Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Colonizing the New World (Open to all) (OOC)

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

Colonizing the New World - A re-imagining of the initial attempts to settle the new world.

After a fascinating discovery by Christopher Columbus in the year 1492, the great nations of the world plotted on how best to take over this new land for themselves. It wasn't until over 100 years later that these nations would take part in successfully colonizing of the new world. The Kalmar Union knew better, it wasn't as big or as powerful as the other nations and because of this, it secretly gathered a group of 100 interested individuals and sent them on a voyage across the great ocean to whatever lands they might find on the other side. The year is 1500, the boat is waiting in the docks, filled to capacity with things that the Kalmar Union thinks you'll need in the new lands. Unsure of whether or not this settlement attempt would be successful or not, those people that were sent were of minimal to zero skill, but they were strong and proud and determined and the Kalmar Union thought that that should be enough to survive.

While the Kalmar Union deems itself as the ruler of whatever colony is established, it also understands that governorship is an important facet in any town or city and thus tells those going that they shall elect one of their number every 2 years to act as ruler of the colony which they are going to create. Otherwise, the Kalmar Union doesn't ask for much, other than to pay back the initial cost to build this settlement as fast as possible and make them money...otherwise you might find the supplies they send to be lacking.

The style of this is open to everyone and unlike other games, you get a character at the initial start of the game. Each year progresses in 1/4 amounts by season. From the moment you land and every 2 years (for now) after, you shall elect among your number a governor of the colony. The government system established is very simple and governors can typically get away with anything, you know, unless they accidentally die.

Voting: Casting a vote is simple and open, each PC has 1 vote and you may vote for yourself, a governor is always a PC, NPCs have a vote, but tend to vote for the most popular candidate. NPC's are not to be abused however, and if the current gov. is up for re-election, may vote against him/her en masse due to their dissatisfaction.
Being the Gov.: Your position is one of both Power and Peril, with your word, the citizens of the colony perform tasks, in any way you desire. Make them all do one task or split them up into many tasks. Many decisions will need to be made and some of them may be hard ones, citizens may die due to your choices, it'll be up to you to make the decisions that you feel is best for the colony and laugh in the face of fate as you do, while at the same time hoping you get re-elected as to keep all of your power.

The non-skilled citizens who the gov. give commands to receive a passive bonus for doing tasks in which the gov. is skilled at.
(Example: The gov. has a job skill of 1 at farming. Each non-skilled citizen who works at farming, instead of creating at a 1:1 rate, create at a 1:2 rate)

In addition, the non-skilled citizens can gain job skills at a better rate when being governed by someone with the job skill.
Being a Player: Unlike the unlearned masses, you came to the new world with a job skill, which grants you a certain level of autonomy over other people. Following or not following the gov's demands is entirely your decision.
Job Skills: Coming from the motherland to the New world is risky, which is why <players> have job skills. You have 5 points to spend in any manner you wish, on any job skill you can imagine, though the more common the skill the more likely you'll live long enough to use it. (Job Skill examples: Lumberjack, Farmer, Carpenter, Blacksmith...)

Job skills have various levels, with 10 being "Mastery". See Production below for how to use Job Skills.
Job Skill bonus Explanation: Your level of Job Skill adds a % bonus to your production amount. Each level adds an additional 5% of bonus resource created. When dealing with rounding, Basic & Medium tasks are rounded down to the next whole number. Complex tasks create "unfinished" goods, which can be completed during the next season of using that Job Skill.

Each season of working a Job skill gives you the chance of gaining "new insight" into that skill. This "insight" gains you "points" which build up to a skill point, based on how far along the "Mastery Track you are." When developing skills in a new area, it is hard to gain insight, but you need less of it, while having more skill makes it easier to gain insight but you need more of it.

The highest job skill you possess grants you "tools of the trade" which you bring with you from the Kalmar Union. Unless of course you put 1's in everything and then you have 1 random set of tools for 1 of your skills. "Tools of the trade" grant an additional +1 bonus when used to create something, moreso, not having the "tools of the trade" will probably mean not being able to make all the things.

Tools of the Trade: These are the simple tools that help you do your job, but they are by no means the best tools that money can buy. While the Kalmar Union does want to create a successful colony, they don't want to spend more money than they have to in financing it. There are however, instances in which you could improve or buy better tools. ToT bonus's result in an additional die roll for resource production. With a basic ax, a Lumberjack lvl 1 + Ax = 2d10 (Base) + 1d5 (base quality ToT) + 10% (Skill)

NPC's and unskilled players can use ToT's from a skill they don't have with varying degrees of success. This follows the "Complexity graph", As task become more complex, you make less of them. In the same sense, the tools needed for the job are also more complex. Unskilled can use ToTs as long as their use is on the lowest end of the complexity chart, which means minimal understanding or minimal interaction. Unskilled who use ToTs of basic job skills will get their bonus in determining amount of resource produced.

It is worth noting that you may at times need to enlist the help of someone else to create or fix your tools should they break, meaning that this is a living breathing community of sorts.

NPCs gain Job skills too, though at a lesser rate and what they learn is based on how the gov uses them.

Teaching Skills:
Skills can be taught, making learning a job skill easier, however doing so will make you less efficient that season.
Production:
Production quantities become more difficult the further along the complexity graph they travel.
Basic Complexity
2d10 (Base) + 1d5 (base quality ToT) + 10% (Skill)
Medium Complexity
1d5 (Base) + 1d3 (base quality ToT) + 10% (Skill)
Complex
1 (Base) + 1 (base quality ToT) + 10% (Skill)

Chopping down trees is a basic task which earns 2d10 + JS + ToT.
Refining that wood into lumber is also a basic task which earns 2d10 + JS + ToT.
Further refining that lumber into boards earns 1d10 + JS + ToT
Creating things from those boards earns 1 + JS + ToT

Note that in almost all situations, Tools of the Trade (ToTs) are required to perform a task.
NPC Production (Via Gov'nors demands) - This is typically driven on a 1 to 1 scale, which means, in most cases, the more the merrier when trying to get something accomplished. However, certain tasks do gain a d20 roll to determine quantity created.
Non-Skill Player Production: Throughout the complexity graph of rolls, this ranges from 1d5, 1, 1d3 (0, 0 & 1). Meaning that simple skills can still net you something, medium complexity skills can produce a small amount and very complex skills could create nothing. However, if the doctor is dying and no one has those skills, saving his life by trying something you can't do well might very well be worth the otherwise loss of the season.
Food & Bartering:
Starvation in colonial times was rampant, thus food is a resource that is both in short supply and important. Food is created either by farming, hunting or fishing and are in some cases limited based on the season of the year. The ship that will bring you to your new homes will have a limited supply of food on board, with the understanding that food production is your first priority. Food is allocated as 1 food per person per season. This is a tracked item. Rationing is possible, but will cause negative effects on people in later seasons. Farming is a basic skill, meaning 2d10 + JS + ToT is created by a person each season. Fishing is a medium complexity skill earning 1d10 + JS + ToT and hunting is a complex skill gaining 1 + JS + ToT.

Bartering: In the early colonial times, the farmers were the ones who typically didn't starve to death, earning them "purchasing power". Bartering was important in this time and the amount something was worth was typically decided on by those who were doing the trading. Because of this, players will need to track how much food they "own", because running out, might kill them. Having skills that can create items with worth is important to survive.

Hired Help: Citizens that are otherwise under the gov. control can be hired to help a player if the conditions are right....one of those conditions is if you happen to be a farmer and the npc is otherwise starving. Food..is an important resource.

Death: Death comes quickly and typically unannounced in the colonies, but feat not, the motherland sends you her boats filled with new settlers who will help your fledgling village grow, well, as long as you make them rich by sending them nice things. New players that want to join after the colony is started must wait until a ship visits the colony which is typically every year. Death doesn't have to be the end, make a new citizen and join the fray of colony life once more, steal the nice things that your dead citizen made...you know, unless the governor claimed it and gave it to someone else already. Of course, if everyone starts dying...it's not really stealing is it.
As this is a re-imagining of the New world, this new world probably won't look much like the existing new world, and there is a possibility of finds new things that are, odd at best.

The world you are entering is a reactionary one, I will attempt to take advantage of the things that you forget or miss as the real world (who is a complete bitch) is wont to do. Though I have developed a dice system (finally) to keep my wiles in check.

The new world is a harsh one, the natives can be restless and there are diseases that are unknown and can have devastating consequences to your people.

This post is a gauge of interest before throwing it together. I know that I personally don't have the best track records when it comes to games at times...but, I intend on this one to be rather simple in the approach. Also, the one benefit of the "elected gov." being the one who directs the common people, means I don't have to.

Things you'll need to play:
Help decide what country you're from, ocean access not required.
Player Name
Job Skill Assignment
Basic appearance, if you wish to provide it.
Backstory, not required, but if you wish to create one you may.
A bag containing some your things that you brought with you. (This can be nearly anything you want within reason, you are moving to a new world after all and probably never coming home. It cannot be a "Tool of the trade", as those are given specifically by the crown and probably not yours to take with you anyways.)

Start date would be near the end of August. And unlike in the past, updates will be sporadic, would like to do 4/week, but might be less.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 19 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Colonizing the New World

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 am

Player Name: Thormod Thorgilsson
Job Skill Assignment:
  • Blacksmith: 3
  • Carpenter: 1
  • Soldier: 1
Basic Appearance: Stoic demeanor, black hair and a slightly redder beard often in two braids worn over the shoulder and joined in the back while smithing to avoid singeing them.
Backstory: Former soldier, mostly serving in a support role for the military as a blacksmith. Carpentry skills are mostly tied to smithing (ie, can put a handle on things, knows the basics of woodworking.).
A bag containing some your things: Small stone figurine, tools and weapons.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Colonizing the New World (Open to all)

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am

Well, every town needs an inn!

Name: Freya Olafsdottir
Appearance: Blond, blue-eyed; fairly large build of someone who does physical labor for but living and
plenty of food, as may be expected of a farmers daughter.

Background: A farmer's daughter, she is practical and doesn't suffer fools. She grew up tending her father's farm, but her main job was to brew beer from the grain. She is pretty decent at it.

Skills:
Brewing: 3
Farming: 2
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:53 am

*cough* vikings *cough* half a millenium before *cough* :p

I'm interested in giving it a shot granted I've not been that great with keeping track of these kind of games as they have continued onwards.

I've yet to decide what to play but I'm thinking of something with only one skill to speak of so a suggestion from my fellow players would be appreciated before I pick something weird and useless for us all :p
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:25 am

Human understanding of it at the time was kind of meh, but medical doctor? Or a naturalist sent to catalog New World species? Lifetime military person 'retiring' to adventure? You're a lumberjack and you're okay?

*I'd be down for the concept of being from a "Viking country" looking to re-establish itself in the New World following the discovery and colonization by other European powers.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 am

I'll be taking care of most if not all of the housekeeping. Players need only post actions.. Though the gov. will be a little more involved.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:00 am

Yeah, Vikings are cool :D depends what badge is comfortable with of course but that'd be fun!

As for skills, I think about anything works right now from builders to hunters and doctors. We're going to need shelter, food and water; some way of keeping wild predators away; and medicine for when we get sick.

Every one of those jobs can be broken down a ton of ways... Lumberjack / builder might be most immediately useful, but we could use hunters /fishers for the winter.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:30 am

I'm okay with Vikings... I think it makes the story funnier.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Doctor is good to have a high rank in. I assume it's a complex skill so it only gets 1+ skill+tot for curing people.

So far I'm just at non describt doctor but I've got plenty of time to figure out something it seems :)

Skills
Doctor 4
Botanist 1
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:30 pm

1 jar of leeches coming right up. :D

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:21 am

Eh, what the hell. Seems interesting enough- Remind me to make a proper character later when I have the time to do it... I was figuring miner + something else for now? Probably lumber at least, so I'd be delivering a lot of raw resources... Need a dedicated supplier, Spider? :P

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 am

Yeah, I'm assuming we will start with some materials, but we'll need to procure more to keep going...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:13 am

You'll also want to start trying to figure out which one of you will be the Gov. upon arrival at the colony site, wherever that settlement turns out to be.

Currently doing some research into colonial tech as well as "viking" leadership in the 1500's. Very interesting stuff. As I said, this is a re-imagining of the colonies, so while I will draw somewhat on early colonial maps, I'm also leaning heavily toward making up some of my own crude maps.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 am

My brewer / farmer wouldn't be interested in governance.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:20 am

Not sure any of our character concepts seem cut out for Governership... if I might make a suggestion...

There was someone who was tasked with being the Governor, but they took ill on the trip over and didn't make it. We decided that leadership should be alternating, and either talk it out as our characters, last one to say "not it", or a drawing of straws for first crack at it?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:22 am

My (probably going to be a) hermit character won't really be interested in being a governor, either.

He will probably be the one rising up against the monarchy if it's ruled by an unsavory fellow, though, like this one "doctor"... :roll:

But yeah, what Spider is suggesting might work.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 am

Well, if you can't decide among yourselves, I can always roll for it...where's burns when you need him, I think he would gladly take up the burden of governship. :D

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:24 am

Yup, unless someone actively wants to be gov. I'd be fine with that suggestion.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:17 pm

I'd like to play.
I'm fine with thinks m0rt as (first) governor.

Most info is still there, backstory pending (though optional).
► Show Spoiler

This is just for my own convenience:
► Show Spoiler
So, ofc, with any new game, I got a couple of questions:
*) does brewer cover only brewing of beer or other things, too (e.g. potions for healing, or high proof stuff like rum etc.)?
*) is cooking a profession or is it assumed that the food grown in fields/fished up in nets/wrestled from game animals can be processed into edible form easily enough without someone dedicated to that task?
*) What exactly does the hunter skill pertain? Is it finding animals, or killing them? What about traps? What about butchering them (with maximum meat and resource - like sinews - gain, ideally)? What about skinning them (fur/hide for leather and/or pelts)? Can they tan those fur/hides, or is that a different job? Or create useful stuff (e.g. clothes, shoes, tents,...) from those items?
*) similar, does a farmer know how to process crops (after they have been grown, brought up, kept pest and disease free) into some usable form? How to store them so they won't spoil? What about non-edible crops (e.g. cotton, tobacco, ...), can they help with processing those into wares (e.g. cloth, cigars) ?
*) is there something like magic in this world, or is it more or less "earth"? What about alchemy (e.g. gunpowder)?
*) is it likely we'll get any animals sent with us (in the first trip)?

I'm asking all these as I'm trying to decide which job-skills to invest into. ;)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 pm

I love to answer questions:
1. Brewer would cover all things brewing for alcoholic reasons. That could be beer, whiskey, rum, whatever you have the resources for. Potions of healing on the hand would be more likely under the doctors abilities, though would be a "poultice of herbs or bandages" there are no, "healing potions" per se.

2. Processing of foods lies within that job skill branches abilities.
A farmer would be able to (should the building exist) grind grain and preserve fruits, etc.
A hunter (should the building exist) would be able to smoke meat and skin animals. This would include simple tanning.

3. Somewhat covered above but I'll expand. Hunting is a skill for both properly finding and killing animals, this includes the knowledge of building and using traps, though they would need materials from a carpenter (or his help) in order to build said traps. Butchering of said animals is also in their wheelhouse and they would have knowledge and ability to do this. Now, I'm planning to expand on the game resource wise as we progress through it and I don't like giving too many ideas away, but, lets talk about hunting today vs. hunting back then. Depending on the time of the year, the hunter might travel several miles away from civilization to find and kill lets say a deer, or worse..a buffalo. They would more than likely carve off what they could easily carry, and the choicest cuts of meat and leave the rest. This is the disparity you see in 1+JS+ToT. There may be ways you discover that allow you to increase the amount of food you get from animals, but I'll let you discover them. Correct, hunting would also provide some pelts at the rate of 1dx (Where X = 1+JS+ToT) Basically, you will only get as many skins as you gets animals, but you may get less skins than animals. And yes, hunters would also have a precursor knowledge of tanning hides for later use. But, there actual use would be another job skill, most likely a <leather worker> job skill (again blanking on a good name for them. Something like weaver/clothesmaker)

4. Yes for your first part, processing into usable wares no, that would be a new profession. Tobaccoist creates cigars, Weavers use cotton to make stuff.

5. As in those days, Religion will play somewhat of an important role, less if you're planning on being vikings though. What supernatural elements you will encounter will be "tribal magics". But know that for a "mostly white" European to make inroads into such "magic" will be met with high suspicion, so...we'll see what happens in the game if you attempt to move in that direction.

6. Farming job skill also covers animals somewhat.

^The thing is, while I go into expansive explanation here, in the end, base numbers is all that will remain, you'll be given some seeds by the crown and plant them to create "food", and the brewer will spend "food" to make into booze/beer. <- Unless specific non-food based things like "hops" are grown, but then that still cuts into "Food" production.
In the end, my goal is to make everything as straight forward as possible. When a hunter hunts, he'll get food and skins, it probably won't be broken down much further than that, because that makes everything more complicated than it needs to be.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 pm

Sounds good. Is building the same as carpentering and/or wood working?

I mean there's buildings made from other stuff than wood (e.g. stone, bricks, loam, ...) as well, and/or you can make many different things from wood - like houses (building), furniture, tools, ships, stockades (not sure that qualifies as building), ...

Musings about what the colony might need
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:40 pm

Hmm, a "constructor" could potentially be useful as well... Although to be completely honest, I'm not sure if that should be a proficiency, perhaps the exception to the rule- The thing is simply that if we take on a dedicated constructor, construction is likely something we'll want happening at all times and consecutively, something that player would be forced into each turn- Why do X when we need to construct Y and his bonus could be so helpful in doing that?

Which leaves the player in question with two choices- Either he says "fuck that" and does what he wants regardless, (which tbf would be how I'd want to see it happen) which leads to his skills not being used as others perform construction through some other methods, or he tries to listen to the others as much as possible on what he wants to do... At which point the player in question could just as easily be replaced by a npc vote bot.

Just my two cents on what is probably a bit melodramatic, but I hope you see the point I'm trying to make.

Anyways, for what I want to pick for my own skills... I'm still thinking things through- My idea for now was a "hermit" who spends his time lumberjacking and selling off the wood for other stuff, together with some other stuff... But looking things through, Badge, I think to be getting the impression that taking "higher level" processing is overall worth more "bang for your buck"? Or am I misunderstanding? Basically it seems to me that, at lower levels of production, you are already guaranteed to, for example, get 2d10 in gathering something- While at the highest level you only get a single 1, but both add their job skill... So assuming you have +2 for example, in one scenario you potentially only add 1/10th of what you would otherwise gather, and in the other you triple your investment?

Not that having raw resource collection in some form or another couldn't be handy, but probably useful info as I am still mulling things over...

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:46 pm

Mmm... Builder would be very useful, but I don't see it being worse than e.g. food production in terms of benefiting from the focused attention of a specialist. I mean a farmer has to make food every day, and a hunter has to hunt.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Do remember that the gov. can focus on whatever task they want. And the number of npcs you command is 100 - # of players.

Also... The carpenter skill could be used for building wooden buildings. Whereas masonry could be used for both the quarrying of stone and building of stone.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:56 am

That's true. In which case, starting with a food/shelter bonus would probably be a good thing for the gov.