Did You Know That...?

Home to all current Forum Games.
BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Did You Know That...?

Post by BeanDip » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:26 am

there is such a thing as a pizza vending machine
► Show Spoiler
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Did You Know That...?

Post by Theis2 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:58 am

No I did not, but did you know the bombardier beetle is a little chemist playing with hydroquinone, hydrogen peroxide, enzymes and water to create a lot of heat in case anyone is touching its butt which potentially kills the offender if since it is near 100 degrees celsius.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:09 pm

I did not, but did you know there's a species of ant that has evolved what is effectively a pouch of tear gas in its stinger to fight termites?
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Hay I knew that :D
but did you knew that the little mermaid is a story originally told by the danish author and poet Hans Christian Andersen (H.C. Andersen), who aside from making numerous fairy-tales, plays and poems, also suffered greatly from dyslexia, showed so great en interest in men that modern historians debate if he was homosexual, and has a $13-million theme park based on his tales and life in Shanghai.
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:15 am

I did not! But did you know that the colour pattern for Siamese ("colourpoint") is due to a mutated recessive allele that makes the hair colours temperature-controlled? That's why Siamese kittens are born white, because they are super warm in the womb. Then their ears, nose, paws, tail (and balls!), as the colder extremities on the body, go darker and darker. That's also why older Siamese are usually darker all over than younger ones, and why Siamese in colder climates are darker in the body than those in warmer areas.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:23 am

That's cool! Did you know that whales and dolphins only sleep with one half of their brains at a time so they don't drown (they are 'conscious breathers' which I think means they have to choose when to breathe unlike for us where it's unconscious).

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:10 am

Cool! Did you know that mantis shrimps' claws pack such a punch that they can break the glass of their aquariums? Their claws move so fast that the shock wave boils the water around them.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:15 am

I did! They're also bad at rubix cubes:

Did you know that about 5 humans are killed every year by sharks, but humans kill around 100 million sharks?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:19 am

I knew it was lots; didn't know it was quite that many.

Did you know that if you substitute the sugar for glucose in almost any baking recipe, the glucose turns golden brown and caramel-y, even at low oven temperatures?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:20 am

I did not.
► Show Spoiler

Did you know that the only place you'll find valves in an artery (like the ones in veins that prevent backflow) is in the neck of a giraffe? The giraffe's neck is so long that without those valves this is what would happen:

1. Giraffe lowers head to drink.
2. Giraffe finishes drinking, raises head.
3. Centripetal force is so great that all the blood rushes out of giraffe's head.
4. Giraffe passes out.
5. Giraffe wakes up, raises head...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:18 pm

Did you know that the sum of all humans currently living is larger than the sum of all who lived before?
:zzz:

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:44 pm

Interesting. Did you know that the USA is not the only country that uses the English system rather than the Metric system? Liberia and Burma do as well.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:48 pm

yes, I knew that :D

But did you know that the Japanese language have some 50,000 kanji (Signs) but only 1,945 characters known as Jooyoo Kanji are used in everyday texts? Knowing 1000 of these would allow you to read 90% of all newspaper text, knowing 500 would allow for 60%....
-Best regards LAYF

BeanDip

Post by BeanDip » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 pm

I had no idea. That's really neat!

Did you know that, although there are several hypotheses as to why, science cannot determine for certain why sleep is necessary?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:16 pm

No, I did not know that, I was (and still is) actually convinced that we did know at least some of the reasons.

but did you know that the Nightshade family, e.g. potatoes, tomatoes, devils trumpet and angels trumpet. does not only includes flowers and root fruit, but also, herbs and trees? many of these nightshaded contais Tropane alkaloids, that are poisons to humans and many animals, Thropane comes from the genus Atropa, and Atropa is named after the Greek Fate, Atropos, who cut the thread of life. thereby symbolizing the poison of said plants.
-Best regards LAYF

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:39 pm

I did not know that good to know.

Did you know that Male Anglerfish mate with female by fusing into the females skin.
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:53 pm

Nolandking wrote:Did you know that Male Anglerfish mate with female by fusing into the females skin.
You need to add that the males are a teeny fraction of the female's size and people thought they were just weird little parasites the females had picked up and didn't know why they couldn't find any males of the species. :)

Did you know the Rockies used to be as tall as the Himalayas but now there's a sinking rift working up through North America making them lower and lower?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:43 pm

I knew something to that effect, but not that detail.

(I do, however, find myself questioning the idea that living humans outnumber dead ones. Global population is rising, but not that fast. Just the last few generations should outnumber the current population, never mind thousands of years of history. Let me see... Yeah, here's an article about it. It's one of those persistent but false urban legends passed off as fact, like lemmings committing mass suicide or Eskimos having hundreds of words for snow.)

Did you know that broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cabbage, kale, and brussel sprouts were all created by humans from the same plant? Selective breeding to emphasize different features led to a whole family of vegetables.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:54 pm

I didn't know that.

Did you know that potatoes are native to the Americas, and only came to Ireland after it was colonized?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I did! They were treated with suspicion for a while because they are related to deadly nightshade.
(Also, I think Wears should take lettuce out of his list, and add in turnip/rutabaga).

Did you know that the Liechenstein is landlocked (has no coastlines), and the countries that surround it (Switzerland and Austria) are landlocked too, making it doubly-landlocked.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:07 pm

I remember hearing that, but couldn't remember the countries names.

Did you know that sharks have an oil in their livers that help them float?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:59 am

No, didn't know that. But I guess most fats/oils are less dense than water?[citation needed]

Did you know that Harvey Keitel is more closely connected via movies to all other actors than Kevin Bacon is? (That is, the average of everyone else's Keitel number is smaller than the average of everyone else's Bacon number).

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:34 pm

I didn't know that.

Did you know that sharkskin was used as sandpaper?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:27 pm

I did! Did you know that armadillos can spread leprosy to humans?
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

deathofbarney
Of Few Words
UStream Username: deathofbarney

Post by deathofbarney » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:13 pm

No I did not,

Did you know that the rising average temperatures in the yukon due to global warming is causing more and more BC species of insects being able to migrate there in the summer?
ImageImageImageImage