Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 pm

thinkslogically wrote:Google says one loaf of French bread contains 1200 calories. If we round that up to allow for wholewheat varieties, that's still probably only 1500-2000 calories at most, which would be about the energy requirements for a typical (fairly sedentary) person.
The loaves I bake (I bake bread as my 3rd job), START at ~2700 calories... they also weigh 3+ lbs.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:13 pm

((holy crap!! That's impressive! Also, how on Earth do you manage 3 jobs!?!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:18 pm

((The second job is 10-15 at a beer and wine shop, I'm in charge of brewing supplies, but can get grading done when it's slow. The bread I take orders and bake a few loaves a week during the cooler months to sell to co workers on campus.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:24 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:((The second job is 10-15 at a beer and wine shop, I'm in charge of brewing supplies, but can get grading done when it's slow. The bread I take orders and bake a few loaves a week during the cooler months to sell to co workers on campus.))
Apparently there is no money in spiders...

Also, it looks like we need to start making money...and all I know about is salt, pearls, and leather...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand why the hunters don't use at the very least the wheelbarrows to get the meat back to the colony. Yes it's unwieldy and it's a sh*tty job having to go with it where there are no roads, but the lives of people in the colony literally would depend on getting back as much meat as possible. They can attach one or two onto their backs with leather straps while empty and going out to hunt and bring it back full, taking turns in shoving it.

Also, most hunting parties would use poles (like a slightly whittled into form small tree or big branch, that's something they can do on the run, if need be) to tie their hunting booty's legs to them with straps of leather and then carry it between two - or four - men home whole. Is this a method they are using?
We can't keep on killing animals and wasting their meat. If carrying more is not a possibility then we need to teach them to preserve the meat AT the hunting grounds and then bring it back little by little.

I am unhappy with the change that ToT get "used up" when an NPC gets dedicated to a different profession. Does he eat them up or destroy them in a tantrum when he's not allowed to work as a e.g. farmer anymore?

I wanted to ask: Should our animals have reproduced once more by now?

Can you please give us at least an idea how much the debt is/how long it will take to pay back? Like what is the gold coin worth of those pearls? Or the pelts we collected?

@co-players: I would like to order food from the captain that keeps long, so we'll have some fall back reserves. I have no idea what that would cost, though. Any input on that, bagde?

Oh, and before I forget: welcome to the game, Draco. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:45 am

You have no idea what the hunters did or didn't do because typically for commoners I just fast track the info, but someone died, so I feeled the need to elaborate. With commoners, numbers are numbers and how I feel to explain how I got those numbers is how it is. It has nothing to do with whether or not they had backpacks or wheelbarrows. The other thing you seem to not be understanding is that these guys are sometimes going days away from the village. It is not feasible to carry meat, in a wheelbarrow, through the very hilly landscape back to the village. Typically what they would do would be to field dress their kill, take the choice cuts off of them, cure them as best as they can and then bring them back to the village. Another thing for you to keep in mind in the sheer magnitude of how many 50 "Units" of food is. we're talking about enough food to feed 50 people for 3 months. Thats a huge amount of food.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy that ToT's are used up, it's up to you and the others to decide if it's worth it. You're complaining about me trying to balance reality into a game.

potentially...but hey, at least they have a barn to sleep in for the winter.

Paying back your debt: Pearls, leather, pelts, etc....these things are almost always to be considered RAW resource, minus the pearls. I also just discovered that I gave you way way too many pearls...don't count on me making that mistake again

For simplicity sake, I'll be using the following for money counting. You owe 10,000 L
1 pound (L) = 20 shillings (s)
1 crown = 5 shillings
1 shilling = 12 pence (d)

Please use this location for Prices, I'll probably only make them fluctuate when you start abusing them.

Now, on this list you'll find that 3 strings of pearls are 70 shillings. But you guys only have raw pearls that haven't been beaded. technically a RAW resource. So each decent pearl is worth about 2 shillings each, less decent about 6 pence each, and the 4 very good ones about 5 shillings each.

Leather/hides and such is not mentioned on the list, but a beaver pelt will get you about 3 s each, Deer about 2 s, buffalo about 5 s. The bear hide would be more like a special item, which you won't get as many or as often, and is about 10 s.
If you think it should be higher (or lower) I'm willing to hear your thoughts

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:50 pm

Dear Badge: I'm not calling you out for the option, I was trying to tell my co-players that I don't like the prospect of losing tools that we worked hard to get. But then again I suppose with some income of ore and the forge in place, we could afford that, too. It's not my decision (at all? but at least alone) to make, anyways.

In any case, I would like to apologize if I came across unfriendly (that goes for anyone, not just badge), that wasn't my intent. :)

Do you happen to have any ETA on when you might be able to resume updates?

Also, thanks for the info on prices. That helps a lot getting an idea of how deep in sh*t debt we are.
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:18 am

Resuming updates is easier when everyone updates their actions.

Which is a good time to ask whether or not people are having fun and if posting actions seems overly complicated?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:22 am

Nah, sorry, I'm having fun- It's just that it takes a while to properly go through everything (especially being governor) and you posted at a time I didn't have an abundance of time... And then I forgot about it.

I'll try and get something up soonish.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:48 am

I was sort of looking for some group direction at the moment really...

Actually, I'd like to take the longboat out and teach some people how to sail the damn thing while exploring the coast.

What do you say Gov'?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 am

So just finished reading through, and noticed at the end it says that other people can only rule over a max of ten persons each? What does that mean exactly? Does it mean I can say at most that Thormod will for example get 10 people to do his bidding?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:44 am

yes. I did it to eliminate abuse in the "skill learning/teaching" system.

not that it was intentional abuse.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 am

Fair enough, but I'd humbly request to potentially change it to just saying that someone can only tutor a max of ten at a time, not necessarily only be able to command ten? Then the governor (me, for now) can still say "I'm giving you thirty people to use to farm as needed", but they'd only be able to teach ten.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:03 am

I'm okay with that...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 am

Sure. I'm just farming for now, but have plans for a pub later in the game when Freya can stop worrying so hard about keeping everyone alive.

Edit: i had asked in the main thread, but is it possible to farm thru autumn / winter or should she be focusing on livestock?
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:09 am

Actually, we do have a smokehouse? I mean it is the way to preserve all of this meat we are creating...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:17 am

Yeah, we can only harvest during autumn- No point harvesting/planting in winter.

And no, we don't have a smokehouse (yet)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 am

I suggested that we build one near the buffalo grounds with a hunting lodge so that folk could stop wasting so much meat. It would be useful to be able to save the pelts as well (if we're not already. Furs would be valuable trade to send home).

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:17 am

Badge: You mentioned hunters knowing what they needed to preserve the hides and such that they hunted, does that also go for meat, so hunters would know what was needed for a smokehouse already?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 am

Yes, I would imagine that a hunter would know roughly "how" a smokehouse would need to be built, but that doesn't necessarily know they know how to build it. if that makes sense.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:53 pm

Also looking at the tabs of the bottom of the update, I think you forgot to update the amount of NPC's available? Think it's 109, currently..?

Draco Ex Machina
Of Few Words

Post by Draco Ex Machina » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:10 pm

Am I supposed to have a tab?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Just seen in the update that we're expecting more mouths to feed come next year. How many of the commoners have wives? I assume we can have them do work for us, right?

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:26 am

I'm not counting the "wives" in on mouths to feed at this time. It's almost as if I'm not counting them at all in the number of things. Think of units of food as enough to feed a "family unit".

I'll add you in Draco, sorry about that.

and yes, I'll update the commoners number.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:40 am

Oh and the Spanish Claim is real by the way...basically the seperated all of north and south america vertically (using a north-south line) with most of north and south america going to the Spanish and Brazil going to Portugal.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr