Ruined Kingdom: Post-boom. (Always open)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Patdragon
Game Master

Re: Ruined Kingdom: Desert rats... (Always open)

Post by Patdragon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:27 am

Smugglers have hidy holes dismantle the chest and then send for the Servician.
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue May 02, 2017 2:32 pm

What chest, Pat? If you're talking about whatever container the smuggler used to carry his goods, he was just carrying stuff in a small knapsack. If you're talking about the barrel that contained the gunpowder, the actual gunpowder has been emptied at a safe location for safekeeping, and the barrels appears empty, but you could try smashing it if you're not convinced that is all it contained...

Patdragon
Game Master

Post by Patdragon » Tue May 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Ah I had somehow confused the barrel as a chest in my head. However the guy must have arrived via cart to carry a barrel. Has that been seized?

Might as well smash the barrel anyway but lets do it as if we're holding it in our clawed hand and gripped to tight. ;)
► Show Spoiler
Anger is fleeting, Remorse eternal...
- Karn, Silver golem

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue May 02, 2017 3:13 pm

Ah I had somehow confused the barrel as a chest in my head. However the guy must have arrived via cart to carry a barrel. Has that been seized?

Might as well smash the barrel anyway but lets do it as if we're holding it in our clawed hand and gripped to tight. ;)
As mentioned in the update, the rest of the merchant's goods have been seized for now, and placed in a separate storage room since it was too much to keep in just that room- Inspection found that his other wine barrels seemed to contain only wine, and nothing else that would be illegal.

Also the barrel contained an explosive, making you permanently lose one of your hands/legs.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue May 02, 2017 4:13 pm

Plhht what is a piddly explosion to a red dragon? Nothing. Okay since we have evidence we should ask merchant first. 1: relation to smuggler 2: where he get explosives 3: what does he know about the gunpowder 4: what does he know about the rat bandits, ect

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue May 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Hm... If I had to guess, the equipment is made deliberately to appear as that of bandits, while I imagine they actually serve our enemies. The coin... It could be a sign of intent. Those with such a coin go to the smuggling merchant, pay with that coin. The merchant identifies the coin and replaces their purchase with the black powder.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu May 04, 2017 7:01 am

I think we should talk to the merc first, ask him how he got the gunpowder, why he is selling it, ect. Ask merc if he knows anything about the coin and the knife. Ask him relation to the smuggler.

Time ticks...

As a first matter of business, you wish to make sure that gunpowder was, in fact, the only thing being smuggled in- And while you can hardly guarantee such a thing from only one little cask, you wish to make sure it's not hiding anything else... Crushing the barrel underfoot, as it splinters, dusting just a little bit of the black powder over the floor. Otherwise, it is revealed to contain nothing.

Curiosity satisfied, you decide to speak to the Servician first, having the merchant brought to the front room. The older, disheveled man seems silent and disheveled at first, but quickly turns pale white upon spotting present company- Beginning to panic mildly as he seems to turn white as a sheet, struggling mildy against his restraints as he begins- "Wh- Why?! I already told you, I told you everything I know! I don't know what you're talking about with this gunpowder, I told you!" he said, seeming mostly to be directing those last few words towards the warden, as under the pretense that you're just there to talk, he eventually seems to calm down, although clearly still rather uneasy... As you begin asking questions as they arise. First asking him how he got the gunpowder...

"I already said it so many times, I swear, I have no idea what you're talking about. I swear on my mum, my niece, my grandma her soul blessed be in heaven- I don't." he states, looking around frantically. It's hard to tell whether he's lying and being nervous because of that, or getting exasperated at that no one seems to be believing him, as you decide to push the subject further- Stating that one of his wine barrels, although with it crushed underfoot you can't really show him, most definitely contained the dangerous goods. He seems to pause for a moment before answering.

"If-If there was, I swear, I had no idea."

He seems to be pausing for a moment longer, seeming to be thinking what else he could be saying- Eventually seeming to either remember, or realize something he could mention: "Look, I am getting most of my goods currently from a new supplier- He's offering good, profitable rates, but only sells goods in bulk. I end up buying a lot of those wine casks at once before bringing them here to sell. I'd honestly have no way to tell if any of them were more than just wine..."

You consider whether or not that is something you'll believe, as you ask him the relation to this smuggler- The merchant stating he hasn't even seen this supposed smuggler, so he has no idea whether he'd know them... Before quickly adding that he doesn't recall selling to anyone noteworthy, at least.

So finally, the merchant not seeming too much help at first on the whole "reason for smuggling" thing, either that or hiding his involvement behind his panic, you decide to ask him about the strange coin you found earlier. The Dragonknight shows it to him, some recognition flashing in the merchant's eye as he quickly inspects it- As you question him about it.

"Ah, well, yes, I know what this is... The basic gist behind it off course, and I'm not a part of them- They're just well known back around my home country..."

"Having a coin like that means you are a part of the rat men group, or at least have some business with them. They're a group of bandits primarly, although they usually do so more... Subtly than proactive. They're also known to be mercenaries, if the price is right. Rumor goes that they serve under the command of the "rat king", who goes by the name of..."

"Mortimer."

The Magister suddenly let's out a series of loud coughing, seemingly choking before recovering as he coughs up a little ball of... Black tar? You decide to not mention it. It's just a name, after all.

"Anyways... There's likely more to it than that, but that is all I know about it. Them. That coin, I guess..."

>The Merchant claims to have no knowledge of either smuggler or smuggled goods.
>The Merchant claims he got his goods from a Servician supplier.
>The Merchant claims the coin is a sign of the Rat men bandits.

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 04, 2017 7:07 am

Whisper to the Magister what is wrong, what is happening to him and should we destroy this rat king soon.

Ask merc who the supplier is, where the supplier is and how did the bandit know to get the only barrel with powder, and how he did not know it was powder? After all sand and water have two different consistentlies, even in a barrel.

Ask for the smuggler after these questions.

Yey we get to kill mortimer! Oh wait...

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 04, 2017 7:20 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Whisper to the Magister what is wrong
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Whisper
Uh... Can a dragon even whisper? >.>

I'll not object to those questions, though if the barrels are moved in bulk it's fairly clear you wouldn't notice one was wrong. You wouldn't lift individual barrels.

Also, Burns, can you not call the merchant 'merc'? I keep thinking you mean 'mercenary', assuming you mean the smuggler, and having to wonder over weird dumb questions.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Ask merc who the supplier is, where the supplier is and how did the bandit know to get the only barrel with powder, and how he did not know it was powder? After all sand and water have two different consistentlies, even in a barrel.

Ask for the smuggler after these questions.

Time ticks...

You briefly ask the Magister if something is the matter, and if he knows of this "Mortimer"... Him simply stating he just had a random cough, and never heard of the man before- But that he sounds like a pushover. You decide to let that drop as you ask questions about this supplier, namely who it is, and if he knows of his location... The merchant not seeming to hesitate answering as he can.

"Man goes, as far as I'm aware, by the name of 'Savant'... And he's still at Servicius I'd guess... At my level I didn't even meet him directly, I spoke to one of his fellow guild members- He's just the leader of the place. For all I know he's not even involved and it's just some of his lackeys..."

"As for how he knew how to pick which barrel... I don't know- It must have been marked or something, but I had not noticed anything myself... I never also really handled the barrels personally, so... If one guy wanted a specific barrel, not like I was gonna say no..."

"Hmm... I didn't find any markings on the barrel." the Dragonknight remarks- "It looked simply like an ordinary barrel."

"Well, obviously-" The Magister chimes in with his raspy voice. "Just because it looks like a regular barrel does not mean it might be a different kind of barrel compared to the rest- That seems like the obvious thing to do if you want it to stay inconspicious."

"What you'd need to do is compare it to one of his regular stock... Oh, wait." the Magister spoke, staring idly down at your feet under which you're hiding the crushed barrel... Feigning innocence, mostly.

You suppose you are... Okay with those answers, dismissing the merchant for now as you are calling forth for the smuggler. The Dragonknight takes a brief moment as he disappears to address you for a question.

"What do you think, sire? Do you believe he is speaking truthfully, and if so, what will your verdict be..? Your opinion may very well decide his fate."

"Otherwise he'd be up to the letter of the law, I'd suppose..." the jailkeeper chimes in- "Which... Well, he assisted in smuggling in goods- Letter of law usually doesn't take into consideration whether that was willingly or not... This is usually the kind of crime that'd end with either him being sold as a slave, or a hand chopped off and released..."

As you consider what the merchant's fate might be, leaving it for now as you might still want to talk to him later, you call for the smuggler. The bearded, rugged man is silent at first, giving a smirk when he notices you. Briefly letting out a chuckle as he seems to murmur that the "big man himself showing up earns some respect"... Before being settled down on the chair- Remaining silent.

>The Merchant claims the Servician supplier goes by the name Savant.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 06, 2017 6:46 am

Hold on mercant's justice for now, I have a couple ideas like making a magic 'bug'.

Questions: Why are you smuggling black powder? Where is it going? Where is your rat king? Is this king willing to negotiate terms of service? Are you contracted from Servus itself? How you know which barrel was the black powder one? What is your relationship with the merchant? Is servus planning an attack? Are there any more smugglers in here?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat May 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Why are you smuggling black powder? Where is it going? Where is your rat king? Is this king willing to negotiate terms of service? Are you contracted from Servus itself? How you know which barrel was the black powder one? What is your relationship with the merchant? Is servus planning an attack? Are there any more smugglers in here?

Time ticks...

You have a LOT of questions for the smuggler... Beginning down the list- Asking him why he's smuggling these goods, and where he is taking them. His response is calm, but the inflection of his voice betrays an almost mocking like tone. One that says he very much is aware you're lying, but what are you gonna do about it..? As he simply states he was unaware he had purchased any illegal goods- He had simply wished to purchase a cask of wine for the inn he was working in. He goes on in explicit detail as to how it was supposed to be a peace offering gift to the owner, after a night in the sack with his beloved daughter, and how he'd need to butter him up to ask for her hand... You're... Not sure where the lie stops and the truth starts.

He seems to pause when you reveal you know who he works for, though, seeming to be considering facts for a moment before speaking once more.

"Hmm... Well if you know that, I suppose there's no reason for me to play coy. Although that leaves one matter..."

"What do I get for talking?"

"Well..." A raspy voice speaks up as the Magister decides to do his part- You're not sure if he wants to actually be helpful, is simply enjoying intimidating the smuggler, or just wants things to be over with so he can go do something else- But he does strike a few fear-inducing words into the man's heart.

"For starters... If you talk willingly and we think you're not hiding anything, our dear majesty here will probably see no need to hand you over to me... So I could extract what you're trying to hide in that little head of yours until nothing is left but mush. At which point, well, it'd be a shame that the only thing you'd be good for is being a lab rat..."

"So I do apologize for my interruption. Please, do continue being coy. I am sure that our lord appreciates some sass from time to time."

The man scoffs, pretending to at least not be a little bit intimidated by such words... But stands his ground.

"My point remains. I know that for what I've been doing I'm gonna receive a punishment I'm not eager to take whether I talk or not... Unless I secure myself a deal first."

"So I'd best get a good offer... Freedom and some form of protection at least- Or you could hand me to your mage friend over there, though..." he says, briefly pausing as the man licks his lips.

"Well... One little bit of info I suppose I can share to help my case..."

"Unless he can get out anything useful today still, most of what he'll find will no longer matter."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat May 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Safety can be assured, at least until after we see the use of his information. Freedom is something which will have to be considered after we see the results.
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat May 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Ah so they are planning on something drastic. Safety can be arranged but you must earn your freedom.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 08, 2017 3:38 pm

Safety can be assured, at least until after we see the use of his information. Freedom is something which will have to be considered after we see the results.
Ah so they are planning on something drastic. Safety can be arranged but you must earn your freedom.

Time ticks

You think for a moment, stating that you will not offer such deals in advance when you know little of what his words might bring. He spits on the ground in response.

"Yeah, I've heard that one before. I MAY earn my freedom- And then I'll spill my heart out, and you decide it wasn't enough. I'll rot in prison for a couple more weeks, and then I hang on the square."

"No. Matter of fact is, I squeel... I'm a dead man regardless- Traitors... They get made an example off. Soon as it turns out it was me, I'll have a price on my head- So in truth, no matter what I've got but a couple months left... I'd just prefer to spend those in some relative comfort than wait for it in a dank cell one way or the other."

"So I want your promise... If you find the information I give valuable- I go free."

The Magister gives a groan from his chair, chiming in some words himself.

"Or alternatively sire, if you find such whelp unworthy of mercy... He is right that my methods of extracting takes longer than one day, if you're worried there's truth behind his idle threats..."

"But there's other, more... Primitive methods to get information out of people..." The Magister spoke, seeming to inspect the bandit.

"I suppose he does look tough... Like he'll take a moment to crack."

"Let us say it would take me... Thirty minutes, perhaps."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 08, 2017 3:57 pm

You're talking to me as if I have not been lied to before, pretending to have something to chase after but only a distraction. Besides, I know of some ways to avoid your slightly less immediate death. And be comfortable and without worry of those that would go after you. You'd not rot here or be mentally scrambled. If your information is useful to me you can have these things. If not....Well...no pressure.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

You're talking to me as if I have not been lied to before, pretending to have something to chase after but only a distraction. Besides, I know of some ways to avoid your slightly less immediate death. And be comfortable and without worry of those that would go after you. You'd not rot here or be mentally scrambled. If your information is useful to me you can have these things. If not....Well...no pressure.
Time ticks...

You pause briefly, before stating clearly that despite what the man might think, you consider yourself overall gracious... You already have potential plans for him that'd have him safe, comfortable, and not dead- Assuming what he says is true, and actually helpful towards your cause. The man seems to debate the issue internally for a moment, before letting out a deep sigh.

"Guess that's gonna be the best I'll get. Fine. I'll talk." the man said, before falling silent, seemingly deliberating on where to start. Eventually his first words are not an explanation, but a question you indulge: "How late is it?"

The answer would be that it was getting near noon, your guess on the sun setting within the next hour. The man briefly shook his head and seemed to let out a nervous laugh.

"Guess I'll better be quick, then..."

"We've been hired to do a major attack. For the past couple seasons, we've been smuggling in men to act as a force, and only later came the tools... Progress slowed down with the inspections, but plans continued."

"Plan was very simple. Fuck up as much shit as possible- The more we do, the more we'd get paid. I don't know the ins and outs of how much and who paid for it all, but I can tell you this..."

"Me being captured means plans will be accelerated. They're likely going to act today- At dusk fall, to act while it's still light, then slip away in the darkness."

"We've got... About 4 units of men. Each one will be trying to pull off one task before making their getaway. As for what the targets will be... I'm not completely sure, we had several options still- Although many of the explosives are probably already planted. Waiting to make them all go off at once, then make a retreat."

"Besides just blowing up some important buildings... There were also talks of assassinations on some court members- The regent and that Artisan of yours were singled out as good targets..."

"As for what buildings we were considering to have destroyed... The forges were a big target, theater too. Besides that... One of the gates, maybe something in the middle of the market, something important near the docks..."

"Once all that was done, we were gonna regroup in the Burrowed Rat inn... We have a mage there- He was gonna be the escape plan."

"...Like I said, I'm sure you'll think that to be useful info. Might even have time to try and stop some of it, still..."

>A heavy internal attack is under way!
>There's 4 attack groups, each having one targett.
>There's one mage residing at a nearby inn, who will provide the escape point.
>Potential explosion targets are:
-The forges
-The theater
-gates
-market
-docks
-???

>Potential assassination targets are:
-Regent
-Artisan
-???

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri May 12, 2017 3:29 pm

Gather all the court members together immediately, we, the dragonknight, and the magister will guard them. Send one troop to the market, one to the docks, one the gates, and one the inn.
My game:

My characters:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun May 14, 2017 5:08 pm

((Any other thoughts/opinions? Seems we're lacking some interest... Is it that this special event is not as interesting, or is it simply something along the lines of "what was already suggested works"/other issues?))

((In each case, given no other actions, I will likely just take Dlovers tomorrow.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 14, 2017 5:18 pm

Well I kinda... lost interest? Having to constantly deal with crap (the knight nealy dying, merc doing shady bits, beast rampaging snd now this) with no real reprive is bleh. And how did the magister not even know another mage is around is beyond me.

Whatever i suggest magister gank/take control caster with dragonknight for defence, take smuggler with us to pinpoint locations and travel via flight to locations with general to defuse bombs. Get people on high slert. Gather the whole court and Shield them from explosions/assassinations shilding them with our giant wings with magister casting shielding magics

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 14, 2017 10:06 pm

M0rtimer wrote:((Any other thoughts/opinions? Seems we're lacking some interest... Is it that this special event is not as interesting, or is it simply something along the lines of "what was already suggested works"/other issues?.))
((I kind of fell off with end of term stuff on my end, but hope to be catching up soon. Don't wait for me though!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 15, 2017 1:33 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Well I kinda... lost interest? Having to constantly deal with crap (the knight nealy dying, merc doing shady bits, beast rampaging snd now this) with no real reprive is bleh. And how did the magister not even know another mage is around is beyond me.
That's... Partly the point, though? There's no game if things can't fail, or if there are no challenges that are pushing back against you... And it's not like you've not made progress regardless. You've been making steady progress pretty much all the time. Dragonknight nearly dying was the result of a full-blown war you won, merc doing shady shit has been an universal constant, you literally only met the beast two turns ago (Although I understand it might feel like it's longer)... Overall, I don't think you're meant to feel "reprieve" for these situations because one is just a bad event you had to find a best possible solution to, and the two others are yet to be resolved. And the current situation is in the process of resolving. As for how the magister should be aware of a mage being in the city, I'm not sure why you'd assume he should? Sure, magic can be detectable, but it's not like the Magister can literally smell another person's magic from miles away. He'd need to get pretty close to realize, and does the Magister strike you as the kind of guy to go pub crawling..? :roll:

I do mildly understand what you're getting at, but I think if you take a step back and objectively look what's been done and happened, besides a few tough calls, you've just made progress with very little actual setbacks... And those that did happen weren't exactly in your hands to begin with, they were mostly lady luck deciding to deal you a shit hand. (As well as story objects, since it's naive to think some known threats will sit by idle while you progress... As this event is likely making clear.)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 am

I'm not saying: no challenges. I'm saying there has been a lot of crap with very little breaks. We just built the theater and already it's in jepordy of being ruined, and other members being killed.

It's personal preference, I know. I don't mind combat or puzzles, but I don't like constant stress. I play games to escape stress.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon May 15, 2017 3:35 pm

Gather all the court members together immediately, we, the dragonknight, and the magister will guard them. Send one troop to the market, one to the docks, one the gates, and one the inn.
Gather the whole court and Shield them from explosions/assassinations shilding them with our giant wings with magister casting shielding magics

Time's up!

Hearing this terrible news, and knowing you might not be able to prevent the brunt of it, you place priorities... Ordering your Dragonknight and Magister to round up all court members, anyone that could be considered a target to these terrorists to be brought to your burial chamber... As you'd stand guard yourself to make sure that all are safe. A bit overkill, perhaps, but it surely works... You in fact join in with gathering up the artisan specifically, when you and the Dragonknight notice the spying eyes of crooks nearby... You hesitate little as you cut off their hopes for escape as you erect a wall in front of their escape path, before breathing fire as you turn most to ash in a couple seconds. Those that survive relent save one, which you squash underneath- The survivors captured, for you to do with as you wish later...

From there on, the job goes to your men as you've commanded, hoping that the locations you've instructed them to head to will be the targets, and that you may stop them... Regrettably, it is only a mere ten minutes later that you hear an explosion go off... But you take comfort in the fact that it is just one. Not much later you take report from the guards- Seeing how their efforts have went...

The guards at the docks were uneventful, as nothing happened there... But the others saw more action- Guards at market and gates encountering and intercepting units of rat-men both. They did not go down without a fight, but luckily your guards turned out to be the larger force... Some were killed, others eventually surrendered and were captured.

Which leaves the guards at the inn... As you had sent in to infiltrate and stop this mage, he nearly killed some of the guards by fireballing them, before using his prepared ritual to escape... Luckily, while he might have escaped, it left the final unit of bandits without a way out- And they too, soon got captured as they tried to return to the inn.

Their mission had been successful, however... Blowing up the forges with several barrels of black powder- Repairs will likely be needed before it is fully operational once more...

>You thwarted the assassination on the Artisan!
>You thwarted a bomb attempt on the market!
>You thwarted a bomb attempt on the gates!
>The forges got damaged!
>The inn suffered minor damage.
>The mage escaped!
>You captured hostile rat-men!
>You acquired several barrels of black powder.
>Time passes...

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon May 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Interrigate rat men why they attack us. And give Smuggler a choice. A life of More Freedoms, but with more possiblities of being assasinated. Or a life of fewer freedoms but no possiblities of being assassinated.