Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Raptor at Heart - OoC discussion/chat

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:44 am

Gilroy stop hauntin our peeps. You are dead now stay dead.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:57 am

Haha! Gilroy is Farah's evil/feral Jiminy Cricket :lol:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Sorry guys! It wasn't Christmas stuff, but finals. It hit me hard. I'll try to make a detailed post tonight, but I'm getting my wisdom teeth out tomorrow. From what I've heard from others, I'll be 100% tuesday morning, or out of commission for a week. I'll try to post as much as possible/needed.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:45 am

NP sam, thanks for the update and hope your finals went well! I won't count it against you if you've gotta be down for the count for a bit in this case.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:08 am

Eek, good luck at the dentist too - hopefully your recovery is the easy kind not the "zonked on horse-strength painkillers for a week" kind.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Artist I follow just uploaded this. Seems appropriate!
► Show Spoiler
@Badge, gonna give Fey a little time to post before I move more into the kill site content. Since it won't disrupt anything and will at least give you something to read I am going to do some interaction posting for the stream group.

@Gathers, expect email soon :cheer:

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:21 am

In the interest of making things more immersive I am going to give important NPCs and encounters some theme music. Now, listening to the music is entirely optional, so don't feel obligated to open the link [youtube links only]. I will, however, hint at upcoming encounters with recurring characters/situations/etc sometimes by sneaking a link to their theme into a post or two prior.

The idea for this came from two sources. First, a dnd thing i follow brought up how whenever their BBEG was involved they would play a certain piece of music and eventually their players would instantly perk up at the very sound of the first few notes of the song as it had an emotional connection for their characters persona and was a very welcome addition to their game sessions.

The second was from my own method of listening to certain music when I want to change how i'm writing. I depict so many different characters with different personalities etc that it became difficult to not mix them up without letting my mind assign something that meant "This is lilly, this MEANS who she is!" and making the mental transition from character to character cleaner.

I hope that this has a positive effect on our game and gives even small things more meaning and story value.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:14 am

"Eju fp upi trzpbr yjr blood? O lmpe upi zrsm id mp jstz; upi jsbr rsyrm satrsfu."

Okay i am pretty sure that yjr =the if this is the case then a partically cyphered sentence looks like this
Ehu fp upo tezpbe the blood? O lmpe upi zesm id mp jstz; upi tsbe estem sattfu.

From this it seems like eju=why and upi is you
Why fo you tezobe the blood? O lmoe you zesm ud mo jstz; you tsbe estem sattfy

From there we can determine f = d
Why do you tezobe the blood? O lmoe you zesm ud mo jstz; you tsbe estem sattdy

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:45 am

I think he's saying this:

Why do you remove the blood?
I know you mean no harm;
you have eaten already.

That's mostly guesswork from what I read about his "thoughts" in the thread, combined with some letter assigning. I hope it doesn't count as cheating. Also I didn't double-check the letters (as in assign the code both ways).

I'm considering to reply:

O fp mpy eoaj yp syyts?y pyjrt zrsy rsyrtd.

(I do not wish to attract other meat eaters.)

But I don't know the c and the s.

Also, looking at the earlier post, where he said this:
Dysu upit yrttpt! Er jsbr sm easy fsu; yjr blood zrsmd yjru jsbr grf satrsfu.

I think it means this:
Stay your terror! We have an easy day; the blood means they have fed already.

(which gives me the s :D )

I like the music to go along with the post very much. (At least the stream bit. Still have to check out the kill site - text AND music, mind you.)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:37 am

I've got a migraine so I'm not able to read/post today, I'm just checking in. I'll hopefully be back tomorrow.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:16 am

I wouldn't say cheating is possible since i'm encouraging it as ooc puzzles! Given i'm the one making them it isn't like there is an available answer key; you've simply got your brains to work with.

I won't tell if you're wrong or right just yet, Gathers. I want to see the thoughts of anyone else who wants to dive into this first puzzle. I fully expect the harder ones to be a full on group effort and as such I want to encourage that from the get go! Not that solo work is discouraged either, mind. I love how you've explained your thought process, btw.

On that note, I also intend to make the puzzles more difficult as we go. I'm having a lot of fun thinking these out on a varying difficulty range. I hope everyone is enjoying the game so far.

Different subject: As far as update/post frequency, I've said in the past that I would be okay with posting more often to match activity. So, what I will do to ensure a sort of post deadline and also allow for more frequent posts is as follows:

I will immediately start on my next post set if everyone has replied to the npcs they are interacting with, even if those responses come an hour after my latest update. RP between each other is encouraged as you're not limited to one post after I make a post. I'll gladly wait until the maximum deadline{stated below} [or longer, as the situation proves necessary] to allow uninterrupted PC/PC RP.

I will wait a maximum of 5 days after posting for everyone to have a chance to post before I start work on my next post set, excluding holiday situations such as christmas. This has two main purposes: Keeping the story moving and giving you guys an official deadline, excluding special circumstances which will commonly lead to autopiloting.

@nikohl Oof, no fun. It has been a while since i've had a migraine, but I certainly know how horrid they can be. Hope you feel better soon!

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:58 am

So is the shadow talking about "the crop"? Or am i on the wrong track with my solution?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:57 am

This is what I've got so far, but I'm stumped on some substitutions.

Good. They, have encountered cup local Myddynl? They, eagerly look dorberd to hou handle cup from rsen. Cup sets orevous. Ue, cup oeck leader granted cup learned buckly hou eengle. Ti make use of at. Me, montor p keeo nfirmed.

It would seem that the language it uses, substitutes phonetics instead of true spelling.

I think "CUP" is the darkness referring to either itself or perhaps to another (noun) person, place, thing, etc.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:45 am

I assumed the letters for "cup" were "the", but I didn't actually look into it in too much detail. And with "mon" being "the", nothing else really works :lol: The "ae" being both a and e is the only thing that stood out to me when I briefly looked at the cipher on my phone, so replacing it with an unused letter (I chose "r") and then working the cipher out from there seems like a plan. I did get that middle sentence as "eagerly look forward" or something like that too, though - it just seems right.

Brute forcing it gets me the same basic text as you, Badge.

It seems like the sentence structure is different than ours - the subject of the sentence is at the front and followed by a comma. "They, have encountered..." "Me, monitor keep informed"

Cup might be ...pack, or something. "Good, they have encountered a local pack, (Name)? I eagerly look forward to how they handle the pack for themselves. Pack (something), pack leader granted pack learned quickly the jungle; you make use of it. Monitor and keep me informed"

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:43 pm

The pack has learned to speak most duckbill species' languages! [Gathers was pretty spot on] I can continue writing the duckbill in cypher for immersions sake, or write out further duckbill speech in English. Up to you guys! Also, if anyone is truly interested I will cough up exactly how I "created" the duckbill language.

Also, @Burns - First, you know what I meant as far as translating a sentence, and even if you were right I wouldn't be giving you that one on a technicality [Not a bad guess, mind, but not correct.] However, this isn't a dinosaur language! Very cool seeing your process for deciphering the duckbill.

Glad to see you guys tackling this new one, even if it is just plot stuff! I had to write up a translation key for this one for myself this time xD After a day at work I realized just how much fun its been to do this, so I will continue to do these in varying difficulty ranges, though you'll probably not see another for a bit.

/swears he isn't trying to be frustrating and hopes it is simply an engaging process

I wonder what happened to feytala.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:31 am

Wait, so "suul" explicitly isn't "good"?

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:28 am

Correct. Suul =/= good.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:39 am

Interesting! That probably changes a lot. It can't be too many other words, and certainly few other words lead to such a semi-readable translation as "good" did. We'll see what I can dredge up when I'm not at work.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:33 am

Unfortunately I cannot currently offer more insight without giving too much away. This part was a bit weird on a fluke in lore crafting as I was making the language. I'll explain that later on!

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 am

The thing is, whether or not we perfectly crack the code, we still know the gist of the language and if it comes up again, share what it "mostly" means. :D

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:03 am

Thing is, he said it is as hard as a language. That means it may not match up the spelling. Example bueno = good. So instead of letters, whole words are probably switched out.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:21 am

I hear what you mean burns, but seeing as how what nikohl and I came up with, though it doesn't make full sense, it's mostly there.

Now, if it were both a letter cipher and a word cipher, meaning some words are not as they seem...then perhaps.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:57 am

Mereneth wrote:The pack has learned to speak most duckbill species' languages! [Gathers was pretty spot on] I can continue writing the duckbill in cypher for immersions sake, or write out further duckbill speech in English. Up to you guys! Also, if anyone is truly interested I will cough up exactly how I "created" the duckbill language.
Erm, so I think it would be more practical, if you just wrote normal English from now on. For you and all the players, too. But I'm happy to get my brains some light training, if you feel like keeping up the cypher.

As to how you created it... I think you basically just used the key right to the one you normally would use to type each letter. (The z and y threw me off for a little bit, because they are switched for European/American key boards), and I'm not entirely sure what you do for the rightmost keys that have no right neighbour, but I would assume you take the leftmost keys, proclaiming them to be the right neighbours of the rightmost keys (as if the keyboard was a circle)...
But again, that's just a wild guess, I didn't bother to look into it properly. Too lazy with all the Christmas-y preparations I still need to be doing. :oops: o:)

Also not ready yet to tackle the new "suul" guy's speech. But nikohl and badge seem to have it covered, so it's all good. :thumbsup:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:00 am

Pretty much, Gathers. Baby steps in my language gen skills? =D

I also plan to respond to the knife making soon, but between here and christmas stuff and work I am behind. I have friday off so should be able to respond by then.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:09 pm

BadgeAddict wrote:The thing is, whether or not we perfectly crack the code, we still know the gist of the language and if it comes up again, share what it "mostly" means. :D
But we don't know the gist of the language... the thing we both based our cipher crack on was that "suul" was probably "good"... without "good", we have sweet FA. Or at least I do, anyway - I can't get many other words to key into almost-sentences without L being D, and I'm no good at codes at the best of times so I can't really do anything advanced.