MotBM (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: MotBM (OOC)

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:49 pm

Ok, well I'll hold off on starting until you're sorted out with spells and equipment, but it'd be nice to get going tonight or tomorrow if we can do :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Oh by the way, if any of you are looking for good offline spell books or character sheets, I really like the 5th edition spellbook (free with some ads, definitely on Android); and the 5e character sheet. The latter is free, but will do your levelling up for you if you buy the premium version for like 2 bucks. It's also definitely on Android, no idea about iPhones :)

Other apps are available :lol:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:05 pm

Okay, we're good to go. I've changed some spells around, got rid of illusory and Glyph, used the extra funding for a warhammer+1. Wand should work as a focus for the new spells. Thanks for the spell list Spider! :)

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:21 am

Just letting you know Thinks, I've decided to swap Counterspell for Dispel Magic in my Spellbook. It just makes more sense for a thief to have some way of dispelling magic alarms or locks and such :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:47 am

Cool stuff!! Well get started tonight then :)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:02 am

So Thinks, would calm emotions have any effect on the woman? Technically, by RAW, it probably wouldn't, but it seems like this would be a good situation to cast it in. :roll:

(If she catches Warryin in the radius as well, all the better. :roll: )

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:11 am

CHA Saving Throw: 2D20.HIGH(1)+1 = [16, 16]+1 = 17

Sorry Mort, Warryn has Advantage on INT/WIS/CHA Saving Throws against magic (I was actually kinda hoping to fail it) :shrug: If anything Aura just made him suspicious of her, too :lol:

That said, could you roll Stealth or something to see if Warryn notices her casting? His Passive Perception is only 10 and he's not really paying attention to her, so it should be pretty easy.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:21 am

You'd be right, except, well... She's wearing heavy armor. Which somehow affects her stealth casting, it seems. :lol:

Also you CAN fail the check intentionally, although I agree he'd have no reason to. :roll:

Stealth: 2D20.LOW(1)+2 = [11, 3]+2 = 5

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:27 am

Well shit :lol:

I guess Warryn is now suspicious of both the other spellcasters in the group. Within the first 2 minutes. Great! :roll:

(And yeah, Warryn has no reason to fail it intentionally. Sorry! Like I said, I was hoping you'd succeed - it would make things a lot easier if he could just accept this and move on to looking around properly.)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:43 am

Sleight of Hand might be more suited to concealing Somatic components, but isn't that also an AoE spell? Do we all need to save?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 am

Yeah, it's a 20 ft sphere around "point of impact"- Although the spell description seems to suggest I can choose whether or not a person is affected by it, and I think Aura would really only try to affect Warryn and the woman... So besides that she might not even have hit you depending on how big the room is, sure, roll if you want. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:56 am

spiderwrangler wrote:Sleight of Hand might be more suited to concealing Somatic components, but isn't that also an AoE spell? Do we all need to save?
If it was only Somatic spell, then sure. But I'd say the Verbal bits are definitely Stealth.

And I mean, all the spell does is suppress Charmed or Frightened effects, or make targets non-hostile. If you're not Charmed/Frightened/Hostile, then it literally doesn't do anything (by RAW) :shrug:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 am

The spell also specifies that is something I CAN do. Hence me stating that I'm pretty sure I can "ignore" potential targets in the AOE, if I want to.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

M0rtimer wrote:The spell also specifies that is something I CAN do. Hence me stating that I'm pretty sure I can "ignore" potential targets in the AOE, if I want to.
I think that everyone would still have to make the save, but if we fail, you can then choose how to affect those that failed. Same end result I suppose.
Dusk9 wrote:If it was only Somatic spell, then sure. But I'd say the Verbal bits are definitely Stealth.
I might lobby for Deception, depending on how it was being done, but for straight Verbal, armor really shouldn't impose a disadvantage on a Stealth check.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 am

Under what category does "She wasn't really trying to be stealthy, it's just possible that someone didn't notice it happen" fall? :roll:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:50 am

Well this went south in a hurry, didn't it. :chuckle:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:51 am

So, when is the fight going to break out and we'll end up with half the party dead less than a minute after the game starts? :roll:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:02 am

It could get ugly. Dain ain't Holger. His close in DPS gets pretty nasty. Given his personality (somewhat grumpy dwarf with a short fuse) and alignment (basically self centered) once he's convinced talking isn't going work anymore, he'll stop talking and start shooting.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:06 am

Please don't force me to shut this party down with a silence spell, I'd like to not waste all my spells just yet. :roll:

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:41 am

Don't worry, Warryn's not stupid enough to start a fight with half the group already. Not a fair fight, anyway. And certainly not when they're expecting it :lol: >:D

Also, don't forget you have Guidance, Mort. Might help with those crappy rolls you keep having ;)

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:57 am

Honestly, I'm starting to think I should just have that active at all times... :roll:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 am

:lol: ok, wow this blew up while I was asleep!

M0rt- Calm emotions is fine for this situation, if a little OP given the circumstances :lol:

All- Stealth casting is a mechanic for certain classes, so it won't be free, but you can always try. Sleight of hand probably makes sense for most somatic components and deception is fine for most vocal components. How you bluff your way around the focus or material part is up to you.

However, I'll need a description of how you plan to do it or it's not going to work. This dungeon is old-school style so it's up to you as players to make plans and I'll not be letting the dice do it for you.

Otherwise, I'm just heading to the office - I'll get you an update shortly :)

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:59 am

M0rtimer wrote:Honestly, I'm starting to think I should just have that active at all times... :roll:
To be fair, out of combat, it's not like there's anything stopping you :lol:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:07 am

Yeah, probably, I'm just roleplaying in that Aura has "peace-keeping" as the occasional minor thing she has to do, and her current spell list reflects it... Calm emotions sounds like the perfect spell to help break up fights, or when you're worried people might panic... She's acting on instinct. :roll:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:16 am

M0rtimer wrote:Please don't force me to shut this party down with a silence spell, I'd like to not waste all my spells just yet. :roll:
It would keep any jailers from hearing the racket we are making...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler