Colonists of the New World (Open to all)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Colonists of the New World (Open to all)

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:24 pm

"Groff. If you lend me some folk to start bringing ore back, I can get some real tools built.", Thormod says gruffly before heading out to the swamp.

1- build smelter
2- get ore (if loaned workers to get ore, teach them what to look for as well)
3- forge iron parts of tools to aid in whatever work task is deemed most important by Groff (axe heads, spade heads, etc.)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:26 pm

Ok, Freya will be happy to forgo working in the fields herself and will instead spend the season teaching as many npcs to farm as we possibly can.

How much food does our current livestock quorum eat?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Groff spends the start of this season cursing, as he comes to the same realization that they're gonna run out of food... Fast. And starts commanding things accordingly.

"Freya- I want you to focus solely on teaching this season, get us some more skilled farmers... The thirty men I've assigned to you will fit for this, as well as the 14 that had already been doing so... Let us make it 45 men total- We should have some good fields going with that. You can have some designated to begin work on that orchard if you wanted, but focus primarily on efficient crops for now- Wheat, oats, beans..."

"Thormod- I fully agree, as was probably clear with helping you with clearing the path... The forge shall be the next construction priority, once the sawmill is done. If you insist on already beginning construction, feel free to take wood as you need."

-40 people will farm/tutor under Freya.
-13 people will fish (Those already experienced/gaining experience)
-5 people will cut wood
-5 people will process wood
-20 people will first work on finishing the sawmill, then move on to constructing a forge/ aiding Thormod
-7 people will aid Thormod in whatever is needed to get that forge going.
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:08 pm

Freya agrees to the plan, and sets 10 men to clearing ground for an orchard.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:14 pm

► Show Spoiler
RP:
mourn the people who died so far (especially subject 17, he had some progress in carpeting and I was going to make him my apprentice!) and bury them properly (except the ones who got burned, but they should get a tombstone or an entry on a tablet of the death or something similar, too)
Waitaminute. We're vikings. So proper burial IS burning them. Preferably on a raft or similar, out on sea... We can't afford that amount of lumber atm, so erm...

Bjorn will carve a nice, tasteful tablet out of stone and carve onto it the names (and dates) of people who died, to remember them.

actions:

scout/look for clay and/or stone deposits, or any other resources that he can identify. Take a sword and gun (including ammo & powder as needed!) with him and don't stray overly far from the settlement, though. (1 month)
1 month help with sawmill or setting up the forge, if still needed.
1 month make more farming tools (iirc, there's more "farmers" than tools, still?)
if still time, spend the rest of it to learn farming, too (ofc. work on sowing/tending to the fields while he's at it)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 am

Ymer will spend the spring, concerned about food and the well being of others.

His first priority is doctoring those who get sick (should really always be like that, so I'm glad he did the doctor thing even though I didn't mention it)
In his spare time he'll go foraging the area around him.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:20 am

I'm moving some kitties from work to my house over lunch, so probably won't get an update posted until tomorrow, so the following is me taking a little time to make sure I understand what everyone wants.

I'm okay with Ymer being the "doctor as needed", which means he can perform tasks, but could get interrupted in order to save a life as needed. So, if you would like to post some actual actions, I'll keep you as an active doctor for as needed situations.

Bjorn will Scout for Clay, help with sawmill as needed & Make farmtools

Gov'na's orders for the year:
-45 people will farm/tutor under Freya.
-5 people will fish (Those already experienced/gaining experience)
-5 people will cut wood
-5 people will be put to hunting, to see what wild game there might be around....
-25 people will first work on finishing the sawmill, then move on to constructing a forge/ aiding Thormod
-10 people will aid Thormod in whatever is needed to get that forge going.

Thormod:
1- build smelter
2- get ore (if loaned workers to get ore, teach them what to look for as well)
3- forge iron parts of tools to aid in whatever work task is deemed most important by Groff (axe heads, spade heads, etc.)

Thinks:
1. Build paddock
2. Focus on farming

Question: Thinks, do you want to use some of your laborers to build the paddock, or focus on farming?

Also, statement to all...you will soon be getting to a point that cutting forest will be required to build more buildings as you're somewhat running out of space.
1 pixel is about 50 ft, so 1 acre is 8x8 squares. Yes, this means that buildings are a bit over-sized, but sorry, i'll fix that. But I will be using that scale when determining "cleared space"
In addition, this: An average acre of New England forest contains 202 live trees 5 inches and larger in d.b.h., 4,602 seedlings and saplings, and 12 standing-dead trees, or 4,816 trees per acre. Thus about 75 trees per pixel, but only about 5 "big" trees (5" or bigger) per pixel.

^Keep this in mind for expansion.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:27 am

I'd like to spend 15 laborers on the paddock/pasture until it's built, and have everyone farm if/when they're not doing that.

Freya will be teaching everyone all the things, all the time.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 am

Ymer will be full time foraging for food then :)
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:54 pm

Not really an action, but "ideas/advice" for the farming workforce:
Oh, in case we're not doing that already: use the dung from the animals to fertilize the fields. And water the crops as needed. Or drain the fields, if spring rains are too much.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:35 am

With the winter weather finally waning and warmer weather coming, many of the occupants of the Town-Hall move out into the makeshift tents, which although they werenÔÇÖt as comfortable they also werenÔÇÖt as crowded. Having served as Governor of the colony for almost a year now, Groff was becoming more accustomed to the task of ordering around the colonists and he felt the burden of leadership weighing on his soul. More than anything, he felt the gravity of the situation that this colony might starve to death if they didnÔÇÖt find more food. While walking through the fledgling village, Groff occasionally hears grumbles and complaints about the lack of food.

(The colonists are concerned about the lack of food that has been given them, if this isn't addressed, they will ignore orders that they think are against their best interests, that being food production. This may also lead to crimes such as theft from the communal food barrels or hoarding of food instead of sharing what is produced. Sentiment toward Groff by the colonists is quickly turning to distrust as it was he who led them to this point, on the brink of starvation. Starving people...are stupid people, they think of the now instead of the future. Animals will end up being slaughtered, cooked and eaten on the spot, instead of allowed to fatten first. Or, in worse occasions, animals who produce products such as milk or wool may be killed and eaten, because they don't run as fast and can be easily captured.)

All Season:

Ymer spends the season foraging for food amongst the edible berries that he discovered. His knowledge of plants helps him replace his lack of farming skills in this instance. Ymer picks every bush in a 2 miles radius until the bushes are bare, most likely not growing back until next year. HeÔÇÖs able to produce 21 foods.

Governor GroffÔÇÖs orders:
-13 people will fish

73 food is caught. So much fish is caught, that the area has been tapped of resources for now. By the end of the season, the fish were no longer of edible size and the chance of getting any additional fish in this area has dropped considerably. While Groff checks in on their progress a few times during the week, he notices that at the end of the week, only 60 food is submitted to the communal pool. It seems the people are getting worried about having enough food to go around and are starting to hoard it for themselves.

-5 people will cut wood
43 Timber is felled.

45 lumber is produced from 17 timber.

-20 people will first work on finishing the sawmill
20 work is added over the season, (40 of 50)

Freya, thankful to be given charge of so many colonists, had 15 of them begin work on fencing in a large area for the animals. The work was backbreaking but not overly difficult other than the intensity of the manual labor that was required. First, the men focused on digging holes and placing the posts in the ground that Bjorn had made over winter. Having the pieces already finished made this work go quickly, but installing the fencing was taking longer. By the end of the season, 15 of the 25 work was completed. Once finished, 12 acres of land would be closed in for the animals to roam freely.

With the remaining 25 colonists under her control, Freya focused on farming. By the end of the season, they had planted 10 acres of oats. (Unless you would like something different, if so please ask for what you want) Several colonists gained skill in farming

Spring 1:

Bjorn scouts out the land, taking with him a sword and a gun. He follows the path of the river as it winds its way through the low hills and as he does so easily finds a good source of clay. However, when he used a shovel to determine how deep the clay when, he was disappointed to find it only existed on the surface and only in a very small amount. (~location of sawmill). Further explorations up the river led him to the motherload of clay. Located soon after the river ran from the swamp, a small hill beside the river bank which lay exposed to the elements and by his estimation, the entire hill was composed of clay. Marking the location, he explored further away from camp and found that on the other side of the swamp was a sizable lake.

With the clay that Bjorn found, happy that it was close to the source of the iron, Thormod had the 7 men that were loaned to him gather it and bring it to the location that he determined was best to create a site for his smelter. With their help, he cleared a few trees on the hilly side of the river, across from the swamp and tried to make the land a bit flatter. The 7 men collected 17 units of clay and with it were able to create 3 clay furnaces to use to smelt the bog iron.

Spring 2:

Now that the smelters were created and some land cleared, Thormod led the men through the swamp and showed them how to find the bog iron, which collected on the bottom surface. Over the course of the month, the men were able to find 21 pellets of iron, which had a combined weight of 163 units of unrefined iron. (The bloomery furnaces youÔÇÖve created can refine about 3d3 units of unrefined iron per season, and will need to use 1d3 units of charcoal. Wood Charcoal can be made from timber at a rate of 7d2 units of charcoal per timber. Wood Charcoal burns hotter than timber which is needed for the refining process. Wood Charcoal is not efficiently used for heating of houses though because it burns up faster, making it less efficient.) Quick to try out his new furnaces, Thormod creates 2 units of refined iron by the end of the month.

Bjorn helps work on the sawmill, adding 2 work (42 of 50)
Spring 3:
Thormod forms the 2 units of iron into 2 ax heads. And with the time he has left in the month, creates ax handles for them as well. He has created 2 additional lumbering tools.
The men made started in on making charcoal for future use. They produce 75 charcoal from 7 timber.

Bjorn continues helping with the sawmill, adding 2 more work (44 of 50)

In the final months of spring, a black storm rolls in from the ocean, bringing with it thunder and lightning and waves which crash onto the shore as if angry at the men who huddled in the town-hall, waiting out the storm. With the storm came howling wind which beat on the outside as If a mad-man was trying to break in and around them they heard crashes in the forest. The next morning, several trees had fallen around the village. As the colonists inspected their buildings, they found that a large tree that was several feet in diameter, had fallen and had struck the still unfinished sawmill, (how ironic) setting the work back (32 of 50).

A shout for the doctor came from the beach and soon all of the colonists turned up to find that 3 men had washed ashore along with a few scraps of wood which looked to be parts of a mast. 2 of the men were dead, the other, looking rough but alive. Ymer patched up the man and asked him his name. (Quarg enters the scene).

The following days found more random things washed ashore, but no more people, among the debris were 3 small barrels of rum.

► Show Spoiler
Buildings:
Town - Hall
Barn
Partially fenced in acreage
Partially finished sawmill and now partially damaged.

End of Spring
► Show Spoiler
Current Governor: M0rt, 1st of 2 term in office
Season: Spring

.[tabs: Spider]
Name: Thormod Thorgilsson
Skills:
Carpentry (1)
1d4(/month) + JS(*5%) x ToT(If >0)
Soldier (1)
Action Required
Blacksmith (3)
1(/month) + JS(*15%) x ToT(If >0)
Food: 0
ToT: Blacksmithing (+1)

[tabs: Thinks]
Name: Freya Olafsdottir
Skills:
Farming (2)
1d7(/month) + JS(*10%) x ToT(If >0)
Brewing (3)
1d4(/month) + JS(*15%) x ToT(If >0)
Food Produced:
51 Wheat Flour
28 Barley Flour
10 Beans
ToT: Brewing (+1)

[tabs: Theis]
Name: Ymer J├©rgensen
Skills:
Medicine (4)
1(/month) + JS(*20%) x ToT(If >0)
Botany (1)
Food: 21 (lots of berries)
ToT: Medicine (+1)

[tabs: M0rt]
Name: Groff
Position: Governor
Skills:
Lumbering (3)
1d7(/month) + JS(*15%) x ToT(If >0)
Fishing (1)
Soldier (1)
Action Required
ToT: Lumbering (+1)

[tabs: Gathers]
Name: Bjorn Cloudhammer
Skills:
Carpentry (2)
1d4(/month) + JS(*10%) x ToT(If >0)
Masonry (3)
ToT: Masonry (+1)

[tabs: Quarg]
Name: John Bates
Skills:
Fishing (3)
Explorer(1)
Carpenter(1)
ToT: N/A

[tabs: NPC's]
Quantity: 91 colonists
Skills:

Food: 0/each[/tabs]
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:41 am, edited 6 times in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:52 am

The colonists have become concerned about food. If their concerns aren't addressed, there is a strong chance that they won't listen to the governors demands and begin to find food on their own.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:12 am

Freya will aim to finish the paddock for the animals with 15 men, and continue teaching the rest to farm.

Badge, what's the food output for each crop type?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:03 am

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 am

So am I reading it right that AT WORST, wheat provides the same food as oats (1x3x1) by the time it's bread?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 am

► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am

So what are we eating when we plant wheat?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:21 am

► Show Spoiler
RP/addressing the people (so they don't mutiny - or perhaps are willing to work and extra shift on food-bringing projects :paranoia: o:) )
Bjorn, filled with concern, steps in front of the people one day and tries to get everyone's attention.
"My friends and fellow colonists. I know that you are worried about food and how we will keep the production of it ahead of the need to feed all of us in the near future.
I am not sure that I know the answer to that, but let me assure you that I will try my best - as should all of you should try your best.
Therefore I ask all of you not to take away from the communal food for your personal gain. I'm not going to point any fingers, but the whole community here is poorer for it. Both because food is hidden away in a place where it might rot before it's eaten, and for the mistrust that such actions are sowing between us.
As for making more food: We will gain more experience at what we are doing, and thus get more and more successful in providing for ourselves.
We will build new tools and structures that will help with a more efficient way of producing food. You know I'm not just telling you a bunch of crap, from the tools I myself crafted for farming and fishing. From the fields of crops that you have planted. From the barn that some of you build for the animals we have to keep them warm in the winter, under some horrible, tragic losses.
These sacrifices will not be in vain and their names shall forever be remembered, as I have put them on this stone tablet here, to keep track of our past heroes of everyday life, and will continue to do so as the need arises, but I hope I don't have to, for a very long time.
You can help with that. Yes, you. Each and every one of you, every day of this year. Help make this colony strong and prosper, help keep your fellow colonists alive, help make enough food for everyone, help by giving it all you have got and more.
I am planing to make a simple mill, so we can grind that wheat to flour, and once that is done, I am going to try an make an oven for baking bread. If you feel like helping me out - in your spare time, if you got any - you are more than welcome to."

actions:
Try and build a contraption from the grindstones to create a "simple" mill (put 2 grindstones on top of each other, make one of them immobile, make the other turnable by some animal (e.g. goat), or by men (depending on the size of the grindstones, but I'm trying to save men-work-hours here). (using carpentry and/or masonry as needed, working as long as it takes to finish this; Shouldn't take too long as we already have the grindstones, so a place to put it, a couple of lumber and work force should do it, much quicker than having to build a whole building - mill - for it and the wheel - either for wind or water; not saying we shouldn't do the other one, too, but make a simple quick to build one will help us bridge over to when we got time/resources enough for the big one...)
► Show Spoiler
If time left over, try to make an oven (for bread making) out of clay, stone or whatever else is at hand and works. - If that is not feasible with raw clay, make bricks first.
If time left over, make more farm tools (until # of tools = number of farmers)
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 am

((What did my workers do in Spring 3? What do I need to do to achieve a "Good" set of tools?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:35 am

"You're all scared aren't cha... Well I've never been the best at beating around the bush, so I'm gonna say it plain as day. Perhaps you've right to be. But it ain't gonna help nothing."

"We got plenty of food incoming. Freya's been teaching some of you, and those same people are gonna properly work the fields now. We still got fish, we'll explore hunting... We're going to be fine. Which is why I'm not going to be making a big deal about what happened... I'll just ask all of you if you can consider yourself a proper viking to pull such a stunt."

With a couple words wasted, Groff distributes orders again- Keeping those working on farms there, hoping to lessen the amount of work there as improvements are made and the colonists become better at their job... Although for now, it's definitely necessary. As always, try to take the skilled individuals first. He'll also request from Thormod to focus primarily on making farming tools...

He shall not put any restrictions on the distribution of the food- Giving every colonist the 1 unit of food this season... If he can figure out "thieves" from last season, he won't make remarks about it yet, but he will remember these suspects.

-40 people will farm/tutor under Freya.
-5 people will fish (Hopefully not too many to still allow fish to "recover"... And they can always just take the boats a bit farther, too.)
-8 people will collect clams/similar foods from the nearby shore
-5 people will hunt
-5 people will cut wood
-12 people will first work on finishing/repairing the sawmill, then move on to constructing a mill.
-10 people will gather iron pellets and/or clay for Thormod, as he requests. (iron by default)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:40 am

^As gov'na, everything in the communal food storage is at your disposal. Thus, as gov'na, you will need to actively release food to the people.

This is because, if/when it comes to the point of having less food than people, you will need to choose who gets food and who doesn't.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:41 pm

John approaches the governor, "Sir, having grown up fishing most of my life, we need to make the boats have a longer range by making them sailboats to get more fish. Also so we can dredge and see if we can find any oyster beds or such..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:21 pm

((I may be able to help make metal bits to outfit the boats? Perhaps some winches to haul nets in too?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:34 pm

"I can probably make masts and suchlike, if you tell me what it is exactly you need." Bjorn, who overheard the conversation between the newcomer and the others, chimes in.
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:19 am

Ymer will spend the season getting a look at local plant life and bring home anything that seems good to start an orchard with and bring it to Freya.

Sorry kinda forgot I haven't posted with all the food stuff going on.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked