Shipwrecked OOC thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Shipwrecked OOC thread

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:48 pm

Theis2 wrote:The grand reason for why I'm stopping is because the game is stressing me out. Silently lurking in the back of my head urging me to update when I don't have time and once I do have time I feel the pressure of making an amazing update which rarely happens and that often postpones the update even longer as I consider how I can make it better.
Oh man, do I know that feeling :) My approach with my games lately has been to not force it. If I don't feel like I'm in a mental state to switch off and actually focus on a decent update I tend to put it to one side so as not to do you guys a disservice. Problem is, that seems to be happening a lot lately with work getting more and more hectic... Still, we'll get there eventually I'm sure.

Anyway, don't worry about it. For whatever it's worth, I really enjoyed playing and the adventures you sent us on were a ton of fun. If you ever feel like running a one-shot in the future you can sign me up right now :D

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:12 am

I wasn't here for the whole journey, but I did enjoy it. and... you can always take it as a learning experience. GMing is HARD.

So yeah, if you want to pick this - or another game, maybe with a little less freedom of action (that sometimes leaves the players dazzled about what to do next AND usually puts the GM in an awkward position, if the group goes places he didn't prepare for) - up again, I'll be trying to get a spot. :D
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:29 pm

Well you shouldn't force yourself to run a game if your not feeling it.

However i'd hate to see such a long lasting game end. if people are interested I could take up the mantle of dm for a little bit. I can't make any promises that I won't poop out either but I could give it a good old try.

And if people are interested would you guys consider making a switch to 5e. I haven't played 3.5 in a while and fifth edition I find is easier to run for online games cause it's alot less rules heavy.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I'm up for that if you are Jacon :) And 5e is more familiar to me anyway than 3.5 so I'd be happy to switch.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:48 am

I'd have no issue with that.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:44 pm

As long as any efforts to keep the characters going has Theis's approval, I'm down.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:54 pm

I just realised I never read Jacon's offer quite as carefully as I thought! Yes, I will be happy to play, but only if it's cool with theis.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:58 am

Jasper might have been able to summon stuff if it wasn't for the fact that I hate you and you suck! :P

I think I shared how I determined the DC with you at some point, but each level you got made it more likely that you would succesfully cast the spell. Higher level spells are of course also a bit harder.
Your summoning feats are also reducing the DC. :P
thinkslogically wrote:Oh man, do I know that feeling :) My approach with my games lately has been to not force it. If I don't feel like I'm in a mental state to switch off and actually focus on a decent update I tend to put it to one side so as not to do you guys a disservice. Problem is, that seems to be happening a lot lately with work getting more and more hectic... Still, we'll get there eventually I'm sure.
Yeah I've been trying to do that, but it didn't really work for me sadly. I do hope work settles for you though :P

As for Jacon taking over for a while, I guess that could work for a while with a short adventure or something like that. I'm not sure if you meant it like that or something else though.
I have considered switching to 5e but the current rules/setting I got in place with the summoning doesn't really transfer well to 5e.

Oh and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the game! :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:35 pm

yeah, if Theis is cool with it, I'm game. Side-quest ahoy!
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:46 pm

Well I wanted to continue the current storyline. Am pretty creative, am sure we can find some way to fit our current characters into 5E

If we are still interested in this than let's create 4th level 5e characters ( extra leevl up so we have a blank slate starting out.) with the same stats as our current 3.5 characters. Point out anything that doesn't currently fit in 5E like the random summoning and i'll post some ideas about how we can fix that. Also let me know what magic items you have so we can look at the 5e version of those magic items

Gathers your character is the only one who's class doesn't flat out translate to 5E. Their are no spell thiefs as far as I know. You might want to try arcane trickster which is basically a rogue with wizard spells.
If you have troubles making characters cause you don't know the system let me know and i'll do my best to help you out. 5E is actually alot simpler than 3.5 so it shouldn't be to hard.

Theis you are welcome to create a character if you'd like to play

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:19 pm

We'll need some new comic relief if we're losing Cranberry :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Dragonkith partial level and ability to breath fire still apply?

Items I would have questions about.

Boots of Dragonstriding: +2 Climb, +2 Jump, 1/day, gain climb spd = to land spd, 10 rds.

Piercer cloak: Grants 1d6 extra damage when you attack from higher ground. If you charge from at least 10 ft above the target the bonus increase to 2d6.

Amulet of Toxin Delay: Command word delays poison 2 rounds

Staff of Life (5 charges): Caster Level 11; Heal (1 charge), Raise Dead (5 charges).

HD roll for Level 4: 1D8+2 = [4]+2 = 6

Sheet
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:23 pm

thinkslogically wrote:We'll need some new comic relief if we're losing Cranberry :)
So clutsy bard? Or a barbarian that thinks they can cast? A gnome that thinks they are a kobold, or vice versa?

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:48 pm

Oh Cranberry will still be around to create plot hooks and make your life harder And also slowly becoming your BBEG

Am pretty sure the boots and the staff will have a 5E item that translates well....The cloak I will have to think about cause thats just a weird magic item in the first place. The amulet is pretty easy to customize. ( Reaction. You gain resistance to poison for 1 round or something like that,)

As to fire breathing and the dragonkieth level, it'll properly translate to a fairly small breath attack ( Bonus action 1d6 fire, or whatever element you use damage.) Possibly a +1 to ac. i'll have to look at what each one of us got cause I think we got different things.

Alot of customization will properly be used for this, which is fine, most of my games have alot of homebrew items and powers in them

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:41 am

Okay, Henry got a (free) level in Dragon shaman, some dragon wings that allow him to glide and a magical +1 javelin (I think).

and I don't think I would mind him being a NORMAL rogue. All that spell thief stuff was overly complicated and I don't think I ever much got to USE any of it.
I just want to be useful to the group. And not be overwhelmed by all the bits and bobs on my char.

I know Theis did his best to explain stuff to me (thanks for that :thumbsup: ), but I don't think magic users are the best choice for a newbie with NO rulebook handy.
And with no battle-grid, it's kind of hard to make use of sneak attacks, flanking and backstabbing (which is what the rogue allegedly does best).
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:15 am

I'll have to take a look at the 5th edition book to see what is possible concerning summoning, considering that was Jaspers "thing"... We could homerule the decreased chance to summon something successfully in order for some kind of boost like we used to, but I would not mind just making it auto-succeed like it should. :shifty:

I was also given a level in wyrm wizard.

Concerning magic items, the only item of real significance to Jaspers I believe were his summoners gloves. They gave me +3 to a summoning attempt twice per day, and once per day I could cast summon monster 1 as if I were one caster level higher.

We also got our magic box that gives us everything we need to cast identify like... Once a week, I think?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:46 am

M0rtimer wrote:We also got our magic box that gives us everything we need to cast identify like... Once a week, I think?
Identify is different in 5e. All you need as a wizard with it in your book is a pearl worth 100gp, which isn't consumed by the spell, so you can use it over and over. Having a material component's pouch or arcane focus takes care of the owl feather, and the wine isn't needed. You can even cast it for 'free' as a ritual if you take 10 min to do it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:51 am

I mean, obviously the box should just spit out a random magic item once per week then... ;)

Still, from the brief bit we've played over at the sundered way so far, 100 GP does seem like a fair bit to gather (although not huge). We could just say we got one by now?

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:01 pm

I might actually keep the materials needed for identify just because it really added to the concept of "Oh shit, were really stranded on an island."

Yea, Conjuration in 5E is kinda high level. I think I made a druid who was like fifth level and he could summon like a dozen boars, thats druids though, wizards summons might summon more powerful creatures and require a higher level. As for the gloves I was thinking just changing them to become like gloves of badger summoning, Once per day you can summon a super badger to aid you.

If you don't want to use spells Gathers I can respect that. 5E spells are simplier I find but it's difeantly still more difficult than not having any spells at all. The other two archtypes for rogues are assassin ( More combat based) and thief ( More skill monkey based._)

I will start looking at the characters and try to come up with 5E concepts for you guys. I just need a day when am not super busy to do it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 pm

Darfel loses a bit of his healing focus with the way things work in 5e, and I find it funny that he went from knowing only Common to potentially knowing 4 languages. Not sure I like that for him though.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:38 pm

We can certainly swap and customize to try and stay true to our characters. Like for instance perhaps swapping the languages for the ability to change one spell into a healing spell per day so it semi like 3.5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:42 pm

I had taken a reserve feat that let me cast low level healing essentially as a cantrip (as long as I have a higher level heal prepared) up to half health of the target... is that worth three languages?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:45 pm

Uh, can I see the feat. Not gonna lie, if it's actually like a cantrip that would overpowered.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:50 pm

Touch Of Healing
Type: Reserve
Source: Complete Champion

You can channel divine energy into healing with a touch.
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 2nd-level spells.
Benefit: As long as you have a conjuration (healing) spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you can spend a standard action to touch a target creature and heal 3 points of damage per level of the highest-level conjuration (healing) spell you have available to cast. You can use this ability only on a target that has been reduced to one-half or fewer of its total hit points. The effect ends once you've healed the subject up to half its normal maximum hit points. This ability has no effect on creatures that can't be healed by cure spells.
As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing) spells.

It's not really a cantrip... it's not really anything in 5e, since "Reserve" isn't a thing. It would be less restricted in 5e, since 'available to cast' just means having a spell slot available. The % HP cap might be a place that we could balance it?

Not sure I've ever used it much though... only as a 'ok, battle is over, patch folks up a bit', so not heartbroken if his focus becomes more war, we might just have to actually use that healing belt at some point. ;p
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:58 pm

It's not as bad as I thought but i'll have to think it over....Eh screw sure. You can swap it for the langauges.

Hopefully were not creating super broken characters >.<