Doctor Who!

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Doctor Who!

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:06 pm

With every episode, I'm seeing him resemble more and more of the other Doctors. In this one he also reminded me of both 1 and 10 at different times.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Other than that awful Queen cover by the screech owl woman, I liked this week's episode. Jelly Babies? Check. Someday I may find out what black currant tastes like, so I can stop envisioning those black ones as tasting like licorice. >:-P

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:46 am

Really only a little different from a black grape. Maybe not quit as sweet. A little stronger flavored.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:11 am

Just saw the episode last night (was at the Renn Faire Saturday and didn't get home til 11 pm and had to work all day Sunday...)

I liked it. Go Doctor and his over-abundance of well deserved and earned arrogance. ("Give me one minute with him and you won't have to worry about it again" or something along those lines). :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:05 am

No opinion on last week's episode?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:04 pm

I haven't actually watched it yet. Was busy last Saturday :-P and with the cat sick this week, I haven't gotten round to it. I think I've missed a few shows this week, actually. I'll let you know.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:04 am

RocketScientist wrote:I haven't actually watched it yet. Was busy last Saturday :-P and with the cat sick this week, I haven't gotten round to it. I think I've missed a few shows this week, actually. I'll let you know.
Busy last Saturday? How dare you! :lol:

That's ok, it'll come back on right before the new Who on Saturday.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:41 pm

OK, now I've watched it. What was the deal with the sister? I don't even get that. She was hiding in a bush made of sparkly beings, or...? The little kids were both cute and obnoxious (as kids are, so well done), and damn, Danny is stubborn. "I don't want to play with the Doctor. I want to stay home and watch telly." :chuckle:

someone
Whispers Softly

Post by someone » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:20 am

This weeks Episode...
Epic?
Sad?
Interesting?
I mean holy moly...
► Show Spoiler

And did they really just
► Show Spoiler
?

I honestly can't wait to see part 2, almost as exited as now with our beloved Goblins Comic!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:45 am

Saw it last night. Called what happened to Danny when they blanked the screen. Dammit.

Clara is starting to surprise me. She's got depth!

Also, Missy didn't surprise me much... The Doctor's reaction to her during the whole episode did. Though his constant missed Spot checks amuse me to no end. "I keep thinking I'm missing something"... well duh! :lol:

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:00 pm

Did Clara really think "I'm going to kill myself as soon as I know it's you" was going to work? :roll: Derp, Clara.

Also, Clara and Missy seem like good and evil versions of Mary Poppins to me.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:01 am

RocketScientist wrote:Also, Clara and Missy seem like good and evil versions of Mary Poppins to me.
That is possibly one of the best descriptions and comparisons I have EVER heard! :cheer:
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:53 am

Holy Finale's Batman!....

What did y'all think?

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:42 pm

It was ok. Some bits were quite fun and plot reveals were good but it felt like the flow was a little off, can't quite put my finger on how tho.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:58 pm

Frustrating. Mostly good, but frustrating.

Spoilered in case Carrot or someone else drops in before watching.
► Show Spoiler
Still processing the rest of the episode in my brain.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins

Post by Wolfie » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:26 am

It felt rushed to me. Missy wasn't fully realized as a character, IMO. Devilishly unhinged, yes. But not fully realized. I think we'll see her again... somehow. The Master always pops back up.

The did need to explain the whole spore thing a bit more... and yes. #1 is a must RS.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:32 pm

You're right. It did feel rushed. And maybe like they stuffed too many elements into the same episode. If Missy had been my first introduction to the Master, I would be most unimpressed with her as a nemesis.

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:30 pm

Ok, I've seen it now.

I liked Missy as the Master, although not as well as I liked the last Master. Missy wasn't really a nemesis in this one, in my opinion. It felt more like the introduction of the Master wasn't so much to have a nemesis so much as to say 'Ah Ha! The Master, that is a bone for long term fans!,' something thrown into a plot that was going to happen in any case. Even the bit with Galifrey (spell checker corrects to Gallimaufry which is marvelous) didn't actually CHANGE anything, everything was exactly where it was before except with an added dose of depression.

I think we finally got a little more depth out of Capaldi's Doctor beyond just brooding, although we returned to that at the end. I blame writing for this more than acting, Capaldi just hasn't been given enough to work with. I think after the darkness of Smith's Doctor (shut up, he was extremely existentially terrifying, a Doctor who had chosen to forget why he didn't kill), a gritty reboot Doctor was the wrong way to go.

I've always liked Clara, or at least I've liked Jenna Coleman, but this head on collision with depression and death that has seemed to be her character arc this series has not been something I have enjoyed or thought was appropriate, maybe it will be fixed at Christmas, but I doubt it. She has been well acted but not well written (I could bring up the whole 'Moffat is Sexist' thing, but while I agree, I don't want to get into it right now).

The last thing Danny did in the episode (No spoilers here!) is exactly what Danny would have done, even if the whole bracelet thing came out of right field (I have a feeling there is a deleted scene there somewhere, but I doubt that it would make sense even then). Danny has been the one bright spot for me in what has been a pretty crappy series generally.

Science Girl was dead as soon as the Doctor suggested the offer. It is like when a soldier shows everybody a picture of his sweetheart back home in a war movie, there is no coming back from that.

Overall, I was not impressed but I wasn't expecting to be. The writing and stories this year have been pretty abysmal, without even a Neil Gaiman helmed bright spot like we had last series to drag us out of mediocrity. There haven't seemed to be any scripts this series that didn't have Moffat as an author, or I haven't noticed any at any rate. I think, generally, we need a new Showrunner, Moffat has run out of gimmicks (especially since he has to divide his time between this and Sherlock), and gimmicks and speeches are what he is best at. I also miss companions that could be their own people. Clara needs to react to a man, but that has been the case with both Amy and River, so it isn't surprising.
Look! A Distraction!
-William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime Minister, Ninja

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:15 pm

Missy definitely wasn't a nemesis. She was Renfield as played by the Joker.

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:19 pm

The Joker is a really apt analogy. In the best Joker stories, the Joker is trying to make Batman realize the darkness and chaos in his own soul.
Look! A Distraction!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Did you catch the 1989 Nicholson Joker-esque music they played for her? I think that's what they were going for there.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I love Missy! She's bananas!

Spoilers!
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:46 am

I agree with all of that except I could do without any more dangerously unstable. Especially on our side. I could also do without any more Clara. (Sorry, Jenna. Not your fault.)

Anything that puts me in mind of Star Wars Crapisode Episode 3 is, of course, bad.

Liesmith
Indulges in Conversation
UStream Username: Liesmith

Post by Liesmith » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:47 am

Heh, I didn't think of it like that...Obi Wan and Missy.
► Show Spoiler
"All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day. You had a bad day once. Am I right? I know I am. I can tell. You had a bad day and everything changed."
► Show Spoiler

CooksACarrot
An Obvious Distraction

Post by CooksACarrot » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 pm

I wanted to have Capaldi and Coleman to get better material, but the writing has been terrible. At least Smith got a little to work with, we still don't really know who Capaldi's Doctor is, and I'm not sure he even knows yet. We went from the Doctor who remembered, to the Doctor who was healing, to the Doctor who forgot, to the Doctor who...

And they really didn't properly establish what 12 and Clara get from each other, and why they were together. The Master's machinations were a little interesting, but the 11 calling cop out at the start was crap and not helpful and crap.
Look! A Distraction!