Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:12 am

Don't know yet, honestly. Likely a continuing saga, just like the rest of 'em.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:03 am

I would say that "a certain number" of hexes is equal to a "round" (aka a week)

Example: 7 tiles = 1 week

Cause islands just aren't that huge.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:05 am

Yes.. as Badge says.. 1 tile = 1 days travel...
that way players can travel 7 tiles in a week if they are in a hurry. but 1 tile if they are out to explore...
-Best regards LAYF

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:43 am

That travel time makes sense to me for thick jungle and/or if the islands are particularly big, but I think that if the islands are normal sized then it should take less tan a week to travel 7 hexes on plains, shoreline, or other easily traveled hexes. So, for easier to travel hexes, 12 hexes per week just traveling, or two hexes of exploration? Honestly, it depends a lot on the scale of your maps.

Also, i heavily support staying with Civ 4's ruleset, or at least individuals having their own characters. While i know that it may lead to some ineffectual characters, it's not as if the ineffectual ones are any less effective than the random background tribespeople, and it's worth it for the people who get really invested in their characters and heavily influence the story because of it.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:09 pm

1 tile for one day seems a bit small, though the map I displayed earlier -is- 400 x 400 hexes (with your village at 200,200) because I'm retarded like that). I think I may stick with a week, but given your skills at inventing over-land vehicles, it shouldn't be too much of a problem (especially since I can keep track easier with Hexographer than I could in other civs). I could tell it to make a random 400x400 map and just random populate it but that was 10,000 x 7,000 pixels. Not conductive. We'll see.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:45 pm

From my notes:

Each Aspect has a Base Level and three Sub-Trees. A higher level in the Base Level lowers the difficulty of rolls, while the Sub-Trees add additional bonuses to the roll and influence perks. (example might be Warfare base, with Group Tactics / Single Tactics / Researched Spells as Sub Trees)

Rolls for Experience will be 7d10. For every 7 or higher, the Base Aspect's EXP goes up by one and the Sub-Trees get 1, .5, or .25 depending on if the Sub-Tree in question is Primary, Secondary or Tertiary. So if I was rolling EXP for Village Defense, and I roll all dice over 7, Village Defense gets 7 EXP, the Primary Sub-Tree gets 7, the Secondary gets 3.5, and the Tertiary gets 1.75. If I manage to roll -all- dice above 7, the Aspect gets a +1 EXP bonus. In addition, all Sub-Trees go up one point per month, two at Midsummer and 3 at Winter's Meet. Aspects level in multiples of 45, while Sub-Trees level in multiples of 21. Perks every 3 levels of a Sub-Tree, "Gifts" (Finest Hour strength) for every 4 Base Levels of an Aspect.

Whatcha think? Or should I drop the Sub-Tree idea entirely?

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:33 pm

That's up to you. It sounds complicated for you to keep track of, but i guess we'll see.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:27 am

Actually.

Perhaps time to travel a hex should depend on land type.

Jungles may take longer as you are not walking in a straight line (due to trees)

Plains may be faster. Etc....