Doors and Shadows OOC Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Doors and Shadows OOC Thread

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:33 pm

It was requested that I make a seperate thread for the Doors and Shadows OOC.

As new information is discovered that people may want to reference to, I'll put it in here.

As it currently stands, the party has been shipwrecked on a beach.

Discuss. :)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows OOC Thread

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you :D

I'm having fun with this so far, and am very glad Typhos didn't just auto-die from terrible rolls :lol:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:06 pm

We need to set up a google sheet so that it's easier to access out characters. Also expect most/all Maximillian's speeck to be EXPLANATIONS! :P

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:23 pm

:lol: Haha, sorry about that, I'll definitely get those google sheets together. It's just using the recruitment thread is definitely not the easiest character database to use. :lol:

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:35 am

Well I'm a bit worried that my character can't remember how to cast spells...or use a sword...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:38 am

Naw, she's fine. She has a significant of memory loss, but she probably wont realize how much. For her storyline you mentioned that she had been currently travelling, so that's simply her last memory. It won't even be that weird for her to have shipwrecked if her latest memories are of sailing.

You know, except for the fact that she doesn't actually remember most of the physical items around her except for a few personal trinkets.

Oh, and thinks, so explain to me what you have in mind for what Typhos had been up to before... whatever it is that has happened.

A little more backstory on Max and Trill wouldn't hurt either.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 am

Draco Ex Machina wrote:Naw, she's fine. She has a significant of memory loss, but she probably wont realize how much. For her storyline you mentioned that she had been currently travelling, so that's simply her last memory. It won't even be that weird for her to have shipwrecked if her latest memories are of sailing.

You know, except for the fact that she doesn't actually remember most of the physical items around her except for a few personal trinkets.

Oh, and thinks, so explain to me what you have in mind for what Typhos had been up to before... whatever it is that has happened.

Okay, so does she know who she is even? I mean is this amnesia over everything or does she remember her deep past even?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:05 am

I was honestly going to leave that up to you to decide based on whatever fits the campaign :)

But, I figure if he was living on the material plane before this, he was probably quite happily living somewhere remote, like under a little rocky island in a nice underwater grotto. Largely minding his own business, and spending his time looking after his house and screwing around with his cantrips. Then he got given powers and a purpose for some reason and now he's here and he's forgotten why and everything hurts. Like if Bilbo Baggins was the little mermaid and Gandalf was a Storm god.

Otherwise, he may have just been created; lifted straight out of the elemental plane and dumped into a new body with a slow brain, with a job to do (probably from his deity since he's a cleric) that he's forgotten. Whatever works, just give Ty hints in game and I'll see if the dice let him work it out :)

I'm happy to go wherever you like with this - whether he's on a quest to atone for something, do a job for a god (either legitimately or because something else tricked him), whatever you want, go for it. I'm more than happy to see where this game takes Ty, and I have zero problem with things ending badly for him if that's what the story requires. Drama is fun :)

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 am

Quarg wrote:
Draco Ex Machina wrote:Naw, she's fine. She has a significant of memory loss, but she probably wont realize how much. For her storyline you mentioned that she had been currently travelling, so that's simply her last memory. It won't even be that weird for her to have shipwrecked if her latest memories are of sailing.

Okay, so does she know who she is even? I mean is this amnesia over everything or does she remember her deep past even?
Right, sorry, I'll try to be more clear.

Yeah, she knows who she is. Her specific memory loss only covers a period of a few months, to a few years. The exact period of time, you have yet to discover. She still retains most of her significant skills and memories, but any skills she'd gained during that period of time are obviously absent. :)

Same with everyone else, except for Typhos, who's a bit of a special case.

Speaking of which thinks: Yeah, that's around the same lines as I was thinking. I'll let you figure out your mission, but we'll say you did live on the material plane before this, but it was a much simpler life, and your memories of it are foggy. A lot of what you are has been molded into you by whatever force took you to this place.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 am

Cool, sounds awesome :)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm

So, did Fal get enough insight into Trill's condition before she starts an inter-party fight?
See in the next exciting post...
Same Fal time...
Same Fal channel...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Can Athletics and acrobatics be used interchangeably. I chose my skills based on the assumption that if I wanted to leap between tall buildings then I could use acrobatics, if that's not true I'll probably change that to something else if that's okay

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:20 pm

Just so you know, you guys are going to be entirely responsible for shaping Ty's worldview! Right now it's apparently very colour- and feather-oriented, but Max seems like a good influence :lol:

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:31 pm

Fal is proving to be one of those paladins that saves you...then beats you up because you need to learn not to get into trouble in the first place...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:22 pm

Hey Thinks, can we keep complete OOC comments over here please?

And I don't have a problem with your character's response really...I just thought it was funny compared to the typical 'male human' response.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Sure, I'll try and remember :)

But FWIW, he just has very little idea what you're talking about. He doesn't know what a hearth is for starters, and he probably doesn't know what a nanny is or the Common word for sailor. But it's ok. He's just going to nod and try not to worry too much about it right now while he tries to stay with people who seem nice.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Acrobatics and athletics aren't ENTIRELY interchangeable, but if you want to do parkour/free running style jumps, acrobatics is as good a choice as any.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 am

Provided that Kenku have the same origins in your setting as they do in the DnD universe at large, they are a cursed race of ravenfolk who served a wizard long ago. At the time, they could fly, but not speak, but coveted speech, and eventually stole the ability. The wizard cursed their greed, stripped them of flight and cast them out.

She's a bit over 5 ft tall, roughly 90 lbs, and has black skin where it shows at her feet and hands, with black feathers covering the rest of her.

With the sailor background, Trill spent most of her time in the rigging, serving as one of those keeping watch for enemy sails or shorelines. Being up in the rigging of a sailing ship is closer than most kenku ever get to flying. She's likely to be a mixture of jealous and in awe of Max and his ability to fly.

Her role on ships she'd served on in the past was as lookout, ranged support from above (via crossbow and spells), and playing music, etc. to keep up crew morale.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:57 pm

I imagine Ty is currently "helping" by pawing ineffectively at Scat and generally doing the opposite of helping (accidentally shoving sand at him, or pushing him further in... That sort of thing).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Spider- found these on reddit today in case you're interested? Someone's pulled together a sound board for a bunch of sounds that a kenku might be able to replicate. It might be overkill for a forum, but see what you (and Draco) think:

http://www.soundboard.com/sb/ProfWinning

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:47 pm

Triple post FTW!!

:lol: and here I was waiting to be told if I needed to roll damage or if the spell had gone off "safely" like I was hoping...

My intent was that Ty is spending a fair few minutes on looking at the symbol, so he'd probably just decline the offer of water and keep wondering about it for a while. I intended the wondering stage to last long enough that you guys could collect your gear, look at it, then get bored and wander off out of harm's way.

I was NOT intending to lure you all in with a pile of loot then murder you all with a thunder bomb!

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Eh, the problem is that It doesn't read that way...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:29 pm

Well, it says he's sitting for a "long while" trying to remember whatever's bothering him. Anyway, that's why I clarified the intent here that he'd be thinking this over for more than a couple of minutes.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Hmm...Well then I could change it and do much less damage to poor Fal...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Yeah, this was supposed to be an entertaining way to remember a spell, not a TPK! Sorry if the wording made that unclear :)