Civilization IV: Officially Over (see latest post)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Re: Civilization IV (990.04)

Post by Davecom3 » Sat May 18, 2013 1:57 pm

If you're trying to dispel it, it would indeed, be necessary, as if you recall, the goober put a stop to your spell-casting.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Sat May 18, 2013 2:26 pm

As Reaches has likely the highest Caster level for Dispelling over her granted ability and, along with obsidian, is as well able to fight anything that migth not like it, that the gobber is being dispelled, will of Course do her best to help Rhymes.

She also proposes doing it near the sanctum, because the spiritual increase could help - And the fast healing rescue Rhymes life, if he is shocked again.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 18, 2013 3:46 pm

...I'm going to go for IME.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 pm

CEG Basics
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun May 19, 2013 10:45 am

Davecom3 wrote:If you're trying to dispel it, it would indeed, be necessary, as if you recall, the goober put a stop to your spell-casting.
Because I couldn't do the necessary speaking elements, yes. I was considering doing it with Golden Vision, which is mostly mentally-controlled. But assistance from the Chief and co is probably better :D Thanks Feytala.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Sun May 19, 2013 10:57 am

Eh I'll make a new guy

CDF

Cuts and Mends
Master Bonesetter
Expert Wound Dresser
Novice Dissector
Wanting Mutation: Minor xray vision allows Cuts and Mends to see through flesh to better apply non-magical healing.

Athedia
Of Few Words
UStream Username: Athedia

Post by Athedia » Sun May 19, 2013 12:05 pm

BCD

Culture Tree
Thank you anonymous friend from college who made the cute ninja. I insist on using it as my avatar until you join the forums since you love the comic. Take that.

Okay, she joined but I am not taking this down. Come on, look at the cute.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm feelin' a bit lazy-ish and uncreative today, so I'll definitely post tomorrow instead.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon May 20, 2013 3:48 pm

Alright, back in action, but other things may eat my summer up and I may go off to do other things/projects if things line up as they're shaping up to. We might be lookin' at the sunset of this Civilization "soonish"; it took me a bit to get excited enough to continue the story (I'd intended to have it up before noon, didn't happen). It'll all depend on how the last week of May shapes up for me in RL. Rogbull PMed me and has bowed out, so he's going passive (I'll leave the light on for him but he's effectively stepping away).

The Time Period: 990.05
Incoming Situations: Feathers Foothold Aspect Bonus (991.02), Desert Prey Cats migrate back to the area (991.06, 993.09), Talks in Rhyme is visited by "Other Things" (992.12), Heir comes of Age, Goblins return from the Sand Dragon's Breadth (990.08), Smells Fishy has his sight restored, Yuan-Ti "guests" arrive (990.09), Shadow Cactus Cloth Enchanted, Norf Scout Team Arrives (990.11)

Statues and The Dead
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Passive Characters (Players):
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters (Players):
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters (Living NPCs):
► Show Spoiler
Known Knowledge:
► Show Spoiler
Societals:
► Show Spoiler
Random.org Rolls made:
► Show Spoiler
Towns and Villages
► Show Spoiler
The Poorly Locked Chest, Oasis Hearth:
► Show Spoiler
The Poorly Locked Chest, Feathers Foothold:
► Show Spoiler
Carried within the chest of Swift of Foot: Four Teleport Beacons, Strongbox of ?Enchanted Gold Ingots, Rod of Dominate Creature (12 charges), Potion of Lycanthropy (Werewolf Form) Cup of Aces the dragon is happy to identify some of these things; I'll explain them when he returns to Oasis Hearth or Feathers Foothold
Treasures Found in the Sand Dragon's Breadth: Strange Pink Stone Globe, 12 bolts of Dwarven Stonecloth, ?Opal Dagger, ?Obsidian Primal Bone, one waterskin of Corrupted Elemental Water, four diamonds, four emeralds, a ?Strange Ring of Hardened Granite, a ?White and Brown Robe, six ?Potions labeled "Blackflea Juice", ?Small Occult Book, thirteen very large human skulls, a ?Willow Wand, nineteen very small blue steel rings interlocked as a necklace, one pair of tan leather breeches, thirty demon hides (demon cow leather from the lower planes), Overflowing Adventuring Pack, locked Wrought Iron Safe

In Storage in the Temple:
► Show Spoiler
The Aspects and Experience:
► Show Spoiler
Current Questplots: 0/3

The Situation:

Time to award the EXP from all the dungeons you've recently run. I -was- going to go over each dungeon run and apply EXP based on actions, but in the interest of getting this thing done I'm going to apply a flat 185 EXP to the pot that you can spend next month at Midsummer (same rules as for applying EXP from the pot; the Obsidian Pig was worth 45 alone and you got a lot out of the Sand Dragon's Breadth as well). This month is dominated by three events: The study of the Frostfire Spikes, the trip to the Sponge Soaked Urchin Mines, and the trip to Sembogu Mine.

We'll begin with the easiest, the trip to the mine. The goblins reach the entrance to the mine only to find it sealed by a wall of ice several feet thick that isn't melting with conventional means; you can't tell if the corrupted Zhrindil put it here to seal the Klyenti in, or if the Klyenti sealed it up to keep the corrupted Zhrindil out. You also come upon several battleground where it looks like Rhezkendal and Zhrindil forces met with equal strength, and in most cases, the Zhrindil won, but just barely. Their numbers must be massively lower by now, which means that it's possible you -could- defeat them once and for all assuming you could find where the last few buggered off to. There's no signs on the wall of ice suggesting "go away" or "help" or anything; you're going to have to go through the old fashioned way, with elbow grease and some good mining tools.

The books the Yoodles brought back from their library have been a solid source of mental wealth for Sails (+6 Personal EXP). Sails now knows how to build his own ship, with emphisis on a "viking longboat" design. Other ideas come into his head, including one where the Desert Wind is surrounded in a horizontal oval-shaped wooden hull-shell, with rowers and propellers at one end to provide movement, harpoon crossbows or even Sunfire Wheels at the front for weaponry, and a sail on top for harnessing the wind. With enough work and materials, it could be modified to go beneath the waves as well, as a rather large submarine.

The second thing of interest is the Sponge Soaked Urchin Mines, in which a large group heads out to reclaim led by multiple Yoodle groups as well as Sails the Horizon and Makes Waves. The Lidepkanti presence here is very large; the Lidepkanti are mining the urchins by means of ice magic (freezing the ceiling of the mine where the ice flows down to the mine floor and freezes the urchins solid before they can escape). The Yoodles constantly try to avoid conflict but the Lidepkanti are vicious. There are several fights the Yoodles can't ignore, but each time the Lidepkanti are driven off by Makes Waves' creative use of Hydromancy to "harden" the water and provide shields for the Yoodles to use as rams so they push aside the Lidepkanti without doing much damage. Rather than rage at the inability to kill the Yoodles, the Lidepkanti fall back... for now.

Sails The Horizon and Makes Waves both come out of it alive, but the lower level of the mine has been flooded with a olive-colored water "blob" that sprouts microscopic mouths on its surface. Apparently "bad water" from the depths rises up and occupies normally-sealed holes and chambers in the ocean floor; when enough of this bad water collects in one space the result is a half-sentient corrupted water "toxin" elemental. The entire bottom level is flooded with one huge toxin elemental and if it were to escape then both the Lidepkanti and the Yoodles would have their way of life threatened. It cannot be controlled without bringing the entire thing above the water (which would paralyze it) and laying down a framework of control spells that would allow someone to control it like a puppeteer controls a puppet on strings. The Lidepkanti want to seal this thing on their own without "lesser things" interfering with their magic and are quickly calling for reinforcements to do so. If they fail to seal it though and it escapes, the whole coast here could be tainted for a long time to come.

While Rages Loudly teaches his "sky command" about the Sky Coasters and learns to fly them (forming a team known as the Sky Razors, ready to deal with the Norf threat once it manifests), Talks in Rhyme does a bit of research on the Gooper spirit and how to dispel it without it lashing out. Reaches talks with the spirit to keep its attention while Talks works on the spell through Golden Vision, babbling randomly at it since the Gooper spirit isn't sentient enough to form full thoughts. it responds in kind and the whole scene is pretty funny, with Talks moving about to prepare the ritual that will expel the thing while his mouth is going a mile a minute in what can basically be summed up as "baby noises". Finally the two spring a dual dispel, with a bit of Obsidian's blood as an extra component to give the spell a bit more punch. The Gooper bursts, showering pieces of itself all over the room that resonate with electricity, and Talks' voice is once again his own.

However, during the spell, he had a vision thanks to Golden Vision. Takes Care of Others and Dies Explosively, who both died with mutations active, have reanimated and are rapidly approaching Oasis Hearth. They both manifested in the vision as black "screens" over goblin shapes with red eyes; whatever ties or connections they had to the goblins are now long gone. It will take some time for them to get where they're going though; you estimate their appearance in sometime around 990.08. Even if they do make it to Oasis Hearth, their easily-detectable hostile intent will trigger the mobile turrets at the top of the Briar Dome, which will enable you to know they're there before they get a chance to sneak up on you.

The last thing of interest this month is the study of the Frostfire Spikes. Together with Yoodle assistance and the knowledge of a passing Gluuma shaman, Makes Ideas and Experiments Too Much have drawn up plans for a nuclear reactor "Mana Core" with the spikes at the center. It's an hourglass-shaped monstrosity that has "liquid ice" on the top bulb and molten magma in the bottom and the hourglass is "rotated" to mix the two elements in the center of a Frostfire Spike ring (picture wearing a belt with these huge spikes sticking up and down out of it at equally-distant points on the ring). The good news is that if this thing works, you'll never have to worry about running out of magical energy again. If it fails or the mixtures are just the slightest bit out of balance, you can expect to take out most of the seacoast, Feathers Foothold, and most of the Yoodles.

Finally, Stops and Stares elects to stay put and try to learn more from Sitarivixius. The dragon says that in order for him to reveal his knowledge, there is someone that needs eliminating before they get too much more out of hand. The dragon senses the ley lines of the land, and somewhere in the desert, someone is messing with the geometry of the ley lines in a manner that the dragon finds painfully irritating (an electrical shock, much like a Shocking Grasp at random times of the day). If Stops and Stares goes out and makes this problem go away (preferably by killing the mage responsible), then Sitarivixius will consider him a devoted follower and will explain how he can release the guardian for the goblins to attempt to take on. Swift of Foot accepts the dragon's proposal to make him completely made of IME, and is informed of a dungeon called the Three Broken Skulls Cavern where one of his rivals lives. "You'll know him when you see him, so go kill him and bring me the tip of his tail and the top of his pyramid shell as proof." The dungeon is 3 months to the south on an island outside of the desert, out over the southern ocean.

WILL YOU...

A) Divide your population evenly between Feathers Foothold and Oasis Hearth?
B) Send a delegation to the Gluuma to foster ties or set up trade, showing them you don't buy their "not taken seriously" bit?
C) Pool your magic with the Yoodles to seal the Sponge Soaked Urchin Mines before the Toxin Elemental escapes?
D) Send a group of goblins to the Dry Heat Dead Drop, a dungeon Smells Fishy found on his way back home?
E) Send spies to the Gluuma mine, to learn more about the strange glow?
F) Look for surviving Rhezkendal at the mine to find out just what exactly happened?
G) Focus research on safety for the Mana Core as plans proceed to (prepare to) build it?

kida
Gives Speeches

Re: Civilization IV (990.05)

Post by kida » Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm

A) Divide your population evenly between Feathers Foothold and Oasis Hearth? 0 ()
B) Send a delegation to the Gluuma to foster ties or set up trade, showing them you don't buy their "not taken seriously" bit? 1 (kida)
C) Pool your magic with the Yoodles to seal the Sponge Soaked Urchin Mines before the Toxin Elemental escapes? 1 (kida)
D) Send a group of goblins to the Dry Heat Dead Drop, a dungeon Smells Fishy found on his way back home? 0 ()
E) Send spies to the Gluuma mine, to learn more about the strange glow? 0 ()
F) Look for surviving Rhezkendal at the mine to find out just what exactly happened? 0 ()
G) Focus research on safety for the Mana Core as plans proceed to (prepare to) build it? 1 (kida)

Exp:
Food And Water: 0.25
Home and Family: 0.25
Village Defense: 30
Dungeoneering: 20
Warfare: 70
Tactics: 50
Technology: 0.25
Personal: 0.25
Social: 0.25
Spiritual: 0.25
Sorcery: 0.25
Mystery: 13.25

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Mon May 20, 2013 4:21 pm

BCF

SA: Cuts will ask for volunteers to examine physical mutations to get an understanding of the biological aspect of their changes.

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Post by Feytala » Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm

CFG

All Goblins not absolutely neccecary for completing the Mana-Core-Spell will take a short vacation at Oasis Heart when it comes to a critical phase, until either a) We are informed that everything is ok or b) The Teleportation Circle goes "The person you have called is not avaiable at present..."

P.S. Kida. XP Spending is next month, at Midsummer, not this.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:36 pm

BCF. We're looking at a swarm of enemies heading this way. Building something that our enemies may take from us before we get the chance to properly employ seems a bit foolish. Therefore, I'd prefer not to build the Mana Core until the coming dangers pass.

SA: Smells-Fishy will work on figuring out a way to transmute the Chaotic magic around Oasis Hearth into usable elemental energy for the Briar Bracers..

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Swift nods and goes out to do what the dragon asked him to do, going south. With or without Stops.

Ma: attempt to find out what this body can do while traveling.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon May 20, 2013 4:49 pm

C, F, G

Sails is really concerned about the mana core, since it could take out his town, and essentially everything he has worked for for years. He still allows them to continue, but tells them to be very careful or being blown to bits will be the least of their troubles.

However, all thought of the mana core disappears from his mind when he thinks of the ship design that he came up with which incorporated the Desert Wind. He uses a standard action to begin work on the ship version that incorporates the Desert Wind as soon as possible, finishing work on the dock and drydock first if it is necessary, but concentrating on making his vision of the ship a reality. He and the Talon help in the construction as much as they can.

OOC:By the way, did you ever tell me what Sails' magical powers ended up being? I know he has some from his FH journey with Reaches, but i can't really roleplay or use them when i don't know what they are.

D34dlock
Is Heard Often

Post by D34dlock » Tue May 21, 2013 12:21 am

A,C,G
I'm still reading shifters.

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue May 21, 2013 12:55 am

CFG

SA: Waves will help with construction of Sails' sailing ship, specifically, trying to enchant the hull to cut through the water at supernatural speed.
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am

Stops will gladly go and kill whoever or whatever is interfering with the dragon. Or, if swift wishes he will go with swift to kill the dragon. (mindset of, two heads is better than 1)

A, F, G

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 21, 2013 5:23 am

Of course I would like you to join. Then I can help with your thing. :)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue May 21, 2013 6:19 am

This^

First we will travel to kill the dragon in payment for swift becoming fully IME then we can take out the mage.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 am

madmartin26 wrote:OOC:By the way, did you ever tell me what Sails' magical powers ended up being? I know he has some from his FH journey with Reaches, but i can't really roleplay or use them when i don't know what they are.
I always regulated them to "fluff", which is why. Nothing spectacular. If you think he can do it given his skills and such, try it as an SA and I'll roll for it. Stuff'll probably be in the 80+ range but given Sorcery 7... *shrug*

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Alright, sorry I wasn't around today to post, was off in RL and off playing Bloodbowl league games (ironically with my team called the Rhezkendal Razors). Post tomorrow for sure.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 pm

Blah. Got so busy I barely have time to even think about the next post, let alone begin to write it.

I think I'm just going to officially pause. I did infer in the last post that things may be slowing down / this in its sunset, but rather than leave it hanging I'm going to hiatus it until the end of the summer and see where I am from there. Not giving up on it, we have way too many threads (the Norfs, Yoodles, Lidepkanti, Klyenti, dragons, chaos in the desert, Midnight Flash, etc etc etc) that are still unresolved. I know, I know, my track record for "finishing" these things is shit, but gimme a chance. Heh.

Estimated date of return... let's say August 31. Until then, this Civilization is On Hiatus.

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Re: Civilization IV: Returns August 31

Post by CroverusRaven » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 pm

Sooo... New game in the mean time? Who's up for one? I might even take a crack at running one of these...

Feytala
Converses Frequently

Re: Civilization IV: Returns August 31

Post by Feytala » Thu May 23, 2013 11:29 pm

August.

I have no luck with games these days...