Lair of the Mountain King: Turn 386

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Turn 385

Post by Dlover » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:04 pm

Tugs strikes again, releasing the Poison slot with the attack.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:41 am

Burned considers the situation. As expected, the ghost was invulnerable to everything but magical energy. Meanwhile, it appeared like it could dish out magic of it's own with no problems.

Which didn't make sense, thinking about it. Rule 1 of thermodymagics: "Magic can not be destroyed or created, simply transformed from one source into another". One could argue this was proven false with the goblins able to replenish their magical storage, but this was simply a reaffirmation of this well established theory, in the form of transferring physical energy into magical energy.

Which... Of course! Whereas goblins and most other races must run on some kind of meat engine, a ghost would run on something similar using magical energy... Which obviously meant that every time it'd cast a spell, it would slowly be killing himself.

All he'd need to do was just wait for the ghost to kill itself. Surely, his theory was flawless and would work perfectly.

In the meanwhile though... While the ghost might have been vulnerable to magical energy, it was also made by magical energy. More specifically, a soul being tied to some form of... a meta-physical entity. This would also take a certain form of energy...

The energy that allows the dead to take ethereal form.

Another incredibly stupid genius thought occurs to Burned. Using all of his 2 MP, he attempts to grasp this energy- From previous experience, he knows to be wary, making sure that the spirit's personality is not what he wants, but rather the force that allows it to be animated as it is... At the very least, it should weaken him.

But, of course, this energy still has to go somewhere... So he'll try to channel it into Mr. Rock, should the fella be willing to take it.

"Use that as you want to, pal."
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 am

► Show Spoiler
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:51 am

► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Annoyed that his usual tactic of "stab-it-until-it-stops-moving" isn't working, Eaten instead goes for the magic option. Using up all his mana (2mp), he forms some of the fire energy in his Gold Ring into a fireball, pointing it directly at the ghost's stupid face.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Splits stands ready to try to "catch" any magic that the ghost sends towards the goblins, and store it in the magic slots of Stormreaver.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:16 am

"Let's try and capture the ghost in my hat!" Find suggests.

If the others (at least 2 goblins) go for h is idea, he'll try to channel ALL of the ghost into the empty slot of the magical woolly hat he made earlier (using 2 of his MP). Else he'll just lend his help (2 MP) to Eaten in order to make his fireball that much stronger.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:06 am

Yeah, you know what, I'll join in on the Curse Finds' Hat attempt, rather than trying to poison the dead thing.
My game:

My characters:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:56 am

Out curiosity, Wakes will help Burned in his attempt and use all his MP as well.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:46 am

Belief joins in on the plan.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Turn 386

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Turn 386

Eaten blasts a 2MP-sized fireball at the ghost's face, which connects with a satisfying explosion and the ghost shudders. It retaliates by sending the orange orb of energy directly into the ground with a massive impact. Belief, Burned and Wakes each take 2DAM from the impact!

Splits stands ready with Stormreaver, and manages to capture 1MP's worth of the earth magic in his blade, but he's not got enough energy to reduce the amount of damage it does to his allies.

Deciding through truly flawless logic that the ghost in front of him simply should not be able to exist without some sort of magical power source, Burned decides to try and find it and give all that power to Mr. Rock instead because who could deserve it more? Wakes and Belief combine their forces to help too.

Reaching out with his magical senses, he is not in the least bit surprised to discover that his hypothesis was correct. Dragging the "life force" out of the ghost by sheer will, he transfers it to Mr. Rock, who absorbs it all hungrily. Burned isn't completely sure where all that energy just went, but the mace begins to vibrate in his hands and he feels a new thirst emanating from it as Mr. Rock gets a taste of some REAL power. The ghost screeches and grows dimmer. Drawing a sword from the air, it strikes out at Burned, clearly attempting to destroy the mysteriously-intuitive leader. Burned feels a freezing cold burn through him as the blade sweeps through his useless armor and he collapses to the ground.

Burned is now disabled!

"Let's try and capture the ghost in my hat!"

Finds decides to try and transfer the ghost into his newly-crafted woolly hat. Tugs shrugs, deciding that the hat plan is better than the Chief's plan...

Combining their magics, the pair channel their energies and draw the last of the ghost's life-force into the wooly hat. The ghost itself doesn't seem to want to be a hat, and struggles against its confinement, but the goblins are stronger and force it to stay put. It may not hold it for long, but it seems they may have bought themselves a short reprieve while they decide what to do next.

Finds is now the proud owner of a Cursed Wooly Hat. At least for as long as the ghost is trapped inside it...

------------------------------------------

INVENTORIES
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:13 pm

(( it takes MP to transfer HP that is stored in objects? If he's going to die next turn without help, I think the only thing to save him is the Phoenix down that Burned is carrying, all the rest of us are tapped out on magic...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:03 pm

Yeah, looks like we might have been a bit too quick on all blowing everything we have like that... I think it's possible to just spend a standard action to keep Burned stabilized, though- Meaning he could be stabilized this turn, and healed the next one, since it appears we're out of combat for now..? No point wasting the phoenix down if it can be helped.

Of course, correct me if I'm wrong there Thinks. :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 pm

It's been a while since we've had someone hit 0HP, so I'm not certain.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 pm

((Finds Truth has three unknown potions on him - you can taste-test to try and identfiy them next turn and hope one of them is helpful.))

Questions smelled them on Turn 191 (http://goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f ... and#p73686) but you haven't done anything with them otherwise as yet.

From the page 1 rules:
rules wrote:We set a precedent for using first aid to stabilise a dying person though at some point, so you can also roll the dice for e.g. binding wounds (50% chance of success) if the first aider is willing to spend the entire turn on the activity. It's more of a gamble compared to actual healing, but sometimes it might be your only option!

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Phoenix down it is. :paranoia:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm

It's a little worse than that I'm afraid... Because the Phoenix down is in Burned's inventory, he's the only one who can access it and he's bleeding onto the floor. I'm afraid it's looking like mystery potions and/or a 50-50 chance at helping are probably your only two viable options.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:29 pm

Maybe Mr. Rock will save me. :shifty:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Well, five people work on Stabilising while one person meditates. What're the odds that FIVE people fail a 1d2?

Tugs sets to stabilising Burned.
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Splits assists, seeking to stabilize his mad chief.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Guess wakes will take the meditation duty if the others are stabilizing the chief, otherwise he'll help with that
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:49 pm

Finds takes the hat off before offering things from his inventory to the people who are trying to stabilize the chief:
4x Handfuls of healing moss: Ingredient
or any of the potions.

Then he meditates.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 am

....whoops! Okay, new rule: always keep at least two people with 1MP ready at any one time :roll:

Eaten helps with trying to stabilise their unfortunate Chief.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:56 am

Belief also tries to stabilise the Chief, uttering prayers to Maglubiyet as he does so.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Lair of the Mountain King: Turn 387

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:42 pm

Turn 287

The goblins stare in horror as their beloved Chief goes down, and waste absolutely no time in rushing to his aid and... immediately realise they have no magic left. After a brief skirmish in which everyone leaps to his aid simultaneously, it is Splits and Belief who are able to get in there and staunch the bleeding.

Burned will live to see another day! He will need to be healed before he can do anything, but at least he's not an ex-goblin.

Finds sets the possessed hat to one side and meditates to recover 2MP. Wakes does the same.

The possessed hat judders violently.

------------------------------------------------------

INVENTORIES
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.