Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Doors and Shadows (5e Game)

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Be that as it may, Ty has no particular concept of interspecies beauty and also is a fishman. He is still feeling fragile and now Fal is talking about blood and words he doesn't know and it's making him a little homesick.

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:21 am

TYPHOS
You have retrieved your equipment.
When you probe in the sand, you soon meet the soft thunk of wood. There seems to be some sort of large chest or crate that got buried pretty deeply, over near the rowboat. ((Assuming you were digging near where I said you had seen something.))
Fal
You try to discern why the crow-person has been using your voice back at you, and manage to discern that all of the sounds it makes seem to be things it's already heard people say.
You are beginning to feel fatigued. It may be time to find water, food, and shelter soon.
TRILL
Only lightly buried in the sand, you find what seems to be a silver collar. There is a dull colored purple gem on it, which has a huge crack going all the way through it. You also unearth what appears to be a small keyring.
MAXIMILLIAN
You do not recall the existance of other birdfolk, but though you remember much of your life, there are bits that seem missing, so you could simply be forgetting. Your own people are very diverse, but this new person is unlike any you recall meeting before, and does not even seem capable of flight.
SCAT
((In case you missed it, you have officially woken from your shipwrecked shock. You seem to be underneath part of the wreckage, though you can see a small amount of daylight coming in through a crack between the wreckage and the sand.))
You begin to hear voices murmering indistinctly somewhere above you and to your right.
The sun creeps ever upwards, and the day grows hotter. Not a cloud exists to shade the sky, likely dispersed by the huge storm that must have destroyed your ship and crashed you all onto this beach. It is now late morning, with noon approaching.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:02 am

Scat groans "Ohh, where is scat? Why scat head hurt? "

As he comes to, he hears the murmur of voices above him and tries to hide. Hide: 1D20+8 = [5]+8 = 13

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:15 am

Fal shades her eyes and looks up at the sun..."Alright people we need to find something to bring back water with...and send one of our feathered survivors out to the waterfall to bring it back because as far as I know all we have is this..." She holds up the broken tankard and then places it down on the bit of wreakage she has been sitting on.

Fal turns and begins to search for something to carry water....

Investigate: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12

Note: If someone offers her a waterskin (hint) she will take some liquid from it before ensuring everyone else gets a drink.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:28 am

Trill waits until nobody is directly talking to her to take the key ring to the chest and see if anything in there works. The collar and key ring will go in her pack.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:56 am

"Of course, fair lady! I wil aid you in the search! What else can I help you with?" Max goes to help search for something to hold water.

Investigate, per: 1D20-2 = [8]-2 = 6
1D20+3 = [13]+3 = 16
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:13 am

Ty is delighted to have found some stuff (mostly because he likes the colours, rather than any practical purpose). He is particularly taken by the driftwood quarterstaff and spends some time just admiring it and running his hands over it. A memory bothers him again but he's interrupted by Fal giving instructions and the idea slips away again.

Noticing that the others seem to class boxes as "useful", he spends some time trying to pull the box out of the sand and open it (if possible).

((Yeah, he was searching where you said there was something to find)).

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:29 am

Having found a rather sandy place to hide, not there were many places to hide where we was, he had an intense feeling of needing to pee. And where normally peeing anywhere he was didn't seem like a problem, he was unwilling to piss in the cramped quarters that he found himself in. With a squark of desperation, Scat began trying to dig himself out from wherever he was and wondered if the fastest way to do that would be to get help from those above. He raised his voice, hoping they would hear him. "Scat need help!"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:33 am

((Ty's passive perception is 16. Can he hear the voice from where he is?))

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:13 am

SCAT
The sand moves easily, but is very dense and thick. Please make a generic strength check for your digging.
Gain one inspiration for portraying your instinctive reactions well.

FAL
After some careful consideration and deductive reexamining of things you've already found, you come to the realization that a ship the size of the one that's been destroyed here should have been carrying fresh water on it, probably in barrels. Nothing you've already found directly leads you to either water, nor storage containers for it though.

Gain an inspiration for your dedicated efforts to, y'know, not die from exposure.

TRILL
Noticing that the others seem otherwise occupied, you return to where you unearthed the chest and barrel to try your keys. They all seem like they're probably too small, but lock is still full of sand anyways.
Now that the light is brighter as the sun approaches midday, and you're also a bit more refreshed after taking a break to converse with the newcomers, you can see the details of the chest and barrel better - should you choose to examine them more closely.

MAXIMILLIAN
(('To be fair, beauty and charisma aren't necessarily related.))
You can't think of anywhere new to look for water, but you glance around anyways.
You do notice two big chunks of ship nearby that you haven't searched yet, Trill has wandered over towards one of them and is on the other side of what used to be a ships hull.
There are a few bodies strewn about too, but they don't seem to have much more on than yourself, and are a bit further away.
You also notice several large crates that seem mostly uncovered by sand, and are otherwise rather worse for wear.

One of the nearby bodies has a particularly fancy uniform. The female corpse is half buried in sand, and is located a bit beyond where you might have witnessed Trill dig something up from the sand earlier.

TYPHOS
You spend some time digging down, and unearth a rather nondescript trunk. It is a few feet wide and is clasped, but is otherwise unlocked.

If you would like to remove it from the hole please make an athletics check.

All of those out on the beach soon here a muffled, yet squacking, cry for help. It seems to be coming from the far side of the wreckage, where what used to be the deck of the ship seems almost flush with the sand. However, closer inspection would show a small gap between the deck and the sand itself, and a small creature trying to dig its way out of a small cavity.
((Everyone's passive perception was high enough to hear him.))

((Also, I know this scene has been a bit confusing. I've been doing a pretty crummy job of describing things, though to be fair it's hard to be super specific with a wreckage strewn beach, as there's a lot going on.
If there's anything you'd ever simply like more of a description of, please go ahead and ask.))

((And remember, your environment is pretty cluttered, with both big pieces of ship and several corpses lying around scattered, much of it at least half-buried in sand. You can reroll perception rolls so long as the way you describe what you're looking for specifically and how it's different than what you did previously.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:20 am

Trill inspects both barrel and chest, and begins rolling the former out of the wreckage. Her efforts are put on pause by the squawking, and she trains her crossbow on the source of the sound.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:21 am

Max frowns when he sees the body. He uses his talons to dig into the sand to put on top of her, knowing it's not enough for a burial but at least the others won't see her in this condition. Once he is done covering her up he shouts "Friends! I have found some boxes! They might be useful!"

He turns his head when he hears help. flying towards the sound. Not wanting to hurt the person trapped, he tries to grip under the deck to lift it enough for the person to get out.

Athletic: 1D20+4 = [12]+4 = 16

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:25 am

STR check: 1D20-1 = [3]-1 = 2
Scat scratches feebly at the sand, his small arms quickly losing strength and looks down to see that the non-existence effort has managed to cover his legs his sand. "Scat need Help!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:31 am

Trill hops closer, calling out in the other birdfolk's voice ""What ... can I help you with?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:32 am

Ty easily removes the trunk from the sand (I assume) and opens it up...

Athletics: 1D20-2 = [20]-2 = 18

When he hears the cry for help, he goes to offer assistance with that, since helping people seems to be what you're supposed to do. He is confused by Trill's reaction though and wonders how a crossbow is going to help someone who's trapped...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:36 am

"Dig scat out, quickly!" Scat squeaked, becoming increasingly in distress as the urge to pee began to come in waves of need to relieve vs. urge to withhold it.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:07 am

Tucking the crossbow away, Trill shrugs and helps work to free whatever is under there.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:57 am

Fal is standing on a part of the wreck trying to remember where the stored the water casks and identify any parts. When the call from under the. wreck is heard she frowns slightly. Fal gabs some bits of the wreck, a long piece to act as a lever, a wide piece as a base on the sand, and a thick piece to act as a fulcrum.

She puts the pieces in place under the edge of the deck and pushes down on the lever, "Pull her out as we lever this up."

_: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

"ok!"

Ty tries to help but is worse than useless
Athletics: 1D20-2 = [2]-2 = 0

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:21 pm

The pain was becoming nigh unbearable, and scat continued to claw for the surface. As the wreckage above him is lifted away, he tries to squirm out from beneath the wood.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:00 am

((Is the sand of the beach sufficient to be considered 'fine sand'?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:55 am

TRILL
As you inspect the barrel and the chest, you notice that the barrel has a corked hole for a tap on what had been the bottom side before you began rolling it. It is very heavy. The chest itself seems like it's not in very good condition, the wood having been severely battered in the storm, particularly around the lock and the hinges. You also notice that the hinges are on the outside. ((Please roll for inspecting things closer in the future, but I'm just going to give it to you, for now. :) ))

TYPHOS
Inside the trunk was fairly heavy, but in a surge of uncharacteristic strength, you lift with your legs and manage to pull it out of its hole. Inside you find several packs, all marked with the same gauntlet and lightning symbol.
You find in total:
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) Net, (1) trinket, (1) costume, (1) pouch containing 15 gp, (1) javelin,(1) crowbar, (1) hammer, (10) pitons, (10) torches, (1) tinderbox, (10) days
    of rations, (10) darts, and (1) waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it. You have found Max's equipment.
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) Rapier, (1) Shortbow and quiver, (20) Arrows, (1) bag of ball bearings, (10) feet of string, (1) bell, (5) candles, (1) crowbar, (1) hammer, (10) pitons, (1) hooded lantern, (2) flasks of oil, (5) days rations, (1) tinderbox, and (1) waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it. you have found Scat's equipment.
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) blanket, (10) candles, (1) tinderbox, (1) alms box, (2) blocks of incense, (1) censer, vestments, (2) days of rations, and (1) waterskin.
  • (1) Pack containing: (2) cases for maps and scrolls, (1) set of fine clothes, (1) bottle of ink, (1) ink pen, (1) lamp, (2) flasks of oil, (5) sheets of paper, (1) vial of perfume, (1) sealing wax, and (1) soap.
  • (1) Pack containing: (1) crowbar, (1) hammer, (3) wooden stakes, (1) holy symbol, (1) flask of holy water, (1) set of manacles, (1) steel mirror, (1) flask of oil, (1) tinderbox, and (3) torches.
You then try to help dig a new survivor out of its entrapment, but all you end up doing is collapsing more sand in on it and wiggling your fingers in its direction.

FAL
((You've got a weirdly ambiguous roll there, but it wasn't going to end up too hard to get Scat out anyway with everyone helping, so I'll go with it. I'll treat it as your roll to find your lever.))
You manage to find a suitably sturdy plank in the wreckage nearby and place it under the offending piece of ship's deck. It seems fairly sturdy as you begin to press down.

MAX
You manage to find yourself a good grip on the deck planks, and some solid footing. You can feel the wood shift as you begin to lift.

ALL
Through the combined efforts of those lifting and pulling, the amount of collapsed sand, and the efforts of those pulling, a tiny space manages to open just enough for Scat to squeeze out of the cavity. Just like that, a blurred figure pounces out into the sunny sand like lightning.

SCAT
Your efforts are not in vain. As soon as a space opens up, you manage to shoot out into the open air. The sun is far to bright for your liking, and you feel like it's beating down on you, but you have your freedom to find a place to relieve yourself at your leisure. You are now under the effects of your sunlight sensitivity, and will have disadvantage on attack rolls and perception rolls that rely on sight.

((Sorry for not posting in a while guys, I'd gone out of town for the weekend.

And I'd say that this sand probably doesn't count as fine sand. There's a bunch of stuff mixed throughout it, including coarser particles, rocks, plant and animal matter, etc.

Given time and resources, you'd probably be able to refine some of it into fine sand though.))

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:22 am

As scat emerges from where he was trapped his eyes roll back into his head and a twisted sigh escapes his lips as he pisses into the sand at the feet of his saviors. Once finished, he squints up at them. "Scat is eternally grateful."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:03 am

Ty calls to the others:

"Look at this! These bags have your colours!"

Ty rummages through the stuff a bit until he gets to the holy symbol (I assume it's the same one with the lightning and the fist?), then sits down in the sand nearby holding it in his left palm, and his driftwood staff in the other, turning the wood in his hand until he's holding it like the fist on the emblem, but nothing seems to happen.

The same nagging feeling bothers him about these things, like there's something really big that he's forgotten about... Brows furrowed in concentration, he sits for a long while as the memory hides just out of reach and refuses to form properly.

He sighs and moves to put the symbol away when a ray of sunlight flashes off it, and reflects onto the metal veins running through the driftwood, and the memory of looking upwards through the water at lightning splitting the sky over a violent sea comes rushing back like a wave as the crash of thunder echoes in his mind.

He accidentally casts thunderwave (direction: upwards. Let's not kill anyone today.)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Fal sniff the air as the small koblod pulls himself free of his trap and then relevies himself before them all. She had an odd tingling at the back of her throat but she shakes her head and decides that it is the need for water creeping up on her.

When Ty calls out about the objects she She walks over to where he is busily taking apart a chest. Her eyes alight on the waterskin and she picks it up to see if it contains any water.

If it does she takes a few mouthfuls before offering it to Ty. Of course at this point Ty has cast thunderwave into the sky...

((OOC: I am going to assume at least half of Fal winds up in that cube since Ty is sitting on the ground which puts the cast at about a plane of 4 feet.

Constitution Save: 1D20+2 = [5]+2 = 7

Nope...

Damage: 2D8 = [3, 8] = 11

And down to 1 hitpoint...))
((OOC: Changed due to discussion with player)

Ty ignores Fal far too fascinated with studying a holy relic. Fal sorts through the bags and pulls out a couple of the torches and the rapier sticking them up in the ground to hang the packs from above the sand. She finally notices that the large bird seems to be focused on his own projects and has gotten any water... Fal is a bit concerned and begins to walk towards Max with the water flask when the massive sound of thunder explodes behind her back.

Distance from Ty 1D30 = [25] = 25

A couple of torches, rapier and packs are thrown at Fal by the spells force releasing.

Dodge: 1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4

Apparently smacking her as they are propelled through the air...causing her to swear out in pain [What in the Five Infernal Domains!]
Last edited by Quarg on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr