Minotaur: 1 (Borys)
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Coming Soon: Civilization 5

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:06 pm

*elbows the internet to behave* No voting yet. Not by a long shot, since if we have multiple race potentials I'm going to give them different starting Aspect stats.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:36 pm

I just had some ideas. The first is to allow votes for choice of race, but for each vote, a portion of the main tribe is of that race (so say to votes, 7 gobs 3 orcs 3 ogres, 70% of the population would be gobs, and 30% for the other two).

The second is to troll 4chan a bit for players. This is the fifth installment of the Civilizations and I want to make it something big, and with the removal of IDs there (as far as I've seen) it's very hard to do a pick-up "civ" that sort of "started it all" in my head when I did the first one.

The third idea is (especially if we pull people from 4chan, and not just /b/... maybe the OOTS board?) that if there ARE so many people, to put a bit of a throttle on actions. Say, you can do an Action two months in a row but then have to skip at least one month afterward. Or if we grow too huge, only like the first ten actions in a month will be done/rolled for, and say you can't act more than once every 2 months or something (since I'm using a dice pool for this run instead of specific characters having a fixed number of SAs and FHs that regenerate every so often). Whatcha think?

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

The OOTS board seems to be more compatible with this forums shared interests. There's even a whole section (meaning lots of threads) dedicated to Goblins: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302163
Last edited by BeanDip on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:15 pm

I'm confused as to what the options are.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm

BeanDip wrote:The OOTS board seems to be more compatible with this forums shared interests. There's even a whole section (meaning lots of threads) dedicated to Goblins: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302163
Reeeeeeally. Intradasting.

Don't worry about it for now, Badge. I'm still messing around with Aspect bonuses for some of the made up races I'm including. Probably dropping ogres in favor of Lizard Men, and putting in some "furry" styled races as well...

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:26 pm

Ok, another question. Do you guys like the idea of a "dice pool" for actions where the entire tribe benefits from the pool and it replenishes every so often (but you don't get personal characters; everyone can have a go at specific named goblins with occupations/skills/hobbies), or do you want to stick to SAs/FHs on an individual basis per character (but you can't act more than once every X months, to give other players a go at actions, since I want this to be much much bigger than the last one). Or maybe a mix of both somehow? I was thinking "after 5 votes, someone can name a tribe member, but anyone thereafter can play that tribe member" since if we have a LOT of people playing, multiple people will want a shot to act...

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Hmm.. I'd like the mix...
maybe add:
10th, 15th, 20th and so one vote will give you 1 action you can "command" a tribe member to take....
or something.. giving people some kind of power, but not overdoing it...
and off cause limit it to "only the first 5 commands are used per turn" or something... so that people don't all command at the same time....

just a suggestion :)
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:51 pm

Oooo furries...can we name our town redwall abby? I'll be a mouse named Marvin, and I'll have an awesome sword.......

I personally like having my own character. But that could be because I enjoyed the roleplaying that we had last game.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:54 pm

IF it weren't a volcano, my vote would totally go to Myconids (mushroom people). As is though, I actually like playing goblins, although I wouldn't mind another race. There was an interesting race with wings in Races of the Wild called Raptorans. It's more gliding than flying for most individuals, but it could make things interesting. As for actions, I actually really like the ability to have your own named character, but have no problem with any kind of limiting the use of that character to a set number of times per year 2 SA's and a FH maybe? I'll really go along with whatever though.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:40 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:Oooo furries...can we name our town redwall abby? I'll be a mouse named Marvin, and I'll have an awesome sword.......

I personally like having my own character. But that could be because I enjoyed the roleplaying that we had last game.
I've heard about the redwall series but kept hearing that it was "extremely christian preachy", which made me avoid it like the plague.

As for actions, right now I'm leaning more toward "after 5 votes, name a character in the tribe, anyone can take control of said tribe member, but each player can only do actions once every X months". Subject to change of course. It just might be easier to have no characters at all, especially if I'll be attempting to troll for players from the OOTS boards...

Right now my two "furry" choices are anthro wolverines and raccoons, but I don't know if I'm going to make them the first NPC races you meet, or have them available from the start...

And Myconids? Really? You, mr. SeeAMoose... are weird. Heh.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Why thank you good sir, and myconids have nothing on quarter dragon quarter celestial myconids that are 12 ft tall, have 4 arms, 4 legs, giant wings, claws and fire breath... because the DM let two xorvinthol (?) Dragons into the gestalt campaign and really wanted someone to play a myconid. Don't ask how it happened :P
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:57 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:Why thank you good sir, and myconids have nothing on quarter dragon quarter celestial myconids that are 12 ft tall, have 4 arms, 4 legs, giant wings, claws and fire breath... because the DM let two xorvinthol (?) Dragons into the gestalt campaign and really wanted someone to play a myconid. Don't ask how it happened :P
But I don't... :? How does that even... :shock: :paranoia: and I thought the half-dragon minotaur I have planned... :shrug:

*opens mouth to say something, both eyes twitch, then he closes his mouth and goes to bed shaking his head* :zzz:

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Personally i really don't like the 'anyone can take over your named character' thing you mentioned. While my favorite was when the characters played a large role like in the last game, i would much rather have the characters have less power(Less FH's and SA's) and still have your own character than have anyone be able to control any character. Having your own character to feel invested in is a big part of the fun. :)
Last edited by madmartin26 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm more in favor of each player having their own character, but I realize had it been the spore-type Civilization that probably wouldn't have happened. That said, I can accept whichever decision you make, even though removing personal characters is more likely to result in characters not having as defined personalities as otherwise.

To be honest, I'd be more in favor of having an action pool, where there's a limit on how often various players/characters pull from the pool, rather than a character pool, where people get to pull just any character to perform an SA/FH to perform an action with, the action pool thus keeping the personalities true to each player's vision of the character they build.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:41 am

Alright, now that we're back... interesting responses here.

My friend almost has the script done for the "action pool", but then I started second-guessing myself in a "Personal SAs/FHs have worked in the past, why fix what ain't broken" sort of thing. Anyhoo, still aiming for the 1st or 2nd of next week to launch; the map program I was using is garbage (doesn't read png files right) and a random map is over 10000 pixels in size, so I may just stitch together screenshots. We'll see.

My idea for the Aspects this go-round:

Each Aspect has a Base Level (which influences the number of dice available for actions) and three Sub-Trees (where you get your perks). A higher level in the Base Level adds dice to the roll, while the Sub-Trees add additional bonuses. Rolls for Experience will be 7d10. For every 7 or higher, the Base Aspect's EXP goes up by one and the Sub-Trees get 1, .5, or .25 depending on if the Sub-Tree in question is Primary, Secondary or Tertiary. If I manage to roll -all- dice above 7, the Aspect gets a +1 EXP bonus. In addition, all Sub-Trees go up one point per month, two at Midsummer and 3 at Winter's Meet. Aspects level in multiples of 45, and Sub-Trees level in multiples of 21. Perks at every three levels of a Sub-Tree. You get Gifts at every four Base Levels. Think of Perks as Standard Actions and Gifts as Finest Hours in regards to their power; Perks are fun to have while Gifts pack a punch.

My idea for the dice action pool:
► Show Spoiler
What do y'all think? Dice pool or regeneration every 3 months with a set number of SA/FH?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:07 am

Hmm.. a few questions...

how "so those two 6s would become 8s" does those 6s become 8s?? is it the 5 Librariomancy points that are divided among them?

If it is.. there is a problem with the system... as the heigher Personal or Sorcery you have. the bigger the chance to end up with 1s after the points have been devided.. as you'd have exponential more dies than points to divide out among the "failures".. and when you start with the highest first.. yo'll more or less newer have points enough to cover a 1.
just a point... if you have, lets say... 8 personal, 10 sorcery and 10 Librariomancy (yes high stats, i know) and rolls a gains a DC of 8.
on average, you'd get at 1,8 ones. so the chances are big for more than one.. and you'd need 45 points to cover all the non successes (18 dices with an average result of 5.5 vs DC 8 = 45 points to little)

all in all... the numbers don't add up.. the higher a skill level, the greater the chance of a drawback :(

maybe do the same as in oWoD. remove 1's from the number of successes... if there THEN is a 1 left, its a drawback...
-Best regards LAYF

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:15 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:Hmm.. a few questions...

how "so those two 6s would become 8s" does those 6s become 8s?? is it the 5 Librariomancy points that are divided among them?
Exactly.

Dice wouldn't "carry over" and turn other dice into 1s. Only natural 1s would remain. If you have "extra" points left over that don't help turn dice into successes, those points are lost instead of being odd out.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:21 am

well.. that then only makes it worse with the 1s..

as said.. the more dice you have in the die pool, the greater the chance of getting once AND the lesser the chance of ever converting that 1 into a success...
-Best regards LAYF

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:37 am

I think you should consider giving penalties to players for unsuccessful actions (like bigger cool down period), otherwise players could abuse the shared pool on dumb actions.
How will you deal if there is only 1 action in the pool and 2 players want to use it?

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:53 am

If there's only enough dice left for one action it'd be first come first served... but I'm beginning to see your point about the abuse of actions. Hmmm.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:01 am

First come first serves might be unfair to certain time zones, maybe choose randomly which players get a chance to play.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:54 am

The more I think about it the more it's turning into an "If it Aint Broke Don't Fix It" sort of thing... maybe I'll just stick to what I did in the last Civ... getting wayyyyyy too overcomplicated in my notes here...

ETA: What do you guys think is better for a scale on a map... hexes equalling days, weeks, months...?

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:10 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
ETA: What do you guys think is better for a scale on a map... hexes equalling days, weeks, months...?
It depends if you want to make this never ending like Civ4 or if you want to have a smaller size and let us finish this time ;)