Co-GMing: An interview with Nikohl & Badge

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Co-GMing: An interview with Nikohl & Badge

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:42 am

This thread is a place for anyone who is interested in creating a CO-GM type game to ask questions of people who have attempted and have thus far succeeded in this. I would love to answer any question that you may have regarding this concept.

That being said, this is how Cavemen: SotF came together. (From my point of view)

Nikohl and I were both talking about all of these game ideas we had and how much fun it would be to run one but how difficult it is to rely on yourself and your own imagination to do this. (Not all of us are god-like in our creative abilities, like Aegis). I don't remember exactly how we came up with the story itself, but putting it together was fairly straightforward. We put out a recruitment page with a rough idea of our plan and how it would work and then spent the next 2 weeks until starting putting all of our ideas on paper. I will say that we mesh really well, and finding someone who meshes well with you and your game is an important step. That being said, an open line of communication is critical when it comes to CO-GMing. We created a goog-doc and quickly filled it with rules and ideas and information. Once we had enough information we filtered through it and came up with our basic structure.

Here we are a month later, still going strong, and it has only gotten easier. When we first started we were talking daily about details, but now we've reached a point where our NPCs actions flow easily between one person and the other.

If you have any questions on how to create a CO-GM game, please feel free to ask, or maybe if you are looking for someone to CO-GM a game with you, go ahead and post in here and maybe you'll find someone.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Re: Co-GMing: An interview with Nikohl & Badge

Post by LAYF » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:48 pm

Hmm.. I could be interested in this Goog-doc you talk about, what is your experience with it?
(I guess you mean google-doc)
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:37 am

It's useful as a way of both editing something at the exact same time - you can watch each other type and offer immediate input, if you're online together. But otherwise, it's very useful for keeping ideas, snippets of text that you want to use, lists, plans etc all in one place. It's just a multiplayer word document, but we found ours invaluable. You can leave messages in it, "hi I've edited some stuff on page three in red, let me know what you think" - it could all be done by messenger and/or forum pm, but then with a Google document there's no need to look up what people have said and change your local copy of eg the rules, the points system - it's all changed and stored online and ready for when you want to use it, there's one copy and it's always the most recent up to date one.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:14 am

I concur with the above and i feel i should add that it is very easy to use. You can add headers and tables for ease of finding a certain location within a document. Also, you can add pictures into the document, which is also nice and handy.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:11 pm

I can only say I'm glad you mentioned it. I've started using it now, and it really seem to be functional. especially the Live update and one In-Sync document will make much organizing so much more easy. I'm even considering using it for the character sheets in my game :)
-Best regards LAYF

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:05 am

How are you dealing with decisions if something is possible, they layout of the environment, weight, strength, and other variables for the players? Can one come up with something on his own as long if he mentions it in your repository, or do you agree first via PM or in the repository documents?
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:31 am

If it's something big, we pm each other or wait til (my) evening when we are both usually online and can chat. If it's little things, whoever is there makes the decision. We both have similar views on how the game world should work, so we generally agree with the other person's judgement call.