote:Does anyone ever pick up abandoned eggs? I just did mostly because I was curious to see which eggs are abandoned,
As of now, out of my 4 dragons 2 have been picked from the abandoned pile, and 2 has been stolen from the caves. The abandoned eggs are the really most common ones, people pick them fast (and abandon) so hopefully something uncommon/rare pops instead of them in the caves... kind of a greedy mentality, but unfortunately the way the eggs are spawned in the caves doesn't really help their case. As gamecreator mentioned, breeding also contributes to that...

As long as I don't own every kind of dragon that generally gets abandoned, I'll always try to save some eggs (with an initial 50% which will go lower as I'll own more). ;)

On a totally different topic, I wanted to make this thread about dragons in general too, but the opening post might have swinged it a bit in the dragoncave-direction.

I'm posting some of my favourite dragon related links here, feel free to share yours too!

- Kerembeyit's must see dragons (steampunk dragon, ftw!). There are folder links on the left to ease your browsing.
- Nightlire's deviant art, with some nice dragons here and there, among other stuff. She also had a webcomic featuring dragons, unfortunately this got discontinued a year ago, before even shaping up... :( The art is superb, so it might be worth checking if you can resist longing for more.
- Colorful "cute" dragon statues and such, from a talented deviant artist.
- Todd Lockwood's amazing art gallery, full of dragons, among other things (check right side gallery buttons, D&D, Books, Magz feature dragons).
- Jessica Feinberg also has dragons, in case you were wondering.

Umm, so yeah. I like dragons. What? :paranoia:

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 pm

While these people are really good at making dragons, none of them reaches even half of my dragon-drawing abilities. Just look at the one on my avatar.
► Show Spoiler

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 pm

'Tis a fine dragon. I suspect the world may never see its like again.

And my little guy was a rescue from the abandoned pile. It was a spillover from breeding, apparently. I don't know if everyone can view the lineage or if it's just me.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:36 pm

Well, I can see it.
► Show Spoiler

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Everyone can.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:03 pm

I take mine as a mix... I check out the abandoned pile for any that I like the look of, and will take ones from the caves if I think they sound interesting (and I don't know what they look like already).

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 pm

By the way, I use this link to determine whether I'm interested in a particular egg: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Which_egg_is_which%3F

In Firefox Ctrl+F brings up the text search function, so if I type in the probably unique words of the description, it brings me to the relevant egg fast. Of course, by the time I get back to the egg it is likely taken, so I should have just clicked on it instead of looking it up, but if my memory works well, I'll surely catch them next time. The link is also good to decide on abandoned eggs, too.

Arydra
Gives Speeches

Post by Arydra » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:06 pm

Got my first adult! Image

I prefer to not know what the dragon will look like before it hatches. However, I suppose that wiki could inform you if you have a rare egg or not.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:14 pm

LAS, You can click first and then abandon it if you don't like it.

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:20 pm

gamecreator wrote:LAS, You can click first and then abandon it if you don't like it.
Yeah I know, but that's cruel. Also, what if someone else wanted that dragon? I know these are just pixels and nothing really happens, but I believe in maintaining my moral standards, even on the internet. :D :oops:

EDIT: Also, congrats to Arydra on your first adult, looks cool!

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:32 pm

Just looked at my scroll and learned that I don't have chicken there (thought I had one).

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:17 am

Woohoo! There is an Easter event on the site, I already got 17 Easter eggs, some of them are really cool.
► Show Spoiler