Shipwrecked OOC thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Re: Shipwrecked OOC thread

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:41 pm

I do not see the issue with that... :shifty:

Anyways, I fully approve of gloves of badger summoning. Haven't had a real chance to look at summoning spells in 5E yet, but I'll make that a job to do this weekend.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 pm

I'm not sure if or when I'll have a chance to look this this properly but I was a standard paladin of heironeus with fire breath I think and a level in platinum knight. I'm not sure what PK translates to, but I can pull together a paladin quickly enough I think.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:38 pm

If anyone doesn't have access to 5e books, I offer my assistance in converting your character, just let me know.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:58 am

spiderwrangler wrote:If anyone doesn't have access to 5e books, I offer my assistance in converting your character, just let me know.
I don't have access to ANY D&D books. So yes, please. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 am

GathersIngredients wrote: So yes, please. :)
PM'd
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:00 am

I just checked the handbook to see what the possibilities are for Jasper... Seems like a wizard now has to take a specialization at second level, so obviously Jasper will take a conjuration specialization.

Concerning spells... I'll have to take a closer look at it, but it seems that wizard only learns 2 spells to actually summon elementals, based on this site: https://www.dnd-spells.com/spells and it becomes available only on caster level 4, so that'd be a while. There are other spells that can summon creatures, but technically these are restricted to other classes. Not that I suppose it's too much of a problem, considering the spells simply become more powerful if slotted in a higher slot...

Actual spell list I would take at my current level I'm not sure, although currently it could not involve any summoning spells, with exception of summoning my familiar. I'll keep the little bastard, even if I barely call on him in rp, lazy rat just keeps in a pocket. Would you want me to draft up a spell list so you can approve Jacon..?

Feats as we know them don't exist any more, so no point in bringing those up (I'll miss my ability to have an empty slot)... Finally, I got a level in wyrm wizard, which gave me another spellcasting level and the following ability- How do you want to handle this, concerning it no longer exists in 3.5?

Knowledge of the Wyrm (Ex): You spend a great deal of
time exploring the depths of a dragon's magical knowledge,
giving you a distinct advantage over spellcasters who do not
have the benefit of draconic tutelage. Starting at 1st level,
by spending at least 1 hour doing nothing but performing
research, you can add your class level as an insight bonus on
Knowledge (arcana) checks made for the next 8 hours. You
need not consult with a dragon to gain this insight, though
if you do, the insight bonus improves by 2.
At 5th level, you also gain this bonus on Spellcraft checks,
for the same duration.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:52 am

Thanks spider, I'll look into it soon. I'm just pretty swamped at the moment. I just wanted to let you know a) I appreciate your help very much and b) I'm not ignoring it, just postponing my reply due to IRL issues.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:32 pm

All right, I've made a 4th level paladin that approximates 3.5e Ala. I'm not sure what to do with the healing belt though or how to handle being a Platinum Knight. A +2 ATT bonus against evil dragons seems reasonable at this level for 5e. It's a pretty big bonus for this level, but given that it's so circumstantial it can be controlled by the DM pretty easily.

There's no longer a power attack feat that I can see (or improved initiative), so adding my breath weapon damage type to a power attack seems difficult to use :) I'm not that fussed though and would rather keep the flavour of the character than all the mechanics. Unfortunately, I don't know how to get the character sheet out of my phone and onto the internet... Can you guys do anything with an xml file?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:43 am

It's been over a week now and I don't see me having any more time to try and work with the mythweaver thing to convert Henry to 5th edition. I don't want to hold you guys back, so I'm backing out of Jacon's side quest/takeover of the adventure.

Please just go without Henry. Enjoy. :)
And thanks, spider, for the offer to help, even if I'm not gonna make use of it. :thumbsup:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:53 pm

sooooo.... I saw this question too late so I copied it out of the discord chat:

theis - So about shipwrecked now that it got mentioned, I don't think I'll start that game up again but rather try something new if I get the time to make another forum game, so I wondered if you guys wanted to know more about the setting or if you still want to keep the hopes up that I change my mind

spiderwrangler - Today at 7:23 PM
If there's no chance, I'd like to learn more... but if there is a chance....

--------------------------------------

From my point of view, if you're ever intending to start up a 5e game (or something else) that uses the same or a similar setting, I'd prefer not to know the grand idea of it because you can probably re-use them later on in the next game (which I would totally be interested in, no matter how sporadically you decided to update).

I would love to know what the deal was with those "ghosts" in the windy cave that we tried talking to though. Were they air elementals? and how were we supposed to solve that room? I got the impression we just sort of brute-forced it, but maybe I just didn't work it out :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:19 am

A problem with 5e is that they got rid of a lot of customization that I ended up using in my setting. I guess I could try to convert them since 3.5e and 5e are very similar in some regards if I end up making a new D&D game. But honestly I don't think I'm going with another of those anytime soon on this forum, might be a simple graphical game in order to challenge my (non existing) artistic side or maybe something entirely different.

The "ghosts" were invisible stalkers (type of air elemental so partly right) and just happened to be there as a side effect of the puzzle. The puzzle itself was just that simple as to pass the skill checks in order to get the box and then get to the door. Of course if you did it in the opposite order you wouldn't be protected against the fire from the door.

One thing I've learned from this is that it might not be the best idea to try make a setting that's interesting while ignoring the fact that the players are level 1. While it fits with the story and consistency, it definitely also seemed to make some of you feel powerless to a certain degree and you most definitely would be if you went up against some of the potential BBE around places.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:22 am

Maybe, but its also cool to know that there's bigger things out there than us and that tackling it all would require a bunch of preparation. My game world for The Wandering Archipelago is full of crap that would smoosh the party if they met it right now (although 2 rats are also deadly, apparently), but that's ok cos they won't :) it's all out there waiting to be found though.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 am

Being poisoned unconscious is the only thing that made Darfel feel powerless!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:50 pm

So more rats, less poison? :P

I guess a bit of healthy fear is good and does give the impression that you aren't wearing plot armor making it all more exciting :P

So I've finally made the decision to completely drop the setting and divulge a bit on what was the overall theme to it. The island you were on was artificially made by 10 dragons, one of each type. Each area was tailored to the resident dragon in that region, so winter landscape for white and silver dragons, desert for blue and so forth. Overall it was treated a bit like a playground for them as they gathered creatures on the island and started ruling over them. This had been going on for centuries before you arrived. To prevent adventures and their ilk from going to the island, they warded off the island from divination spells and most conjuration spells. That is why summoning spells weren't working as they should and teleportation spells would fail right away. There were some side effects of this warding, one was the need to craft some magical items that "powered" the warding, amongst those were the summoner gloves Jasper had. Another were dimensional rifts spread around the island and you have been near a couple of those :P
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:59 pm

Sweet :) that's pretty cool! So, what was the dragon by the orc-camp? Red I assume? I know Ala at some point leapt to the conclusion that there must be a dragon god on the island, but I guess they were pretty powerful, old dragons? Like if we'd tried to find the red dragon the Duergar worshiped, would we actually have stood a chance?

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:16 pm

You would have been eaten as a snack, all of them were great wyrms. :P

The god the Duergar worshipped was in fact the red dragon so you weren't wrong and freaked me out thinking I was so easy to figure out! The one in the orc camp was a bronze dragon, shapeshifted to take the form of an orc in order to rule them without letting them know after they tried a rebellion when they were enslaved by it. The two dragons had angered each other and were using their pawns to settle their quarrel. The dragons kept each other in check to prevent direct meddeling with their "playthings".

Actually the dragon that you got connected to was the gold dragon, which might have filled you in on some of this, but there were other places where you've could have gotten this info from. One of those being a mindflayer living rather close to your starting location.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Aaaaaaah! I understand now! Ok, yeah that was a weird moment of insight on my part, but it was based on nothing but an assumption on Ala's part :)

Was cranberry always going to be our BBEG? Or is that still his secret to tell?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm assuming we'd have to go underground to find the myconid kingdom?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:56 pm

I actually didn't have anything major planned out with Cranberry, most of it was actually Jacon on that part and I rolled with it.

Those damn mushrooms :roll:
The whole mushroom thing started just because I rolled well for Ala on a search check in a cave with nothing there.. well not entirely true, there was a rift to the elemental plane of water causing some magic to leak out. That gave the first idea to the magic mushrooms that they absorbed the magic from there and could be used a bit like a potion or weapon like alchemist fire. I'm a bit sad you never tried anything magical with the brown and bland mushrooms since they would absorb any magical effect and store it as a lesser version of the spell.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:10 pm

Fair enough, I would have needed a clue on that one though :) I kind of love how weird d&d shit just appears on the whim of the dice! Ala the mushroom paladin will always have a special place in my heart :lol:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:20 pm

Yeah, I tried not to give too much away on the taste testing beyond that there could be more to it. But I guess that's pretty minor especially since the next mushroom had the taste of pain! :lol:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Yes. If anything is likely to make a person not eat more mushrooms its having one explode half a hospital cos you bit it...

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 am

But on a scale of 1-10, how evil was Jasper? :roll:

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:51 am

A billion!

Maybe a 7-8 since he had no trouble condemning Ala to death since they could just fix it, blatantly disregarding how much she would have to go through. Not that anyone seemed to care about what death would bring her. :roll:
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:53 am

To be fair, that was mostly OOC incompetence, since I was unaware that the "raise dead" spell wasn't "lossless" like I thought it was OOC. :roll: