Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Player Discussion Thre

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:58 am

A suggestion for tools which allows complete control for you.

Tools that we find (aka pre-existing) give us a larger CP bonus then ones that we make ourselves.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:A suggestion for tools which allows complete control for you.

Tools that we find (aka pre-existing) give us a larger CP bonus then ones that we make ourselves.
Reasoning? My initial thought would be that as you become more skilled, you'll be better able to fashion tools that are more efficient than mundane tools you just find lying around, or modify those mundane tools in an appropriately sparky manner. Tools crafted at a lower level maybe more crude, so I'd view that CP bonus or penalty from tools to be dependent on the quality of craftsmanship of said tools. In time, the tools you can make will be more efficient than 'non-spark' tools, but if you are referring to right now, yes, mundane pre-existing tools will probably be the baseline... cruder tools will be more difficult to use (adding to CP needed) while more sophisticated tools will make tasks easier (reducing CP needed).

(Keep in mind I'm still working this out as we go :D )
I realize this is somewhat leading you towards certain actions, but for your current application, if you had a standard set of lock picks, you would need 25 CP to pick the lock. Poking it with a bit of wire on a spool isn't very suited to the task, and while you may eventually be able to accomplish picking the lock, using just the end of a spool of wire adds +25 CP to the task. If you get something better than that, but not as good as a set of lockpicks, it may only add +10 CP to the task. If you built something that is BETTER than a standard set of lockpicks, it may modify the task by -15 CP needed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:00 pm

I am back now but have too little time to read through the huge amount of posts so far, will try to catch up tomorrow morning. Have a nice evening.
:zzz:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Nerre wrote:I am back now but have too little time to read through the huge amount of posts so far, will try to catch up tomorrow morning. Have a nice evening.
Sounds good, Hiero's been diligently studying moss.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:14 pm

Hope I did not miss too much. ;)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:56 pm

Nope, party has made it to the kitchen, but currently locked out of the adjacent workshop area. Attempting to pick the lock.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:17 pm

While i am attempting to pick the lock with the spool of wire, am i also learning about locks? or is this two separate things?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:03 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:While i am attempting to pick the lock with the spool of wire, am i also learning about locks? or is this two separate things?
You are gaining Completion Points towards picking this lock, so yes, you are learning, but SP won't be gained until you finish the task. At this point, even if Ursula makes more functional picks, I would suggest that Sam be the one to use them, as he'd be able to carry over the CP gained thus far. If Ursula were to start trying to pick it, she'd be starting at 0. In other words, you have gained knowledge about THIS lock, and once you've completed the task, you'll have knowledge that is more generally applicable to other locks.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:33 pm

I'll try to come up with proper descriptions of clothing and stuff tomorrow. Been a long day. I need to crash.

Oh, right. Going to be away for most of tomorrow, too. Gabe will be quietly working on his hat.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:38 pm

I will also try to come up with a better description of clothes and perhaps the legs.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:46 pm

No real rush, just feel like some details might flesh things out a bit more.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:02 pm

I won't be posting a new update until after Nerre gets a chance to get caught up and post.

@Alaen - Any sharpening and polishing is only going to be cosmetic (ie, won't change stats of blades), so you're welcome to post something additional, or I'll just count the polishing and sharpening as study time (in 'Blades' or something of the like).
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:17 pm

That was my intention.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:20 am

A further description of Sam:
The clockwork stilts i imagine look very similar to C3P0's legs from below the knee and down. The foot (of sam) fits nicely into the stilts, locking in place both his feet and his ankles so that there can be no bending except at the angle of the clockwork foot which is at the bottom of the legs.

Clothing: The clothing that Sam wears is nothing overly fancy but nothing overly mundane. i think this tells it best.

^A few modifications though. Due to his work with clockwork parts, gears, etc. He needs his hands to be free for working. Thus he typically does not wear gloves or wears fingerless gloves. Otherwise it looks fairly accurate.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Phew, that was a lot of rolling... I decided to just keep everyone on their crafting tasks until Ursula finished making her set of lockpicks from the fork and spoon, rather than spending the whole week with a series of updates of people doing the same things.

Feel free to do something different, or keep studying/crafting until this pesky door gets opened. Although if you stay busy with a task, I can just do another series of rolls til someone succeeds on the door.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 am

I posted something, hope I did not forget or read over something. I know more about what is going on than my char, so I decided to roleplay him according to his knowledge.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:38 am

Nerre wrote:I posted something, hope I did not forget or read over something. I know more about what is going on than my char, so I decided to roleplay him according to his knowledge.
Sounds good. Too bad all the food is poisoned.

;)

I'm beginning to think I set the CP to pick a lock too high...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:53 am

spiderwrangler wrote:-SNIP-

I'm beginning to think I set the CP to pick a lock too high...
Nah... I think it is fine... as we gain more tools and skills such things will go faster... Just mu 2 cents...
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:16 am

Yeah, i mean, although its slow going right now....I'm sure things will improve.

Besides, this is also a chance for you to improve your game based on difficulties. Though I'm hoping that the SP gained by me doing this is insane.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:24 am

Beginnings are always either slow or boring in more complex games. My personal experience at least. But the greater they become later.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 am

Besides, it -should- be hard to pick a lock with no prior experience and only some wire and a spoon :p

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 am

Can i have the spoon and fork in order to get this done faster?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:32 am

Gabe is making a pick gun. The few turns it will take him to make it will shave plenty of time off your door opening efforts, as it may well lower the difficulty further.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:36 am

thats the thing...if it takes 45 CP to pick a lock with a wire...how long will it take to make a pick gun = 20 CP?

But, i understand, i will continue with my wire then.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 am

Well, if we see each CP as a 1-3 minutes of effort it does no sound too expensive. A lock picking can take that long. Know some who have it as a hobby and sometimes it just won't work or depends on luck much more than skill.