Threads of reality - Clam wizards

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Threads of reality - Clam wizards

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:16 pm

10:30

Everyone
As Tyrone makes a slow retreat, eyes focused on the goblins and a rune at the ready, they speak up- Apparently, not quite agreeing to his speech- As Studies begins the arduous process of slowly converting the rune to a different kind. At first, it looks like he would simply ignore the goblins, choosing to continue, though eventually he slows to a halt. Perhaps actually interested in what they have to say. Perhaps just thinking they are wrong and wanting to "correct" them.

"Erm, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your argument about merfolk being objectively superior is....well, flawed."

"For one thing, you guys are pretty much restricted to the ocean, right? I mean, you can go out of the water, but you lose a lot of your strengths by doing so. At the very least, you're less maneuverable. Because of just that, I'm actually pretty sure I could beat any one of you in a straight fight on land. Not so sure about underwater, but I'd be willing to give it a try, if I had to. And I'm just one goblin - if a single "lesser version" of man can beat your species, then wouldn't the regular men have an even better shot?"

Tyrone raises an eyebrow, before replying.

"Your own arguments are just as flawed I'm afraid. Because yes, you're right, we can survive on land, but we do lose quite a bit... But we could survive."

"However, reverse the roles. Pray I do not give a demonstration-" He says, cocking the rune, oblivious that the goblins are aware of his "bluff".

"Considering we'd live, and you'd die, I think it is quite a moot point. Just because the surface world is more important to you doesn't mean it actually is- We may live in isolation, but the ocean is far larger than land. And there live other things here as well, besides us merfolk..."

"As to your matter of how you could defeat one of us... I said an ordinary merfolk against an ordinary man. That's one thing I'll admit- You are certainly not ordinary."

"However... Put yourself against someone extraordinary of our kind, and we'd see who gets out on top."

It seems Hears words did nothing to sway him from his conviction- Though Hears doesn't relent, continuing-

"And of course, even if you don't believe me when I say I could do something like that, there's also the big, obvious fact that you're completely overlooking. That, if merfolk are so superior....then how did Triton, apparently the most powerful merfolk of all, lose his crown to a ragtag group of goblins and humans. Especially when he had an army backing him up. Plus the Trident thing."

Tyrone gives a frown, though does immediately reply.

"You want to know why? Two things. Firstly, he was cocky and foolish, and hence his tactics were flawed compared to yours. He should have put more men on your choke point, rather than spread them so thin in a show of numbers that the choke point you created lasted long enough for you to focus on him and his men, while steadily outnumbering him. But that doesn't mean that you're kind is better, per se... Even Prometheus stole fire from Bahamut on a day."

"...And the second thing?"

"Well... You did have a merfolk on your side. A sea witch in fact. And isn't she the most extraordinary merfolk of all?"

"...You're totally fucking bonkers aren't you?"

"I am just a man of strong conviction dear. That you do not see the same is your own flaw."

As Hears only barely is able to restrain Voice from outright trying to murder the guy, Cut herself is outraged, "chiming in" herself- Studies meanwhile managed to alter the rune slightly, into something no longer being "haste"- But neither being explosive just yet...

"No. You are worse off. Your culture is stagnant, many of you are bigots, and really your offer is nothing. You are blinded by your ego. And you know what? Being able to live longer means you are less likely to learn new, to adapt. Your people are stagnant in old ways. Sure goblins are weaker physically, and as a whole we do not have much magic. But in the course of only a few days we have became more powerful than your average human."

"Ah, you are correct my dearest- But you fail to see the correct point- We are stagnant because of the old ways, but those are our human ways- If we could only kick ourselves off those, it could solve all our problems..."

"...You're totally fucking bonkers."

"Now if you really think that you are superior in everyway then you are lost, and everybody that agrees with you is the same. As for your threat, you probably have not heard because of your lack of communication, but I assure you that if you do go with your threat and do indeed kill us, then you will face the concequences of the only ones attempting to save the universe from becoming non existant and that includes yourself this city everything. We do not need this blatant bigotory, nor you to stop us and kill us."

"As I said my dearest... I have no intention to kill you unless I'm given no other choice. As for your whole saving the world issue..."

"Honestly... So many... Heroes have come and go who said that. Many times, said heroes died. And we're still here."

"What makes you think you're different from them? This world is sturdy. It'll keep on ticking."

"Of course, there is a problem with you tryig to get away. You see, we have access not only to the trident, but numerous other sources. So answer this, why did you ambush us? You only showedyourself as a threat and you gained nothing."

"My motivations are my own, and my reasons too. Now, it seems that no matter what arguments I bring up, you will remain unconvinced... Neither will you go in on my other offer, so I think it really is getting time for me to leave."

"Now, remember- No funny business. And wait 5 minutes."

"So go already. What, are you hoping we'll invite you to stay?"

Hearing that, the merman finally turns and swims away at surprisingly rapid speed. For just a moment, dousing the area in silence.

However... Studies did manage to alter the rune.

And not long after, there's a sudden boom, followed by a bubble of air rising up to the surface slightly in the distance- And a green mage that can only barely contain a smirk.

The reaction from those watching, from what you can make out from their brief, quick looks, is mostly confusion- Though you do notice one indistinct shape swimming in the direction of the explosion, trying to stay out of sight.

The question now, however, is if you will simply wait those required "five minutes". It certainly doesn't seem like any of those hiding- You're uncertain how many, though at least four- Are going to do anything...
► Show Spoiler
Obsidian Portal

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:45 pm

okay now any suggestions as to what to do?

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:43 pm

"...That was way more satisfying than it should have been.

Anyway, that's a good question, what do you guys think should we do? Tyrone's obviously racist and set in his ways, not to mention he threatened us, and it seems that he has some sway with the other mermen. That said, he doesn't seem outright hostile, just, as Nami aptly put it 'totally bonkers', and attacking or interfering with him could have consequences."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:06 am

Everyone
"...That was way more satisfying than it should have been."

"I'd have to agree... Even if I have no clue what actually just happened."

"Anyway, that's a good question, what do you guys think should we do? Tyrone's obviously racist and set in his ways, not to mention he threatened us, and it seems that he has some sway with the other mermen. That said, he doesn't seem outright hostile, just, as Nami aptly put it 'totally bonkers', and attacking or interfering with him could have consequences."

"Well... We're going to need to take care of him. However, I didn't care much to do it now, because... One way or another, he was going to get away regardless of what we did, if that rune of his was a bluff- Either we would have accepted as we did now... Or we'd have attacked him, in which case his friends in hiding would have charged and stalled us while he made his escape."

"So whatever he has planned, it seems that he wants to get to the city before us... Thing is though, I don't think that whatever he can do there is going to bring immediate disaster. And considering how he now already has a headstart, and those other fucks are going to attack us if we try to leave too soon... We might as well wait his stupid 5 minutes. We can try to deal with him once we get back to the city. We'll ask Alvar and stuff if he knows who the guy is."

"...Well, unless that rune actually blew the fucker up, but I don't think we're that lucky."

► Show Spoiler
Obsidian Portal

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:50 am

Cut casts silence on studies. Sorry, but we cannot say that stuff out loud rigt here. Communicate with connection

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Studies looks at Cut in consternation, before trying to remove the silence spell. If he succeeds he'll tell Nami:

"I'll tell you later, when there aren't possible enemies here. And yeah, waiting the five minutes is probably the best idea."

Otherwise, he just gives up and gives Cut an annoyed look.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:21 pm

I did not see you update more. D:

Cut shakes her head. "No. We can outpace him. Studies, I want you to use your air magic on yourself and Nami. Drowns, I will need you to carry me. I will use my abilities to enhance our speed as well."

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:12 pm

"Cut, we might be able to outpace him if it was just him, but if we run after him now his friends will slow us down."

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:51 pm

"He did say something about trying and failing to resolve this while minimizing losses," Born points out. "It sounds like he's planning on using his five-minute head start to make some sort of move. We shouldn't let him, if we can help it."

"I think we should just make a break for it," he says, looking over his shoulder at the merfolk behind them. "We can easily take them in a fight, and they can't slow us all down. We'll just have whoever is available go on ahead and check out what Tyrone's up to, while the rest of us clean up these guys."

Major action: Head towards Atlantis, if everyone is ready.
Minor action: Activate stealth if combat begins.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:11 am

"I concur. Hmm. I think I maybe able to temporarly give Nami your stealth capability. The problem is that I would not be able to move as fast. Studies, if you can make Nami faster, that way I can spread it to Born. Nami, if your trident can make us faster somehow, or aid us then use it. Born I will need you to carry me, I do not wish to slow you down as I try to speed everybody else up. And when we get to the coty if he gets there before us, I can make most of us stealthy, so we won't run into much trouble and can get into the castle withot them knowing."

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:09 am

"We don't need to make things so complicated. Let's just follow Tyrone now so he doesn't get his head start, and have a couple people stay behind to fight off his friends. They're just a couple of guys with crossbows. Drowns can probably fight them all off by himself."

"If we have the opportunity to choose who leaves and who stays, I figure Hears and Drowns should stay behind and fight while Studies, Cut, Nami and I head back to the city. That way, Cut can defend us with her supreme ward spell so they don't have a chance to stop us."

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:34 am

"Well, if we want to leave then i'm game, i can try to boost the three of us ahead with magic, but my magic isn't very powerful down here."

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:55 am

"I'm....okay with that plan. I can stay behind and stop them getting you."
► Show Spoiler

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 pm

"I thought you'd like that. Let's get moving," Born says, kicking off from the ocean floor and swimming after Tyrone. He activates his stealth as they leave, in case the figure swimming off after Tyrone decides to make an appearance. (If there's no cover for him to use, Born just swims in the shadows of his allies.)

Sticking with my previous actions (leaving + stealth).

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Studies will leave with born, assuming Nami comes along. He wil attempt to boost the party's speed as much as he can with his magic.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:54 pm

Cut shields with ward.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:22 pm

Everyone
At first, the group of goblins seems intent to stick to his rules, and wait those 5 minutes. Though that quickly changes, the goblins deciding that allowing him to escape is probably too great a risk- And following that, propose to split the party, two staying behind to deal with the merfolk, while the others would try to race after him. Nami however, looks less sure off the odds of success.

"...And are you sure you'll be fine? I mean, the whole reason I wouldn't bother with it is because it seems that all delay he really would need was one battle. Otherwise his whole plan could have went south way quickly."

"...Then again, maybe I'm giving him too much credit."

"Fine. I'll trust you goblins know what you are doing- Let's hope we can catch up with him still."

While the merfolk to their sides had becomen angsty at the goblins discussion, their haste in decisions seemed to catch them mostly offguard- Regardless of that fact, soon as the majority starts to make a run for it, swimming in direction of the city as fast as they can, the merfolk that were in hiding reveal themselves- Three showing themselves on the left side, as two pop out at the right, all with crossbows drawn and at the ready as Drowns gets in a defensive position and Hears prepares to jettison his spear through the water. Though the pair of them soon enough realize something is wrong-

They're not firing.

And the reason as to why is soon revealed, as in the direction the majority of the party tries to flee they hear a cry- Such as that of a large mammal. And soon erupting from behind the rocks appears a whale- About 4 and a half meters long in body, but far extended by the long horn on it's head. And atop him sits another merman, riding the beast on a saddle. He appears to be quite old as well, sporting a beard- It is at that time also that from behind some rocks a similarly elder woman appears, bringing with her two large eel-like creatures, both spanning several meters- Keeping a single hand on either of their heads, as if some form of keeping them under control. The goblins are almost forced to come to a halt- And perhaps reconsider their tactics.

"Now, I'd just like to restate-" the old man on top of the narwhal says, though not looking much dressed as a combatant or seeming able to- Though that says nothing for the creature he rides.

"That we really don't want to hurt anyone if we don't have to!"

BATTLE STATUS
Beast Master
Flotsam
Jetsam

Narwhal rider
Narwhal

3 Leftern grunts
2 Rightern grunts

► Show Spoiler
Obsidian Portal

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:14 pm

"Why do you obey those who wish to slay the only thing that stabds between you and the leviathan? Do you wish for you and your people to suffer drastically for killing the only one capable of such?"

Cut switches to creatures they are ridig. "Why do you obey them? You can be free, and we can make that happen. Whatever he did to force you to obey, you will no longer have to worr ablut. All I ask is for you to disobey, to not follow their commands."

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 am

<Fine, then. They won't have to hurt anyone.>

Born slips away from the fight, keeping a slow pace to avoid disturbing the surrounding water too much. If anyone spots him, he fires his harpoon cannon at a distant object (a patch of ground, if nothing else) and uses it to pull himself further away from the fight.

(Also I can't get over "leftern grunts" and "rightern grunts.")

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:05 pm

10:32

Everyone
"Why do you obey those who wish to slay the only thing that stabds between you and the leviathan? Do you wish for you and your people to suffer drastically for killing the only one capable of such?"

"Again, again, allow me to state here, we have no such intentions! And we're pretty sure that Tyrone doesn't have any plans that involve anything of the kind either."

"...Besides dear, I don't think we have anything to fear from Leviathan...?" the woman adds on, keeping the two eels in check.

Seeing little success with the two merfolk, and the other merfolk- Mostly guards actually, from the looks of it- Still have their crossbows pinned on them. Cut decides to try the animals instead.

"Why do you obey them? You can be free, and we can make that happen. Whatever he did to force you to obey, you will no longer have to worr ablut. All I ask is for you to disobey, to not follow their commands."

The narwhal gives a series of cries as response- But what Cut hears instead is the reply of a surprisingly intelligent mammal.

"Man not my father. But man has cared for me since birth. Fed me. Took care of me. Helped me find a mate and take care of my child. I might not be used to this. Or like this. But I will not disobey him."

The eels meanwhile, have a far more... Peculiar response-
"It talks."
"It does."
"You think it gives food?"
"Do not."
"Ignore talking thing for food."
"Yes."

Trying to convince the beasts however, the two elders notice- And don't seem too particulary fond of it.

"Hey look, we can tell you're trying to convince them or something. It isn't going to work, so stop it, okay?"

Born meanwhile, had taken use of the momentary confusion to slip away between the rocks, sneaking away, though he has to be slow for at least a moment to make sure he's not detected, unless now he's past them he'd just want to try and go for it while hoping he's not spotted.

If he remembers correctly, these rocky plains would soon come to an end and open up again to a relatively clear ocean- Once he's there, he should at least be able to see him heading to the city if he sneaks carefully. Any attempts at catching up though, would probably require him to go for it.

Of course, he could also just swim straight up and look out over the rocky fields to try and spot him, but the merfolk would definitely notice that.

Then again... It seems like they noticed one particular thing regardless- As one of the merfolk keeping the party under shot slowly remarks-

"...Where did the brown one go? There were 6 goblins weren't there?"
► Show Spoiler
Obsidian Portal

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:23 pm

"Why do you wish to attack us if we go to the city then? You are fools if you do so. You really think that he is going to be passive about this?

Also, what goblin do you speak of? and which brown one? There is Brown Nose, Has A Shiny, Conquers Horses, Jumping Arches, Unites All, Destroys Grass, Damages All, Moves Quickly, Stuck in Hole, Grabs Shinies, Walks Alone, Incants, Talks to Animals. Speaker of Trees, Protector of Gnomes, born and Raised, Worships Humans, Grows Hair, Freakiesly Tall, Talks Backwards, Jumps over Fences, Under A Rain, Thinks Self as Center of World, People Follow, Will Work for Purple Three Headed Monkeys, Flies By Fall, Seefarer, Humps many, Slaved by Dwarves, Ignites Bushes, Explodes on Contact, Frozen on Ground, Licks Frozen Poles, Hides in Shrubbery, Says Ni, Has Giant Feet, Adores Kites, Follows THe Flow, Makes Mud Puddles, Pukes Plenty."

Godbot
Converses Frequently

Post by Godbot » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:02 am

► Show Spoiler
<Man, poor Explodes On Contact.>

Born takes it slowly and carefully, and continues going straight. He doesn't really expect to see Tyrone doing anything unusual, besides swimming back to the city.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:39 am

"If you don't mind me asking, what is it you and Tyrone actually want? All I've heard from him so far are racist speeches and declarations that he has some amount of influence."

Studies also uses the heart bound connection to warn those who stayed behind in the city (Zil, Reaches, Harley) about Tyrone and tells them to keep an eye out for where the old guy goes.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:46 am

As the others start the diplomacy stuff, Hears decides to distract them from Born's disappearance in a....different way. By raising one hand into the air (err...water?) and lowering the other to cover his crotch, thighs squeezed together and an uncomfortable look on his face.

"Erm....I know this is a bad time, but.....I really need the toilet."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:45 pm

10:32

Everyone
"Why do you wish to attack us if we go to the city then? You are fools if you do so. You really think that he is going to be passive about this?"

"We're not sure to be honest... But the obvious deduction is that he wants to arrive before you guys do. As for what he wants to do... I have no clue, honestly."

"I'm surprised that he's even doing anything of this kind... Or that he is one of the purists..." the woman quickly chimes in.

"If you don't mind me asking, what is it you and Tyrone actually want? All I've heard from him so far are racist speeches and declarations that he has some amount of influence."

"We don't know what it is that Tyrone wants. As for me and my wife... I... We just had a great debt to him. We owed him a big, big favor."

"And... He's decided to take us up on it today."

"So you're jumping in a pit just because he fucking told you to?"

"As he once did the same for my wife... Yes."

"As for what sway he has... He is a hero of the people- Once was the king's inquisitioner. He long retired though, but some people still listen to him."

"Especially some of the recruits, as you might notice... If he says that this is for the best then, well... Some will trust him on that."

"Enough about all that though- How about you answer his question?" the man says, referring to the merman that brought up the question where Born had went.

"Also, what goblin do you speak of? and which brown one? There is Brown Nose, Has A Shiny, Conquers Horses, Jumping Arches, Unites All, Destroys Grass, Damages All, Moves Quickly, Stuck in Hole, Grabs Shinies, Walks Alone, Incants, Talks to Animals. Speaker of Trees, Protector of Gnomes, born and Raised, Worships Humans, Grows Hair, Freakiesly Tall, Talks Backwards, Jumps over Fences, Under A Rain, Thinks Self as Center of World, People Follow, Will Work for Purple Three Headed Monkeys, Flies By Fall, Seefarer, Humps many, Slaved by Dwarves, Ignites Bushes, Explodes on Contact, Frozen on Ground, Licks Frozen Poles, Hides in Shrubbery, Says Ni, Has Giant Feet, Adores Kites, Follows THe Flow, Makes Mud Puddles, Pukes Plenty."

"...How the fuck am I supposed to know what his name is?! The brown one! There was a brown one right?!"

And it's at that point that Hears subtly raises his hand in the air- And with an uncomfortable look on his face, mutters out.

"Erm....I know this is a bad time, but.....I really need the toilet."

"...Are you actually fucking serious."

"Like... Can't you wait just a few more minutes?!"

While it doesn't seem any of the merfolk are too keen on allowing Hears to go do his business, it seems that the issue revolving Born is forgotten- At least momentarily.

As this is happening, Studies tries to contact those left behind in the city, which is only Zil- Harley is there too, but he has no way to communicate with him from distance. However, despite multiple attempts to directly contact him, it seems he's giving no reply. Which is... Strange. He usually keeps "off the radar" always, but he should at least let know something, right?

Something seems to be very, very wrong.

Meanwhile, Born continues on to the city, carefully sneaking as to not get detected. Eventually, the rocky fields come to an end, where he is met with a relatively open ocean floor, and the city in the distance, preceded by some "farms".

But no trace of Tyrone.

How?! Did he actually already get in the city? He couldn't have been that fast, could he? Or maybe he went somewhere else rather than the city...? Finding him would be like looking for a needle in a haystack if that is the case, however...
► Show Spoiler
Obsidian Portal