Ruined Kingdom: Post-boom. (Always open)

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Ruined Kingdom: Post-boom. (Always open)

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:00 am

Hello everyone! I asked on the interim threads what game you guys would most likely want to see, and this is it.

It is a game heavily inspired on Notion's old game over at the keenspot forums, Beware of king. Whilst this game will hardly be "exactly" the same, there will be many similarities. Such as "stealing" the art for example. It's nice.

Without further adue- Let us get started.

It is dark. Peaceful. Yet something tugs at you from deep in your sleep- As if something went horribly wrong. Rummaging in your sleep, you hit one of the pillars standing beside your resting place. As it crashes down it is finally enough to wake you from the deep slumber. But what you see can't possibly have been caused solemnly by you knocking over the one pillar- Much of the castle, even these deeper underground parts seems to lie in rubble- The large pathway that you once used to descend into depths for your rest mostly collapsed.

You were alone. As you were thinking what could possibly have caused this, however, you faintly heard the sound of others-

"How deep did this tunnel go?! I've been digging for weeks."
"It is not much farther."
"You are one to say! You haven't moved a finger!"

Your claw lunges at the rubble separating you from the voices- With a few good hits managing to remove the boulders out of the way, as a passageway, seemingly "molten" out of the loose rubble is revealed- Alongside two figures.

"Ah... So you are awake." One says, seemingly disfigured as his skin seemed to peel away from his bones- Besides that, he was dressed in exquisite clothing, though covered in dirt and gravel from his efforts at creating the passageway. He rattles his throat seemingly wanting to continue as heÔÇÖs interrupted by the other rushing ahead of him- A female carrying armor you vaguely remember. A dragon knight.

My lord Forgive me, for I have failed to fulfill the task you had bestowed upon our order. Do with me as you choose fit.
Ah. You remember founding the order of the Claw before you went to your extended sleep- Their primary goal was, of course, to serve your best interests. But as your best interests at the time was the kingdom you handed to the self-appointed royalty, you suppose their goal was to help protect said kingdom. A versatile force they are- Trained to be strong-minded, thinkers, not to mention great warriors. Which makes the fact she failed all the more worrisome.

Oh get up! You did not force me to dig this tunnel just so you can sacrifice yourself as bait! the other interrupts her snarling, before turning to you, suddenly with far calmer voice. Of course forced is a big word sire I admit that I saw the situation as a bit too dire to consider such arduous work at first But that does not mean that Im not loyal to you, and now that weve found you we can arrange what should happen next, dont we?

You may call me the Magister. But to business- You see, the kingdom is in a bit of a peculiar situation at the moment he says with a more mocking tone, pausing a brief moment before continuing.

ÔÇ£You see, we have no kingdom.ÔÇØ
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Ruined Kingdom: All is rubble

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:14 am

"Explain."

DoubleFried
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by DoubleFried » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:49 am

"How exactly have you failed the task I bestowed upon you and your brethren, Dragonknight?"
It's canon.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 am

Oh, I forgot to mention- I'll try to update at least once per day, at the very least once/2 days if I'm busy. Though I might update more often for the next few days to get the ball rolling. Meaning I'll probably do a quick update in two hours or so when I'm home. :)

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 am

Explain. And tell me how much time have passed since I fell asleep.
Your life won't be in danger if we have to start anew.
Last edited by Alavar on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:29 am

"I MAY call you Magister, MAY I? Do not be so presumptuous tiny mortal, for it is very early and I have only just woken up. Now explain yourselves. If I have to go and see what has happened for myself I am unlikely to be careful about where I stand..."

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:42 pm

Dusk9 wrote:"Explain."
Alavar wrote:Explain. And tell me how much time have passed since I fell asleep.
Your life won't be in danger if we have to start anew.
thinkslogically wrote:"I MAY call you Magister, MAY I? Do not be so presumptuous tiny mortal, for it is very early and I have only just woken up. Now explain yourselves. If I have to go and see what has happened for myself I am unlikely to be careful about where I stand..."

The Magister's face turns to a frown, looking a bit weird if not scary due to his condition as he speaks on a sarcastic tone: "Oh, I do apologize! I seem to have forgotten about the fact you have only just woken up! I forgot to put on my sweetest voice and call out "wake up sunshine"! Shall I just perhaps leave until your morning mood is gone?"

Not bothering to wait for an answer he immediately continued on a more serious tone: "I spent two weeks of disintegrating rocks to even reach you. Now if we can put such trivialities behind us... Let us see. I believe there have been at least four different generations of nobility, and with any of them ranging from thirty to fifty years I would guess you have been sleeping for about... 150 years."

"That is hadly of matter in the current situation however..." He continued, briefly pausing as a gargle went up his throat "As you may see, most of the city lays in ruins... In fact, I may believe it will be a tiny bit difficult for you to go out and look as you would." The magister says on a slightly mocking tone, gesturing towards the piles of rubble blocking the way to the outside world- Besides for the small tunnel he had "molten" out of the rock.

"The surface doesn't look much better. But I guess your probably dying to know what is the cause of this. A large siege by the kingdom Umilicien. Now the silver lining is that they were not necessarily out for our lands or people. This was more a case of... Personal revenge. Does the name Darilcoth sound familiar to you?"

Ah, the name sounds more then familiar to you... A cowardly bronze-spined dragon. When you were younger, years still before you founded this kingdom there had been heavy dispute between you and him. When you eventually managed to confront him face to face, after many attempts of him to evade that moment you defeated him. You spared his life that day- Leaving him the much worse punishment of humiliation.

"Anyways, I'm not sure how the military messed up this badly. But many of the citizens managed to get away, and they scattered themselves throughout our land. I suppose some of these... Tribes have elected new leaders, but none such as you of course. If I may suggest- Getting the population back in line for rebuilding the city- As well as getting you out of this peculiar position, should be highest priority. If you let me do as I please to achieve this goal, you have my promise I will make sure we will at least have our people back very soon."

>The Magister offers to "make sure" the scattered populace is brought back under your control.
>The Magister may provide other magical feats if you so wish
>The Magister's patience is typical
>The Magister despises the dragon knight

>The Magister is less patient then most. Whilst he will obey any command, repeated actions he deems below him may make him ignore your commands and do as he pleases instead.

DoubleFried wrote:"How exactly have you failed the task I bestowed upon you and your brethren, Dragonknight?"

"I have failed in every possible way my lord. At first we underestimated the threat of Umilicien. Then we mistook what his forces truly were- A distraction. His main force sent through his navy, taking the long route around the crimson sea. Our army was mostly occupied on the southern borders, it being far too late when we realized they were also pushing from the northern seaside border..."

"Finally, I stand here before you. The rest of my kin has fallen in battle protecting the kingdom as was our duty."

"My lord, my failure has been too great to ask for forgiveness. Rather I ask that you command upon me your will, so that perhaps one day I may have made up for my failure."

>The Dragonknight's patience is elevated.
>The Dragonknight is neutral towards the Magister

>The dragonknight is especially loyal - Her patience will not go below ordinary unless you do something to intentionally hurt her.

>The dragonknight, whilst unrenowned in combat prowess, combat strategies and capable of coming up with unique solutions to problems, is more fit to tackle "physical problems" then anything else.

>The population is scattered!
>You are currently trapped!
>The Magister is available.
>The dragonknight is available.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

"And what task do you wish for, Dragonknight?"

"Magister... Go and gather my people, but be discrete. We should keep my awakening a secret from our enemies until we can choose a time to strike back at them and have our vengeance."

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Oh, and Magister, before you leave, what assistance could you offer me so that i might make my way from this hole in which i find myself trapped.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm

thinkslogically wrote:"And what task do you wish for, Dragonknight?"
"Anything you wish my lord. I am however a force of combat... While I have not seen the current state of the kingdom and it's people at closer hand, I fear that it's current state may have lead to banditry. I am also uncertain about what our neighboring countries are planning after the destruction. I will also be available to protect anyone you deem necessary."

>The dragonknight may scout the lands for bandits to capture/kill.
>The dragonknight may scout the borders to receive intel about the neighbouring kingdoms.
>The dragonknight may also provide protection to any other member of the court.

BadgeAddict wrote:Oh, and Magister, before you leave, what assistance could you offer me so that i might make my way from this hole in which i find myself trapped.
The Magister stares at you for a few moments, seemingly trying to say "You have to be joking me." with his mind. Eventually, with annoyed tone he replies: "Well, I suppose that instead of spending my magical prowess more usefully, I could spend an entire season disintegrating rock up until the point the passage has been cleared enough for you to get out... My sire."

>The Magister may spend a season trying to tunnel you out."
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I reckon we should let the magister get on with gathering minions subjects for now. They can help with the digging later if need be, but for now I don't think it's wise to be seen outside.

I vote for the dragonknight to scout our borders.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Would it be possible for the dragonknight to create more knights while scouting the borders?

Magister, i won't waste anymore of your time, please begin to discretely gather my populace together again. Look in on the capital to see if you can find any of the nobles who still remember me and my cause.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:56 pm

I say we just eat the magister. He looks so delicious! I just can't keep my claws away from his face!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:"Is it possible for you to train more knights?"
"While I could certainly try my lord, the effort of finding a single person with the capabilities required for such an honor is a weighty quest on it's own. Especially with the kingdom in it's current condition. Regardless, once the time comes, if so is your wish I will search for a squire."

"If I had a squad of willing, able-bodied men however, I could train them whatever they would be able to grasp from the teachings of the claw. They would be far from an actual member of the claw, but they would stand far above the common soldier."

>The dragonknight may look for a squire once order is restored
>The dragonknight may train untrained or regular troops into elite troops (There are currently no troops)

► Show Spoiler

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:38 pm

"Dragonknight, I want you to go with Magister and eradicate any threats to MY people. Magister, use her achevements in that field to bolster your attempts to bring them back together and under my rule. And try not to be too hard on them. We need their unquestioning loyality more than anything else now. Not to mention anyone that could ascend to leadership in such conditions is bound to be great material for my new nobility"

>The dragonknight: scout the lands for bandits to capture/kill.
>The Magister offers to "make sure" the scattered populace is brought back under your control.

Meanwhile, I look over rubble to find any weak spot that would let me free myself. Maybe feat of dragon strenght would be appropriate? Fire breath to melt rocks? Display of dragon magic to achieve in one outburst what Magister can do in one season?
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Perhaps now is the time to wait and plot rather than take action.

Perhaps the dragonknight should scout out the immediate area and dispatch any enemy spys that may be lurking in the area. Secrecy of my awakening is our only element of surprise.

PSychotic
Of Few Words

Post by PSychotic » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:26 pm

We should, uhhh still eat the magister. I say that we should lick our chops and eye him. Voraciously.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Perhaps it would be possible to leave those bandits we find alive. Seeing as remaining hidden is to our benefit, a few of those bandits that already make their living by stealth would prove beneficial, especially if we show them what will happen if they fail us.

Further, which magical schools do you favor, Magister? I would prefer not to waste both your and my time asking you to do magical feats in areas you find most unfit for your talents.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:51 am

The dragonknight: scout the lands for bandits to capture/kill.
Davecom3 wrote:Perhaps it would be possible to leave those bandits we find alive. Seeing as remaining hidden is to our benefit, a few of those bandits that already make their living by stealth would prove beneficial, especially if we show them what will happen if they fail us.

"Very well my lord. I shall depart immediately, trying my best to capture as much as possible. I will not rest before every last bandit has been found." She says, briefly bowing before hastily departing.

>The dragonknight will scour the lands for bandits to try and capture.
Alavar wrote:Magister, use her achevements in that field to bolster your attempts to bring them back together and under my rule. And try not to be too hard on them. We need their unquestioning loyality more than anything else now. Not to mention anyone that could ascend to leadership in such conditions is bound to be great material for my new nobility"
BadgeAddict wrote:Magister, i won't waste anymore of your time, please begin to discretely gather my populace together again. Look in on the capital to see if you can find any of the nobles who still remember me and my cause.
"Magister... Go and gather my people, but be discrete. We should keep my awakening a secret from our enemies until we can choose a time to strike back at them and have our vengeance."
Further, which magical schools do you favor, Magister? I would prefer not to waste both your and my time asking you to do magical feats in areas you find most unfit for your talents.

The magister briefly releases a smirk, before stating on a more pleased tone then usual: "Good choice my liege. No worries, I will make sure you will have your people back very soon. And of course, I won't be too rough- We still need them to be useful, after all."

"Considering my skills, you will find that I am trained in virtually any school of magic my liege... That being said, I do not truly excel in any single one. I would consider my skills best at, ah... Transmutation. Conjuration. Domination. And destruction."

>The Magister has left to gather the people back for the kingdom.

>Time passes...

DoubleFried
Poorly Locked Patron
Poorly Locked Patron

Post by DoubleFried » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:01 am

We must see if there is a way to dig us out of the rubble, or at least get a little bit more space.
It's canon.

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 am

Meanwhile, I look over rubble to find any weak spot that would let me free myself. Maybe feat of brutish, unsophisticated dragon strenght would be appropriate? Fire breath to melt rocks? Display of dragon magic to achieve in one outburst what take Magister whole season to accomplish?

[In other words - what can I do. I=dragon. Or should we speak of him in second or third person? ]

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 am

Relax...Spread your presence outward from your body sensing the stone and rubble surrounding you. Examine the tunnel leading down to you and the space surrounding you and try to determine measurements. Test the remaining pillars gently, you wouldn't want to bring more rubble down on yourself.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:34 am

Yawn, stretch, contemplate breakfast. Damn. You should have asked them to bring you a couple of cows or something to tide you over...

Test your strength by attempting to move large boulders from the rubble. After 150 years asleep it would stand to reason that you're a bit out of condition.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm

>It is the 306th year after slumber.

>It is Spring.

Waiting for your only two loyal servants to return, you spend some time stretching and seeing about your current situation and abilities. You find yourself perhaps slightly weakened due to your sudden wake-up, but it should hardly be of effect, as you should be back to full strength within a season or two. Sadly there is little room to properly stretch- Whilst the room has been made big enough for you to turn around in, you can only barely stretch your wings. You can swear this place was slightly bigger before. What unfortunate time for a growth spurt. Or perhaps that just has to do with the minor cave-ins. It's probably that really.

Speaking of which, you gave your own attempt at dislodging some of the rubble, finding most of it not to be of trouble for your dragon strength- But realize the other potential problems such brute force causes, as you manage to cause another slight cave-in destroying what progress you had made. There's also the problem you actually have to bring the rocks somewhere- And you fear there is little enough space in your little resting place as is.

At least your dragonfire is still fine you think as you spout a huge spout of fire. But it doesn't mean that it would be of much use in your immediate situation. As for magic... As a dragon you should have access to powerful magic- But you never did quite get the grasp of it even before you went to your slumber.

In the end, all you could do was wait for your servants to return. And regret the fact you did not instruct them first to bring a sacrifice of some sort.

"I have returned my lord. As I had suspected, the lands were indeed ripe with banditry. I have however been successful in taking down what I believe being the majority of these groups. Those that did not force me another choice have been captured and placed in one of the still intact dungeons, as you requested. Their fate lies in your hands."

"I have also found more troubling intruders then bandits. Umilicien and Rhenovian spies. At your command, I will make sure either of them will tell me truthfully all they know."

"The Rhenovians however were neutral to us before the attack. I fear their intrusion means they desire to take our land, but solely because they believe you to be dead my liege. What happens to them is at your will."

>The Dragonknight has captured 4 units of bandits
>The dragonknight has captured one unit of Umilicien spies
>The dragonknight has captured one unit of Rhenovian spies
>The prisons are overfull!

>The Dragonknight's patience remains elevated

About a week after the Dragonknight's arrival the Magister returns, smiling with fleshless lips. "Greetings sire! I think you will be happy to know that I have returned from my task, mostly successful." He says, his grin fading for a moment before he continues. "Most of the population has been moved to settle back into the capital sire. While it may not be in the best state as of current, I'm sure they will manage. At the very least it is clear to them it would be certainly unwise to oppose your rule." He finishes as the grin is now completely wiped of his face. "That being said, even with the necessary... Persuasion, some of these small tribes refused to listen to reason. I would consider getting rid of them as soon as possible. They might not form a problem yet, but they are clearly uncontrollable and might become a problem later."

"Anyways!" He says, turning straight back to you in an attempt to quickly move on from the particular subject. "Now we have the beginnings of our kingdom back, we should focus on getting you out of here, and the renovation of the capital, no? I think I might just have the guy here-" He says, turning back to the outhewn passageway, grabbing a man and bringing him to you, before pushing him in your general direction, as he almost stumbles and falls.
"He looked crafty."

>The magister returned most of the population and workforce to the capital.
>The population is in revolt!
>The revolt is suppressed by fear for the magister!
>The magisters patience has risen.
>The magisters patience is now high.

The man stumbles for a moment, stuttering- Eventually, looking down at the floor instead of at you, he manages to bring out. "M- My lord. I have seen the damage to the city. I believe you need someone to help guide it's reconstruction. I believe that I could be of assistance with that." As he finishes he looks up at you for a brief moment, before immediately looking away again. While you have no doubt the man speaks truth... You are also sure he does so more out of fear than anything else.

>The artisan fears you!
>The artisan does not currently trust you!

>The artisan is specialized in crafts of all kind- From the simple art of painting and pottery to the construction of monuments and large buildings, in all of which he seems to be masterful. He is also the closest your kingdom currently has to what could be considered a person in management of trading.

>The city lays in ruins!
>You are trapped!
>Rhenovia may desire your land!

>The Dragonknight is available.
>The Magister is available.
>The Artisan is available.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:40 pm

DragonKnight i praise you for your efforts in freeing the land of the majority of bandits. Due to the prisons being so full, bring the weakest half of the bandits you have captured to me as food. (chuckles to self - bandits will make a good food supply for now). Rip out the tongues of the other half of the bandits and bring them here with picks so that they may begin to create a tunnel to the surface for me. By ripping out their tongues they will not be able to speak of my awakening.

After this Dragonknight; go to the capital and begin to seek candidates for our military. Raise defenses in the capital and create a route in which they can patrol so that bandits and spies are not able to slip so easily past our borders.

My loyal subject Magister; I am quite pleased with your efforts at bringing together my people. The tribes are revolting you say, what do you think will persuade them otherwise?

(use your smooth voice) As for you Artisan, I am pleased that one with such skill as yourself has survived the recent...problems...

What are the state of trading merchants at the moment?
What buildings in the capital are salvageable and what will need to be rebuilt?
What of the barracks and city walls?