The gladiators! (Open to join between every battle)

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

The gladiators! (Open to join between every battle)

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:50 pm

You all walk through a dark hall towards the daylight you haven't seen for a couple of days. You meet a couple of guards handing you a wooden dagger to your dismay. At least everyone else gets the same weapon to your relief. The rumors you've heard in your cells have been of a battle royal to break the new slaves into their new lives as gladiators and you've been preparing mentally for the day to come. You enter the arena and look around at the 31 other combatants. Some already seem to argue between each other or discussing potential alliances. Several people are also trying to avoid the one drow present, talking of targeting him first. A large wooden box stands in the center and you are not entirely sure what's going on with that, maybe it's filled with weapons to improve your chances of being the last one standing. Before you can consider the best strategy for yourself you hear a loud bellowing voice from a podium above.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to the Blood pits! We've prepared a special treat for you tonight! 32 new slaves have been brought forth for your amusement and to fulfill your cravings for blood! The battle royal have however been cancelled today in favor of showing some of the new wonderful pets that have been brought into the pits! Let's have a roaring cheer as we release the hounds!"

During the speech you hear growling from the box and at the end, the box opens on every side and these ugly weird looking dogs come growling out looking at their surroundings. One of the dogs seems particularly terrifying as it carries the stench of death and glares around with its two heads. Most of the dogs takes a moment to adjust to the sunlight except for one that charges ahead snapping after a nervous guy who manages to jump out of the way..

Initiative list
Dog 3
M0rt
Dog 2
Wears
Burns
Thinks
Commoners
Spider
Two headed dog
Badge

It's evening and the arena is not in direct sunlight at the moment so Badge you don't have disadvantage during this fight

So some of this is my amazing artwork and some of it I've blatantly stolen on the interwebs, not that you can see it as I've destroyed any semblance to the originals by fitting it into my small grid. Some may think they recognise some of the art but I assure you it is completely illogical to think I would take anything from people on this forum :shifty:
Last edited by Theis2 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot how to english
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: The gladiators! (Open to join between every battle)

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:41 pm

((I throw a mushroom at the platinum dragonborn :lol:

Give me a shout if you want any sprites done. They won't be done quickly, but I can certainly whip up some tokens for anyone who survives this))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm

... Am I a Pok├®mon?
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:07 pm

In our own minds are we not truly pokemon? Is that not the question you should ask?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:12 pm

[Just posting so it shows up in my posts]
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:04 pm

@Thinks The mushroom explodes and kills all around the dragon born in an icy blast! It was too perfect to let the picture go to waste since Spider is going for paladin after this fight :lol:
Part of the plan with this game was to practise a bit of simpel drawing but after a while I ran out of creative juices and patience so that's the reason only the human ish people got hit badly with the ugly stick. But thanks for the offer and I might just come crying to you at some point! :lol: the grid is 20 by 20 pixels so not a lot to work with might have to change that in the future

@Wears nooooooo :shifty:
It was that or the weird red blob stick and should you reach a high enough level then something might just happen to it :paranoia:

@M0rt stop sucking and post an action already!
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:27 am

► Show Spoiler
Bort spends this turn at first idly poking at his dagger, not really managing to "cut" himself... Besides a splinter, maybe- After a while turning to the guy on his right-

"Hi! Am Bort!"

(Holding an action for now, will counterattack anything attacking me... What roll even is a wooden dagger?)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:37 am

What weapons do we get? How much damage do they do?

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 am

First post of this thread says wooden daggers. First post of the recruitment thread has a little more detail.
... armed with wooden daggers, just like you, dealing 1d2 damage!
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:21 am

No bonuses from str or dex?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:55 am

((I'm assuming physical ability mods apply, but no proficiency in the attack roll?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 am

Wears is correct, so only slightly better than pounding on the dogs with your fist and since it's a dagger it count as a finesse weapon. They work just as regular weapons except being made of wood and dealing less damage. I don't think there are any weapons that doesn't allow for your modifier to be added to attack roll and damage so I don't see why the wooden dagger should be any different. You don't have any proficiencies with any weapons yet unless they are racial so you are stuck with ability scores.
The guy to the right looks confused at Bort for a moment and the dog in front of you seize the moment and grabs hold of his arm for a moment before he manages to pull it away from the dog as he screams from the sudden pain
"Are you trying to get me killed with distractions?!"

Initiative list
Dog 3
M0rt
Dog 2
Wears
Burns
Dog 1
Thinks
Commoners
Spider
Two headed dog
Badge
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:17 am

((as a free action: "Hi Bort! I'm Viskek"))

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:15 am

"Dogs? What an insult. Here, get out of my way."

I stomp my way E and then NE, shouldering aside the weaklings. (That's just flavor text. I'm not actually moving or attacking them. I just big, and I'm not worried about being polite as I squeeze diagonally between them. This is the arena.)

Not sure how big those squares are compared to my movement speed, but if I have an action left I'll stab the dog.

(Curse you for making me hit a dog, Theis. I love dogs.)

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 am

I move left one, sneak and start sneaking along the arena twoard nearest doge.

Stealth: 1D20+6 = [4]+6 = 10

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm not sure where you want to sneak to, the nearest dog is within reach 5 ft above you so you want to move left 5 ft, hide and then go into melee with it?

Want me to roll for you wears? Also sorry about having you attack dogs, but I promise you, these will deserve it in the end, I think!
Update will have to wait for tomorrow
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:23 pm

I was waiting to roll until I was sure I could attack. But if you're willing to roll for me, that would make things simpler. It's a bit of a chore on mobile. But I can do it this time. No reason to hold things up. My STR is 20, which means a +5 mod on both melee attack and damage, right? No other modifiers to apply.

Attack: 1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24

Damage: 1D2+5 = [2]+5 = 7

Is that right or does my lack of weapon proficiency change things?

► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Theis2 wrote:I'm not sure where you want to sneak to, the nearest dog is within reach 5 ft above you so you want to move left 5 ft, hide and then go into melee with it?

Want me to roll for you wears? Also sorry about having you attack dogs, but I promise you, these will deserve it in the end, I think!
Update will have to wait for tomorrow
Yes. Pretty much. My stealth was poor so i dont expect it to work.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:33 am

The powerful dragonborn stomps through the weaklings and shows them how it's done as he slams the dagger into the dog. He hears a loud crack, not entirely sure if it's from the dog or the dagger. The halfling attempts to hide but notices the dog visibly followed Cats movement and she decides to move up to it and threaten it a bit.
The dog near Rez jumps forward to the nearest human and snaps threatening at him, not managing to make contact.

Initiative list
Dog 3
M0rt
Dog 2
Wears
Burns
Dog 1
Thinks
Commoners
Spider
Two headed dog
Badge
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:20 am

((what does the brown box look like?))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:46 am

It's a box made of wood, not very thick. It's open in the middle on all 4 sides, the opening being about 5 ft wide. It's also 5 ft tall.
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:20 am

Viskek moves back and down towards Bort, angling himself to watch the dogs carefully as he readies himself to fend off any attacks.

((Action: dodge))

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:27 am

Moved you 15 ft, just tell me if you want to change position.

The people start charging the dogs realising they have to make quick work of the dogs if they want to stand a chance before the hounds get serious about harming them.
There are several people piling on the two headed dog, trying their worst, but so far the wooden daggers just seem to infuriate it more than damaging it.

The dog to the east is similarly surrounded by people, although they are more wary of it and only one manages to strike the dog as it continues its attack on the poor guy it already have bitten as he tries to escape it after throwing his dagger past it in panic. The dog gets a hold of his body and clenches down with its teeth, collapsing the man in front of him. He utters his last words faintly before dying. "I hate you Bort, it's all your fault!"

The west and south side is similar although more people manages to sneak in an attack harming it a little bit. The dog to the south seems like the attacks are getting to it and looks worried at the people surrounding it.

Initiative list
Dog 3
M0rt
Dog 2
Wears
Burns
Dog 1
Thinks
Commoners
Spider
Two headed dog
Badge
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:31 am

Rez'taxkraafarnukrazzk shoulders past two of the peasants before moving into the open spot on the far side and slamming his dagger down on the pup.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:42 am

Once its my turn.

Martin looked around the arena he found himself thrust into and snarled at the jeering crowds. As he looked around the arena, his eyes alighted on the two-headed monstrosity that stood before him, surrounded by commoners trying to stab it and he felt his throat dry up.
"Snuffles?" he asked, a keening wail beginning to rise in his throat, "Is that you."
Martins eyes begin to get bloodshot with angst and anger, froth began forming at the edges of his mouth.
"What are they doing to you snuffles!"
Martin charged at the closest of the commoners, stabbing him in the back with his wooden knife.
Wooden stabbing: 1D20+4 = [16]+4 = 20
stabby mcstabs-alot damage: 1D2+4 = [1]+4 = 5