Games Forum Rules Discussion

Home to all current Forum Games.
SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Games Forum Rules Discussion

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 pm

A couple of mods have mentioned having a rules thread for each of the major forums, and I think that would probably be wise. These rules can be bare bones and simple, but it would be good to have a thread laying them out nonetheless.

I think in the case of games these rules will be almost nonexistent, but I wanted to put it before you all as we put this together. I can't promise that all of your suggestions will be added, but we will keep them in mind as we put together the rules, and we will periodically solicit further input from you about what changes should be made to the rules. So... what rules do you guys think games should have? I've included a brief starter set below.
  1. New games that have not yet started and are looking for players should be placed in the recruitment thread.
    • When the game is ready, the game's creator should contact one of the Games Moderators to move the thread back to the main forum.
  2. Threads about how to create games, and other resources for new game masters should be posted in the Resources forum.
  3. When a game ends, contact one of the Games Moderatorsto move it to the Completed Games forum.
  4. Out of Character threads should be labeled with the OoC tag.

Of course all of these are up for change, just let me know if you think they need work.
Last edited by M0rtimer on Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changing to normal topic
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

LooksAndSmiles
Game Master

Re: Games Forum Rules Discussion

Post by LooksAndSmiles » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 am

I think #1 is a bit superflous, people can just create a recruitment thread in the subforum, and start a new thread in the Games forum once it starts. The reason one would do this instead of moving the original thread is because the first "n" posts/pages will be cluttered up by applications and player selection (and or rules/game discussion), not entirely relevant for the game itself (in case outsiders would want to follow it too).
Inventing forum games since '10 ...
Skill Table Cheat Sheet for my players in the Minesweepers game.
Random dragons I help growing up:ImageImageImageImage And my own dragons are here. The hatched ones like the clicks! :D

gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by gamecreator » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 am

Also recruitment thread can be reused later if the game is recurring.

Recruitment can be turned into OOC, though.

TBFProgrammer
Pipes Up Sometimes

Post by TBFProgrammer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:55 am

There is a lot more utility from leaving it in the recruitment forum (ie, someone needs to be replaced) and making a second thread for OOC. However, perhaps a rule that games not currently recruiting not have posts in the recruitment thread would be in order, with an appropriate title change to include "Closed" (force OOC into the regular portion). Also, most character creation, if in depth and not part of applying for spots, should probably go into said OOC thread (recommendation attached to the rule, not enforced).
The Barefoot Programmer

graceywilliams

Post by graceywilliams » Fri May 03, 2013 11:48 pm

It is better that the recruitment thread can be reused. In this way, we can save lots of time and procedures.

want to spend a great weekend with kids? click here
Last edited by SeeAMoose on Sun May 05, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Looks like we're having spam for dinner tonight

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Okay, does anyone have any other thoughts? I'd appreciate input from the people these rules will affect. Games moderators, please please please get to work on putting together a rules thread. I do not have time to do so myself, but I think it is important that we have something formal (no matter how short).
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 am

I guess a rule about commitment to the games would be worth mentioning? Since a ton of work goes into creating / GMing them, it's nice to remind players that if they miss updates then it sucks for the others & the GM. Similarly, if a GM can't keep an update schedule it screws with the players. Obviously this doesn't apply to people who have good reasons (and tell people, at least roughly what they are), but I think it's probably worth mentioning.

Similarly, it's also worth mentioning that running a game is HARD, so a bit of leniency towards the new GMs is never a bad thing :)

A pointer towards our extensive resources section & the God School stuff would be worth noting in the rules as well.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:00 am

I haven't really experienced this, but if you aren't in a game but feel like commenting or something like that, use spoilers or the correct ooc thread to minimalize confusion for the GMs and players.
I would love the feedback or appreciation if people wrote it, but I could also see myself ending up confused temporarely if it was in the middle of the players action when updating.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 am

I think the no-comments-from-lurkers things was largely established by LSN back in the early days, reinforced by a couple of other games and then it just stuck. I also think it's pretty good for the games threads to be left mostly for players only (especially if there's a risk of a non-player solving a puzzle, because if it's posted in spoilers it will definitely get read!). I will be the first to admit I get a very warm and fuzzy feeling when someone appears in a thread just to say they appreciate a joke or whatever though :)

Probably a general 'don't post in games you're not playing unless the GM says it's cool' would work though?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:17 am

Could limit it to no suggestions for what players have to do maybe? I'm not sure about how to formulate it better at the moment though.

of course the GM should have the final say about it in the game.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:27 pm

How's this?

Forum Games Rules
  1. New games that have not yet started and are looking for players should be placed in the recruitment thread.
    • When the game is ready, the game's creator should contact one of the Games Moderators to move the thread back to the main forum.
    • Or the thread can be left in the Recruitment forum with the tag - Sign-ups Closed (or something similar)
  2. Do not sign up for a committed game unless you are prepared to put in the time
    • If you have to take a leave of absence, you must tell the GM and:
      • either give up your character to someone else or
      • have the existing players vote on your character's movements/actions until you return
  3. Game Master's (GM) have total authority within their own games
    • Running a committed game is hard work, be kind and patient with your GM
    • Do not post in a game you are not a player in unless the GM has given permission for people to do so
      • If the GM has given permission, please use the spoil tags when posting a comment if you are not a player
    • If you have an issue with a GM that cannot be handled personally, please contact one of the Games Moderators for help
  4. Out of Character threads should be labeled with the OoC tag.
  5. Threads about how to create games, and other resources for new game masters should be posted in the Resources forum.
  6. When a game ends, contact one of the Games Moderators to move it to the Completed Games forum.
Anything else y'all would like to add?
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 am

That looks pretty good
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am

What about OOC's for things that are not games per say.. Like the Minecraft OOC thread, which is technically a game, just not a forum game.

Theonewhoisodd
Game Master
UStream Username: Theonewhoisodd

Post by Theonewhoisodd » Sun May 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Sorry to revive a dead thread like this but since it is a discussion thread on rules I thought it might be okay.

Since quite a few games seem to use OoC threads why not create a separate sub-forum for those threads? It would cut down on clutter and make things look a bit more organized in my opinion. Or even take it a step farther and split the aforementioned sub-forum in half one for forum game OoC and one for outside game chat
My Kickstarter

"There is no such thing as overkill, there's kill and there's gravy." -Kurik

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue May 13, 2014 8:20 am

At one point somewhere else I tried to suggest this and it was turned down as the OOC threads were as of yet, not overly inconvenient.

That being said, I will place my hat in the circle with you odd in support of this idea.

Another option (though im not sure of the intricacies of this) would be to somehow allow game creators to create an OOC thread within their gamethread in a separate but equal kind of way.

I'm thinking perhaps that, essentially, Games become their own subfolders...but would still be hanging out within the "Forum Games" area and not act as actual subfolders under the forum index. Again, I'm not sure how complex that is, but if doable, would be nice.

An example of the above is below
(main thread containing subthreads)

1. Goblins Adventure League (shows up in forum-games area, click to open options A and B)
A. The Tavern (A thread containing the GAL tavern)
B. Quests (a index containing options i and ii, click to open the Quests)
i. Q4
ii. Q5
etc

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue May 13, 2014 8:49 am

The GAL thread actually has an index already in the front post so that's permanently there. As quests are finished, they'll get moved to the completed area too, so I don't think they're likely to fill up the forum any time soon.

The problem with subdivisions is that people will always forget that they're there (like the recruitment thread for example). I can see the point of moving OOC threads somewhere, but hiding games within individual subfolders probably just means that no-one will read them any more because they'll have to click through an extra level to get there. We have so few active games at the moment I'm pretty loathe to make things even harder for people to find.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue May 13, 2014 9:00 am

It was merely a suggestion, although a bad one as you pointed out. Though readership and play of games may increase if they (especially phone users) don't need to look so carefully through the options to make sure they click on the game as opposed to one of the OOC's.

Moving the OOCs would also free up space so that all (at least active) games would move to the top = less scrolling.

On an opposing side though, (myself not included) there are several people who only use the "View your Posts" tab to keep track of everything = those people tend to not see or read new games, as they're never posted in them.