Did You Know That...?

Home to all current Forum Games.
kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Re: Did You Know That...?

Post by kurik » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Knew temps were rising, but didn't know about the migrating.

Did you know there's a species of butterfly that drinks blood?

RidcullyJack
Indulges in Conversation

Post by RidcullyJack » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:40 pm

Butterflies are creepy.

Did you know that The Monkees band member Mike Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper (correction fluid)?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:36 am

I didn't know that.

Did you know that the first pokemon designed was rhydon?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:55 pm

I actually did know that. Rhydon always was a favourite of mine.

Did you know that you can roughly determine a horse's age by looking at their teeth?
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

Jibjib
Game Master

Post by Jibjib » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I did! They're a lot like trees, in that if you cut them in half to look at the insides, they die :P

Did you know that Bhutan measures the success of the country by its people's Gross National Happiness?
Psychosis is such an ugly word... I prefer Internalised Reality Warping.

"Theis, you can't touch my boobies, at least buy me dinner first!" ~Asks, 09/08/2014

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:23 pm

I didn't know that, but I think I want to live there.

Did you know that Red Octopus bites can be poisonous, and they can choose when they poison something?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

kurik
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by kurik » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:26 pm

I did not.

Did you know that it appears that some sauropods replaced all their teeth about every month?

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 pm

that was not within my knowledge...

Did you know that, New York, is named after York in England, and that the name York was changed by the English when the vikings left the town! It was changed from J├│rv├¡k, meaning Horse bay... but the Norse word J├│rv├¡k original comes from Old English Eoforw─½─ï wich translates to ÔÇÿboar-town┬┤

So what we can take from this is that the US economical capital is full of pigs and therefor called new boar-town ;) :P

*Ps. all the information is real, but hte "full of pigs is a joke... maybe ;) *
-Best regards LAYF

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:58 pm

New york is the US capital? I am not from the USA, but I was thinking it was Washington city. ;)
:zzz:

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:08 pm

Nerre wrote:New york is the US capital? I am not from the USA, but I was thinking it was Washington city. ;)
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:30 pm

► Show Spoiler
Did you know that the English General Richard Howe, who fought against revolutionary forces in America, had the nickname "Black Dick"?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:44 am

I didn't know that. I bet his soldiers mocked him all the times.

Did you know that Printer Ink is more expensive than Gasoline, Petroleum and even Blood?
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:26 am

Yep, I did knew this one actually. :D

Did you know many printer companies only deliver printer with only 10%-33% ink when you buy them, so you have to buy the expensive refills sooner?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:27 am

I didn't know that, but it isn't that surprising.

Did you know that the first bikini was modeled using a nude dancer, because all of the models refused to wear it?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 pm

I've hear rumors, did not knew it was true...

Did you know that body odor was not a seen as a problem until the 20'th century, and the first antiperspirant was a chemical developed to keep hands dry while performing surgery. and Edna Murphey, daughter of the inventor, tried to sell it as antiperspirant but people had no idea why they were supposed to want something that stopped them from sweating.
-Best regards LAYF

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:58 pm

(Actually, original recipes for Cologne smell also terribily, mostly because the people that used them smelled even worse, so it was a "delight" :D )

Did you know that the longest hungarian word is "megszents├®gtelen├¡thetetlens├®gesked├®seitek├®rt" , which is a sensible but arbitrary word, based on the stem "szent" (saint) and everything else is obtained via inflexion?
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:47 pm

RidcullyJack wrote:(Also, I think Wears should take lettuce out of his list, and add in turnip/rutabaga).
You are correct that lettuce is not on the list of varieties of brassica orelacea, but rutabaga (while in the larger brassica family) is also not. However, kohlrabi, which has "turniplike roots," is on the list.

Did you know that phosphorus is used as the basic unit of energy storage in every cell in your body, can glow in the dark, ignites instantly on contact with air, is used for fuel in some fireworks, forms a key component of our bones (in the form of calcium phosphate), and is what gives cola (Coke, Pepsi, etc.) its distinctive flavor (as phosphoric acid)?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:19 pm

I feel like I knew at least one of those facts.

Did you know that the only thing that an octopuses suckers can't stick to is astroturf?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:15 am

Yeah, i hears that recently but dont know from where.

On the phosphorus note, did u know that because it glowed faintly in the dark, coal miners used to use rotting fish to light their tunnels because it was less dangerous than a flame?

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:23 am

Nope. That seems weird...

Did you know that "Pong" was in fact NOT the first video game? There was a game before him called "Space" or something like that.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:17 am

Pong, you say? Did you know it was first developed to be played on oscilloscopes?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:52 am

the first computer game was rather a radar screen in which you could direct fake rocket signatures and let them fly at targets drawn on the screen. :D

But I think pong is considered the first PC game, although it might have already existed before the PC.

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:34 am

It seems that the first PC game is some game named Donkey. It is said to be co-written by Bill Gates.
But the first video game was actually never produced. It was patented under a strange name "Cathode ray tube amusement device".

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:38 am

LAYF just reminded me of this in random chat, but did you know that the British Army have (at least) one dog that is trained to kill people? None of the take-down grab-their-arm malarky, just straight for the throat.

My mate was studying vet med at uni and said she got to give it a check-up once and that it was the most well-trained dog she'd ever seen (thankfully). It was a white German Shepherd, wore a muzzle all the time (just in case) and the command word was something random in German so it couldn't be triggered by accident.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:09 am

That scares me.

Did you know that the Toga was actually an Etruscan invention, and only became popular in Rome after they invaded Etruria?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett