Civilization Thre-- Four. (March 1, because.)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Civilization Thre-- Four. (March 1, because.)

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Ok, now that the forum seems to be set up (and I've decided to drop the BigEarsTheFallen nick, since Ears would never ever fall to begin with), I'm going to get back into the business of civilizing this Maglubiyet-forsaken place.

I'm not going to start yet though, as I want to see how many people come back. I know some (Nikohl and a couple others, I think) said they would likely not return.

I still have the notepad file of the previous civilization, but the notes on the upcoming adventures on the desert island have been lost in the shuffle because I deleted the wrong randomly named scrap of notepad I have plastered on my desktop :wall: , so I'd be making up stuff as I went along (moreso than normal), which is why I want to start a new Civilization thread flat out with the same rules as the last one.

I also want to try something new in that I want to start at the dawn of time (Spore style, if you're familiar with that game) and wanted to get people's opinions on the idea of evolving "into goblins" (or whatever happens, since there's infinite realities if the Maze of Many is to be believed).

So, what do you guys say? Go back to Civ III, have me post all the previous posts all at once, and wing it from there when we know some people might not be returning? Start a new Civ flat out and see who we get? Start a new Civ thread Spore-style from the dawn of time? What do you guys want to see?

Whatever happens, I'll start March 15th. A nice, foreboding date. Then we can get back to having fun, if the last Civilization was any indication.

Oh, and follow me on Twitter now, too: @Omegatani
EDIT: If you have ideas/suggestions about how to make the next Civilization better, this is the place to post them before I begin on March 15th.
Last edited by Aegis J Hyena on Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Re: Civilization Thre-- Four.

Post by Runsaround » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:15 pm

In, also, march 15th is my birthday! Thanks Aegis!

(also, nikohl isn't coming back? :( )
I have no idea what I'm doing, and IT IS GLORIOUS!

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:17 pm

I am here!
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Runsaround wrote:In, also, march 15th is my birthday! Thanks Aegis!

I talked to him on Steam once, he didn't sound interested thanks to the forum crashing. I'll ask him again if I see him on, now that the forum is back up.
Donnigan wrote:I am here!
That's two of twenty players I had... heh heh heh. Let's see if the rest of them materialize.

For the record, the dragon egg was not viable. This would have led to a rift in the Ivakka tribes akin to Thaco / Kills a Werebear. Beyond that, my notes are gone, so.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:50 pm

I'm here, and I would love to see Civ III continued, although I'm open to a Civ IV. I'm not sold on a Spore like Civ game though, for whatever reason it just doesn't appeal to me.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:... for whatever reason it just doesn't appeal to me.
I'm not entirely sold on it myself, but the thought rattled around my 2-liters-of-Dew caffinated brain enough that it's an interesting concept ("evolve in fresh water or salt water? stay in the deep warm vents or go toward the light and oxygen?"). Right now I'm leaning toward a Civ IV, but there's still a month left to decide what happens and what other Goblinites return :)

I'll bump this thread once a week, too, until March 15...

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 pm

I am here. I don't mind what we end up doing.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:04 am

Still here, and I'll participate as I can in whatever you decide to do. :)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:37 am

Aegis J Hyena wrote:
Runsaround wrote:In, also, march 15th is my birthday! Thanks Aegis!

I talked to him on Steam once, he didn't sound interested thanks to the forum crashing. I'll ask him again if I see him on, now that the forum is back up.
I'm both here and female! I originally considered not returning since the forum is where I spend most of my online times, even when I'm at work, and I wanted to try spending less time online. That lasted about five minutes though! ;)

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 am

Had me quite worried there, for a bit.

lozlo
Speaks Quietly

Post by lozlo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 am

HIya, lets play
I hazz egg :D

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 am

nikohl wrote:I wanted to try spending less time online. That lasted about five minutes though! ;)
Good to see you back then :)

booooooooooooooobs...

Runsaround
Converses Frequently

Post by Runsaround » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 am

Also I really support the idea of "spore civs", plus it will be interesting to see what our initial actions (living next to a volcano, eating fish primarily, whatever) affect us later.

Alavar
Enjoys Chitchat

Post by Alavar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:59 am

I'm back as well
Please keep in mind any health advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not 'very' experienced (yet :P)

I'mBob
Game Master

Post by I'mBob » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:12 am

Is think I will join this one, in the 1 and 2 I wasn't here and when I decided I want to join the 3rd one there was too much story line for me to view.
► Show Spoiler
This account is on a hiatus until unknown.

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:38 pm

I'll try joining this one. Who knows how long i'll be able to keep up, but starting from the beginning should help. Oh, and i support Civ IV, spore edition.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 pm

I am toying with having a Standard Action / Finest Hour Pool (so each time a character is added, that's 3 actions and a Finest) that people can dip into as needed, rather than each having an individual amount (which would make you ration them carefully). On any month that has regeneration rolls I'd roll once for each character to add to the pool. What do you guys think? Keep it individual? Have a group pool, have both where actions from the pool would be weaker than the ones an individual has stockpiled, or...?

Considering starting the 8th, too. The muse is whispering things into my head.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Re: Civilization Thre-- Four. (Maybe March 8)

Post by SeeAMoose » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

I would say a mix of both would be a good idea. I will say that at times it got frustrating to see someone sitting on an increasing stockpile of SA's or FH's that they never used or traded in for xp. But that's mostly because I had a lot of ideas that I wanted to set into motion. I think the main reason that took place was because of the xp pool cap. I would suggest raising it to encourage people to donate SA's and FH's if they don't plan to use them, or set it so that if you don't use any SA's or FH's for an extended period one or two gets transferred to either a common pool or the xp pool. So if you don't use any in a year, one SA goes to the xp pool, but if you do use them that doesn't happen. If this would make things harder on you please ignore it.
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:50 pm

I will....try this game. Have only followed most of the original and not the others.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:I would say a mix of both would be a good idea. I will say that at times it got frustrating to see someone sitting on an increasing stockpile of SA's or FH's that they never used or traded in for xp. But that's mostly because I had a lot of ideas that I wanted to set into motion. I think the main reason that took place was because of the xp pool cap. I would suggest raising it to encourage people to donate SA's and FH's if they don't plan to use them, or set it so that if you don't use any SA's or FH's for an extended period one or two gets transferred to either a common pool or the xp pool. So if you don't use any in a year, one SA goes to the xp pool, but if you do use them that doesn't happen. If this would make things harder on you please ignore it.
I'm definitely increasing the cap (doubling it at the very least), and probably going back to the "one perk per level" instead of one per four. The muse yelled at me tonight and I have 16 locations for a starting civilization and a continent all drawn up already, and I have already copypasta'd a potential first post with all 16 potential landing points, from mountains to forests to deserts. Now I just have to figure out a consistent scale for the map --- too big, and too much can fit into one hex, too small and it's too easy to travel end-to-end when I don't want to expand said map. Heh.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 am

Map generated with 16 potential locations.
► Show Spoiler
What kinds of things would you like to see a return of? The Brain Mineral? The Ivakka? The -tani? The Vench? Crimson Jade? :shrug:

Still working out a viable scale...

Loki
Of Few Words

Post by Loki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 am

I'd be interested in taking part in a new round.
ÔÇ£Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos, IÔÇÖm an agent of chaos , and you know the thing about chaos? ItÔÇÖs fair."

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

I would be interested in playing.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:38 pm

I call dibs on number 2. It's seated in the correct spot for the giant toilet.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Hmmm. At least 13 people interested. Maybe I should start on Friday just to get the ball rolling.

And location #2 is the hardest of them all to start in, Burns... heh. Those're badlands with no resources in them.