Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:14 pm

the (A or E) thing is known, but what if other letters can also be one or the other? like U and O

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:09 pm

You're on the right track. Fluke I mentioned was that Suul managed to follow the cypher. I don't want to discourage that path since it is the right one. Suul can = good but suul was not meant to follow the cypher.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:57 pm

Oh, so it's a name like Vellech?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:50 pm

Don't want to give away too much, so not going to give any more info on that =p. You guys are doing good, though.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:25 pm

We're in the home stretch for christmas holidays. No risk of penalties if you are unable [or unwilling, cause xmas!] to respond until new years day. I will post as able for those who wish to keep up RP.

I hope everyone is enjoying the game/story so far. Expect things to get more tense after new years, your road to survival and discovery has just begun.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 am

A friend plugged the new language sentences into an artificial voice program and played it for me. I was surprised and pleased to discover it sounds like an actual language. Sort of native-american indian esque.

http://www.acapela-group.com/ plug it in here and pick the will bad guy option for the best sounding one [imo]

It kind trips up on the tw bit, though.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:26 am

Sorry for delays, but with the holidays comes family drama and having to be the mature/sane person for my parents and i'm mentally exhausted of late. I have today [friday] off and after taking care of rent and some other errands my plan is to work up the post for you guys. We're still on a holiday "break" phase so no worries till new years day about being expected to post regularly [well, you guys. I want to post as much as I can for you guys.]

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:43 pm

Sorry to hear that, Mereneth. :( I hope your problems are over by now.

In any case: Happy new year to everyone. May 2017 be a better year than 2016! :confetti:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:00 pm

Sorry for delays, we'll be back on a normal posting schedule now.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:05 pm

So, I guess Fey is gone again?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:08 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:So, I guess Fey is gone again?
Haven't seen or heard from her. Her character will start to be at risk going forward.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:13 pm

at risk of? death. So, If hammond, preacher man and Bjorn escape, will she follow automatically?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 pm

She's not going to just up and die right away or anything.

She'll autopilot along with you guys, but since she is not there to make choices the lack of choices made comes with a risk.

Say you guys have to jump an easily leapable gully or something on your way back [you won't, just an example] You would write in you've made the leap, etc, as would the npcs unless one of the stats i weigh things on says they fumble the leap a little/lot/catastrophically. She wouldn't be able to make the choice to jump and would begin to fall behind or depending on prompting I would roll a physical d20 to determine if she is coaxed into making the leap.

Now, if the group decides to compensate for this that's up to them, but will you slow down to wait for her to navigate another route to keep up if, say, a large predator is chasing you?

Her follow speed will more or less match the group she is with, so if you're running, so is she. If you lose track of her because she fell too far behind, she isn't instantly dead either. At that point I will be doing a 'behind the screen' rp to determine how things go for her. What she encounters, etc. My plan is to basically use a d20 again in this situation and make it progressively harder to auto succeed to survive. If I roll a 1 this time, she'd make it. next time she would need at least a 2, so on and so on. I would make a new roll every 5 days since that is the determined post window. When the roll is failed, then comes the possibility of injury or death.

I have no plans to up and kill off a player simply because they couldn't/didn't respond, but I don't intend to just auto pilot them the whole time either.

Does that clear things up?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:42 pm

Where are my players?

Nikohl, sam, feytala?

=[

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Sorry for the delays guys, had someone up and quit at work so i've been doing some crazy overtime and training a new guy. I'll have a post for you all by monday if not sooner.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:55 am

Jikes. Good luck with the new guy. Hopefully he'll pick up the knowledge quickly and turn from a burden into a reliable helper soon.
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:33 am

Uhm, are you still okay?
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:53 pm

That's not good. She hasn't been on in over a week. Is the game dead? I hope not.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 am

Game's not dead. Work got crazy due to having someone quit, then the new guy quitting after a week. i've been working some crazy hours and am worn thin while training yet another newbie. I've been working on a post for you guys and I apologize for the delay, though while this kink works out i'm having to focus on getting through things without losing my mind.

The overtime is nice for my paycheck, but not for my personal ventures such as running the game >.<

I've been taking a notebook to work to write in during any down time and if business is normal for once for a wednesday I hope to hand write out as much as I can. If I finish it up before I get home, assuming we have a slow day [as is more normal for Wednesdays], I can type it up after work.

I hope to have things back on track soon as I am optimistic that the new hire will be able to run solo by the end of the week and I can actually relax a bit and get back to what I was enjoying before: running the RAH game.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 am

Good news, everyone! I hand wrote the post for you guys during down time at work!

Bad news, everyone. I forgot the notebook at work and you'll have to wait till i get off tomorrow night and type it up =.

We will be back on a normal posting schedule!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:42 am

Yay! :) Well, aw. :( But yay! :D
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:08 am

Mereneth wrote:Good news, everyone! I hand wrote the post for you guys during down time at work!

Bad news, everyone. I forgot the notebook at work and you'll have to wait till i get off tomorrow night and type it up =.

Best News: We will be back on a normal posting schedule!
Fixed that for you. ;)
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:18 pm

Also, if you don't mind me asking: what about Farah (the teacher) and Lily. Did they even hear the offer? If so, what is their reaction to it? And the newcomers, did they hear it? And the duckbills, how are they reacting to the arrival of the other raptors?
The raptors who just returned have not heard the offer, When I confirmed badge's choices in their return they arrived on the other side of the foliage around the same place you guys did. They may have been aware someone was talking, but not what was said.

Farah and Lilly heard, but I was waiting for the next post to have them respond. You may have noticed i've trimmed down on how much individual npc view points i've used, and that is mainly so I don't need to invent unnecessary content simply to have them do/say something when it would be fine otherwise to have them fill a more passive role until necessary. This also means I can put more meat into the actions and speech of the npcs I do use in a given post!

The other duckbills will respond to the new raptors in the next post as Bjorn/Hammond/Ambrose were not visible/audible yet in my last post. The air is pretty saturated with raptor scent with all of you already among the duckbills, so they did not smell their approach either.

Since it seems there is some PC interaction happening i'm going to wait a little longer before posting except to respond with a given npc you guys have chosen to interact with. Content post will come a bit later ^^

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:49 am

okay, so I am in quite a match 22 situation here. Characterwise, Lauren would probably have a strong urge to go look after Katherina and find out what happened to her and try to keep her safe, she's part of the group/team, after all.

But talking meta... I don't know if the Feytala (online last on December 4th, 2016) will ever come back to this game, and I don't want to babysit a mindless raptor forever.

I guess I could "explain it away" with saying that Lauren is afraid to go looking for her on her own, but I'm not really happy with it.

With Brigitte (nikohl's character - not online since... oh, she was online today! Cool. 8) ) we might be facing the same problem sooner or later, only she already had made it to the watering hole here, before the player became inactive...

Any opinions on how to handle this from the other players?
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:46 pm

With absent players, the best I can come up with off the top of my head is a bit volunteer-railroady: your character finds themselves unable to commit to going out to hunt them down, even though they might desire to. Can blame it on the main antagonist[s?]

Short of the player returning you would never find them, though.

She isn't dead, but only her players return can return her to the pack.