GAR Updates?

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: GAR Updates?

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:29 pm

I'd be OK with you posting a link to that, then. A couple of other moderators had privacy/security/liability concerns about posting the information here without permission.

Stardance
Mumbles Incoherently

Post by Stardance » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:54 am

I was really bothered by the email. I appreciate that he is finally being honest, but he strikes me as being delusional if he actually thinks he is going to finish the game at any point in the future. I mean, he is still tinkering with game design? If he is still tinkering at this point, then I believe the project, or his aspirations for the project, are beyond his skills and talent. I am not sure that requesting my money back will make a difference at this point. It is just disheartening. Sorry, I just had to vent somewhere.

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:36 pm

I think if he had delivered the game with the non-balanced setup as they've discovered it is, many here might be happy they got their game, but disappointed about the game mechanics.

You would have gotten something for your money, but you might have felt cheated, as you might think that the creators simply pushed out a game without thought, as the game mechanics are non-functional.

What would you prefer?

And I know that Kickstarter generally warns you that this is a possible outcome of ANY project on their site.

As shipping to EUR is generally totally unbalanced high in price, I never participate.
And there are projects where I'd love to put in a bit.

Anyway, you now know that the project is not discontinued, but it is somewhere low on all the things the one-man-company does.
Goblinscomic transcriptions
Collection of G:AR cards

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:48 pm

He's still tinkering with the game, but remember that he's also been working on the previous game. Dealing with collecting, storing, packing, addressing, and shipping Mr. Card Game took up a big chunk of time. I've heard it from pretty much everyone who has ever run a successful Kickstarter - sending out rewards is way more involved and time-consuming than you would ever expect.

See where the box is going. See what's supposed to be in the box. Go through the boxes of goods to find the appropriate number of each item. Double check to be sure you've got the right stuff. Make sure it's packed okay. Fill in and print out the address label. If it's going to another country, you have to fill out the customs form by hand. Seal it up. Put it aside. Repeat, one box at a time, for thousands of boxes. It's harder and more exhausting than it sounds.

They had to rent a warehouse to do this. And while they were doing it, they weren't working on game development.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

DrinksBeer
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksBeer » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

@RocketScientist: no problem. I've moderated message boards myself before and it's the worlds most thankless task. If I had a nickel for every time I've had to delete copyrighted content or add links to post I'd have enough to finish this game myself.

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:50 am

Any chances we get get him a prod from here for an update, it seems to get more results than emails which are routinely ignored.

Don't really care when it comes out at this point, just want to know that it will and an update would really help in that regard. I suspect he's finishing up the delivery of Mr. Card game and working on Goblins however I went to his site this morning and it looks like he's done 3 other games since the last time I was on his site so he's working on something but is it Goblins? I have to admit that has more than a little concerned as to where our money went.

Failing an ability to deliver the game would it be possible for him to provide a "self-print" version to the backers I wonder?

DrinksBeer
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksBeer » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:42 pm

I suspect he's finishing up the delivery of Mr. Card game and working on Goblins however I went to his site this morning and it looks like he's done 3 other games since the last time I was on his site so he's working on something but is it Goblins?
You mean Straw, Lords of Scotland, etc.? I believe those games were all done prior to Mr. Card Game.

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:28 am

If true that is good news.

Still it's been over 2 months now without a peep, would be nice to hear if the project has moved forward in any meaningful way. The longer we have to wait the less I expect to ever see product.

DrinksBeer
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksBeer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:09 am

FWIW this was posted yesterday in the comments on the GAR kickstarter page:
Kevin Giguere about 17 hours ago
I contacted Tarol Hunt through twitter and he responded that he was going to make an official announcement very soon. So at least there's that, someone is responding even if I'm guessing he was never directly involved with the game.

Groo_the_Wanderer
Mutters to Themself

Post by Groo_the_Wanderer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:44 am

Well ..... shit.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/lowtide-upd ... realities/

I guess it turns out that what many of us feared to be the case has happened. I want to believe that Richard James didn't just scamper off with the dough on purpose but at this point it's starting to really, REALLY feel like that is the case. I wouldn't be surprised honestly if the whole "critical flaw / broken mechanic" line was complete bull at this point.

I think most of our cash went to finish Mr. Card game and his little Vegas trip to be honest.

I want to be clear here though, I do not blame Tarol in any way, if anything he got taken on a bigger ride that we did because the thought this guy was his friend.

To bad really this was the one deck building game I was likely to enjoy, thankfully I wrote this money off long ago though so at this point there really isn't any sting to the announcement just some welcome closure.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:48 am

It'll be interesting to see if Richard responds to this post. He seemed like a good, honest guy who was doing his best when I met him and emailed with him. I wonder if maybe it just got to be too much for him and he couldn't admit it. Who knows?

At least Thunt is doing his best to make things work.

But wow.

Also, this is clearly what Thunt needed right now. More work, responsibility, and expense. Especially when he had other things he wanted to launch.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:20 am

I've read into the blog (not finished yet), and started to ask myself, whether THunt could legally continue the game.
The game mechanics are (c) Evertide, and only some of the graphics are (c) Thunt, but I do not know the legal contracts between the two, whether copyright for the game images Thunt created got transferred to Evertide...

Honestly, with the things as they are right now, THunt should NOT touch that subject..
If it really gets handed to someone else, that would be a huge pain for all sides concerned, and not worth it.

Everyone supporting a kickstarter knows, that the money could be a potential total loss... :(

Edit to add: Heh, the very next paragraph starts on legal issues.... And the last line too.

Pity that it will cost Thunt a lot of money, just to quieten his conscience.
Neither is a good solution: taking the responsibilitx and the bad feeling of not having tha money; and not doing anything and a bad conscience...
Last edited by Krulle on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:25 am

I asked him about that. He pointed out that the last paragraph of the post covers that question. Basically, the contract with Evertide expired without the game being delivered. So all legal rights revert to Thunt.

► Show Spoiler

DrinksBeer
Mutters to Themself

Post by DrinksBeer » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Well, that sucks, even if it was kind of expected. Huge props to Thunt for trying to make it right but if it's going to cost him a bunch of money, I for one am quite willing to forfeit all the extras. A POD game would be more than generous. And if I never even got that much I would never blame Tarol. IMHO this isn't his fault at all.

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:50 pm

Well, that is good. The last thing he needs is a third party when Disney's lawyers come knocking :)
Look! A Distraction!
-William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, Ninja

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:39 am

Second blog on G:AR by THunt.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/lowtide-gar-second-update/

Looks like he's ENJOYING to create the game. That's good!

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:05 am

Third update. Thunt can't get the backer list from Amazon because they're not recognizing his right to it. (If I'm reading things right, I've got an idea for a different tack which may work. I've messaged him. We'll see what he says and how things go from here.)

Meantime, he's still having fun with the game and has introduced some new elements.

Oh, and his new computer may arrive today.

http://www.goblinscomic.org/lowtide-the ... rd-update/

► Show Spoiler

Krulle
Transcribes Goblins

Post by Krulle » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:44 am

To avoid having two threads on the same subject-matter: most of the discussion is currently in this thread in General Discussion.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:20 am

I've decided to close this thread, to go along with what Krulle has said - if this the thread you're following, please click on the link and go to the more updated thread. Thanks :)
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!