MotBM (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: MotBM (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:49 am

That was a lot to read through on a phone! Let me know if I missed anything.

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 am

Hey Spider, since both Warryn and Ah'Sereen are associated with Thieves and criminal underworld, can we say that they knew each other before this heist? If only in passing or by reputation.

It's just that it would probably be good for Warryn to have a positive view of someone in the party :lol:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:37 am

I think it'd be up to what connections Thinks wants us to have?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am

Sure, whatever you'd like on that front is fine by me. The backstories are yours to play with, just keep me in the loop :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:09 am

Dusk9 wrote:Hey Spider, since both Warryn and Ah'Sereen are associated with Thieves and criminal underworld, can we say that they knew each other before this heist? If only in passing or by reputation.

It's just that it would probably be good for Warryn to have a positive view of someone in the party :lol:
thinkslogically wrote:Sure, whatever you'd like on that front is fine by me. The backstories are yours to play with, just keep me in the loop :)
Alright, sounds good. Is Warryn a member of any particular Thieves Guild, or is he more of a freelancer? I think it would make sense that this is their first job together, but would at least recognize that they are from a more similar walk of life than the others, and perhaps heard of one another's skills?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 am

Freelancer: he doesn't like working with others when he can help it, and usually only uses his connections to identify targets and fence his stolen goods. He only agreed to this heist to repay a favour.

Like I said in the main thread, he mainly knows Ah'Sereen by reputation as an information-gatherer and lie-detector. Air Gensai are pretty rare, so she's not hard to identify. And he'll have seen her lock-picking skills in use first-hand while they were taking the painting.

She'll mainly have heard rumours about his solitariness and use of magic. Very few know his real name, and even those who do just call him "the Gnome". Most don't even know he's Svirfneblin, since he regularly uses Disguise Self in meetings to look like a regular Rock Gnome. He's never been directly caught in the act of stealing (though he's had a few close calls with failed robberies).

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:56 am

I'll probably get a post up soonish, but Lurks- Could you try this roller perhaps?

https://poke-roller.herokuapp.com/rolls/new

Not as advanced as coyote (At least, not what we're using it for), but given that I made this should hopefully be obscure enough to get around that firewall of yours. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am

thinkslogically wrote: Dusk- I'll make the same ruling here that spider did in his game, but what you're trying is more like the message spell. I think sounds are ok for minor illusion, but not coherent messages))
Hmm, okay! Didn't realise it had already come up. I was just basing it off the description on the spell (namely that it can be your voice, and you can vary the volume from a "whisper to a scream").

That said, one of the lead designers of D&D said it could be used for speech. If I had to, I'd argue that the advantage of Message is that is has a much longer range, better targeting (you don't have to see the target, just know they're there), only the target can hear the message, and the target can reply without giving anything away. Whereas Minor Illusion is one-way, a quarter of the range, requires vision (since you need to direct it just at their ear), and can be technically overheard by anyone with good enough Perception.

But yeah, I'm fine with dropping the "whisper-message" aspect if you think that's too powerful. I'd still like to keep the normal volume talking and shouting parts though, since those have loads of potentially fun applications :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:16 am

Oh ok, didn't realise there was that ruling. In that case, I take it all back and you can go ahead and use it as you intended.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 am

M0rtimer wrote:I'll probably get a post up soonish, but Lurks- Could you try this roller perhaps?

https://poke-roller.herokuapp.com/rolls/new

Not as advanced as coyote (At least, not what we're using it for), but given that I made this should hopefully be obscure enough to get around that firewall of yours. :P
Apparently it is. :) You'll have to tell me how to use it, but I CAN access it. :thumbsup: Hey, Spider, would this be acceptable on your game, or do you want me to stick with Coyote over there?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:40 am

Dusk9 wrote:Freelancer: he doesn't like working with others when he can help it, and usually only uses his connections to identify targets and fence his stolen goods. He only agreed to this heist to repay a favour.

Like I said in the main thread, he mainly knows Ah'Sereen by reputation as an information-gatherer and lie-detector. Air Gensai are pretty rare, so she's not hard to identify. And he'll have seen her lock-picking skills in use first-hand while they were taking the painting.

She'll mainly have heard rumours about his solitariness and use of magic. Very few know his real name, and even those who do just call him "the Gnome". Most don't even know he's Svirfneblin, since he regularly uses Disguise Self in meetings to look like a regular Rock Gnome. He's never been directly caught in the act of stealing (though he's had a few close calls with failed robberies).
That sounds good. Is he currently looking like a Rock Gnome, and has he given us his name (assuming Warryn is his real name).
thinkslogically wrote:Oh ok, didn't realise there was that ruling. In that case, I take it all back and you can go ahead and use it as you intended.
Hmmm... do you remember where/when that was? I know I'd said thaumaturgy doesn't work for communication, but I'd like to be able to correct it for minor illusion if I'd said it couldn't before.
Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Hey, Spider, would this be acceptable on your game, or do you want me to stick with Coyote over there?
I'm going to keep coyote as the standard there, but you can be the exception and use this since otherwise it's more work for me. 8)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:42 am

It should be the same as coyotecode, mostly! Just enter 1d20+2;1d8+2 for example to do two rolls... It just doesn't have some of the functions that coyotecode does, at least not the same. This is the library being used, so if you want to look how to do more advanced rolls (Like "keep highest"), you can check that out: https://github.com/syntruth/Dice-Bag

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:43 am

Nope, I was thinking of thaumaturgy! Never mind, there are too many spells...

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:51 pm

spiderwrangler wrote: That sounds good. Is he currently looking like a Rock Gnome, and has he given us his name (assuming Warryn is his real name).
Nah, he's not got it up right now. That's one of the problems with Disguise Self - it only lasts an hour. And most heists take longer than that in just the planning stages. Plus, he likes to have it ready for fleeing the scene of the crime if something goes wrong. At the moment, he's mostly relying on his cloak to keep his identity hidden from the rest of you. That and the fact that all Sfvirneblin males look pretty much identical to other races :lol:

And yeah, Warryn is his real name. It's also a pretty common name for Gnomes, of all types. Combined with the fact that Gnomes typically have half-a-dozen names, and that he didn't tell you his clan name (which is also pretty common) and he's not that concerned. Sure, you could probably track down the Svirfneblin called Warryn living above ground pretty easily. But proving it wasn't another Gnome tricking you (or even just a different Warryn) would be altogether more difficult. Especially when the Warryn in question is an upstanding citizen with a spotless record :P

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 pm

God forbid we ever wind up doing a crossover with Spider's game. Dain and Randy would probably try to kill each other. :chuckle:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm

And Holger would likely try to court Aura played by... god, that can never be allowed to happen!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm

...I suspect Nem might have a thing or two to say about that, especially if she inherited DM powers :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Holger just likes to get to now people very well.. :paranoia:

I have to reach warlock level 3 before we reach the next city so I can have my own familiar keeping watch while Holger sleeps.. Holger is too chaotic for commitment! For better and (likely) worse :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Yeah, I don't think Nem is actually the type to mind to be honest. She's very much a free spirit :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:55 am

So... What kind of check would I do to give Dain a good shove or potentially punch? :roll:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:07 am

To steal a line from Glen Cook: "...with the amoral pragmatism of a prince of Hell..." . Randy would be the type to throw himself on a grenade to save others. Dain would likely help him do it. I'm very much afraid he's going to turn into one of those nasty SOB in the movies that you are praying get ate by the monster. He wouldn't pull wings off a fly because that's just petty and a waste of time. He probably would be the guy to trip someone if the party were trying to get away from a pack of wolves. He's narcissistic and the center of his universe. He works with others when it benefits him and throws them under the bus without blinking an eye when that benefits him. He's almost a borderline personality. He's unfortunately also competent at what he does. (And if you think he's a little prone to the evil side of things, well there's a pretty good reason why. Right, Thinks? ;) ) I think he's a right bastard, and I'm playing him. :chuckle:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:12 am

Then I shall play the role of the character in the movies that everyone wishes to show up but usually doesn't (until the ending at least), and punch him in the face. :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:19 am

I'm ok with PvP (as long as it's not excessive or stupid) if you guys all are :)

If no-one has a problem with it, attacking someone follows the usual combat rules: Determine surprise, Roll initiative, make your moves, resolve the outcome.

Punching is an unarmed attack with normal rules. Shoving is a contested skill check kind of like grappling:

Shoving a Creature
Using the Attack action, you can make a Special melee attack to shove a creature, either to knock it prone or push it away from you. If youÔÇÖre able to make multiple attacks with the Attack action, this attack replaces one of them.

The target must be no more than one size larger than you and must be within your reach. Instead of making an attack roll, you make a Strength (Athletics) check contested by the targetÔÇÖs Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check (the target chooses the ability to use). If you win the contest, you either knock the target prone or push it 5 feet away from you.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 am

Whelp, guess I'm gonna die by ghost or something stupid :roll:

And if it wasn't already obvious, Warryn's totally just as bad as Dain. If not worse. If he had a choice between saving one of you guys, and saving his Bag of Holding, he'd probably choice the Bag 9/10 times. And the 10th time would only be because he thought you were more valuable to him alive.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:38 am

Aura is going to die trying to be a goody-two-shoes and being betrayed, isn't she.